View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 It's Officially Time to Start Talking About Next Year 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: It's Officially Time to Start Talking About Next Year
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The jury is still out on Tannehill, but the numbers are starting to tell a story.

I've honestly had enough of this. Seriously, everyone, put things into perspective. Would you have bailed on Smith, Rodgers, Flacco, Freeman, and Bradford this quickly? They all had very troubling stretches with better talent and later into their careers. Rodgers couldn't even displace Favre until year 4.

And don't give me the narrative is developing line because we don't know crap about a rookie QB after 9 games. Have you seen Tannehill sulk, look scared, become a checkdown Charlie or get ridiculous happy feet in the pocket? Give the guy a chance and maybe a better team to work with.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He should have a better supporting cast, and fewer excuses, next year.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The jury is still out on Tannehill, but the numbers are starting to tell a story.

I've honestly had enough of this. Seriously, everyone, put things into perspective. Would you have bailed on Smith, Rodgers, Flacco, Freeman, and Bradford this quickly? They all had very troubling stretches with better talent and later into their careers. Rodgers couldn't even displace Favre until year 4.

And don't give me the narrative is developing line because we don't know crap about a rookie QB after 9 games. Have you seen Tannehill sulk, look scared, become a checkdown Charlie or get ridiculous happy feet in the pocket? Give the guy a chance and maybe a better team to work with.

Good point Jammer...........one bright spot to this season has been Tannehill.........he's composed, tough, a leader and has all the physical skills you look for. It's tough to evaluate the QB spot watching the TV...........but a few things should be apparent, the O-line is getting him killed, the running game is medicore and the recievers get little seperation. He's forced to make the perfect play almost every down. There's so many weaknesses on the offense, it's hard to know where to start.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I want Ireland gone. Our offensive line, secondary and QB situation have been problems for years now. He has to eventually be considered as part of the problem. We have thrown high picks at the secondary and offensive line and the problems magically reappear. The jury is still out on Tannehill, but the numbers are starting to tell a story.

I'm with you. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in prior years, but a lot of this season falls on him. He's had 5 years as GM, the first season, the only winning season, Parcells was in charge.

This will be our 4th straight losing season......the common denominator is Ireland. Say what you want about Ross, but he's an incredible Businessman.........the Dolphins are his biggest investment and he's losing money. Ireland had his chance.........it's time to go in a different direction.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
I'm with you. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in prior years, but a lot of this season falls on him. He's had 5 years as GM, the first season, the only winning season, Parcells was in charge.
At what point did he become the one in charge & not Parcells?

shularino wrote:
This will be our 4th straight losing season......the common denominator is Ireland. Say what you want about Ross, but he's an incredible Businessman.........the Dolphins are his biggest investment and he's losing money. Ireland had his chance.........it's time to go in a different direction.

If Ross were going to fire him, then he would have last year. Drafting Tanny allows him more time.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Hartline is arguably the best player on Miamis offense at the moment and the guy saying he is not even worthy of being a 2nd is exonerating the man responsible for picking most of those players. It's like those Re-electing Obama....maybe just one more year and Ireland will get it right.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I want Ireland gone. Our offensive line, secondary and QB situation have been problems for years now. He has to eventually be considered as part of the problem. We have thrown high picks at the secondary and offensive line and the problems magically reappear. The jury is still out on Tannehill, but the numbers are starting to tell a story.

Yes, Tannehill's numbers do tell a story. He's a rookie quarterback on a bad football team that is often playing from behind and as a result forces him to put the team on his back. When Tannehill is helped by a fair to good run game and fair to good blocking he is light out. When the run game goes away and the blocking is poor he magically makes mistakes. Shocker. Tannehill's perceived recent regression is a product of what is happening around him in my opinion, not a drop off in performance.

Last edited by wkloiber13 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

:yay:

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Hartline is arguably the best player on Miamis offense at the moment and the guy saying he is not even worthy of being a 2nd is exonerating the man responsible for picking most of those players. It's like those Re-electing Obama....maybe just one more year and Ireland will get it right.

Hartline is far from the best player on our offense. He's not even the best receiver we have, that goes to Davone Bess. The numbers over their careers would support that. While I like Hartline, I'm also realistic about the guys abilities. He isn't overly fast, he isn't overly quick, he isn't very big, and he doesn't have great jump ball skills. In other words, he lacks any type of elite feature about him. His skill set is wildly mediocre. The only reason he's putting up the numbers he is, is because of Tannehill and the lack of receiver talent on our team right now. Tannehill has nowhere else to go.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the non-existant running game and Tannehill's slump coincide. We get nothing on the ground anymore. We did a good job pounding the rock the first 6 weeks. Now we have zero run game, poor blocking and pedestrian receivers.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
the non-existant running game and Tannehill's slump coincide. We get nothing on the ground anymore. We did a good job pounding the rock the first 6 weeks. Now we have zero run game, poor blocking and pedestrian receivers.

Which tells you what?

Sounds to me like the run game is what drives the offense, not Tanny at this stage. He's a game manager much like the others we've had.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Which tells you what?

Sounds to me like the run game is what drives the offense, not Tanny at this stage. He's a game manager much like the others we've had.

never said he wasn't. Rookies should be game managers. He's not gonna go in there gunslingin every week like Aaron Rodgers! Especially with these receivers.
How can he be any more than that with the cast around him?

Last edited by swerve13 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Which tells you what?

never said he wasn't. Rookies should be game managers. He's not gonna go in there gunslingin everyweek like Aaron Rodgers! especially with these receivers.
How can he be anymore than that with the cast around him?

Thank you.

Although the run game has been non existent since the second half of Week 3.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Which tells you what?

The lack of run game takes away from Tannehill's greatest weapon, play action. When teams don't respect the run, it kills your playaction passing game.

But you're absolutely right in that Tannehill is a game manager at this stage of his career. If you give him a good ground game he looks very effective (see Oakland game), if you give him a mediocre ground game he still looks good (see St. Louis game), but if you take away the ground game and force him to play from behind, he's prone to making mistakes (see Tennessee game). But at the same time you see flashes that this kid can be great (see Arizona game).

Tannehill is still just a rookie prospect, it's going to take us probably two full seasons before we 100% can say what type of quarterback he's going to be.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Hartline is far from the best player on our offense. He's not even the best receiver we have, that goes to Davone Bess. The numbers over their careers would support that. While I like Hartline, I'm also realistic about the guys abilities. He isn't overly fast, he isn't overly quick, he isn't very big, and he doesn't have great jump ball skills. In other words, he lacks any type of elite feature about him. His skill set is wildly mediocre. The only reason he's putting up the numbers he is, is because of Tannehill and the lack of receiver talent on our team right now. Tannehill has nowhere else to go.

Hartline is a full 200yds and 7 receptions ahead of Bess this year. Again, arguably the best player on offense this year. So again, what does it say when we're here today questioning talent levels on this team? You can't have it both ways...either Ireland sucks, or the players are better than you're giving them credit for being.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Hartline is a full 200yds and 7 receptions ahead of Bess this year. Again, arguably the best player on offense this year. So again, what does it say when we're here today questioning talent levels on this team? You can't have it both ways...either Ireland sucks, or the players are better than you're giving them credit for being.

You're right, Ireland will probably be evaluated after this season is done. If we finish on a good note, then I think he keeps his job. If not, then I think he might be gone. There is a lot at stake this offseason. We have a lot of draft picks and $$$ to throw around, our owner and fanbase are going to be expecting some real results. They're going to want to see Tannehill get some real big time weapons on offense, they're going to want to see the offensive line more consistent and much improved in terms of the run game, and they're going to want to see the secondary repaired and upgraded as well. In other words, they're looking for a new look team, one that is capable of competing for the playoffs. If they don't have the faith Ireland can do that, then maybe it is time for him to go? Or not?
With regards to Hartline, I like Hartline, but he's honestly a #3 receiver getting the targets of a #1 due to a lack of talent on the roster. If you look at Bess and Hartline over their career, Bess has been the better of the two hands down. Bess has 308 catches, 3,255 yards, and 12 touchdowns. Hartline has 162 catches, 2,460 yards, and 6 touchdowns. Bess came into the league in 2008, Hartline in 2009. Hartline and Bess are solid receivers, but they're complementary receivers, this team still needs a true #1 and #2 target on the outside in my opinion. We could get by with just adding one receiver if we were able to add a good pass catching tightend.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2