View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Problem: Runningbacks, or the O-Line? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Problem: Runningbacks, or the O-Line?
This is just going to be a quick question up for debate...pick the issue that outweights the other, not both because every postion on every team will have their issues whether being minor, or major. Do you think the lack of rush production (Reggie went for negative yards against the league's worst run defense in Buffalo in the entire 1st half) is Reggie's fault, or the O-Line as a whole. Personally I think it's the run blocking of the O-Line, it's absolutely horrific, half the time the backs touch the ball they already have a defender's hands on them.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Problem: Runningbacks, or the O-Line?
Our offensive line has been steadily getting worse and worse as the season wears on. I have zero faith in our offensive line right now. They're giving up sacks and hits on the quarterback, they're not opening up rushing lanes, and depending on what week they're making costly penalties. Bottom line, unless something changes quick we're going to need to overhaul the offensive line next year. Tonight, they got owned up front by a Buffalo defense ranked 31st in the NFL against the run. Pathetic.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

It's a combination of both, though I put most of the blame on the offensive line, but I am also seeing a lot of dancing by the running backs.

When we try to run up the middle, there is absolutely no push, but when we try to go outside, our backs are not cutting it up field, they aren't showing vision. Case and point is the sweep to Bush where yes, Jake Long missed on his block, but Bush had room to cut it back and turn it up inside and had blockers, but instead continued trying to go outside.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:40 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Well you can throw play calling in there too. Despite what's being reported I saw safeties two steps behind LB's that were themselves a step closer to the LOS. Hard to block that many guys. Miami doesn't throw when they have a FB on the field. RT almost always audibles to a run...hardly ever a pass. It is predicatable.. You also have a team of veteran players going through the motions. Philbin has lost them. Did anyone seen someone motivated to play last night?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

What is the deal with Jake Long? It's past the point of him playing below his ability. He is now becoming a real problem, especially on running plays. That play where he got blown up by Shawn Merriman says it all. He looks slow getting out of his stance and he seems to have lost a significant amount of muscle.

Long, Jonathan Martin, and Incognito played a terrible game last night. I can;t even blame the running game. They tried to stick with it and no one got anything going.

I do attribute some of the offensive woes to play calling, though. Sherman/Philbin don't seem to make any adjustments at half time. Why not roll Tannehill out of the pocket a little bit to take some pressure off your under performing o line and make use of his athleticism? Why not split Bush out wide like Buffalo does CJ Spiller? Why throw bombs to Davone Bess, who has never been known for his deep threat abilities? Where are the screen passes to Bush? How about getting Fasano involved? Since he is one of the most reliable and underutilized weapons on this team.

They came out very vanilla last night. I know it was a short week, but that was inexcusable. This defense is good enough to win and gave the Dolphins a real opportunity to steal one in the end. We didn't deserve it though and it showed.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

On second thought, I guess you can't really send Bush out as a receiver and sacrifice a blocker the way this Oline is playing.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Our offensive line has been steadily getting worse and worse as the season wears on. I have zero faith in our offensive line right now. They're giving up sacks and hits on the quarterback, they're not opening up rushing lanes, and depending on what week they're making costly penalties. Bottom line, unless something changes quick we're going to need to overhaul the offensive line next year. Tonight, they got owned up front by a Buffalo defense ranked 31st in the NFL against the run. Pathetic.

Yes..Long has been terrible

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
It's a combination of both, though I put most of the blame on the offensive line, but I am also seeing a lot of dancing by the running backs.

When we try to run up the middle, there is absolutely no push, but when we try to go outside, our backs are not cutting it up field, they aren't showing vision. Case and point is the sweep to Bush where yes, Jake Long missed on his block, but Bush had room to cut it back and turn it up inside and had blockers, but instead continued trying to go outside.

Have to totally agree. We need to improve the line through the draft as well as free agency.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I fault the offensive line. The running backs are hesitating because they are so used to having to elude defenders in their own backfield on seemingly every carry.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Here is another side to this topic. If we had a true elite receiver or two that were deep threats, it would pin back the defense, spread them out, and keep them away from the line of scrimmage. But we don't, teams know this, and they're putting seven or eight guys in the box on almost every down. Teams are forcing us to play dink and dunk football because we lack wideout talent. We're in the middle of a rebuild and quite frankly it's going to take another season or two before we have the telent to run the type of offense we want to run, both up front, on the edges, and in the backfield.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:15 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

wkloiber13 wrote:
Here is another side to this topic. If we had a true elite receiver or two that were deep threats, it would pin back the defense, spread them out, and keep them away from the line of scrimmage. But we don't, teams know this, and they're putting seven or eight guys in the box on almost every down. Teams are forcing us to play dink and dunk football because we lack wideout talent. We're in the middle of a rebuild and quite frankly it's going to take another season or two before we have the telent to run the type of offense we want to run, both up front, on the edges, and in the backfield.

I think that there is a point to what you are saying. But the patriots prove that you can get it done without a big name deep threat.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]