View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Omar Kelly twitter Henne compared to Tannehill 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Omar Kelly twitter Henne compared to Tannehill
Quote:

This was right around the point when the tide got turned on Chad Henne. Defenses had a book on him. Same goes for Ryan Tannehill.

Oh....totally forgot to mention Chad Henne led the Dolphins to a 6-3 record in his first 9 games. Ryan Tannehill led Miami to a 4-5 record.

Come up with your own conclusions. But if you can do math it is pretty obvious.

After 9 starts Ryan Tannehill is completing 58.9 percent of his passes for 1,979 yards. He's thrown 5 TDs, 9 Ints. Sacked 17 times. 73.2 QBR

After nine starts Chad Henne completed 57.8 percent of his passes for 1,755 yards. He threw 9 TDs, 7 Ints and was sacked 17 times. 78.8 QBR

You know your parents used to say this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you....

RT @11olsens: @eduardo1garcia Not sure @OmarKelly is really 'judging' Tannehill at this point, just presenting the stats for comparison»thks

Chad Henne looked pretty good his first 9-10 starts. Then defenses caught up to him. What do you think is happening to Ryan Tannehill?

RT @Betico__: do you think they both have the same skill set and ceiling as young qbs?» Tannehill clearly has more tools. He's athletic.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Omar Kelly twitter Henne compared to Tannehill
It is a fair comparison. I think Tannehill is a lot more accurate throwing the ball than Henne was even though stats don't bear that out. I think they need to let the kid throw more. Put the pedal to the metal and let's find out if this is a winner or loser.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

With the new salary structure, I would draft a QB in the 1st rd every year. Screw OL, DL, and everyone else. A QB is the most important position and if you disagree, we haven't done crap since Marino retired.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree with the sentiment if not the literal plan.

How many years/games do you give a guy before you put the next one in?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a very silly article. Kelly is simply stirring the pot here because he's still irked that they chose Tannehill over Garrard and Moore. These players are nothing alike other than they both have worn a Dolphins uniform and started a game. Anyone who has watched the Dolphins over the past decade can see that. Here are a couple of obvious reasons why:

One, Henne wasn't a rookie when he first played. He was well into his 2nd season in the NFL before he started. Tannehill by comparison is a true rookie starter, the first ever rookie starter to go into week one named the starter in team history.

Two, Henne inherited a playoff team that had gone 11-5 the season before. Tannehill by comparison had inherited a 6-10 football team that had just lost it's best offensive player (Brandon Marshall).

Three, Henne's career was mired by rumors that he couldn't read defenses and wasn't competent enough in the offense to make presnap reads and call audibles. Also, the guy never learned to look off defenders, even well into his fourth season. That clearly is not the case with Tannehill who runs an exclusive no huddle offense where he clearly has the ability to make presnap reads and call audibles as he sees fit. The coaching staff clearly has more trust in Tannehill, and if you watch, Tannehill clearly makes fewer bad throws despite the number of interceptions.

So while the numbers may be similar, the two players are light years apart in terms of the teams they inherited and their quarterbacking ability. They have very little in common. But if you just want to go by numbers, then yes to the casual observer with no knoledge of the team they may seem similar.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Eli Manning's rookie starts - 48.7% 6 TD's 9 Ints 1 win 6 losses

Congratulations, I can make irrelevant comparisons too. Oh, and he had Jeremy Shockey, Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard as targets plus a 1500 yd 13 TD rusher in Tiki Barber to take the pressure off. Oh and he had a Super Bowl winning Kurt Warner to show him the ropes and help him mature.

And I'm well aware that someone can point out that Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger had very successful rookie years. Doesn't mean squat.

We got out 1st round QB whom everyone was gushing over just two weeks ago. Let the kid play for a couple years before passing judgment.

This topic is dumb.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Eli Manning's rookie starts - 48.7% 6 TD's 9 Ints 1 win 6 losses

Congratulations, I can make irrelevant comparisons too. Oh, and he had Jeremy Shockey, Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard as targets plus a 1500 yd 13 TD rusher in Tiki Barber to take the pressure off. Oh and he had a Super Bowl winning Kurt Warner to show him the ropes and help him mature.

And I'm well aware that someone can point out that Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger had very successful rookie years. Doesn't mean squat.

We got out 1st round QB whom everyone was gushing over just two weeks ago. Let the kid play for a couple years before passing judgment.

This topic is dumb.

I agree. Everyone is different, thus everyone should be judged by their own accomplishments and failures, not those of others. Henne and Tannehill are two completely different quarterbacks, in two completely different offensive systems, playing for two completely different coaching staffs, on two completely different rosters, in two very different seasons.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

haha oh Omar is now butthurt that Henne, Moore, and Garrard aren't the Dolphins' QB and that the fans love his ever-hated Ryan Tannehill.

Anyone who has actually watched Dolphin games know that Tanny is NOT Henne in almost anyway. Plus, almost every NFL analyst anywhere is on the Tanny train.

I'm not completely sold Tanny is our next Marino. But I am also not going to knee-jerk with the guy who usually accuses all Dolphins fans who hates Ireland of being knee-jerk.

When Omar Kelly has real analysis on par with something like Volin or Kauffman then I will take him seriously. As long as he write articles with the sole intention of gaining readers, than he's merely laughable #blessed.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm

How is it knee jerk? It isn't like he's calling for him to be replaced. He just stated a few simple facts. Now this might inflame the RT lovers but it is a genuine comparison.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What part of twitter indicates that this is an article?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

NFLJunkie wrote:
How is it knee jerk? It isn't like he's calling for him to be replaced. He just stated a few simple facts. Now this might inflame the RT lovers but it is a genuine comparison.

To compare Tanny to Henne is implying that he will have the same outcome as Henne. Why else make the comparison?

People can state opinions by merely stating "a few simple facts". His opinion was created to be smart, different, hip, or whatever else Omar wants to be instead of a reporter. How is it useful to tweet a billion times comparing midseason Tannehill to midseason Henne? I don't see it his purpose besides to hate on Tanny and to go against the majority of Dolphin fans, which Omar has been known to enjoy doing.

I apologize for implying that this was an article. Might as well be though, his strings of tweets have just as much quality as his articles do.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Makchell wrote:
With the new salary structure, I would draft a QB in the 1st rd every year. Screw OL, DL, and everyone else. A QB is the most important position and if you disagree, we haven't done crap since Marino retired.

Yeah because that's an unbelievably smart and practical way to build a team.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is Kelly simply trying to get people to read his crap. Mission accomplished.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

Its not knee jerk, its bitterness from a reporter who thinks because he read Pat Kirwan's Take Your Eyes Off the Ball he is smarter than the rest of us. He thought Garrard was the answer for this year and it was dumb to give Tannehill the job. He could have written the same story and used the Manning comparison to preach patience...just like he has done with his misunderstood Marshall, his favorite owner Ross, and his wonder boy GM Ireland. For the record, I think Ross has done much better and Ireland has done a pretty decent job of drafting in the post Parcells era.

What purpose does this serve other than two fire up premature debate on RT and play the I told you so game of "if we only started Garrard Miami wouldn't be in this mess."

Losing sucks and we don't have any definitive answers on Tannehill, Philbin, or any other element of the team. Everyone just needs to deal with it. Those are the simple facts.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wow I am not seeing the same thing as some have posted on here about the series of tweets. Suggesting that defenses may have noticed some tendencies in Tannehill and are exploiting them and that equates to an ulterior motive?

Omar even said when asked he did not think that they were the same player said he was better. Even indicated he was not making judgments.

To distance himself from other QB's who have not made the grade in Miami, Tannehill will have to produce on the field. So if D's have figured him out he will have to adapt and get better.

I hope he does. I hope he gets better this year and makes a big improvement next year as well.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Wow I am not seeing the same thing as some have posted on here about the series of tweets. Suggesting that defenses may have noticed some tendencies in Tannehill and are exploiting them and that equates to an ulterior motive?

That's all I got from it as well. The Titans even said it themselves when they explained their strategy ...... sit back and the mistakes will come.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yeah because that's an unbelievably smart and practical way to build a team.

It all starts with the QB. It's way too early to judge RT, but he has to improve and show growth. Fact is, not drafting a QB in the 1st rd till now has done nothing.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Its not knee jerk, its bitterness from a reporter who thinks because he read Pat Kirwan's Take Your Eyes Off the Ball he is smarter than the rest of us. He thought Garrard was the answer for this year and it was dumb to give Tannehill the job. He could have written the same story and used the Manning comparison to preach patience...just like he has done with his misunderstood Marshall, his favorite owner Ross, and his wonder boy GM Ireland. For the record, I think Ross has done much better and Ireland has done a pretty decent job of drafting in the post Parcells era.

What purpose does this serve other than two fire up premature debate on RT and play the I told you so game of "if we only started Garrard Miami wouldn't be in this mess."

Losing sucks and we don't have any definitive answers on Tannehill, Philbin, or any other element of the team. Everyone just needs to deal with it. Those are the simple facts.

I doubt Omar is bitter. He wasn't the only one thinking Garrard should of been the starter but even a Ryan Tannehill epic fail isn't going to change that. Maybe a little heat from the press will force the coaching staff to open things up a bit. RT needs to learn how to buy time, feel the pressure and make plays when none are to be had on the field. That is the mark of greatness. This sitting back and playing well when everything is going your way is easy stuff. I want to see him get it done in the face of adversity. He can only do that if the coaching staff allows him to open up the passing game down the field.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:03 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He wasn't the only one thinking Garrard should of been the starter

Who cares who Omar wanted as a starter? He needs to look at the 31 other teams that don't even think DG is a backup. I believe DG is on the streets right now.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Makchell wrote:
He wasn't the only one thinking Garrard should of been the starter

Who cares who Omar wanted as a starter? He needs to look at the 31 other teams that don't even think DG is a backup. I believe DG is on the streets right now.

Actually Philbin thought so too before the injury.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is why I was not on board with starting Tanny coming out of the gate. First sign of struggle from a raw inexperienced rookie Qb & you start getting this type stuff. So many reporters want to be the guy that says " I told you so"

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Could someone point out where in that series of tweets Omar is saying, I told you so?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ok here is an article.

Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Staff writer

7:02 p.m. EST, November 13, 2012
DAVIE –—

Henne's problems surfaced around start No. 10 when defenses caught onto his strengths and weaknesses and adapted a game plan around them. Henne never countered, and never evolved as an NFL starter.

Earlier this season teams were blitzing Tannehill regularly, challenging the rookie to make quick decisions and get the ball out his hand. As a result he was one of the NFL's most efficient at countering the blitzes.

As a result defenses are beginning to change their approach. The Titans blitzed on just 10 of the Dolphins' 40 pass plays. According to Tennessee linebacker Colin McCarthy, Tennessee's game plan was designed to sit back and wait for Tannehill to make a mistake. According to ProFootballFocus.com, all three of Tannehill's interceptions came when he faced no pressure.

These are the growing pains that happen when teams have film on a young starter, and begin to craft a scheme that would present superior challenges. It is part of the process a young quarterback faces.

Tannehill knows he must learn to counterpunch.

"It's a back and forth game. The more plays you put on tape, the more tendencies an offense puts on tape defenses are going to start adjusting. It is an evolving game and as an offense you have to change things because defenses are going to adapt to what you've shown," said Tannehill, who is completing 58.9 percent of his passes (ranked 24th), and is averaging 7.1 yards per attempt (ranks 21st) on an offense that ranks 26th in total yards per game and 25th in points per game.

"It's a constant battle of finding that balance of things you want to do well repetitively and things you have to bring in to keep people off balanced."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:18 pm

That's called graduation. Teams that don't respect you blitz the snot out of you. Now that he's got their attention he needs to prove he can pick apart the zone as well. The problem with most rookies is the clock is now set in their head. He has to get over that and start to buy time by moving in the pocket.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is a stupid article, so I agree with Jammer. Tannehill is a ROOKIE. Give the kid a break.

Did anyone question Troy Aikman's rookie year where he went 0-11 in games he started and threw 9 TD's and 18 picks? Even his second season he threw 11 TD's and 18 picks going 7-8 in games he started. I bet Jimmy Johnson was glad he stuck with him.......Philbin will do the same with RT.

Miami has a horrible game and Tannehill struggled without good protection all game long. No running game either. A lot to blame along with RT last week, but again, the kid is a rookie.

Cut him some slack and for goodness sake let's not bring up the "H" word in comparison. I could give a rats a## about that guy and that is now ancient history in my eyes.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

RIF

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

That's all I got from it as well. The Titans even said it themselves when they explained their strategy ...... sit back and the mistakes will come.

In my opinion, the Titans ability to "sit back" is an indictment of our coaching staff's playcalling, our offensive line's blocking, our runningback's ability to pick up critical yardage, as well as Tannehill's inexperience. It doesn't all fall on Tannehill, even if he is the quarterback. Teams aren't just noticing flaws in Tannehill, they're noticing flaws in our entire offense (top to bottom). Our entire offense is to blame for that type of strategy working. The entire offense needs a gut check after a game like this, coaches included. Hopefully they can come back with a better gameplan and better execution on Thursday.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Tannehill looks nothing like Henne on the field. He is much more relaxed and fluid than Mr. Robot ever was under center. The other huge detail that Omar leaves out of his piece is that Henne got to sit and learn from Chad Pennington in his rookie year and Tannehill has been thrown right in feet first. Time is going to tell the story of whether Tannehill can get the job done and 9 games is a cheap comparison.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I doubt Omar is bitter. He wasn't the only one thinking Garrard should of been the starter but even a Ryan Tannehill epic fail isn't going to change that. Maybe a little heat from the press will force the coaching staff to open things up a bit. RT needs to learn how to buy time, feel the pressure and make plays when none are to be had on the field. That is the mark of greatness. This sitting back and playing well when everything is going your way is easy stuff. I want to see him get it done in the face of adversity. He can only do that if the coaching staff allows him to open up the passing game down the field.

I don't disagree with a thing you are saying about Tannehill and I'm not declaring him anything. I've always been a wait and see guy with just about every QB Miami has had since Marino (minus Fiedler because I just never thought he could become franchise stuff.) For all I know Tannehill might be a bust in the making.

I'm just noting that Kelly is throwing this stuff out there because he is looking to create some headlines and premature debate. I used to follow his articles and tweets just about every day. He was so sure that Tannehill shouldn't start and that Garrard would thrive. Whenever people mentioned the name Henne he would shut down the conversation and say that era is over. Now he turns around uses it to create drama in peoples' minds about Tannehill. He doesn't have to spell it out, most of us can read between the lines. I'm sorry if the Manning example is old, but why wouldn't he counter with and at this point Manning was... if he wanted to do a thoughtful article on turning points or evaluations of young QBs?

Kelly is an egomaniac who thinks he knows the real deal and it is why I stopped reading anything from him. His counterpoint to everything is I talk to people in the know and I've read Taking Your Eyes Off the Ball. And I've seen him play the "I told you so" game countless times on twitter. I'd bet money that at some point he'll tweet again with wonder of how this offense could have performed with an experienced vet like Garrard and that coaching staff should have slow cooked (his favorite phrase) Tannehill instead of ruining him.

My two cents.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

They say it only takes 3 games for an offensive coordinator to figure out a new quarterback's weaknesses. I guess Omar is rewriting it to 9 game.

He had a bad game last week. Heck, one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL is Eli Manning and he is stinking things up right now. Give up the playoff talk and let our young players develop.

Quote:
Giants quarterback Eli Manning. For the third straight week he failed to throw a touchdown pass, and the stat sheet please. Over the last three games he has no TDs, four interceptions and a passer rating of 53.09. Yikes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2094 ... postseason

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
This is why I was not on board with starting Tanny coming out of the gate. First sign of struggle from a raw inexperienced rookie Qb & you start getting this type stuff. So many reporters want to be the guy that says " I told you so"

And then segments of the fanbase blindly follow and are calling the guy a bust if he isn't putting up 45 TDs in season two...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Henne had 4 years to prove his worth....

Maybe my rose colored glasses are hurting my judgement.. But I see a different player when I watch Tanne compared to Henne... Pocket pressence, awareness, control of the offense, control of the line etc.. Just a different demeanor all together... Those are the things that are tough to teach.. The mechanics, timings etc will all come in time...

Also whats amusing is he goes 3 games without a pick, and was being compared to Luck and RG III, one bad game and back to comparing him to Henne.....

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:16 am

10acjed wrote:
Also whats amusing is he goes 3 games without a pick, and was being compared to Luck and RG III, one bad game and back to comparing him to Henne.....

It's the knee jerks.

He was bound to have a bad game.

What should be concerning to fans is that the Titans chose to play coverage and rush 3 or 4 and 5 offensive lineman plus whoever else was staying in to protect couldn't keep our QB upright long enough for a receiver to get open.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:12 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
It's the knee jerks.

He was bound to have a bad game.

I'm impressed that he didn't throw an interception for 4 straight weeks before that. Since the Dolphins were pretty much one-dimensional during that time and the OL was porous, are the "knee jerkers" erasing that from their memories?

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Guys this is a throw away season. This is the year to let Tannehill learn and grow. This is the season for him to have games like last Sunday. Forget playoffs. Watch how he learns from this and corrects the mistakes. Watch for him to learn and evolve. When he is leading them to the playoffs in the next few years, remember that he did a lot of growing in 2012.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
What should be concerning to fans is that the Titans chose to play coverage and rush 3 or 4 and 5 offensive lineman plus whoever else was staying in to protect couldn't keep our QB upright long enough for a receiver to get open.

If teams figure they don't need to blitz to get pressure and that Miami's receivers have a hard time getting open then it speaks volumes as to how much work this team really needs.

And to address Mak's point about selecting another QB, don't be surprised if Miami grabs a guy at some point. Philbin came from a GB team that grabbed someone almost every year. Heck, they drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd Round the year they handed the reins to Rodgers. Not sure about a first rounder but I could see a 3rd rounder spent on a guy if Tannehill seems shaky down the stretch.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 am

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

If teams figure they don't need to blitz to get pressure and that Miami's receivers have a hard time getting open then it speaks volumes as to how much work this team really needs.

And to address Mak's point about selecting another QB, don't be surprised if Miami grabs a guy at some point. Philbin came from a GB team that grabbed someone almost every year. Heck, they drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd Round the year they handed the reins to Rodgers. Not sure about a first rounder but I could see a 3rd rounder spent on a guy if Tannehill seems shaky down the stretch.

Remember when they took Brohm that supposedly meant Rodgers was a bust and Brohm was the future...

If we took a QB, which I am not opposed to, I'm sure there would be people saying the same about Tannehill.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly

Its not a Chad Henne vs. Ryan Tannehill debate. Don't be stupid. Its about defenses catching up with Tannehill like they did Henne.
Expand

RT @MBrave13:It seems like Tannehill has a stronger mental makeup and will be able to evolve & progress»I would agree, but do we really know

RT @SFLBigDog: I used to think you were harsh on RT but he has caught up to your criticism» NO, defenses have caught onto his approach.

RT @OneArrogantSOB: the implication you are making, whether you admit it or not, is that Tannehill is heading down the Henne path» WRONG

My point isn't to say Ryan Tannehill isn't good. He has a world of talent. My point is the game is catching up with him. He MUST adjust.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We and the coaches want to see improvment. To be honest, I blame the coaches for that loss. The OC keeps calling slant routes and curl routes. Defenses pick it up and play zone and hence a 3 pick game. If teams are rushing 3, 4, or 5 OL, then we need to pound the ball. It looks like the pass set the run up on Sunday but the coaches didn't adjust.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
We and the coaches want to see improvment. To be honest, I blame the coaches for that loss. The OC keeps calling slant routes and curl routes. Defenses pick it up and play zone and hence a 3 pick game. If teams are rushing 3, 4, or 5 OL, then we need to pound the ball. It looks like the pass set the run up on Sunday but the coaches didn't adjust.

Slants or comebacks?

Coming out of college, those were the plays that Sherman always called for Tanny ..... comebacks and curls. So I'm not surprised we're getting those in bulk.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next