View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jake Long????? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Jake Long?????
if the draft were to take place today, and we were picking around 16, I'd say it would be between:

OT - Luke Joekel
WR - Keenan Allen
WR - Terence Williams
CB - Dee milliner
CB - Johnathan Banks

I would prefer to go terence Williams to finally give us the huge vertical playmaking wide receiver that tannehill could lean on. I think we can get a quality off. tackle and corner in round 2.
then take another corner in round 3.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phin wrote:
He won't command near the money he would like. Bad year ....year and a half heading into contract talks. We might be seeing the last of him in Miami.

I agree. It won't hurt that bad to let him walk, seeing that his replacement (J. Martin) is already on the roster.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I agree. It won't hurt that bad to let him walk, seeing that his replacement (J. Martin) is already on the roster.

Did you not watch Martin yesterday?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

I saw a turnstile.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think it's any mystery that Martin needs time to develop. That was his knock coming out early from Stanford. Every scout there was said the kid needed a year to develop more strength at the point of attack and to work on his punch block. But all of them also agreed that technique wise he was solid and that he had the tools to be an All-Pro RT if given time to develop and build strength. I think he's going to be a long term solution for us at RT, it will just take time. Just think how much he's improved since the preseason. If the kid keeps improving, I think he'll be just fine.

Long on the other hand worries me. He's not his former self. The Jake Long we saw coming out of Michigan no longer exists. The dominant former first overall pick is a shadow of himself. I don't know whether it's the new zone blocking scheme or the collection of injuries he's sustained over his career. Either way, one thing is certain, he had better start playing better soon, or we might be forced to move on. That Colts game showed that Long might be better off playing for someone else next year. Unles he turns it around, I'd rather see the Dolphins put a 1st round tender on the guy and try to move him for a draft pick. Then we would have two 1st round picks to rebuild the offensive line and try to better protect Tannehill. I truly believe our offensive line is holding our offense back right now.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Martin still outplayed Long. I've seen this two games now where the tackle tries to pick up the blitzing LB. THE DE.then comes in and crushes RT. I don't know about you but at least he can see the oncoming LB. I don't know if this is confusion, coaching or lack of communication with RT and his OL,

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Martin still outplayed Long. I've seen this two games now where the tackle tries to pick up the blitzing LB. THE DE.then comes in and crushes RT. I don't know about you but at least he can see the oncoming LB. I don't know if this is confusion, coaching or lack of communication with RT and his OL,

It's likely both. Tannehill is going to misread things once and a while, rookie mistakes. Martin too will occasionally get mixed up in his blocking assignment, again rookie mistakes. Same goes for Long, he's learning a new blocking scheme and getting used to a new quarterback. This group has only been working together for a couple of months now. They run a complex offense that requires on the fly changes. If you aren't 100% confident in the play call, it leads to penalties and missed blocks, which is what we're seeing. I think this type of stuff will get cleaned up in time, but it's going to take a while.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
if the draft were to take place today, and we were picking around 16, I'd say it would be between:

OT - Luke Joekel
WR - Keenan Allen
WR - Terence Williams
CB - Dee milliner
CB - Johnathan Banks

I would prefer to go terence Williams to finally give us the huge vertical playmaking wide receiver that tannehill could lean on. I think we can get a quality off. tackle and corner in round 2.
then take another corner in round 3.

I think it'll be a pass rusher.

I'd flip if they spent a #1 on anything but a skill position.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am not happy with Long's play so far either, and Martin had some bad misses as well..

However I will point out that Mathis and Freeney are not exactly chumps...
Just expect alot more out of Jake. And with his contract expiring I think its safe to play ball with him. If he wants too much $ then let him get it elsewhere...

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 am

He will sign with NE. Then he can be dead to us like JT was.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Yes, I did. He wasn't the one getting beat constantly by Dwight Freeny. I also watched him in the preseason game at Dallas where in the third quarter, he played two drives at left tackle and he played fairly well. He was a left tackle in college, and I think the move to right tackle has a lot to do with why he is struggling at times.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:43 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

It's likely both. Tannehill is going to misread things once and a while, rookie mistakes. Martin too will occasionally get mixed up in his blocking assignment, again rookie mistakes. Same goes for Long, he's learning a new blocking scheme and getting used to a new quarterback. This group has only been working together for a couple of months now. They run a complex offense that requires on the fly changes. If you aren't 100% confident in the play call, it leads to penalties and missed blocks, which is what we're seeing. I think this type of stuff will get cleaned up in time, but it's going to take a while.

That's fine but in this last case he shifted Thomas...Long obviously oblivious to the help squeezed his protection allowing Freeney to come untouched. If they want RT on IR...let's keep that up.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

That's fine but in this last case he shifted Thomas...Long obviously oblivious to the help squeezed his protection allowing Freeney to come untouched. If they want RT on IR...let's keep that up.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the kind of growing pains you can expect when you have a new group of teammates trying to run such a complex offense. Tannehill is a tough kid, and he's learning every week, I'm sure the mistakes will slowly go away. But it isn't going to change overnight unfortunately. I expect we'll look a lot better by the end of the season, but that doesn't help us right now when we're trying to fight for a spot.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
This is far from the caliber of play that Jake Long has been known for throughout his career. The former first-round pick has set the standard for his position since he came into the league, but he has been raising eyebrows this season with his inconsistent play.

It is worth pointing out that the Dolphins placed the franchise tag on Long prior to the start of this season. That may not have anything to do with his performance, but it would not be the first time a player has been negatively affected by the tag.

Still, as bad as Long was abused on Sunday, the damage could have been much worse. I would say Jake owes his quarterback a steak dinner after this one. Maybe he should be the one buying Isotoner gloves for Christmas, because on this day, it was the quick decisions and excellent play of the rookie quarterback that protected the Pro Bowl left tackle, instead of the other way around.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/11/0 ... OPAUpW3.99

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2