View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 What the hell is wrong with this country? 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post What the hell is wrong with this country?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/20 ... y-funerals

Quote:
Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in Iraq, learned Friday that a federal appeals court is requiring him to pay more than $16,000 in legal fees to the Westboro Baptist Church, a Christian fundamentalist group that demonstrates during military funerals to gain attention for its antigovernment, antihomosexual message. The group rallied at Matthew Snyder’s funeral in March 2006 in Westminster, Md., chanting antigay slogans and carrying signs such as “Thank God for dead soldiers,” says Albert Snyder’s attorney, Sean Summers.

The group was protesting about 30 feet from the church’s main entrance, and Mr. Snyder had to enter through a separate entrance, Mr. Summers says.

Snyder subsequently sued the Westboro group for emotional distress and won a $5 million judgment. But on appeal, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed, finding in favor of protecting the protesters' free-speech rights. About three weeks ago, the Supreme Court agreed to take the case and is expected to hear it in the fall. (Last year, the high court had declined to take up the issue.) Meanwhile, the circuit court has ordered Snyder, a salesman, to pay the church’s court expenses.

Snyder, of York, Pa., told Fox News on Tuesday that he would not pay the Westboro Baptist Church "until I hear from the Supreme Court."

“It’s fair to say that they are not getting any Christmas cards from Mr. Snyder,” adds Summers, in a phone interview. “He obviously thinks they are despicable and doesn’t understand why they would target him.”

The Westboro group has been protesting at military members’ funerals for years. The church leader, Fred Phelps, preaches that American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are punishment for the nation’s tolerance of homosexuality. (He was among those banned from Britain last year for fostering hatred or extremism.) The protests have nothing to do with the fallen service members' sexual orientation, and the church says its protests are held within a “lawful distance” of the funerals.

Ultimately, say some, the church protests are a matter of constitutionally protected free speech.

“I really don’t see that [the protest] was a violation of the First Amendment [principles]. It was a violation of decorum and good taste and all sorts of other things, but not a violation of the First Amendment,” says Charles Gittins, a civilian lawyer in Virginia.

But Summers argues that his client’s right to peaceful assembly and freedom of religion were infringed by the protests and that, unlike at a public park where people are free to express themselves, a funeral setting draws a “captive audience” that requires attendees to be in a particular location – they can’t simply walk away.

Westboro Baptist Church, which is based in Kansas, plans to protest in Florida on Wednesday, outside a funeral for a Marine killed in Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan on March 22.

“Military funerals have become pagan orgies of idolatrous blasphemy, where they pray to the dunghill gods of Sodom and play taps to a fallen fool,” states a press release posted on the church’s website, announcing the rally at a memorial service for Lance Cpl. Justin Wilson. At the bottom of the press release are printed the words “Thank God for IEDs,” referring to the roadside bombs that have killed thousands of troops in both war

I sure hope ther Supreme Court overturns this mockery of justice. Free speech isn't 100% free. You can't lie (libel or slander).
You can't as the saying goes, "Yell fire in a crowded theater"
You can't threaten the life of the President.

But you can openly cheer for the deaths of US solders, be traitors to your country, and harass a funeral service? Surely what this hate group falls in line with those other bans on free speech.

I'm so pissed right now my blood is boiling.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: What the hell is wrong with this country?
Issue the draft, and send those freaks over there...they want freedoms? Then go fight for them, losers.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:25 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

They are definitely dispicable, but as much as it angers us, they may have a right under the Constitution to do what they are doing.

Bill O'Reilly offered to pay the $16,000 for Mr. Snyder.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am embarrased that they are called fundamentalist christians and that they are recognized as a church. I don't know how they rationalize what they are doing with the New Testament teachings that are supposed to govern the lives of the followers of Christ.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
I am embarrased that they are called fundamentalist christians and that they are recognized as a church. I don't know how they rationalize what they are doing with the New Testament teachings that are supposed to govern the lives of the followers of Christ.

It turns my stomach as well. Jesus is not in this.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

AQNOR wrote:

I don't think they've gotten to the New Testament yet. Most of their behavior seems to be pretty Old Testament.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
They are definitely dispicable, but as much as it angers us, they may have a right under the Constitution to do what they are doing.

Never thought I'd say this.

AWESOME job by Bill O'Reilly.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:18 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I don't think they've gotten to the New Testament yet. Most of their behavior seems to be pretty Old Testament.

Yeah. I've also wondered if their behavior can be considered treason. I mean, they are openly rooting for the death of soldiers, celebrating when they do, cheering for 9/11, etc. Certainly that is treason.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

They are a blight on Christianity and traitors to the American people.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:55 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Not being a religious person I am sure that group although calling themselves a church & christian in no way has the values or morals of real churches or christians.
What is wrong with this country ... we need to stop the hate.
Usual differences in the past such as religious beleifs , political party preference , choice , environmental issues , etc. were just that ... people realizing they have & are entitled to difference of beleifs & opinions. They were able to move on from that & continue relationships & friendships. Now it has gotten so extreme that violence has replaced acceptance. Politicians no matter what their party fail to unite , the media extreme on both sides continue to divide.
I just cannot watch the news anymore ... school beatings leading to death , honest hard working families losing their homes while the scammers & cheaters continue to fluorish , terrorism around the world & so on. Our so called leaders & media continue to play politics & partisanship.
What kind of world will it be for our children?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Not being a religious person I am sure that group although calling themselves a church & christian in no way has the values or morals of real churches or christians.
What is wrong with this country ... we need to stop the hate.
Usual differences in the past such as religious beleifs , political party preference , choice , environmental issues , etc. were just that ... people realizing they have & are entitled to difference of beleifs & opinions. They were able to move on from that & continue relationships & friendships. Now it has gotten so extreme that violence has replaced acceptance. Politicians no matter what their party fail to unite , the media extreme on both sides continue to divide.
I just cannot watch the news anymore ... school beatings leading to death , honest hard working families losing their homes while the scammers & cheaters continue to fluorish , terrorism around the world & so on. Our so called leaders & media continue to play politics & partisanship.
What kind of world will it be for our children?

:clap:

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

1984phins wrote:
Rich wrote:

:)

You have to think he accepted the help. I wouldn't turn it down.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:25 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well, they won in the Supreme Court. Credit must be given to Alito, who was the lone dissent.

I think we can all get behind taxing this "church" so much that they don't have the funds to inflict emotional distress on more grieving families. They have already promised to double their funeral protests....

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Watch him with an open mind, he does this kind of stuff a lot.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 pm

1984phins wrote:
Well, they won in the Supreme Court.

Yep, I called it.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:

I'm with you on both parts of this.

This family should be a shining example of how not to educate your children.
They're an embarassment to the human race.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]