View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 It's Officially Time to Start Talking About Next Year 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post It's Officially Time to Start Talking About Next Year
After a 3 game winning streak and a trouncing of the Jets.........it's tough to believe we're looking at 6-10 or worse. Oh well, at least we're used to it. I would say Philbin's safe regardless, but Andy Reid will be available........so there will be rumors.

Assuming Philbin's back, you got to expect some level of shakeup.........Sherman, Coyle and/or Ireland. If Tanny keeps degressing..........then Sherman will likely see the door. Coyle lacks players in the secondary, so I think he'll get a pass. Ireland is a real wildcard.........he busted on Egnew and did nothing with the receiving corps. Despite the number 1 overall pick for Long, a 1st for Pouncy and a high 2nd for Martin, the line is a mess. He overestimated the secondary and traded our best corner a year before he really needed to. I would say he's definately gone, but he seems to have the confidence of Ross........so I'll refrain from putting the nail in his coffin.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: It's Officially Time to Start Talking About Next Year
So Sherman is developing a rookie QB with zero impact receivers, a porous o-line, an unknown ground and he's getting the heave ho?

Philbin, Sherman, Coyle and Ireland will be back next year. This season, like it or not, was a tryout for the vets and a learning experience for the rooks/2nd year guys. They weren't going to lock up Davis long term so they traded him. They didn't shell out big free agent dollars because they wanted to see if they needed the money to re-sign current players.

Miami gets 10 days to fix some things. I'd recommend seeing if they can develop a winning culture down the stretch before we worry about 2013.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Look the two most glaring weaknesses on this team all season, were created by Ireland. He traded Marshall and Davis. He doesn't and won't get a pass on this. People can say what they want about Davis, but having him as a nickle would have been huge. I stated that earlier. Trade him after hte season. He created a huge hole that teams have exploited from day 1. Coacing staff, Philbin, in particular, get some of that bad credit as well.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Philbin, Sherman, Coyle and Ireland will be back next year

And so will Tanny, it's way too early. We can't shake up the roster every year, we will never win. I want to see improvment and like Jammer said, see which vets we are gonna keep. Look, trading VD was a great move to stockpile picks. We were NOT gonna resign VD, Ireland said it himself last Sat night when he talked to us. BTW, what has VD done this year?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 am

jammer wrote:
So Sherman is developing a rookie QB with zero impact receivers, a porous o-line, an unknown ground and he's getting the heave ho?

Philbin, Sherman, Coyle and Ireland will be back next year. This season, like it or not, was a tryout for the vets and a learning experience for the rooks/2nd year guys. They weren't going to lock up Davis long term so they traded him. They didn't shell out big free agent dollars because they wanted to see if they needed the money to re-sign current players.

Miami gets 10 days to fix some things. I'd recommend seeing if they can develop a winning culture down the stretch before we worry about 2013.

There isn't a single veteran player on this team who is making an impact. You can't get rid of them all and even if you do the guys coming in might develop the same issue do to poor coaching. At what point do you put the blame on the coaches? Here's a list of players not playing well.
1. Dansby
2. Burnett
3. Smith
4. Solai
5. Starks
6. Misi
7. Clemons
8. Long
9. Incognito
10. Pouncy
11. Jerry
12. Bush
13. Bess

You can have all the draft picks and money in the world but it won't fix that.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Fasano
Clay
lane
Tanny
Carpenter

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Look the two most glaring weaknesses on this team all season, were created by Ireland. He traded Marshall and Davis. He doesn't and won't get a pass on this. People can say what they want about Davis, but having him as a nickle would have been huge. I stated that earlier. Trade him after hte season. He created a huge hole that teams have exploited from day 1. Coacing staff, Philbin, in particular, get some of that bad credit as well.

Vontae could've had a fine year with Miami. There's no way of knowing except on past history. The bottom line is Miami needed every bit of help they could get at CB and Ireland created that hole. For the sake of two lottery picks in next year's draft he traded the best CB on the team. Did he have motivation issues that were coachable...yeah sure...but that's what a coach is for. One could say the same for a Randy Moss type player. My point is I love how Ireland strokes his ego by making a good value trade, it causes a glaring weakness on the team yet gets defended when criticized for it. Open your eyes.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 am

Clay, Lane and Tanny aren't vets. Carroll is though. Bottom line the entire team is stinking up the field. It was ST's who gave up that TD to start the game last night. Carp misses another FG. If the entire team sux...its not talent, its coaching.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Just win 2 straight and they will all be future HOF again.. Mannic depressive fans...

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
There isn't a single veteran player on this team who is making an impact. You can't get rid of them all and even if you do the guys coming in might develop the same issue do to poor coaching. At what point do you put the blame on the coaches? Here's a list of players not playing well.
1. Dansby
2. Burnett
3. Smith
4. Solai
5. Starks
6. Misi
7. Clemons
8. Long
9. Incognito
10. Pouncy
11. Jerry
12. Bush
13. Bess

You can have all the draft picks and money in the world but it won't fix that.

Not every player on your list has been consistently bad all year.

I don't think anyone is gutting the roster. I was referring more to guys in contract years or who are easy, low cost salary dumps. If the season ended today I think the only FA re-signed would be Hartline.

In your list I only see Dansby, Burnett, Soliai, Starks, Pouncey and Bess being on the roster next year. Maybe Long if he takes a gargantuan pay cut. Is he approaching that stage of having to move inside to guard? Kind of scary how far he has fallen.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

No way I am blaming anyone on the defense. We should/could have lost by 30 last night. 4 redzone attempts and no TDs. Had the Dolphins in position to steal a game, and our offense just didn't show up. Spiller could have scored a couple tds the way he was playing. I know the secondary has real issues with Jimmy Wilson getting smoked week after week and guys like Nolan Carroll regressing, but this is a stout d and we shouldn't need anything better than what they did last night. Gave up a lot in between the 20s but kept us in it.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Clay, Lane and Tanny aren't vets.

Clay is a rookie???

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As bad as the team was last year, they did turn in around the 2nd half, winning 6 of the last 9. This team is in real danger of winning 2 or less games in their last 9. What's problematic is we are degressing at an alarming rate.....1 offensive TD in the last 10 quarters against mediocre defenses.

We have a real opportunity to improve the talent next year with 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds and the available cap space.........I don't feel comfortable with Ireland making those decisions.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

shularino wrote:
After a 3 game winning streak and a trouncing of the Jets.........it's tough to believe we're looking at 6-10 or worse. Oh well, at least we're used to it. I would say Philbin's safe regardless, but Andy Reid will be available........so there will be rumors.

Assuming Philbin's back, you got to expect some level of shakeup.........Sherman, Coyle and/or Ireland. If Tanny keeps degressing..........then Sherman will likely see the door. Coyle lacks players in the secondary, so I think he'll get a pass. Ireland is a real wildcard.........he busted on Egnew and did nothing with the receiving corps. Despite the number 1 overall pick for Long, a 1st for Pouncy and a high 2nd for Martin, the line is a mess. He overestimated the secondary and traded our best corner a year before he really needed to. I would say he's definately gone, but he seems to have the confidence of Ross........so I'll refrain from putting the nail in his coffin.
Assuming? There will not be a shake up at the top of the coaching chain outside one getting a HC job.

Ireland is going no where. Ross committed to him last year.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

NFLJunkie wrote:
Look the two most glaring weaknesses on this team all season, were created by Ireland. He traded Marshall and Davis. He doesn't and won't get a pass on this.
Those are on Phiblen. He wanted them gone & Ireland obliged.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Look the two most glaring weaknesses on this team all season, were created by Ireland. He traded Marshall and Davis. He doesn't and won't get a pass on this.
Those are on Phiblen. He wanted them gone & Ireland obliged.

You must've missed Hardknocks...but that' s okay. Ireland took the proposition of trading VD to Philbin. He wasn't shopping him..he got a call out of the blue. PS, no one knows who initiated the BMarsh Trade. I'd say it was Marshall...but that's just a guess.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

NFLJunkie wrote:
You must've missed Hardknocks...but that' s okay. Ireland took the proposition of trading VD to Philbin. He wasn't shopping him..he got a call out of the blue. PS, no one knows who initiated the BMarsh Trade. I'd say it was Marshall...but that's just a guess.
So Ireland ask Philben about trading Davis. The results? Philben said do it.

Philben made the call. A

person making the call does not ask.

To close. Ireland ask Philben for permission to trade Davis.

Ireland traded for BM. BM did nothing he was not doing prior to being traded to Miami. Philben arrives. BM is traded on Day 1. Its clear cut.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Quote:
So Ireland ask Philben about trading Davis. The results? Philben said do it.

Philben made the call. A

person making the call does not ask.

To close. Ireland ask Philben for permission to trade Davis.

Ireland traded for BM. BM did nothing he was not doing prior to being traded to Miami. Philben arrives. BM is traded on Day 1. Its clear cut.

Sure Philbin agreed to it. We only saw what Philbin and Ireland wanted us to see which was Ireland initiated the trade. So absolving this idiot who made his case strongly that he was getting good value for Davis. Value just isn't what the guy brings in a trade. It is also what he means to the team. As a fan, I had enough vision to look down the road and determine that trading Davis was going to mean Carroll starting and Wilson playing nickle. It was bad for Miami this season. If you're looking into the crystal ball, it might be better for them in a 3-5 year window.
BMarsh - glad you know what happened. For all you know Ireland was just waiting to discuss the issue with the new coach.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:29 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

NFLJunkie wrote:

Sure Philbin agreed to it. We only saw what Philbin and Ireland wanted us to see which was Ireland initiated the trade.
The Colts called.

NFLJunkie wrote:
BMarsh - glad you know what happened. For all you know Ireland was just waiting to discuss the issue with the new coach.
Oh only you get to use what you think as fact.

All I pointed out were the facts. Ireland traded for BM. BM was just what he was in Den. New coach hired, BM traded on Day 1. Those are facts.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
shularino wrote:

Assuming? There will not be a shake up at the top of the coaching chain outside one getting a HC job.

Ireland is going no where. Ross committed to him last year.

I must of missed it when Ross committed to Ireland last year? Ireland better have that in writing. I do think Ross likes Ireland, but I'm not sure how far that goes. I'd imagine he's got a list of candidates he's got his eye on.

Listen, if this team continues to fade, I don't think anyone is safe. Ross is going to expect a correction plan..........and it wont be doing the staus quo.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 pm

"The Colts called." I'm sure if they offered a 7th for his mother he would've taken that as well.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

The only problem is that Davis has been banged up and off the field quite a bit. I think he is out again this week.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think it's safe to say that quite a few players will be showed the door at the end of the year.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Lots of picks next year. I hope they will be high ones....and it is looking good so far.

We need a #1 receiver......first pick.

Then a cornerback.....and a pass rusher...and a tackle...in second round. One of these spots should be a free agent target, leave the other two for the draft.

Use one 3rd round pick on another DB. Use the other for tight end.

After that, bring in plenty of O-line, and/or DB's to sift through.

I can't believe how many new holes sprang up this year. It seems as if the team never can make any real progress.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

shularino wrote:
I must of missed it when Ross committed to Ireland last year?

You did. He did not fire him. He cleaned out the coaching staff. Great time to fire Ireland.

He didn't.

shularino wrote:
Listen, if this team continues to fade, I don't think anyone is safe. Ross is going to expect a correction plan..........and it wont be doing the staus quo.
Everyone is safe.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:17 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

NFLJunkie wrote:
"The Colts called." I'm sure if they offered a 7th for his mother he would've taken that as well.

No rebuttal, so you take this route. Brilliant decision.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Philbin & staff will be back. Ireland will be back. Tannehill will be back. We cannot keep making these wholesale changes year after year. Starting from scratch is something you do every few years if necessary. You do not clean house every year. I would not be opposed to drafting a QB. light a fire under Tannehills butt & with the rookie scale it aint gonna kill us.
Look , I thought with this schedule we were playoff bound. Obviously I was wrong.
Still , we have to let this play out at least another year before we go crazy.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:

Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle will definitely be back, as they should be. Ireland might be another story. No reasonable football fan thought that we were going to be very good this year. And though we have showed flashes of being really good, things have come way back to earth. Overall, I am still impressed with the things that Tannehill has shown. Especially, given that he had such limited college experience and is in his rookie NFL season. The addition of another threat at WR that can get deep will be huge for him. We may not make the playoffs or have a winning season, but this can still be a successful season if we work through some of the growing pains.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I would not be opposed to drafting a QB. light a fire under Tannehills butt & with the rookie scale it aint gonna kill us.

Nothing will change until we get a QB. I agree, draft one every year. Oh wait, let's draft OL and still suck.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

No rebuttal, so you take this route. Brilliant decision.

Arguing a point that is pure speculation is a foolish endeavor

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Philbin is responsible for Marshall and Davis being traded. he didnt want Marshall tainting his new QB and he put Davis down the depth chart thus making him expendable. both were horrid trades. than he goes and benches Bush the only weapon we have. why didnt he do the same to Hartline he is showing a double standard to the players.

anyways i would draft WR in Round 1 and Round 2 and try to get some Oline help in FA

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I agree, I think Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle knew what they were getting themselves into when they came over here. They knew the players didn't fit the systems they wanted to install. So they drafted accordingly, and traded away or cut anyone who they felt wouldn't have a shot to adapt. They kept the guys who best adapted or who they couldn't move financially. This season thus becomes a tryout for several of these guys. We have the most draft picks in next years draft. We have the most cap space in the NFL next year as well. We're primed to kick this rebuild into overdrive next season. I expect to see plenty of new faces next year. You don't turn a Sparano offense into a Philbin offense in one offseason. It's going to take a couple of years.

I agree also that you'd like to see us finish the season on a high note and hopefully with a better record than last season. 2013 is still a long ways away. We've got several more games to go. This thing is far from over.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:23 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

NFLJunkie wrote:
Arguing a point that is pure speculation is a foolish endeavor

Nothing speculative about my comments. I simply provided the facts of what happened.

Learn the difference between fact & fiction. What you think it not fact.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:10 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Playoffs are definitely a dream and may require the stars to align a certain way. What I will do on here out is look for improvements from our young players and hope that our declining offensive line does not create some bad habits or injuries to our prize rookie quarterback. While Tannehill is no Dan Marino and has made some mistakes, I've seen a strong-minded quarterback that is not afraid to take a hit and has the ability to squeeze the ball into tight places with accuracy and a quick release.

Nolan Carroll had a terrible game, but I am interested to see if he can elevate his game. He has shown some good things at times this year.

I may even like to see if Jonathan Martin is able to play better on the left side. Jake Long is gone. He isn't playing well in this scheme and there will be another team willing to pay up for him.

I also want to see more of draft picks RB Lamar Miller and LB Josh Kaddu. Heck, get TE Michael Egnew on the field and see what he does when he catches the ball. Teach him two plays and then use him in it.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Philbin & staff will be back. Ireland will be back. Tannehill will be back. We cannot keep making these wholesale changes year after year. Starting from scratch is something you do every few years if necessary. You do not clean house every year. I would not be opposed to drafting a QB. light a fire under Tannehills butt & with the rookie scale it aint gonna kill us.
Look , I thought with this schedule we were playoff bound. Obviously I was wrong.

You maybe right, we'll see how the season plays out.........but it's very possible we have only one or two more wins.........meaning we went 2-7 or worse over the last 9. Something tells me that is not going to acceptable to Ross and he'll look to make a change at GM, possibly someone from the Patriots or Packers organization. Ireland lacks familarity with the West Coast Offense......and zone blocking scheme..........he doesn't match well with this coaching staff.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
You maybe right, we'll see how the season plays out.........but it's very possible we have only one or two more wins.........meaning we went 2-7 or worse over the last 9. Something tells me that is not going to acceptable to Ross and he'll look to make a change at GM, possibly someone from the Patriots or Packers organization. Ireland lacks familarity with the West Coast Offense......and zone blocking scheme..........he doesn't match well with this coaching staff.

Everyone from fan to reporter to network analyst predicted the Dolphins to win 5 or 6 games at most. They traded away their top receiver, didn't make a free agent splash, and decided to go into the season with borderline starters and unproven young guys at some key positions. You don't think Ireland did this while telling Ross that this year will probably be a transition year? If its that obvious to us then I'm pretty sure Ross has a clue as well.

Ireland did just about everything Philbin wanted from his OC down to which players he'd keep to build a culture. He's going to get next year to spend his 9 draft picks and 50 million of cap space to build a Jeff Ireland/Joe Philbin team.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Vegas set the line at 7.5 wins and after the 4-3 start bumped it to 9.5. You would expect the team to be playing better with time, instead they're falling apart.

The secondary play falls on Ireland......he traded Vontae and picked up Richard Marshall ..........both were bad decisions.

After trading B. Marhsall........his solution was to get Chad Johnson and hope Roberto Wallace and Clyde Gates would drastically improve.....all these players were cut. The O-line where we have two first round picks, a second and a third is getting bulled over every week.

Ireland has a few hits, but the totality of his work has been poor.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
FINesse wrote:

You might be correct about Ireland departing if the season goes south. But I think he'll get one more year depending on how we finish. While I think Ireland will need to rethink the types of players he brings in for Philbin and Sherman's offense, I think he knows that and will adjust his way of drafting. We'll see what Ross does in the coming months. Personally, I think he's invested in Ireland and will keep him around. But the prospect of picking up a "Packers guy" might be too tempting for Ross. We all know he wants to bring a similar style of play to Miami.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I want Ireland gone. Our offensive line, secondary and QB situation have been problems for years now. He has to eventually be considered as part of the problem. We have thrown high picks at the secondary and offensive line and the problems magically reappear. The jury is still out on Tannehill, but the numbers are starting to tell a story.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next