View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sean Smith = TERRIBLE TODAY 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Sean Smith = TERRIBLE TODAY
OK, team sport and quick after game post by me, but Sean Smith SUCKED EGGS today! Terrible positioning on picks he SHOULD have had, namely that ridiculous chuck down field for a touchdown that I have no idea what the heck Smith was doing when he had free reign to step in front of that ball in the end zone, then the biggest GIFT of them all with a pick RIGHT INTO HIS HANDS inside the Colts 30 which is safe to say was the game right there with just about what 3 minutes left in the game????. Just PATHETIC.

Throw in his awful tackling and he is the GOAT of the game.

Dansby's pick 6 miss didn't help either. My point is Miami was in position to make game changing plays and just flat out dropped the ball. Ok, there I am done venting.

PS: I know the entire defense couldn't stop Luck enough today, but Smith......UGH.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Sean Smith = TERRIBLE TODAY
Finhead34 wrote:
My point is Miami was in position to make game changing plays and just flat out dropped the ball. .

It is what Miami does. They don't make the plays to win close games.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Anytime you let a rookie QB throw for over 400yrds the defense sucks. Hate to say it, but it's true. Sean SMith got abused by 2nd tier WRs and he's in a contracy year? LOL....don't let the door hit your butt on the way out cuz.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Just sickening that the ball is right into the hands with Dansby as he stepped right in front of the receiver.....only to......bloop....drop the ball.

Sean Smith? He drops a pass that a pee wee football player would have caught, I mean how much easier can that be? A softly thrown ball RIGHT into his hands???? I am still besides myself on that play. I mean how is it even possible to drop that?? Buy some stickem Sean and take a chance of being caught, but find a dang way to catch the friggin ball.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dont forget the pee poor tackling

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:37 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Jimmy Wilson was also getting picked on. This lose falls on the secondary, no doubt about it.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It is just a shame when players put themselves into a good position and then lack the fundamental play to finish it off.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Hen wrote:
Jimmy Wilson was also getting picked on. This lose falls on the secondary, no doubt about it.

The pass rush or lack thereof played a huge role also.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

:angry: :angry:

Last edited by shularino on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

[Luck's yards were a result of our inability to stop their drives at 3rd and long. Today 3rd and long may as well been 3rd and an inch. It's been a long time since the D played this bad..............they went from being considered one of the better D's to one of the worst.

Smith had atleast three easy opportunites to change the outcome of this game, missed interception for Colts TD, wiffed on the receiver for 3rd and long and missed another interception that would have put us in position for the win.

Not sure when Mathews will be back, but I would defiantely replace Smith with Carroll.

:angry:

Last edited by shularino on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:11 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Coaching is half to blame. No press coverage and no pass rush = a loss. Smith is in a contract year and he should be lights out, double coverage and a little byotch of a WR jumped over 2 defenders for the winning TD....shame.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm not sure how much coaching is to blame..............we did a great job of putting them in 3rd and longs. You got to expect your players to stand up.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:15 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Makchell wrote:
Coaching is half to blame. No press coverage and no pass rush = a loss. Smith is in a contract year and he should be lights out, double coverage and a little byotch of a WR jumped over 2 defenders for the winning TD....shame.

I think coaching was a large part to blame too. There wasn't a half time adjustment that made pressure on Luck & they continuously rushed 3 on 3rd & long. Very frustrating.

I think Philbin & Co have some things to learn about getting the team to play their game & take the pressure off tight situations. We were 3rd best in the league on 3rd downs, I think, before this game.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Man, besides the Houston loss, Miami has let the other losses beat themselves. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, Miami could very well be 7-1 or 6-2. The promising thing is that Philbin has this team going into a much better direction, so I try and hang on to that thought, even after a tough loss today.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Man, besides the Houston loss, Miami has let the other losses beat themselves. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, Miami could very well be 7-1 or 6-2. The promising thing is that Philbin has this team going into a much better direction, so I try and hang on to that thought, even after a tough loss today.
I'm more disappointed in the way they lost than the fact they lost. 12 for 14 on 3rd & 10 or more is just ridiculous. Plus its not like the Colts were making great plays, their WRs were just wide open by 5 Yds. One would have thought that when they were 8 for 10 Miami might have thought. Hmm maybe what they were doing was not working.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The strength of this defense is the blitz. Rushing 3-4 will get our weak secondary exposed... wth were they thinking?!? Need to send 5-6 every play.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Finhead34 wrote:

Good thinking, Bro. Preciate ya.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Finhead34 wrote:
It is just a shame when players put themselves into a good position and then lack the fundamental play to finish it off.

thats the difference between us and the bears. They grab everything. They dont even need an offense.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Coyle's defense in Cincy got a lot of turnovers............he's got to be fuming over Smith's performance today. Right now, I only see 3 real ball hawks in our D, Wake, Jones and Vernon. I expect that to change next year.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I was criticized for saying this teams CBs hide behind the front 7. Our CBs are bad...period. Smith never has lived up to expectations. Here we are another year later and this guy still gives up more plays than he makes.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The secondary is definately our biggest weakness................not alot we can do about it now. I got to believe Philbin and Coyle are going to make some shakeups next week.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Our entire secondary played like garbage today, singling out Smith only accounts for maybe six or seven of Luck's 30 completions today. Luck did everything but giftwrap about four or five of those throws, but our defensive backs didn't come down with them. Smith's lousy performance is only one piece of the mess our secondary caused today.

Bottom line, if they had done a better job of closing and wrapping up, we'd have stopped about 80% of their 3rd down conversions today. The big bombs stick in your mind, but it's the 10-15 yard comeback routes that ate us alive today. Sloppy tackling and allowing their receivers to get yards after the catch are what killed us.

We have to get better as a defense. Today was ugly.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I was criticized for saying this teams CBs hide behind the front 7. Our CBs are bad...period. Smith never has lived up to expectations. Here we are another year later and this guy still gives up more plays than he makes.

Ill agree with this. Go back and watch thrusts game last week, you'll see SS out of position on many throws where the pass was simply off the mark. Had Luck been the an last week, we'd have gotten smoked again. Sean is capable of good games and will have them occasionally., but he lacks consistency.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:23 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Sean Smith was in position to have an epic game, but instead had an epic fail. I don't think I have seen a situation in which a player could have had such a great game but instead had such a bad one. He easily could have been defensive player of the week, but instead will be goat of the week.

Here's what I mean.

Early in the game, he had an opportunity to intercept an overthrown pass by Luck. It hit him right in the hands and he dropped it.

On the T.Y. Hilton touchdown, Smith was in perfect position to undercut the play and get an interception. Instead he lost the ball in the air and T.Y. Hilton was able to undercut him and jump for it. Touchdown.

Late in the game, he had a sure interception in his grasp that would have put the Dolphins in field goal range. Instead, he doesn't secure the ball and tries to get up to run and it's called an incomplete pass.

If Smith makes those plays, he has three interceptions, Luck's numbers look much worse and we probably win the game.

Amazing how many opportunities he let slip...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
“I lost it in the lights,” Smith later explained. “After that, I’m no help to nobody.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/05/3 ... rylink=cpy

Why didn't Hilton lose it in the lights? I think Sean Smith is trying so hard to keep up with these fast receivers that he doesn't have a clue where the ball is at times. I saw this last week vs the Jets a couple of times.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Smith not only didn't make those plays Rich, but has that horrendous missed tackle on 3rd and long in the flat, and should have allowed that other TD to TY Hilton.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Not to defend Smith much, but I was thinking the same thing about the lights. Maybe the ball looks different against that dome?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Marshall is healthy..........I'd bench Smith or atleast take away his starting position. He looked lost, unprepared and physically inadequate. A message needs to sent after that performance.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
If Marshall is healthy..........I'd bench Smith or atleast take away his starting position. He looked lost, unprepared and physically inadequate. A message needs to sent after that performance.

Sean Smith had a bad game, but he also is our best corner. I really think Marshall will make you miss Smith.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

shularino wrote:

Lol when Marshall was healthy he was getting toasted. Sean Smith has played very well for most of the season. He held his own versus players like Fitz and AJ Green.

I don't know why so many people want to blame Smith for this loss. The whole secondary played poorly and the lack of pass rush was evident. Just because Wake is getting some pressure off the edge does not mean that we had a good pass rush vs the Colts this Sunday. There was absolutely no push from inside to collapse the pocket. All Luck had to do was step up or slide over. Luck had a lot of time to throw the ball. You give any above average QB that much time and most will carve you up as Luck did. Give credit to the Colts O-Line as well.

Yea Sean Smith blew that TD pass to Hilton, and yes he dropped a very easy INT at the end of the game, but at least he was in the right position to make those plays. To say, "he looked lost, unprepared, and physically inadequate" is ridiculous. It is very easy to point the finger at one player. The Colts out played us plain and simple. Give credit when credit is due. You can't win them ALL! Sean Smith has proven this season that he is a starting caliber Cb. One thing is for sure, at least I see Sean Smith ALWAYS around the ball. Because I don't see Chris Clemons -- a free safety -- hardly ever around the ball. Smith needs to start coming up with some of those chances, but he is doing a good job of putting himself in the right position to make a play, he just needs to execute it, which he's done a lot this season. One really bad game, he will learn, adjust, and correct it.

So many people talk out of emotion...

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I stand by the comment he looked lost, unprepared and physically inadequate. He definately looked lost on that bomb to Hilton..........he was unprepared to cover Wayne..........and he was physically inadequate to come up and make a 3rd down tackle or an easy interception.

Listen, he was absolutely horrible against Indy. I will agree, options are limited.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:50 am

Smith is the most overrated CB I've seen. Everyone keeps touting how this guy i s great. I've yet to see it. He can't play zone. WR's are typically too fast for him in that regard. He is decent in press coverage once he gets his hands on a guy. His biggest weakness is tackling. He's horrible. He doesn't give up his body. He tries to arm tackle and he'll often miss guys because he's being way too tenative.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 pm

shularino wrote:

So one bad performance negates all the good ones he had this season (ie against Fitz and AJ Green)???

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Everyone keeps touting how this guy i s great.

Who is "everyone"?

I haven't heard anyone call him great and I listen to sports talk radio all day in Miami.

They've called him young, talented, having potential, improving, but not once have I heard the term great.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

So one bad performance negates all the good ones he had this season (ie against Fitz and AJ Green)???

Considering our secondary.........maybe benching is a bit extreme, but that performance was beyond bad.........he continues to wiff on tackles and has hands of stone. If you're a coaching staff, what are you suppossed to do? You call the right play and the player doesn't deliver...........not once, but repeatedly, not only in that game........but throughout his career. He continues to drop interceptions and is unwilling to take on players coming at him.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Come on Rich, isn't every player in a Dolphin uniform supposed to be great?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think we need to working finding/drafting his replacement this offseason.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Phin wrote:

No offense, but I think that's beyond a reach considering the lack of talent we have in the secondary.

Unless you mean replace his role as the #1 CB. Then I agree. But Sean is a must re-sign.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

No offense, but I think that's beyond a reach considering the lack of talent we have in the secondary.

Unless you mean replace his role as the #1 CB. Then I agree. But Sean is a must re-sign.

Maybe if he's willing to get paid bottom $$.........there's no must in resigning that guy.............in fact, I'm quite sure he's gone.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm

shularino wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Maybe if he's willing to get paid bottom $$.........there's no must in resigning that guy.............in fact, I'm quite sure he's gone.

I'll be willing to put A LOT of money on him being one of the first guys to re-sign in February.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next