View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 am



Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57 
Author Message
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Adam Schefter just reported that Dez ran a 4.57 at his Pro Day.

To me, this is a HUGE turn off for Bill Parcells and co. Dez is very capable of running a low 4.4 time, but a 4.57 on a fast surface, to me, shows his lack of work ethic and his laziness. I don't think he is a consideration at this point.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 156
Location: Mexico City
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
Adam Schefter just reported that Dez ran a 4.57 at his Pro Day.

To me, this is a HUGE turn off for Bill Parcells and co. Dez is very capable of running a low 4.4 time, but a 4.57 on a fast surface, to me, shows his lack of work ethic and his laziness. I don't think he is a consideration at this point.


So if he runs a 4.4 he is?

Dez Bryant isn't a consideration not because of his skills...

For all the Bryant fans, I would suggest to move on... its not gonna happen.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5278
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
ha, the day i say i think the fins might take him he disappoints.

i dont think a subpar 40 time changes everything so drastically, but it was still disappointing.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 144
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
I was not high on him to begin with. He's a player I would only draft if he fell ridiculously low, say middle of the second round. I know he has more talent than that and will be gone, but something about him screams 'caveat emptor'.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm
Profile
Assistant FFL Commish
Assistant FFL Commish
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Eureka, CA
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
NFL.com

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant is still going through position drills at his private workout for NFL teams, but I do have his 40-yard dash times to pass along.

Bryant began the workouts Tuesday in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas, with the 40, posting times of 4.52, 4.68 and 4.52. He was asked to run the third time due to the discrepancy between the first two times.

Early during his position drills, Bryant did drop some passes, but he looked much better after getting into the flow of the drills with former Oklahoma State QB Bobby Reid.

The notable NFL coaches and executives in attendance today include Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, coach Mike Singletary and director of player personnel Trent Baalke of the 49ers, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and director of college scouting John Dorsey, Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler, Bucs wide receivers coach Eric Yarber and Raiders scout Cliff Branch.

– Gil Brandt

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
pawfectgent wrote:
I was not high on him to begin with. He's a player I would only draft if he fell ridiculously low, say middle of the second round. I know he has more talent than that and will be gone, but something about him screams 'caveat emptor'.


Even then I wouldn't draft him. You can get an excellent player at that spot, and Dez Bryant is not that.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile
Assistant FFL Commish
Assistant FFL Commish
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Eureka, CA
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Lets see, we drafted Ginn because of his speed and I believe Oakland also greatly over reached on Heyward-Bey last year because they became enamored with his 40 speed. Hows that working out? Obviously there is a lot more to playing Wr in the NFL than a 40 yard time. Despite missing most of last season because of an excessively harsh suspension from the draconian goons at the NCAA, Dez is still expected to be the first WR drafted in April and it's easy to see why. He has an exceptional combination of size, mobility, and football skills. Bryant is a rock solid 6'2 215 with a very fluid running stride. He changes directions very well for a bigger WR and has a nice burst. Though not a true burner, Bryant possesses enough speed to make plays downfield and outrun defenders after the catch. He has the tools needed to become an above average WR1 in the NFL. I consider him the only can't-miss skill position prospect in this draft. I believe we can pick up Safety, OLB and NT in later rounds. If he's there at 12, I hope we grab Bryant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJcT_NYV2Q

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
TennFinFan13 wrote:
Lets see, we drafted Ginn because of his speed and I believe Oakland also greatly over reached on Heyward-Bey last year because they became enamored with his 40 speed. Hows that working out? Obviously there is a lot more to playing Wr in the NFL than a 40 yard time. Despite missing most of last season because of an excessively harsh suspension from the draconian goons at the NCAA, Dez is still expected to be the first WR drafted in April and it's easy to see why. He has an exceptional combination of size, mobility, and football skills. Bryant is a rock solid 6'2 215 with a very fluid running stride. He changes directions very well for a bigger WR and has a nice burst. Though not a true burner, Bryant possesses enough speed to make plays downfield and outrun defenders after the catch. He has the tools needed to become an above average WR1 in the NFL. I consider him the only can't-miss skill position prospect in this draft. I believe we can pick up Safety, OLB and NT in later rounds. If he's there at 12, I hope we grab Bryant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJcT_NYV2Q


I absolutely agree with everything you said, Tennessee.

My point is not that he isn't an option because he doesn't have great speed...It is that he is faster than 4.57, and clearly did not train hard enough despite having extra time for this. On the field, he has 4.40-4.45 type speed, and there are very few DB's who can keep up on a down field route with Bryant.

The turn off is the lack of effort...not necassarily what he did run, as much as the fact that he should have run much better.

Talent wise, he is the number 4 player on my Big Board (if I had one), only behind the 2 DT's and Eric Berry. He is leaps and bounds bette than any WR in this year's draft. It's really a shame he does not have it between the ears.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 pm
Profile
Assistant FFL Commish
Assistant FFL Commish
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Eureka, CA
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
How can you say he doesnt have it "between the ears" when you haven't met him or sat down and had an intelligent conversation with him. In 1983 they were tons of rumors right before the draft that Marino was a coke head. He slipped to us at 27. Bryant, to my knowledge, has never had any scrape with the law. A few rumors about showing up late to a team meeting doesn't equate that he won't be a star at the next level, IMO.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
TennFinFan13 wrote:
How can you say he doesnt have it "between the ears" when you haven't met him or sat down and had an intelligent conversation with him. In 1983 they were tons of rumors right before the draft that Marino was a coke head. He slipped to us at 27. Bryant, to my knowledge, has never had any scrape with the law. A few rumors about showing up late to a team meeting doesn't equate that he won't be a star at the next level, IMO.


Stories about him showing up late to meetings is the thing I am the least concerned with.

He showed up 30 min. before a game one time.....HALF AN HOUR! He consistently showed up late to class, practices, meetings, etc. He has gotten himself involed with Pac Man Jones, Dion Sanders, and the world's crappiest agent. He lied to the NCAA, and got himself suspended for the entire year.

He's immature, he's lazy, and he's undisciplined.

I don't know how intelligent he is, but he certainly isn't smart.

If he did not have those problems, I would have no problem predicting him to be the next Andre Johnson, as the talent is there. But you just can't take a chance on a guy like that at number 12, with so many needs defensively, and such great talent available.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3226
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Dez Byant is what I thought he was and would run, in the 4.4-4.5 range. He runs an average of 4.5 and now he is going to drop? He came in and 224 lbs running those times. He is faster than Anquan Boldin, as fast as Larry Fitzgerald and as fast probably as Brandon Marshall.

The guys that did not like Bryant would not have liked the kid if he ran a 4.3 or a 4.4, so stop trying to find other reason not to like the kid.

His production and talent is there. If his maturity issues scare people off, so be it, but the kid can ball.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
phinsfansc wrote:
Dez Byant is what I thought he was and would run, in the 4.4-4.5 range. He runs an average of 4.5 and now he is going to drop? He came in and 224 lbs running those times. He is faster than Anquan Boldin, as fast as Larry Fitzgerald and as fast probably as Brandon Marshall.

The guys that did not like Bryant would not have liked the kid if he ran a 4.3 or a 4.4, so stop trying to find other reason not to like the kid.

His production and talent is there. If his maturity issues scare people off, so be it, but the kid can ball.


Just saw the times, and apparently it was a 4.52 which he ran twice. That's better than a 4.57. However, I think he could have and should have run better than that. I don't think this bodes well for the people critical of his work ethic. That's all I'm saying; not that he can't play because he didn't run a 4.35.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm
Profile
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5354
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Yeap...let's forget the production on the field and go by the stopwatch. That kind of talk is why ZT dropped to the 5th round.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:15 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:

Just saw the times, and apparently it was a 4.52 which he ran twice. That's better than a 4.57..


We've discussed this, and you adamantly told me that both of those numbers are the same. 4.52 and 4.57=4.5

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:37 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
He also ran those times.. in brand new shoes.. Not cleats.. Apparently he forgot his cleats. Yikes. He apparently slipped.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 156
Location: Mexico City
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:
How can you say he doesnt have it "between the ears" when you haven't met him or sat down and had an intelligent conversation with him. In 1983 they were tons of rumors right before the draft that Marino was a coke head. He slipped to us at 27. Bryant, to my knowledge, has never had any scrape with the law. A few rumors about showing up late to a team meeting doesn't equate that he won't be a star at the next level, IMO.


Stories about him showing up late to meetings is the thing I am the least concerned with.

He showed up 30 min. before a game one time.....HALF AN HOUR! He consistently showed up late to class, practices, meetings, etc. He has gotten himself involed with Pac Man Jones, Dion Sanders, and the world's crappiest agent. He lied to the NCAA, and got himself suspended for the entire year.

He's immature, he's lazy, and he's undisciplined.

I don't know how intelligent he is, but he certainly isn't smart.

If he did not have those problems, I would have no problem predicting him to be the next Andre Johnson, as the talent is there. But you just can't take a chance on a guy like that at number 12, with so many needs defensively, and such great talent available.


Very well said... I agree 100%

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Just saw the times, and apparently it was a 4.52 which he ran twice. That's better than a 4.57..


We've discussed this, and you adamantly told me that both of those numbers are the same. 4.52 and 4.57=4.5

I didn't say they were the same thing. I same that they were both 4.5's.

What you were saying is that a 4.5 is a 4.50. And I was saying that a 4.5 can be anything inbetween a 4.51-4.59.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile
Assistant FFL Commish
Assistant FFL Commish
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Eureka, CA
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Regarding Dez's work ethic, it's hard to tell the smoke from the fire at this point. This is the time of year when character issues mysteriously crop up about every top player in the draft. At this time last year everyone was chirping about Crabtree's lack of character/speed while saying Harvin was a cancer who couldn't handle the pressures of the NFL. Like I posted earlier, Dan Marino was rumored to be a coke addict which is why he dropped to 27th.

If Dez works hard, he will be a solid top 10-15 WR1. I don't know if he's going to work hard, but I do know that he has difference-maker talent, which is more than can be said for all but 2-3 other rookies in this draft class. We need some play makers on offense. Our best WR wasn't even drafted and our RBs are fairly old by NFL standards. Defenses will start teeing off on our running game if we can't throw the ball.

_________________
Image


Last edited by TennFinFan13 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3226
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:
How can you say he doesnt have it "between the ears" when you haven't met him or sat down and had an intelligent conversation with him. In 1983 they were tons of rumors right before the draft that Marino was a coke head. He slipped to us at 27. Bryant, to my knowledge, has never had any scrape with the law. A few rumors about showing up late to a team meeting doesn't equate that he won't be a star at the next level, IMO.


Stories about him showing up late to meetings is the thing I am the least concerned with.

He showed up 30 min. before a game one time.....HALF AN HOUR! He consistently showed up late to class, practices, meetings, etc. He has gotten himself involed with Pac Man Jones, Dion Sanders, and the world's crappiest agent. He lied to the NCAA, and got himself suspended for the entire year.

He's immature, he's lazy, and he's undisciplined.

I don't know how intelligent he is, but he certainly isn't smart.

If he did not have those problems, I would have no problem predicting him to be the next Andre Johnson, as the talent is there. But you just can't take a chance on a guy like that at number 12, with so many needs defensively, and such great talent available.



Dez Bryant may be immature, but lazy and undisciplined? You don't put up 147 career catches in 28 career games, 2,425 yards for a 16.5 yard average and have 29 career TD because you are LAZY.

His numbers he put up at his Pro Day are similar to Brandon Marshall. Marshall ran a 4.55, had a vertical of 37 inches and broad jumped 10.0. Bryant times averaged 4.55, he had a vertical of 38 inches and he broad jumped 11'1. I just saw the kid on ESPN and he looked ripped at 224 lbs.

I have said this before and I will say it again. Dez Bryant is among the group of guys I listed in my blog that I would be happy with Miami drafting in the 1st round.

His maturity issues are a concern and need to be checked thoroughly, but he has never had ANY issues with the law or with Mike Gundy while at Oklahoma State. The talent is there, the production is there.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Just saw the times, and apparently it was a 4.52 which he ran twice. That's better than a 4.57..


We've discussed this, and you adamantly told me that both of those numbers are the same. 4.52 and 4.57=4.5

I didn't say they were the same thing. I same that they were both 4.5's.

What you were saying is that a 4.5 is a 4.50. And I was saying that a 4.5 can be anything inbetween a 4.51-4.59.


4.5 and 4.50 are the same thing.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
I don't know what you call showing up late consistently to everything, and it gets bad enough that teammates are worried that you won't show up to games, but I call that lazy.

Again Tony, I don't care what he ran from the standpoint of you need to be a certain speed to be successful. As I've mentioned lots of times, Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 and Boldin a 4.7. But, in my opinion, the fact that he is capable physically of running in the low 4.4's, and he instead ran a mid 4.5, and forgot his cleats??? Come on...


Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I didn't say they were the same thing. I same that they were both 4.5's.

What you were saying is that a 4.5 is a 4.50. And I was saying that a 4.5 can be anything inbetween a 4.51-4.59.


4.5 and 4.50 are the same thing.


Lmao. Whatever dude.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I didn't say they were the same thing. I same that they were both 4.5's.

What you were saying is that a 4.5 is a 4.50. And I was saying that a 4.5 can be anything inbetween a 4.51-4.59.


4.5 and 4.50 are the same thing.


Lmao. Whatever dude.


:pumpiron:

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3326
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 in college, just sayin

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:54 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Ski_Money wrote:
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 in college, just sayin


Been mentioned. Just sayin'

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3226
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins, I realize you are talking about the story posted by Jason Cole of Yahoo.com, but I also know that teams and agents put out information, false information in hoping that certain kids drop.

If Miami selects Dez, they will have done there homework on the kid and felt comfortable with what they found out about Dez and the various stories out there, including the one you keep hanging your hat on.

If they don't then there more truth to the story and the team will not feel he is worth the investment at #12.

Brandon Graham, CJ Spiller, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, Earl Thomas & Dez Bryant are all guys I would be happy with at #12 and nothing has changed that.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:15 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Montereale Valcenilla, Italy
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
4.5 or 4.6, It doesn't matter. With his strength and size, he is going to develop miss matches. The kid is strong and fights for the ball. Besides, I don't care about the 40 too much, I mean it's nice to see what a kid can run but game speed is totally different. When the ball is in the air, or a defender is chasing you everyone gets a little extra jolt and that 4.5 becomes a 4.4. I mean Ronnie didn't run the fastest 40, but when he breaks out of a hole, it seems no one can catch him at least for a while. I'll be happy with whatever decision the Phins make, but I still believe Dez is going to develop into one hell of a reciever.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm
Profile
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3694
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Would much rather take a shot on CJ Spiller to add some explosiveness... lack of work ethic for a guy who's about to make millions of dollars is such a bad sign.


Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Lakeland, FL
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5558

This is what I had read today. No idea where the 4.32 came from but I was excited until I saw 4.57 here.

I have no opinions about the difference cleats can make because I prefer to be barefoot if I can help it

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:13 pm
Profile
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 945
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Good!

Let's hope this is the end of all the Dez Bryant talk.

_________________
Image


Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
Adam Schefter just reported that Dez ran a 4.57 at his Pro Day.
To me, this is a HUGE turn off for Bill Parcells and co. Dez is very capable of running a low 4.4 time, but a 4.57 on a fast surface, to me, shows his lack of work ethic and his laziness. I don't think he is a consideration at this point.
I do not believe he was being considered any way. Miami will go pass rusher IMO.

There should be quality Wr in Rd. 2.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, I realize you are talking about the story posted by Jason Cole of Yahoo.com, but I also know that teams and agents put out information, false information in hoping that certain kids drop.

If Miami selects Dez, they will have done there homework on the kid and felt comfortable with what they found out about Dez and the various stories out there, including the one you keep hanging your hat on.

If they don't then there more truth to the story and the team will not feel he is worth the investment at #12.

Brandon Graham, CJ Spiller, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, Earl Thomas & Dez Bryant are all guys I would be happy with at #12 and nothing has changed that.


I agree 100% with everything you said. Including all the guys you like.

_________________
Image


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile
Assistant FFL Commish
Assistant FFL Commish
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Eureka, CA
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
hypocritex wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, I realize you are talking about the story posted by Jason Cole of Yahoo.com, but I also know that teams and agents put out information, false information in hoping that certain kids drop.

If Miami selects Dez, they will have done there homework on the kid and felt comfortable with what they found out about Dez and the various stories out there, including the one you keep hanging your hat on.

If they don't then there more truth to the story and the team will not feel he is worth the investment at #12.

Brandon Graham, CJ Spiller, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, Earl Thomas & Dez Bryant are all guys I would be happy with at #12 and nothing has changed that.


I agree 100% with everything you said. Including all the guys you like.


Not sold on Spiller, rather have Mathews. but I'll be happy with BPA as detemined by Sparano and CO.

_________________
Image


Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:13 pm
Profile
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2155
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Dez Bryant will make all the teams that pass him up look stupid. I think he lands in Seattle, but would not be surprised to see him go to the San Francisco 49er's.....imagine a team with Bryant, Crabtree and Vernon Davis :yay: ....speaking of the 49er's, there is a franchise going in the right direction.

Oh....didn't Jerry Rice run like a 4.6 40 yard dash.....he sucked all the way to Canton, huh? 4.5 to 4.6 speed coupled with a broad jump that would have beat all competition in the combine.....all on a 6'2" 225 lb frame....yeah....Dez Bryant is just clearly unable to play in the NFL. All the scouts and professionals are wrong. Please.....

This team has not had a breakaway scoring threat on offense since Ricky in his earlier stint with the Dolphins in 2002. We didn't have good receivers then either. I don't see this changing at all this year. We couldn't even pull the trigger on free agency for an upgrade.

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:
How can you say he doesnt have it "between the ears" when you haven't met him or sat down and had an intelligent conversation with him. In 1983 they were tons of rumors right before the draft that Marino was a coke head. He slipped to us at 27. Bryant, to my knowledge, has never had any scrape with the law. A few rumors about showing up late to a team meeting doesn't equate that he won't be a star at the next level, IMO.


Stories about him showing up late to meetings is the thing I am the least concerned with.

He showed up 30 min. before a game one time.....HALF AN HOUR! He consistently showed up late to class, practices, meetings, etc. He has gotten himself involed with Pac Man Jones, Dion Sanders, and the world's crappiest agent. He lied to the NCAA, and got himself suspended for the entire year.

He's immature, he's lazy, and he's undisciplined.

I don't know how intelligent he is, but he certainly isn't smart.



If he did not have those problems, I would have no problem predicting him to be the next Andre Johnson, as the talent is there. But you just can't take a chance on a guy like that at number 12, with so many needs defensively, and such great talent available.


why is being "involved" with Deion bad?

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:39 am
Posts: 2061
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Amen Phinsfan on what you wrote:

Dez Byant is what I thought he was and would run, in the 4.4-4.5 range. He runs an average of 4.5 and now he is going to drop? He came in and 224 lbs running those times. He is faster than Anquan Boldin, as fast as Larry Fitzgerald and as fast probably as Brandon Marshall.

The guys that did not like Bryant would not have liked the kid if he ran a 4.3 or a 4.4, so stop trying to find other reason not to like the kid.

His production and talent is there. If his maturity issues scare people off, so be it, but the kid can ball.

I dont know where people got the info that Dez Bryant forgot his cleats. It was my understanding he had a ton of cleats and he kept slipping in the underarmour ones and he actually went over to the underarmour rep to tell him he was going to switch to his nikes on the agility cone drill and then he didnt slip.


People that dont even know Dez Bryant are dragging him under the bus any chance they get. He is a 20 year old kid getting ready to play a mans game in the NFL. Cut him some slack until you read he gets in trouble with the law.

I dont anticipate Miami selecting him, but if they do, it would still be a good choice in my opinion.


Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8010
Location: Raleigh, NC
 Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
From PFT.

Quote:
Dez Bryant would be wise to quit talking until after the draft
by Mike Florio
March 31, 2010 4:22 PM ET

Rosenthal posted an item earlier today regarding receiver Dez Bryant's recent comments to the Associated Press. Rosenthal seemed to like Bryant's bravado.

I don't.

Bryant could very well end up being a phenomenal NFL player. But if he flames out, the warning signs were present.

It started with the decision to lie to NCAA investigators regarding his relationship with Deion Sanders. And it was magnified by the report -- not rumor, as the AP now tries to describe it -- from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports regarding multiple instances of tardiness for various activities, including games.

Bryant put his credibility firmly on the line when he responded to the report by claiming he's never been late for anything. Any team that is able to confirm Cole's report with a phone call to an Oklahoma State assistant coach, teammate, or roommate should think seriously about taking Bryant off the board, because it will mean that Bryant cannot be trusted, ever.

More recently, Bryant blew his chance at a buzz-building Pro Day by not bringing his best cleats to the event. And while he scoffs at our report that he forgot to bring cleats at all by pointing out he brought six pairs but didn't bring the best ones, does he really think that his explanation makes the situation any better?

Bryant forgot to bring the shoes he wanted to wear. The fact that he brought a bunch of other shoes makes him look even more scatterbrained and disorganized.

His response? "What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."

Technically, it doesn't have anything to do with playing football. But the kind of character flaw that makes a guy tell a lie whenever he thinks the truth would hurt his interests and the kind of knuckleheadedness that makes a guy show up late (allegedly) or forget to bring his best shoes for the biggest 40-yard dash of his life will manifest itself in other ways.

Plaxico Burress was constantly late for stuff. And he eventually blew a hole through his leg and landed in jail for 20 months.

Burress wasn't a criminal. But he did something criminally stupid. And Bryant is supplying the football-following world with evidence to reinforce the time-honored maxim that stupid is as stupid does.

Plenty of stupid guys can play football very well. But stupid guys can also do things that keep them from being available to play football. And it can happen because they slept too late or because they carried a loaded gun into a Manhattan night club or because of one of many other potential reasons in between.

So whoever decides to take a chance on Bryant will have to account for the possibility that he might do something to affect his ability to play football -- and they'll need to be able and willing to spend the money and time necessary to protect Bryant from himself.

Our advice to Bryant? Quit trying to explain these events. It's only making the situation worse.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ?related=1

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
He's like an 8 year old that keeps lying about stuff, then getting caught and making up another elaborate story and then pouting to earn some sympathy. Amazing.

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Iowafin wrote:
He's like an 8 year old that keeps lying about stuff, then getting caught and making up another elaborate story and then pouting to earn some sympathy. Amazing.


Yup.

Pro football weekly also came out with a story that Dez has some sort of a learning disability, and for the first couple of years of his career, he is going to need a simplified playbook.


Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: The final straw? Dez Bryant runs a 4.57
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
He's like an 8 year old that keeps lying about stuff, then getting caught and making up another elaborate story and then pouting to earn some sympathy. Amazing.


Yup.

Pro football weekly also came out with a story that Dez has some sort of a learning disability, and for the first couple of years of his career, he is going to need a simplified playbook.


I can feel for the people that have troubles learning, or aren't very smart. However, you have to be willing to learn for it to work. Is it a disability, or just lack of motivation? Either way, if he's going to be a project that could end up getting in trouble, I don't think he's worth a top 15 pick. Without all this coming into play I never thought he was worth the top half of the draft in the first place, but I don't know, his whining could ship him late into the 1st, maybe even 2nd.

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.