View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 I bet Matt Moore is laughing right about....now 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post I bet Matt Moore is laughing right about....now
Jipped outta his starter position for a promising rookie...yeah, good choice coaches, it is paying dividends. I can only imagine what Matt Moore is thinking right about now.

:hithead:

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: I bet Matt Moore is laughing right about....now
rhoads30 wrote:
Jipped outta his starter position for a promising rookie...yeah, good choice coaches, it is paying dividends. I can only imagine what Matt Moore is thinking right about now.

"Thank God I'm not in there having my career killed by this joke of a supporting cast."

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

"Thank God I'm not in there having my career killed by this joke of a supporting cast."

Haha, and it is tough to tell how he would be doing now of course. Just another poor decision by our coaching staff IMO.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 pm
Profile WWW

rhoads30 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

Haha, and it is tough to tell how he would be doing now of course. Just another poor decision by our coaching staff IMO.

I don't think so. I think they're about the same time with Moore or Tannehill under center.

As long as Ryan doesn't get killed, I think it was only positive to have him get the experience.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't think so. I think they're about the same time with Moore or Tannehill under center.

As long as Ryan doesn't get killed, I think it was only positive to have him get the experience.

I agree. Besides, Tannehill outplayed Matt Moore in the preseason. Moore was having a hard time adjusting to the west coast offense. He was horrible. Do some of the Matt Moore supporters even remember that?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I agree. Besides, Tannehill outplayed Matt Moore in the preseason. Moore was having a hard time adjusting to the west coast offense. He was horrible. Do some of the Matt Moore supporters even remember that?

Remember what? :)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Do some of the Matt Moore supporters even remember that?

All 27 whopping snaps in the preseason? Let's forget about what he actually looked like in a regular season game vs. the Jets and concentrate on that disaster that was this franchise's preseason.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The same Matt Moore who threw a pick agaisnt the Giants last year in crunch time right? Or is this the same Matt Moore that did not beat a winning team last year? Yeah....

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

It could be worse....he could be starting for the Jets....

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Matt Moore shouldn't be laughing at anyone, he's a backup quarterback on a 4-6 football team and he lost his job (if it ever really was his job) to a rookie.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Do some of the Matt Moore supporters even remember that?

All 27 whopping snaps in the preseason? Let's forget about what he actually looked like in a regular season game vs. the Jets and concentrate on that disaster that was this franchise's preseason.

You act as if Moore played a great game against the Jets??? He was wildly mediocre in that game. He completed 57% of his passes and only threw for 131 yards and 1 touchdown. If Moore had put those numbers up against the Bills, we would have lost. Wake up, Moore was game managing, he wasn't the reason we won that game.

As for Tannehill, the kid is a true rookie starter trying to prop up a very bad supporting cast. Not only that, but people seem to forget that he's playing through an injury and has taken a lot of bad shots this season because of poor protection. Tannehill is a tough kid competing his butt off. He's going to break Marino's rookie passer record next week. That is a heck of an achievement and one more for the Miami Dolphin record books.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
You act as if Moore played a great game against the Jets??? He was wildly mediocre in that game. He completed 57% of his passes and only threw for 131 yards and 1 touchdown. If Moore had put those numbers up against the Bills, we would have lost. Wake up, Moore was game managing, he wasn't the reason we won that game.

Wildy mediocre? He had his offensive coordinator gloating. Dude comes in on a moment's notice, doesn't even get 10% of the reps during the week and whoa and behold the team plays well and blows out their rival. Haha I still see your upset he didn't fall on his face. Just goes to show you how meaningless the preseason sampling was.

Quote:
As for Tannehill, the kid is a true rookie starter trying to prop up a very bad supporting cast. Not only that, but people seem to forget that he's playing through an injury and has taken a lot of bad shots this season because of poor protection. Tannehill is a tough kid competing his butt off. He's going to break Marino's rookie passer record next week. That is a heck of an achievement and one more for the Miami Dolphin record books.

This message brought to you by the Tanny for President Foundation.

BTW, I would hope Tannehill could break Marino's rookie record ........

AFTER ALL, MARINO ONLY PLAYED 11 GAMES IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR!

...... and what are we talking about anyway? Yards? Pfffft. 20TD's and only 6 INT's his rookie season. A 96.0 QB rating. Is Tanny beating those numbers? Give me a break pumper. It's shameful how you slyly try to draw any parallels between the two guys.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Wildy mediocre? He had his offensive coordinator gloating. Dude comes in on a moment's notice, doesn't even get 10% of the reps during the week and whoa and behold the team plays well and blows out their rival. Haha I still see your upset he didn't fall on his face. Just goes to show you how meaningless the preseason sampling was.

Quote:

...... and what are we talking about anyway? Yards? Pfffft. 20TD's and only 6 INT's his rookie season. A 96.0 QB rating. Is Tanny beating those numbers? Give me a break pumper. It's shameful how you slyly try to draw any parallels between the two guys.

:yay:

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Quote:

Yards is a reflection of movement of the offense. The lack of touchdowns reflects the lack of playmakers he has. As for your arguement that he won't be doing it in an equal number of games, he'll be breaking it in 11 games, the same number as Marino. 10 if you don't count the Jets game where he got injured. Did you forget what week we're in???

So technically he'll pass the mark with one fewer game than Marino. While the touchdowns and interceptions are different, it's because Dan inherited a very different Miami Dolphins team than the one Tannehill is playing on right now. I'd hardly call Bess and Hartline the second coming of Duper and Clayton. Marino was throwing to some of the greatest pass catchers the Dolphins have every had, Marino had two #1s, Tannehill is throwing to a couple of #3s. Maybe Hartline can be a solid #2 if he keeps improving, but the way opposing defenses have been dogging him and Bess with a little extra attention makes me think not.

Marino walked into a championship franchise with a hall-of-fame head coach. Tannehill is on a bad football team that is rebuilding with a rookie head coach. Big difference. So don't call a break pump unless you want to tell the whole story. Cause I'm not the only one who needs their brakes pumped every now and again. This kid is doing something rare, whether you want to admit it or not. Just because he's struggling right now doesn't mean he'll finish the season that way, and when people look back on this season, they'll remember the records, not the three or four games that year where he played terrible.

And yes I call 57% completion, 131 yards, and 1 touchdown mediocre. Nobody in the league puts up so little yet gets that much praise. Those are mediocre game manager numbers. Those are veteran backup quarterback numbers.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Yards is a reflection of movement of the offense. The lack of touchdowns reflects the lack of playmakers he has.

What the hell did you seriously just type? You still need players making plays to "move" the offense. Tanny isn't out there tossing the pigskin to himself. Lack of touchdowns represents both players not making plays and Tanny not executing in the redzone. Continue to pass the buck all you want.

Quote:
As for your arguement that he won't be doing it in an equal number of games, he'll be breaking it in 11 games, the same number as Marino. 10 if you don't count the Jets game where he got injured. Did you forget what week we're in???

So technically he'll pass the mark with one fewer game than Marino.

Apparently you haven't been able to understand a simple concept. Marino only played 11 games his rookie season. That's count it .... 5 GAMES LESS THAN A FULL SEASON. Who the hell cares that Tanny is surpassing that? Oh my bad what a crowning achievement. A whopping 212 yards a game .... LMFAO. Marino's yardage total his rookie season was the 2nd lowest of any season he had. The lowest came in 1993 when he tore his achilles in Week 5.

Quote:
While the touchdowns and interceptions are different, it's because Dan inherited a very different Miami Dolphins team than the one Tannehill is playing on right now. I'd hardly call Bess and Hartline the second coming of Duper and Clayton. Marino was throwing to some of the greatest pass catchers the Dolphins have every had, Marino had two #1s, Tannehill is throwing to a couple of #3s. Maybe Hartline can be a solid #2 if he keeps improving, but the way opposing defenses have been dogging him and Bess with a little extra attention makes me think not.

In 1983 the Mark's Brothers were not the duo they eventually became. Have you even bothered to look at the numbers before you began typing out that noise? Mark Duper had 1003 yards and 10 TD's, but Mark Clayton 114 yards and 1 TD.

Quote:
Marino walked into a championship franchise with a hall-of-fame head coach. Tannehill is on a bad football team that is rebuilding with a rookie head coach. Big difference. So don't call a break pump unless you want to tell the whole story. Cause I'm not the only one who needs their brakes pumped every now and again. This kid is doing something rare, whether you want to admit it or not. Just because he's struggling right now doesn't mean he'll finish the season that way, and when people look back on this season, they'll remember the records, not the three or four games that year where he played terrible.

Hahah now we're a bad football team where-as before you maintained we were an underrated football team.

What is this "rare" thing he is doing? 5th worst rated passer in the NFL is a rare accomplishment? 11 INT's to 6 TD's is? Please explain what you're babbling about.

Quote:
And yes I call 57% completion, 131 yards, and 1 touchdown mediocre. Nobody in the league puts up so little yet gets that much praise. Those are mediocre game manager numbers. Those are veteran backup quarterback numbers.

Speaking of mediocre numbers ..... Ryan Tannehill. Actually they're worse ..... but wait it's because of the players around him right? But then that means Moore's numbers would inherently be better with playmakers too right?

LOL ..... everything you say is so ironically self-serving.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Marino made those teams better than what they were and that's what great QBs do. Look at the Colts. They won 2 games last year and they changed thier QB, do they all the sudden have a good team? No, Luck makes them better. Take a look around the league and it's all over the place. You need a great QB to win in this league.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

With the pass happy rules in the NFL now, Marino would have thrown for 6,000 yards in a season. He took the team to a Super Bowl in his second year. He never had a solid running game to work with, nor did he benefit from a top notch defense. He was the franchise. The only legit comparison between Tannehill and Marino is that they both played QB for the Dolphins......aside from that, there is no comparison. Tannehill had some nice games against bad teams, but he has yet to come through in the clutch.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:18 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The only legit comparison between Tannehill and Marino is that they both played QB for the Dolphins......aside from that, there is no comparison. Tannehill had some nice games against bad teams, but he has yet to come through in the clutch.

Yep. look what happened last year when Manning got hurt. A good QB can hide a bad team. Marino did it for years, just like Brady has done it.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Makchell wrote:
The only legit comparison between Tannehill and Marino is that they both played QB for the Dolphins......aside from that, there is no comparison. Tannehill had some nice games against bad teams, but he has yet to come through in the clutch.

Yep. look what happened last year when Manning got hurt. A good QB can hide a bad team. Marino did it for years, just like Brady has done it.

So the team Marino took over, which went to the Super Bowl the season before he was drafted, was a bad team?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Did it for years isn't "every year" so no that wasn't a bad team

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:

So the team Marino took over, which went to the Super Bowl the season before he was drafted, was a bad team?

I didn't say that. They got to the Super Bowl the previous year, a freaky one with the strike and short season. They went 3-3 in 1983 before he started and only lost one more regular season game that year with Marino as QB.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Quote:

It is even more impressive when you look back and see that Marino was benched the final two regular season games in his rookie year since they had the division wrapped up. So he only played in 9 regular season games.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
It is even more impressive when you look back and see that Marino was benched the final two regular season games in his rookie year since they had the division wrapped up. So he only played in 9 regular season games.

Stop trying to take away from Tanny's magical season. Image

LOL.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

^
^
Love that one....

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Yards is a reflection of movement of the offense. The lack of touchdowns reflects the lack of playmakers he has.

What the hell did you seriously just type? You still need players making plays to "move" the offense. Tanny isn't out there tossing the pigskin to himself. Lack of touchdowns represents both players not making plays and Tanny not executing in the redzone. Continue to pass the buck all you want.

Quote:
As for your arguement that he won't be doing it in an equal number of games, he'll be breaking it in 11 games, the same number as Marino. 10 if you don't count the Jets game where he got injured. Did you forget what week we're in???

So technically he'll pass the mark with one fewer game than Marino.

Apparently you haven't been able to understand a simple concept. Marino only played 11 games his rookie season. That's count it .... 5 GAMES LESS THAN A FULL SEASON. Who the hell cares that Tanny is surpassing that? Oh my bad what a crowning achievement. A whopping 212 yards a game .... LMFAO. Marino's yardage total his rookie season was the 2nd lowest of any season he had. The lowest came in 1993 when he tore his achilles in Week 5.

Quote:
While the touchdowns and interceptions are different, it's because Dan inherited a very different Miami Dolphins team than the one Tannehill is playing on right now. I'd hardly call Bess and Hartline the second coming of Duper and Clayton. Marino was throwing to some of the greatest pass catchers the Dolphins have every had, Marino had two #1s, Tannehill is throwing to a couple of #3s. Maybe Hartline can be a solid #2 if he keeps improving, but the way opposing defenses have been dogging him and Bess with a little extra attention makes me think not.

In 1983 the Mark's Brothers were not the duo they eventually became. Have you even bothered to look at the numbers before you began typing out that noise? Mark Duper had 1003 yards and 10 TD's, but Mark Clayton 114 yards and 1 TD.

Quote:

Hahah now we're a bad football team where-as before you maintained we were an underrated football team.

What is this "rare" thing he is doing? 5th worst rated passer in the NFL is a rare accomplishment? 11 INT's to 6 TD's is? Please explain what you're babbling about.

Quote:

Speaking of mediocre numbers ..... Ryan Tannehill. Actually they're worse ..... but wait it's because of the players around him right? But then that means Moore's numbers would inherently be better with playmakers too right?

LOL ..... everything you say is so ironically self-serving.

Tannehill is putting up bad numbers because he's a true rookie starter on a bad football team. Moore wouldn't put up better numbers if he were named the starter, because Moore quite frankly isn't as good as Tannehill. Period. End of story. Moore lost to a rookie. A 5th year veteran couldn't even outplay a rookie. Heck, Moore couldn't even beat Henne for the job. That's all you need to know about Moore, is he gets beat by any form of legitimate competition. He's a solid backup, but that's it, it's all he'll likely ever be.

Back to the whole Marino/Tannehill conversation we were having. I'm not saying Tannehill is going to be another Marino. There will never be another Dan Marino. I'm not even saying Tannehill will be like Marino, he likely won't. But he still has every chance to be a great quarterback. Whether you like what he's doing or not, the majority opinion from writers and experts is that this kid has what it takes, he's just playing on a bad team without playmakers. I'm simply ageeing with what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing about the kid.

When it comes to Tannehill breaking Marino's record this week. Yes it is an accomplishment. It's a team record. Yes his QBR isn't great, he's had some significant struggles, but I think it is something he can overcome with time, experience, and a better supporting cast. I'm still high on this kid's future.

You say the Mark's brothers weren't a dynamic duo, yet Duper caught for over 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns that season, that's a true number one wideout, something Tannehill lacks. Those numbers are even impressive in today's NFL.

If you want to know why my opinion of the team changes on a consistent basis, it's because we're a very inconsistent team right now. Week to week you never know what you're going to get. Just three weeks ago we were an up an coming team with a winning record. Jump forward to today we're on a three game skid and it looks like teams have figured us out offensively. So until our team settles down and adopts an identity, I will continue to change my opinion as the state of the team changes. What I won't do is stubbornly cling to my opinions despite what is happening in front of my own eyes.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Tannehill is putting up bad numbers because he's a true rookie starter on a bad football team. Moore wouldn't put up better numbers if he were named the starter, because Moore quite frankly isn't as good as Tannehill. Period. End of story. Moore lost to a rookie. A 5th year veteran couldn't even outplay a rookie. Heck, Moore couldn't even beat Henne for the job. That's all you need to know about Moore, is he gets beat by any form of legitimate competition. He's a solid backup, but that's it, it's all he'll likely ever be.

Tannehill is putting up bad numbers because he's a rookie who needs lots of work, regardless of the players around him.

You can opine all you want about what Moore would've done in the regular season, but quite frankly it's rooted in your self-serving argument instead of any kind of fact. He showed in the Jet game he could come in and lead the team to TD's. You keep talking this nonsense about how Matt Moore lost out to Tannehill, but you even admitted yourself the job was Tanny's from the get go a few weeks back. Did you just conveniently forget about that? Go figure the kid drafted #8 who previously played under Sherman's offense in college would win the QB battle on Joe Philbin's "It wasn't based numbers" explanation. C'mon man. C'mon. Not to mention the fans wanted the kid.

You keep bringing up Matt Moore and it just shows me how you really don't have a leg to stand on in regards to Tanny's struggles. You just keep side-tracking the conversation.

Quote:
Back to the whole Marino/Tannehill conversation we were having. I'm not saying Tannehill is going to be another Marino. There will never be another Dan Marino. I'm not even saying Tannehill will be like Marino, he likely won't. But he still has every chance to be a great quarterback. Whether you like what he's doing or not, the majority opinion from writers and experts is that this kid has what it takes, he's just playing on a bad team without playmakers. I'm simply ageeing with what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing about the kid.

The majority of experts say what now? That he has every bit of a chance of becoming one of the greats? Please link me to these "majority" as well as their credentials. All you're "simply doing" is parroting a few articles you've probably read that happen to agree with your already cemented belief about a guy who's not competing at a level worthy of your pumping.

Quote:
When it comes to Tannehill breaking Marino's record this week. Yes it is an accomplishment. It's a team record. Yes his QBR isn't great, he's had some significant struggles, but I think it is something he can overcome with time, experience, and a better supporting cast. I'm still high on this kid's future.

Bro ..... Frustrated even corrected me in that Marino didn't play the final two games in his rookie year so his grand total was 9 freaking games and you're here trying to play up this amazing accomplishment of Tannehill surpassing his rookie yardage mark. Give me a break. How many "rookie" QB's have we even had to surpass such a tiny number?

Quote:
You say the Mark's brothers weren't a dynamic duo, yet Duper caught for over 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns that season, that's a true number one wideout, something Tannehill lacks. Those numbers are even impressive in today's NFL.

Are you kidding me? Brian Hartline yardage-wise is already at 80% of Duper's . He and Bess have already surpassed their combined yardage and we still have 6 games to go. Touchdowns are the lacking department and ONCE AGAIN the reason involves Tanny not "absolves". He has as much to do with it as his receivers.

Quote:
If you want to know why my opinion of the team changes on a consistent basis, it's because we're a very inconsistent team right now. Week to week you never know what you're going to get. Just three weeks ago we were an up an coming team with a winning record. Jump forward to today we're on a three game skid and it looks like teams have figured us out offensively. So until our team settles down and adopts an identity, I will continue to change my opinion as the state of the team changes. What I won't do is stubbornly cling to my opinions despite what is happening in front of my own eyes.

What you just typed is so completely ironic. You preach patience to other people when it comes to the team and to Tanny ...... and yet you've have to keep swapping your stances. That sounds like somebody who actually doesn't have a pulse of the team and should stop making such sweeping generalizations.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Tannehill is putting up bad numbers because he's a rookie who needs lots of work, regardless of the players around him.

You can opine all you want about what Moore would've done in the regular season, but quite frankly it's rooted in your self-serving argument instead of any kind of fact. He showed in the Jet game he could come in and lead the team to TD's. You keep talking this nonsense about how Matt Moore lost out to Tannehill, but you even admitted yourself the job was Tanny's from the get go a few weeks back. Did you just conveniently forget about that? Go figure the kid drafted #8 who previously played under Sherman's offense in college would win the QB battle on Joe Philbin's "It wasn't based numbers" explanation. C'mon man. C'mon. Not to mention the fans wanted the kid.

You keep bringing up Matt Moore and it just shows me how you really don't have a leg to stand on in regards to Tanny's struggles. You just keep side-tracking the conversation.

Quote:

The majority of experts say what now? That he has every bit of a chance of becoming one of the greats? Please link me to these "majority" as well as their credentials. All you're "simply doing" is parroting a few articles you've probably read that happen to agree with your already cemented belief about a guy who's not competing at a level worthy of your pumping.

Quote:

Bro ..... Frustrated even corrected me in that Marino didn't play the final two games in his rookie year so his grand total was 9 freaking games and you're here trying to play up this amazing accomplishment of Tannehill surpassing his rookie yardage mark. Give me a break. How many "rookie" QB's have we even had to surpass such a tiny number?

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Brian Hartline yardage-wise is already at 80% of Duper's . He and Bess have already surpassed their combined yardage and we still have 6 games to go. Touchdowns are the lacking department and ONCE AGAIN the reason involves Tanny not "absolves". He has as much to do with it as his receivers.

Quote:

What you just typed is so completely ironic. You preach patience to other people when it comes to the team and to Tanny ...... and yet you've have to keep swapping your stances. That sounds like somebody who actually doesn't have a pulse of the team and should stop making such sweeping generalizations.

Come on man, if you think your opinion of quarterbacks is any better than anyone else on this site then you need a wake up call. You're the same guy who said Kyle Orton was a no brainer and we should have gone after him. You then called Matt Moore a weak piece of competition for Henne after we failed to go after your boy Orton. Only to later praise Matt Moore and call him a potential franchise quarterback. All I'm saying is you've got your opinion of what a good quarterback looks like and I've got mine. You judge quarterbacks in a way that you see fit, and you think it's the only way to judge a quarterback. I've got mine. You can put his numbers out there all you want, I know the numbers, I see them too, but I also know that the numbers don't tell the whole story of what is happening with this team.

My opinion of Tannehill is he'll get two seasons. If he continues to play like this after his second season, then it will be time to move on and draft someone else. But I seriously doubt that will be the case. Philbin and Sherman are known for being able to groom quarterbacks. It's part of the reason I'm confident in Tannehill's development. The kid has a long ways to go before he can be considered a franchise quarterback, or even a solid starter, but he's shown me enough in this season thus far to have me optimistic about the future. He's shown flashes, whether it's the 400 yard game or the month of October where he posted a solid QB rating and we went 3-1. Flashes are what I wanted to see from Tannehill this season. I knew he'd be raw. But I also knew that getting his rookie season out of the way as soon as possible is what is best for the team going forward. I think in three years Tannehill will be the best quarterback in the AFC East, perhaps even the best in the AFC depending on how things shake out. While it's far from a guarantee, I still like his chances.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Come on man, if you think your opinion of quarterbacks is any better than anyone else on this site then you need a wake up call. You're the same guy who said Kyle Orton was a no brainer and we should have gone after him. You then called Matt Moore a weak piece of competition for Henne after we failed to go after your boy Orton. Only to later praise Matt Moore and call him a potential franchise quarterback. All I'm saying is you've got your opinion of what a good quarterback looks like and I've got mine. You judge quarterbacks in a way that you see fit, and you think it's the only way to judge a quarterback. I've got mine. You can put his numbers out there all you want, I know the numbers, I see them too, but I also know that the numbers don't tell the whole story of what is happening with this team.

Give me a break. Do we really want to get into a scorecard of player analysis? Or what about the claim you made that we don't need a true No.1 receiver based on your deep understanding of the WCO and how you were gushing about Cunningham, Matthews, Egnew, etc etc? My stance on Matt Moore changed after many weeks. It wasn't a ping pong contest every couple weeks as I'm talking about with your analysis of who this team is and who Tanny is as a QB at this stage.

I've never said the numbers are "everything". But I refuse to absolve Tanny in his role in this. He's had opportunities to make a few plays, especially late in games and it hasn't happened. Certainly it's not the amount guys like Rogers, Brees, etc have but still plays nonetheless. After all, aren't we trying to find a guy who can put the team on his shoulders? That was the knock on Moore last year, which I agreed with and said he needed to prove it this year.

Quote:
My opinion of Tannehill is he'll get two seasons. If he continues to play like this after his second season, then it will be time to move on and draft someone else. But I seriously doubt that will be the case. Philbin and Sherman are known for being able to groom quarterbacks. It's part of the reason I'm confident in Tannehill's development. The kid has a long ways to go before he can be considered a franchise quarterback, or even a solid starter, but he's shown me enough in this season thus far to have me optimistic about the future. He's shown flashes, whether it's the 400 yard game or the month of October where he posted a solid QB rating and we went 3-1. Flashes are what I wanted to see from Tannehill this season. I knew he'd be raw. But I also knew that getting his rookie season out of the way as soon as possible is what is best for the team going forward. I think in three years Tannehill will be the best quarterback in the AFC East, perhaps even the best in the AFC depending on how things shake out. While it's far from a guarantee, I still like his chances.

Well you're entitled to all those beliefs.

I have a very wise, very successful uncle who bestowed an expression upon me when I spent all of October doing some work for his hedge fund.

"If you're explaining, you're losing."

I happen to agree with him when applying the statement to what we're talking about. We've been down this road so many times arguing about not having enough weapons, the O-line being substandard .... yada yada yada. It's the same argument over and over again since Marino retired. I'm waiting to see "when" Tannehill can raise the level of play of the guys around him when it counts. A "franchise" field general tends to have that kind of effect. I also want to see his pocket presence pick up. He's regressed quite a bit in that category, some of which may have been due to the injury.

I've been sold on a false bill of goods called "potential" for a long time being a Dolphin fan. I don't bite on it anymore. Show me, don't tell me.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
I've been sold on a false bill of goods called "potential" for a long time being a Dolphin fan. I don't bite on it anymore. Show me, don't tell me.

Now that I can get on board with.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Give me a break. Do we really want to get into a scorecard of player analysis? Or what about the claim you made that we don't need a true No.1 receiver based on your deep understanding of the WCO and how you were gushing about Cunningham, Matthews, Egnew, etc etc? My stance on Matt Moore changed after many weeks. It wasn't a ping pong contest every couple weeks as I'm talking about with your analysis of who this team is and who Tanny is as a QB at this stage.

I've never said the numbers are "everything". But I refuse to absolve Tanny in his role in this. He's had opportunities to make a few plays, especially late in games and it hasn't happened. Certainly it's not the amount guys like Rogers, Brees, etc have but still plays nonetheless. After all, aren't we trying to find a guy who can put the team on his shoulders? That was the knock on Moore last year, which I agreed with and said he needed to prove it this year.

Quote:

Well you're entitled to all those beliefs.

I have a very wise, very successful uncle who bestowed an expression upon me when I spent all of October doing some work for his hedge fund.

"If you're explaining, you're losing."

I happen to agree with him when applying the statement to what we're talking about. We've been down this road so many times arguing about not having enough weapons, the O-line being substandard .... yada yada yada. It's the same argument over and over again since Marino retired. I'm waiting to see "when" Tannehill can raise the level of play of the guys around him when it counts. A "franchise" field general tends to have that kind of effect. I also want to see his pocket presence pick up. He's regressed quite a bit in that category, some of which may have been due to the injury.

You see, you're misunderstanding me again. I've never absolved Tannehill of anything. Like I said before, I'm simply defending the guy because it seems that many are going overboad in their criticism of the kid. Which is ok sometimes, I get it, people are frustrated. We were all flying high a few weeks ago, dreaming of playoffs, and when we came back crashing down we immediately want to point the finger at someone. The rookie quarterback is an easy target, especially when he's struggling.

I think Tannehill is going through a rough patch, much of which is linked to him being a rookie, and much of which is caused by factors around him. Can Tannehill improve, yes, but he can't do it all himself at this stage. You see flashes of it, for example the Rams game, where he can carry the team in a cose matchup. If you remember that game, we were easily outplayed, but yet Tannehill kept it close and won us the game by playing a very efficient game. He posted a 112 quarterback rating in that game. While the 400 yard game sticks out most in my mind, it was the Rams game that I was the most impressed with because it was a game we probably should have lost but didn't because Tannehill outplayed Bradford. While I would still categorize Tannehill as a game manager, I've seen elite flashes from the kid in a couple of games, flashes that he can be much more than a game manager.

That gives me the opinion that Tannehill's best days are in front of him. Right now he's probably going to have to adapt and grind out the rest of this season. But next year we're primed to improve with the most picks in the draft and the most $$$ in free agency. We'll see how our front office uses those tools to add talent. That said, I'm still not giving up on this season. I'm confident that if Tannehill can learn from his mistakes, and continue to have a short memory week to week, that he can come out of this season looking every bit as good as he did a month ago, and with this team winning a few more games. I'm still hopeful that he can help us hit my goal of 8-8 for the season. While I know it will be tough, especially considering the state of the team right now, I'm still hopeful they can pull it off. 8-8 with a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach is still an accomplishment, not a big one, but it's a sign of improvement over last season.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Now that I can get on board with.

We've all been sold the same crap guys. I get it. Unfortunately you don't get a whole lot from most rookie quarterbacks, you tend to rather get flashes. A perfect example would be Tannehill's and Luck's 400 yard games this year. You see that both of these guys have the potential to be elite passers if they continue to develop. But you also see that both Luck and Tannehill have two games this season where they've thrown 3 interceptions. So with rookies you tend to get a mixed bag. I get that your skeptical. I really do. I see your side of the arguement. All I'm really saying is try your best to be patient. That has been this fan base's achilles the last five years or so, we're very impatient. We've gone through so many quarterbacks we often get gun shy at the first sign of trouble. But the state of the franchise right now is that we've got a rookie quarterback and head coach at the helm. With that comes obvious growing pains.

I know it sucks, but we're going to have to weather the storm this season and hope that our front office knows what they're doing with all of that $$$ and draft picks. Who knows, perhaps change is coming after this season? If we continue to loose games over the ending stretch of this season, I could easily see some sort of change coming. Perhaps Ireland take the fall? Maybe we go after a GM with ties to Philbin and Sherman? Someone that knows the WCO or has a history of building successful offenses maybe? Or maybe we snap out of it and start playing better down the stretch? Either way, the sad reality is that this team is rebuilding and we won't see the true signs of what we've got in Philbin and Tannehill until next season. This year we're getting a little bit of everything.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]