View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reggie Bush agrees with first-half benching 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Reggie Bush agrees with first-half benching
Quote:

I didn’t deserve to be back in the game,” Bush said candidly after the game. “I fumbled the ball and I’ve had two fumbles lost this year, so I’ve got to do a better job protecting the ball.”

Bush added he would’ve “benched myself” if he were coaching the team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... f-benching

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Reggie Bush agrees with first-half benching
Stupid coaching...he made a mistake and you take your best weapon out of the game and low and behold, we got rolled. ALso 3rd and 1 twice and you pass for 2 picks, WTF?

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yep....I also think it is dumb to bench your only superstar player. Bush has been a shadow of himself since he got hurt and putting him in only a handful of plays a game is not helping him to find his mojo. I thought he was still hurt, but now I am not so sure.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You have to put him back on the darn horse! Run his butt to death on the next drive!

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Makchell wrote:
Stupid coaching...he made a mistake and you take your best weapon out of the game and low and behold, we got rolled. ALso 3rd and 1 twice and you pass for 2 picks, WTF?

I agree this game showed that Philbin is as much a rookie coach as Tannehill is a rookie QB. Abandoned the running game and Reggie Bush way too quick, and unable to motivate this team to stay humble.

But I do respect Reggie for being a class act and not creating controversy by backing the coaches decision.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Philbin was trying to send a message after the debacle against the Colts. I'm sure Philbin was preaching all week long to be accountable and mistakes would not be tolerated. Obviously, it did not work as the entire team imploded.

I don't disagree with the benching, Bush hasn't exactly been stellar the last 5 games. I'm fine with benching more of these guys and establishing a mentality of accountability and disciplined football. One things for sure, we're going to see a major roster change next year.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The problem is rotating the RBs, pick one and stick with him.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:04 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Would you bench Ryan Tannehill for throwing an INT? You don't bench your superstar for a fumble. Sorry, that's football. You let him try and redeem himself.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:21 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

For sure.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Would you bench Ryan Tannehill for throwing an INT? You don't bench your superstar for a fumble. Sorry, that's football. You let him try and redeem himself.

No, you don't bench Tannehill..........QBs are going to have rough games, especially rookie QB's with a mediocre O-line and receiving corp. I'm sure Philbin had some harsh words for the team last week........and put them on notice. He probably didn't anticipate having cause to bench half the team.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm

shularino wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

No, you don't bench Tannehill..........QBs are going to have rough games, especially rookie QB's with a mediocre O-line and receiving corp. I'm sure Philbin had some harsh words for the team last week........and put them on notice. He probably didn't anticipate having cause to bench half the team.

The point is you don't bench Bush either.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Comparing benching Bush for a half after a fumble and benching your Rookie QB who has exceeded expectations, is not a fair arguement. You don't bench your QB unless you plan on him staying benched. Like I said, I'm sure Philbin put the team on notice, when Bush fumbled, Philbin backed up what he said.

It's been a while since the team effectively ran the ball, giving Thomas and Miller more of the load may have been part of the plan. Anyway, whether Bush was benched or imediatley or put back in, did not factor in this game..........unless you think Bush would have accounted for 30+ points.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Benching Bush was flat out stupid especially for that much of a length while we were falling so far behind. Yeah Bush took the hi road with his comments & is a class act for his comments about it ... Blah , Blah , Blah. He basically took one for the team & should be pissed about it & hopefully when he is being truthful disagrees with it because it basically sealed our fate before half time , once again stupid move.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

I agree. Its not like he has been putting the ball on the ground. Stand up guy in Bush for taking the high road.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:42 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I agree. Its not like he has been putting the ball on the ground. Stand up guy in Bush for taking the high road.

Exactly right , you hand it off to him on first down of the very next drive to show him that support.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
You don't bench your superstar for a fumble.

Bush hasn't been a superstar since like Week 2.

And you guys aren't looking at the big picture here. It is about sending a message, setting up expectations, and enforcing them. It is about developing a longterm culture and molding the team into a certain mindset. You screw up, you get replaced. Just like Richie Incognito.

This is the 2nd week in a row that Bush fumbles the ball. I agree with being tough on him, whether he is a superstar or not.

I bet he takes better care of the ball the rest of the season, which will probably also be his last with Miami.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

I thought it was a stupid decision. When you watched the play he was falling and one of the Titans grabbed the ball and ripped it out as hard as he could. I wouldn't have benched him for that. Let him get back out there and redeem himself. He's our best playmaker on offense.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

And you guys aren't looking at the big picture here. It is about sending a message, setting up expectations, and enforcing them. It is about developing a longterm culture and molding the team into a certain mindset. You screw up, you get replaced. Just like Richie Incognito.

This is the 2nd week in a row that Bush fumbles the ball. I agree with being tough on him, whether he is a superstar or not.

I bet he takes better care of the ball the rest of the season, which will probably also be his last with Miami.

What exactly is the "culture". Is it players have to reach the head coach's perception of perfection. If telling your team that the best players, after a mistake, are going to be benched, you're not trying to win. Benching Cognito almost got RT killed. The team barely has enough good players to compete, sending them to the bench does send a powerful message, losing is OK and winning is not the most important thing, the head coach is. Who wants to play for a team when a mistake earns a time out. The evidence is the "team" was not ready to play. That, just like with Sparano, is on the head coach.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 am

PADOLFAN wrote:
What exactly is the "culture".

Accountability. You do something to hurt the team, you get some time to think about it on the bench.

And again, you guys are talking as if Reggie Bush is rushing for 150 yards a game, he hasn't had a good game since week 2.

Quote:
Benching Cognito almost got RT killed.

Tannehill almost got killed with Incognito in there when he couldn't block the Titan's defensive tackle, so what does it matter?

He's a blockhead that hurts his team when he is on the field with his stupid antics.

Quote:
The evidence is the "team" was not ready to play.

Agreed, but that has nothing to do with Reggie Bush getting bunched for losing a fumble for the 2nd week in a row...

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree fully with you Rich.............Philbin obviously put the team on notice that the mistakes will not be tolerated and there would be consequences if they continue. So when a struggling Bush fumbles the ball away on one of his first carries.............what was he supposed to do?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Well, let's have the coaches show some accountability on themselves. Let's see them remove themselves from the Bills game. A 37-3 loss doesn't just fall on the players ... it falls on the coaches as well.

I agree with accountability, but Reggie still is a home run threat running the ball or catching it. He's been sitting on the bench a lot these past two weeks. He needs the touches.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I am with Dave Hyde on this.

Dave Hyde wrote:
Joe Philbin. What’s with benching an impact player for a long stretch for one fumble? If fumbling is a problem, bench him, period. But giving him a time-out as some sort of remedial punishment? Philbin has won a couple of games directly with his in-game coaching decisions this year (St. Louis, at the New York Jets). This was a day his team didn't look ready to work, though.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Well, let's have the coaches show some accountability on themselves. Let's see them remove themselves from the Bills game. A 37-3 loss doesn't just fall on the players ... it falls on the coaches as well.

Absolute it falls on the coaches, but removing themselves from the game?

Do we have a back-up coaching staff on the practice squad?

Quote:
but Reggie still is a home run threat running the ball or catching it.

Sorry, but outside of one play against the Colts, I haven't seen this Reggie since week 2. Right now he looks like a sideline to sideline threat to me.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 am

Big Dave wrote:

Dave Hyde wrote:
Joe Philbin. What’s with benching an impact player for a long stretch for one fumble? If fumbling is a problem, bench him, period. But giving him a time-out as some sort of remedial punishment? Philbin has won a couple of games directly with his in-game coaching decisions this year (St. Louis, at the New York Jets). This was a day his team didn't look ready to work, though.

They didn't lose because Bush was benched.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Reggie has 3 fumbles this year.......all the rest of the Dolphins Rushers have 3 combined. From week 3 through the Indianapolis game, he's averaged 49 rushing yards/game. The one fumble was not the only reason he was benched.

Alot of you are acting like we lost this game because Reggie was benched............the score was 37-3! Reggie shows amazing flashes, but he's been inconsistent down to down. Ofcourse there are other factors, but you can't blame the coaching staff for looking to go another direction, especially when the guy fumbles away one of his first carries.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 am

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

It is also about leadership and standing with the guys you chose. If you don't trust them to do the job, then replace them. You're wrong about Bush not being a superstar. I can't help the brain farts the OC has in not getting him the ball. He's been benched pretty much for the last two games. Oh and being tough on an NFL Star is likely to improve his play....like hte guy wanted to fumble. Bench RT...3 PICs is a lot worse than 1 fumble.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 am

Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Dave Hyde wrote:

No we lost the game because our Rookie QB was playing give away and the defense couldn't get off the field. BTW, just for the record...Ryan Tannehill has few TDs than any QB in the league except for a guy who has started only 4 games.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Junkie, I like you Man..........but you've got to stop with comparing benching Bush to possibly benching Tannehill. The QB position if different from any other position on the field. If you bench your QB, then your saying he can't do the job and the team is going in a totally different direction.

All QB's, even Dan the Man, had several bad games........it goes with the position. Outside of QB any other position is open to benching for a series, half, game or longer. This year Wes Welker was benched for a series for off-the-field comments. Belechick was making a statement, the same way Philbin tried to make a statement.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 am

It isn't any different. We make it out to be different because of the importance of the QB position. You're right...every QB has a bad day. But then again, most QB's have great days too. Seen two of RTs bad...yet to see a real good one.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
If you don't trust them to do the job, then replace them.

All in good time.

Quote:
You're wrong about Bush not being a superstar.

Because you say so? His best season he barely got over 1000 yards. He's always been more hype than truth.

He's averaging 18 touches a game and about 80 yards in those touches. He averages about 4.4 yards per touch. That's not homerun hitter, superstar stuff.

That's pedestrian.

He's only had one superstar game this season.

He only had one last season.

Quote:
I can't help the brain farts the OC has in not getting him the ball.

Maybe the OC is tired of seeing him always try to take it outside and losing yards in the process.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:34 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
It isn't any different.

You're right.

There isn't a difference between quarterback and running back.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
It isn't any different. We make it out to be different because of the importance of the QB position. You're right...every QB has a bad day. But then again, most QB's have great days too. Seen two of RTs bad...yet to see a real good one.

Junkie are you proposing we bench Tannehill for Moore? Personally, I don't agree, but if you start a new thread, I'll listen to your thoughts.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 am

Then you replace him as the starter with Lamar Miller and move on. This all in good time stuff doesn't do the team any good...they don't get any better. Miller might have deficiences, but he'll get better. Ditto for Thomas. Time to quit with the excuses.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am

No. Not at all. RT is now the guy. But you'll have to excuse me as I was excoriated on here for saying he was too raw to start right away back in the preseason. It turns out I was right. My point, in case you missed it clearly stated above is that benching Bush is stupid. Period. End of Statement.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
But you'll have to excuse me as I was excoriated on here for saying he was too raw to start right away back in the preseason. It turns out I was right.

:) :) :)

So because he had his first bad game in two months, you were right?

Wow... after over a month with no interceptions, a rookie has a bad game and that means he was too raw to start.

Head firmly embedded in arse.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Junkie are you proposing we bench Tannehill for Moore? Personally, I don't agree, but if you start a new thread, I'll listen to your thoughts.

Yep, this thread is about Reggie getting a time out.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Dave Hyde wrote:

I agree with Rich 100%. Bush has had one game this year with over 100 yard rushing. That was the Oakland game. He has 555 yard from 126 carries through 9 games. He is averaging only 61.66 yards per game. And he is only averaging 14 carries a game through 9 games. That is hardly feature back type numbers. If you take out the Oakland game where he had 172 yards on 26 carries his average per game drop to 12.5 carries per game for 47.87 yards per game.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:54 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

You know, I was thinking before the game that I can't remember the last quarterback to go 4 games without an interception. Danny threw a crapload of them and behind an OL much better than this one.

Anyways, back to Bush. The Dolphins didn 't lose this game because of Bush getting benched and no one is saying that. We are talking about the decision to give your #1 running back a time out over a fumble. Fumbles do happen and we all hate them. To me, the way he fumbled made the decision suspect in my book.

What is done is done though. They need to get their heads un-"NFL Junkie" and back on the next game.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 pm
Profile WWW

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
But you'll have to excuse me as I was excoriated on here for saying he was too raw to start right away back in the preseason. It turns out I was right.

:) :) :)

Wow... after over a month with no interceptions, a rookie has a bad game and that means he was too raw to start.

Head firmly embedded in arse.

First bad game in two months? has he had a good one? He is the unTebow. He looks the part. He acts the part but he can't come from behind and can't lead. The guy has a QB rating worse than Chad Henne and we're extolling his virtuous ability to not turn the ball over? Yeap...I'm the one with my head up my arse. The best game we've seen from a QB this year was when Matt Moore stepped in after the injury. I said it last week and I'll say it again: You can't just play safe football and expect to win. Yesterday this team scored 3 points against a team yielding 25 a game. RT has 5 TD passes. Some QB's have 5 TDs in one game. So while its nice that he can lead a team that is dominating the other team....it would be nicer if he could lead this team when things aren't going so well.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Quote:
You know, I was thinking before the game that I can't remember the last quarterback to go 4 games without an interception. Danny threw a crapload of them and behind an OL much better than this one.

Yeah Marino threw INTs because he wasn't afraid of coverage. Show me a 9 game stretch anywhere in Dan's career where he only threw 5 TD passes.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next