View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins backup QB Matt Moore steps in, steps up 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins backup QB Matt Moore steps in, steps up
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel
6:57 p.m. EDT, October 28, 2012
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.—
"Hey guys!"
That was quarterback Matt Moore's opening line in the huddle upon his return.
Teammates say the greeting came with a side order of of Moores's trademark cheesy grin.
The career backup has put on a cape and come to an NFL team's rescue his entire career, which includes leading the Dolphins to six victories during last year's rebound from an 0-7 start. So what he faced Sunday against the New York Jets was just like riding a bicycle.
"I had to get a couple of plays under by belt," Moore said, "but once we got into the swing of things and put some drives together I felt comfortable."

"That's how I've gone about my business. Prepare and know the opportunity can come up at anytime," said Moore, who has a 7-7 record in the Dolphins games he's played the past two seasons. "When you get in there manage the game. Don't turn the ball over, but at the same time take your shots and make big plays."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins backup QB Matt Moore steps in, steps up
Quote:
BenVolinPBP Philbin said Matt Moore maybe gets 10 snaps with the starting offense during the week. "It's not much."

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=BenVolinPBP

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He protected the football, managed the game, and we won. That is all you can ask out of your backup. Moore was visibly better than he was in the preseason. Hats off to the guy, he stepped up today and helped his team when they needed him.
:yay:

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i thought he looked really good and if Gaffney doesnt drop that sure TD bomb Moore would have another 70 yards and a TD

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The "hey guys" line is vintage Moore. Hilarious. I can just picture it in the huddle.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Moore's a gamer..........I'm sure the Jet's were thinking they were going to get back into it when Tanehill went down.......nope didn't miss a beat.

That being said, Tanehill's the unquestionable No.1.....if we had Tebow as our No.2.....Tanehill would have been back in the game.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Tannehill is definitely the number 1 guy. However, having a capable backup like Moore on the roster is a luxury most teams don't have. Like someone said above..that bomb to Garney couldn't have been thrown any better. Nice ball. Glad we didn't trade him.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Our back up is better than the Jets starter.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Tannehill is definitely the number 1 guy. However, having a capable backup like Moore on the roster is a luxury most teams don't have. Like someone said above..that bomb to Garney couldn't have been thrown any better. Nice ball. Glad we didn't trade him.

Moore seems to have progressed since the preseason. He looked cool and confident out there, exactly what you want to see. He definitely raised his stock with that game and you're right, that throw to Gaffney was right on the money. It will be interesting to see what Ireland does if teams start calling. I could easily see us getting a 2nd round pick from a desperate team in need of a stop gap.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Moore seems to have progressed since the preseason. He looked cool and confident out there, exactly what you want to see. He definitely raised his stock with that game and you're right, that throw to Gaffney was right on the money. It will be interesting to see what Ireland does if teams start calling. I could easily see us getting a 2nd round pick from a desperate team in need of a stop gap.

In 27 preseason pass attempts you determined Moore was awful, killed his value, and concluded him to be a backup for life ...... and now in 1 game he's got 2nd round pick value?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I know Matt Moore wants a chance to be a starter, but if he is willing to stick around, I would love to see the Dolphins bring him back.

As we have seen, a solid, backup quarterback in a HUGE benefit. Plus, he and Tannehill really get along well and work together well.

If Ryan can't go Sunday, I am very confident in what Matt can do.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's Madden, remember?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I thought Matt looked good last year.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

In 27 preseason pass attempts you determined Moore was awful, killed his value, and concluded him to be a backup for life ...... and now in 1 game he's got 2nd round pick value?

Lol....Pretty funny Rock.

At least we know Miami will not be trading Moore this season. He is too valuable as a back up, hence Tannehill just getting hurt and Moore springing into action.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Wkloiber13 single handedly killed Moore's value? Wow, he must be well regarded in the world of the NFL.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I really hope we dont get rid of Moore. He is a class act and can be called to duty at any time. Sure I wanted Tanny to be our starter but havent taking anything away from Moore. He did a great job for the team and he really likes being in Miami IMO and his teammates respect him and I just dont see the same thing with Devlin but I could be wrong. He isnt going to cost a fortune and him being on the team in noway hurts us. Alright I could go on but he did a good job and I hope he doesnt go anywhere.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The trade deadline is this Thursday........... teams like Arizona and the Eagles are probably intrigued by Moore. Right now, I think any offers Ireland has recived are in line with a 5th or below.........but if someone starts offering a 3rd....you got to wonder?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IMO, there is NO WAY Miami trades Matt Moore this season. Imagine if Miami didn't have Moore's experience when Tannehill went down or if he goes down again. Having a veteran back-up in a season that its very realistic that they can make a playoff run is a bonus and I just don't see the Coach/GM making that move now.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Sherman, meanwhile, made clear his conviction that Moore’s performance — 11-of-19 for 131 yards and a touchdown — far exceeded his numbers.

“I can’t say enough about the job he did,” Sherman said. “I don’t think people truly understand — you lose your starting quarterback, who not just last week but this season has gotten 95 percent of the (practice) snaps. There are few teams that would have someone like Matt go in and perform at such a high level in such an early part of the game.”

The time Moore spends with Taylor every Friday certainly doesn’t hurt. With Moore getting such little work with the first team during practices, he has enlisted Taylor to grab a script — the list of plays run in a two-hour workout — from one of the practices and go through each play.

“I’ll just pretend everyone is out there,” Moore said. “I’ll make all the calls, as if it’s 11-on-11, and we’ll throw to spots. And after that we’ll go upstairs, go over every throw and run through issues like (pass) protections.”

Moore looked ready from the minute Tannehill limped to the sideline with just more than five minutes elapsed Sunday. Eight of his 11 completions accounted for first downs, and his two longest connections — 37 yards to Marlon Moore and 30 to Jabar Gaffney — both came on third down.

“The guy’s a professional,” Philbin said. “He’s respected by the staff and the players in the locker room. I’m not surprised he played well.”

Moore’s 96.5 passer rating would have ranked sixth among his 13 performances last season. Sherman said the game plan was no different for Moore than it would have been for Tannehill. “I feel very comfortable calling plays with Matt that I would call with Ryan,” he said. “Matt made good decisions. He moved the offense. His deep ball is one of his great assets — he throws that as good as anybody, and that was displayed as well.”

For the rest of the article: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... n-r/nSrJL/

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

he's a great reliever. Frank Reich-esque!

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Moore was aweful in the preseason. I still think he's a backup for the rest of his career as well. I said a team looking for a stop gap, not a long term starter. It doesn't take much to boost your stock and teams often do things out of desperation. Bad teams make bad decisions all the time. If someone is desperate enough, Moore is an option. That's all I'm saying.
I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, he filled in nicely. But I'm not changing my opinion of the guy because of three quarters of football. This is Tannehill's team, he is still the best quarterback on our roster. It will never be Moore's team and I still think he's gone after the season.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Moore was aweful in the preseason. I still think he's a backup for the rest of his career as well. I said a team looking for a stop gap, not a long term starter. It doesn't take much to boost your stock and teams often do things out of desperation. Bad teams make bad decisions all the time. If someone is desperate enough, Moore is an option. That's all I'm saying.

And all you're saying literally makes no sense. 27 preseason snaps makes you a bad QB, but 3 quarters in a regular season game and suddenly you're fetching high value from mysterious desperate teams. In what alternate dimension football league does this transaction happen?

Quote:
This is Tannehill's team, he is still the best quarterback on our roster. It will never be Moore's team and I still think he's gone after the season.

When did this conversation become about who's team it is? LMFAO.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Regarding the trade talk, you'd need a contender who's QB went down with injury or a team so desperate to get a 2 year stop gap that they'd make him accept a one year extension/tryout while they evaluate rookies. Long story short, I don't think its happening. I thought the AFC West would be weak enough that KC might try but they are too far out of it.

I'd love to see Moore embrace a career, highly paid backup role with Miami but he's probably going to get a shot to compete somewhere. Whether he capitalizes, who knows. Keep an eye on Jacksonville. They need a gamer and unless Gabbert does wonders Mularkey will need a guy to come in and step up.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If we don't get a 2nd rounder for Matt it means Ireland messed up.

ok ok just kidding

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Funniest thing I've read was ESPN's James Walker pretending he had nothing to do with Moore trade talk. He says forget all of the speculation we've read about when I believe he was the first one to even bring up dealing Moore to KC (as a convenience for both teams). How do some of these guys have jobs? Do they spew so much nonsense that they forget what they actually said.

It would be like me starting a rumor that Miami is dealing Jake Long, letting it build in the media, and once Long shows he's his old self tell my readers to ignore all of those trade rumors the media is circulating.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FYI, I might let Tannehill sit out and not risk it this week. Based on Moore's history, this is exactly the type of team he beats up on early. I realize he doesn't have Marshall this time but he seemed fine against a better Jets defense.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

And all you're saying literally makes no sense. 27 preseason snaps makes you a bad QB, but 3 quarters in a regular season game and suddenly you're fetching high value from mysterious desperate teams. In what alternate dimension football league does this transaction happen?

Quote:
This is Tannehill's team, he is still the best quarterback on our roster. It will never be Moore's team and I still think he's gone after the season.

When did this conversation become about who's team it is? LMFAO.

I never said he was a bad quarterback. I said he played like crap in the preseason. That was my point. Moore was lousy in the preseason, and he played fairly well the other day. As far as me pointing out who's team this is. I felt the need to keep your Matt Moore crush in check and revisit reality. I'm glad you find those facts amusing.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Wkloiber13 single handedly killed Moore's value? Wow, he must be well regarded in the world of the NFL.

I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.
:grin:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Well if you like Miami and you have predicted this guy is gone next year why not swing for the fences?

Since it is easy maybe if Ireland would work a little harder we could get a 2nd and something else or if he worked really hard maybe a 1st?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I never said he was a bad quarterback. I said he played like crap in the preseason. That was my point. Moore was lousy in the preseason, and he played fairly well the other day.

Ya, ya, ya we all get how inconsistent you are with judging players based on meaningless preseason games. For certain players it dooms them, for others it's a "be patient" thing. Always hilariously convenient.

Quote:
As far as me pointing out who's team this is. I felt the need to keep your Matt Moore crush in check and revisit reality. I'm glad you find those facts amusing.

Nah, let's call a spade a spade here .... this thread upsets the hell out of you. You would've preferred Moore fall completely on his face vs. the Jets just so you could spend 13 threads telling us all why you were right about Moore. I've been on board with Tannehill and recognize the potential for weeks now, even said as much back in the AZ game. I'm perfectly content with it because I support the team not just an individual player.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Well if you like Miami and you have predicted this guy is gone next year why not swing for the fences?

Since it is easy maybe if Ireland would work a little harder we could get a 2nd and something else or if he worked really hard maybe a 1st?

So we're going from 2nd rounders to 1st rounders now?

LOL .... and people call me a Matt Moore pumper.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

So we're going from 2nd rounders to 1st rounders now?

LOL .... and people call me a Matt Moore pumper.

Well I was just working off of the idea that it is easily seen that a 2nd rounder could be had for Matt. Since that is easily seen I just was just speculating what could happen with a bit of effort. : )

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I never said he was a bad quarterback. I said he played like crap in the preseason. That was my point. Moore was lousy in the preseason, and he played fairly well the other day.

Ya, ya, ya we all get how inconsistent you are with judging players based on meaningless preseason games. For certain players it dooms them, for others it's a "be patient" thing. Always hilariously convenient.

Quote:
As far as me pointing out who's team this is. I felt the need to keep your Matt Moore crush in check and revisit reality. I'm glad you find those facts amusing.

Nah, let's call a spade a spade here .... this thread upsets the hell out of you. You would've preferred Moore fall completely on his face vs. the Jets just so you could spend 13 threads telling us all why you were right about Moore. I've been on board with Tannehill and recognize the potential for weeks now, even said as much back in the AZ game. I'm perfectly content with it because I support the team not just an individual player.

I've been very consistent when it comes to Matt Moore. I've never waivered on my opinion of him. I think he's a solid backup quarterback, but not a true starter. It only takes 13 threads to get that across because you fail to listen. Contrary to what you think I was very happy with the way Matt Moore played, because we stomped out the Jets. I absolutely hate the Jets.

I too support the team, but I understand that 9 times out of 10 it's always better to have your starter playing than your backup. I feel that is the case with Tannehill and Moore. I think the offense runs better with Tannehill. That is why I'm hopefuly he'll return for the Indy game because I think that will be a tough contest. They won't roll over like the Jets did. Completing 50% of your passes for 130 yards isn't going to cut it in Indy.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Completing 50% of your passes for 130 yards isn't going to cut it in Indy.

57% ....and with a 96 QB rating, no turnovers, not to mention could've easily had 2 other TD's if Gaffney doesn't drop a perfect pass or Fasano is able to get both feet in bounds before the Daniel Thomas touchdown.

All of this for a guy who gets not even 10% of the snaps during the week to prep vs. the team they're facing. Sherman had nothing but praise for the guy and his performance because of the circumstances. What's even more impressive is that Sherman flat out said the gameplan didn't change at all when Matt came in.

Quote:
“I can’t say enough about the job he did,” Sherman said. “I don’t think people truly understand — you lose your starting quarterback, who not just last week but this season has gotten 95 percent of the (practice) snaps. There are few teams that would have someone like Matt go in and perform at such a high level in such an early part of the game.”

Moore’s 96.5 passer rating would have ranked sixth among his 13 performances last season. Sherman said the game plan was no different for Moore than it would have been for Tannehill. “I feel very comfortable calling plays with Matt that I would call with Ryan,” he said. “Matt made good decisions. He moved the offense. His deep ball is one of his great assets — he throws that as good as anybody, and that was displayed as well.”
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... n-r/nSrJL/

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Completing 50% of your passes for 130 yards isn't going to cut it in Indy.

57% ....and with a 96 QB rating, no turnovers, not to mention could've easily had 2 other TD's if Gaffney doesn't drop a perfect pass or Fasano is able to get both feet in bounds before the Daniel Thomas touchdown.

All of this for a guy who gets not even 10% of the snaps during the week to prep vs. the team they're facing. Sherman had nothing but praise for the guy and his performance because of the circumstances. What's even more impressive is that Sherman flat out said the gameplan didn't change at all when Matt came in.

Quote:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... n-r/nSrJL/

This is going nowhere, your arguement is breaking down and you're getting into semantics. You say 57%, I say 50%. When you only throw the ball 19 times all game long the difference between 50% and 57% is about one or two completions is all.

You've resorted to using clips quoting coach speak from Sherman as well. I can see this is bothering you, I'll drop it. I give up. Matt Moore is super sweet and I think he's going to be a super duper starter someday. Too bad we handed the reigns to that undeserving rookie and didn't give Moore the chance he deserved.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
This is going nowhere, your arguement is breaking down and you're getting into semantics. You say 57%, I say 50%. When you only throw the ball 19 times all game long the difference between 50% and 57% is about one or two completions is all.

You've resorted to using clips quoting coach speak from Sherman as well. I can see this is bothering you, I'll drop it. I give up. Matt Moore is super sweet and I think he's going to be a super duper starter someday. Too bad we handed the reigns to that undeserving rookie and didn't give Moore the chance he deserved.

My argument is breaking down? Or did you mean your selective use of numbers again instead of painting the entire picture and circumstance? All this coming from the man who who bagged on Moore all during the offseason and flip flops into saying teams will give up a 2nd round draft pick for him after 3 quarters of play.

Btw, why would I not use quotes from Mike Sherman about the performance? Do his comments not apply now since they're about Matt Moore?

Your sarcasm is petty and there was nothing constructive for you to add. That's why you're dropping it.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SQUIRREL

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

GIRAFFE

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:06 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

My argument is breaking down? Or did you mean your selective use of numbers again instead of painting the entire picture and circumstance? All this coming from the man who who bagged on Moore all during the offseason and flip flops into saying teams will give up a 2nd round draft pick for him after 3 quarters of play.

Btw, why would I not use quotes from Mike Sherman about the performance? Do his comments not apply now since they're about Matt Moore?

Your sarcasm is petty and there was nothing constructive for you to add. That's why you're dropping it.

So now I'm the one that is sarcastic, petty, and providing nothing to the conversation. Isn't that not the pot calling the kettle black Rock? Let's not leave out the hundreds of posts you've made that contribute next to nothing. You like to poke the bear as much as anyone here.

As far as my flip floping, I've only changed my opinion on Moore's trade stock. I've never changed my opinion of the guy. I still think the same of him as the day he walked into Miami. When it comes to his stock changing, I don't think I'm being unrealisitic when I say his stock has risen because of last week's performance. Just look a what a little playing time did for guys like Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn (people I consider on Moore's level). The point I was making was that GMs can be irrational at times and reach for quarterbacks because of the position they play. Moore's value can fly all over the place depending on who needs a quarterback and how badly. Call it flip flopping, call it what you want, my opinion of his trade value is the only thing I've changed over the past two years.

You want something constructive, here you go. I put a 5th round value on Matt Moore. He's a good backup, but that's all he'll ever be in my estimation. A 2nd round pick is simply wishful thinking, because at the end of the day he's really not worth it. I was just hoping someone desperate would come along and take him off our hands so that we get some value out of him.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
So now I'm the one that is sarcastic, petty, and providing nothing to the conversation. Isn't that not the pot calling the kettle black Rock? Let's not leave out the hundreds of posts you've made that contribute next to nothing. You like to poke the bear as much as anyone here.

Actually no.

I was discussing the Moore situation in a civil manner using statistics and quotes and then you mocked them with nothing but potshots (always happens when somebody can't support their own argument with FACTS) and the tantrum-esque "Well this is Tanny's team!!!" even though I said nothing to the contrary. You can attempt to draw on our past arguments all you want, but I've been more than consistent these last 2-3 months about keeping with the disagree agreeably stance.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next