View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Dolphins 30, Jets 9 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dolphins 30, Jets 9 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Good

Special teams are at the top of the list. And special teams actually make up their own list:

- An onside kick recovered by Jason Trusnik, gutsy call by Philbin early in the game
- A punt blocked by Jimmy Wilson and recovered by Olivier Vernon for a touchdown
- A field goal attempt blocked by Olivier Vernon
- A 57 yard kick-off return by Marcus Thigpen that led to a touchdown drive
- Dan Carpenter 3 for 3 on field goals
- Brandon Fields with a 53.5 yard punt average and 4 punts inside the 20

Matt Moore coming off the bench and going 11 of 19 for 131 yards and a TD (96.6 rating). Moore showed the same poise and leadership he displayed last year when winning the team MVP.

Chris Clemons had a monster game on defense, with 9 tackles and an interception in the red zone that prevented the Jets from scoring.

Kevin Burnett also had a nice game with 6 tackles, 1 sack and a pass defensed.

Defense overall with 4 sacks, two turnovers and holding the Jets scoreless in the first half and to only 9 points the entire game. Kevin Coyle found ways to create pressure using corner blitzes and everything else he could throw at Mark Sanchez. Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson both had sacks, Wilson forcing a fumble on his that was recovered by Paul Soliai.

The Bad

Ryan Tannehill getting hurt on a play which Jonathan Martin didn't pay attention to Calvin Pace coming off the edge. That was a missed assignment that caused your quarterback of the future to get hit and injured.

Reggie Bush was somewhat effective running the ball, but he still doesn't look like the same player we saw the first couple of weeks. He also fumbled once.

Not much else you can put in this category when you beat a division rival 30-9.

The Ugly

The Jets season. They are in a tailspin. For all their bravado, tough talk and trash talking, they are 3-5, have a quarterback controversy brewing and probably continue to have a splintering lockerroom.

Nothing ugly about the Dolphins today.

Overall

The Dolphins are 4-3 and in 2nd place in the AFC East. They have a favorable schedule the rest of the season and have competed in every game they've been except the Houston game.

Things are looking up for Joe Philbin and the Dolphins. By creating a certain mindset in the locker room and now winning a few games, Philbin has this team in a certain state of mind where they are confident in the coaches, confident in their teammates and confident in themselves.

What a turnaround from the way 2011 started!

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:29 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Dolphins 30, Jets 9 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Good...Jimmy Wilson...2 PDs, a sack and a fumble...not bad for a guy stepping up.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nice write up Rich.

I thought D. Thomas also looked good on his runs today. Good to see his recovery from the concussion.

As a side note thanks for mentioning Fields. He is have a great year imo and it could be easy to overlook his play.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I have decided.

I like winning.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:20 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Great win guys. I have nothing but positive things to say about this game. I can't believe we got a special teams turnover and a TD from it. Did I really watch a Miami Dolphins game? Amazing. And it was against out most hated team. Too bad we could not shut them out. But a solid game considering we lost our Starting QB early in the game.

They are starting to look like a team that wants to be there and wants to win. The very thing I was complaining about for so long. Now they finally are finishing plays and thus finishing games. Hell Yeah. This is what I'm talking about! :runwiththeball:

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Unbelievable win. Real inspiring and special teams had the best game I'd ever seen a ST unit have in football.

Team looks on the up-and-up. We were 0-7 at this point last season.

That being said...hope Tanny is ok. Johnathon Martin scares me considering he has a direct impact on whether or not Tannehill is safe. He looks to be fine, but who knows if it could have a recurring effect.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Great win against a division opponent. The thing I like the most is that we didn't play down to their level. We were clearly the better team going into this game, and we played like it.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

bye week, Mr Philbin had time to study the jets, the result was a full outchoaching in every phase of the game

that's the best part of it

:pumpiron:

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:41 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Awesome job as usual, Rich!

Rich wrote:
An onside kick recovered by Jason Trusnik, gutsy call by Philbin early in the game

Very gutsy, indeed. If it didn't work the Jets would be in good field position. I love the aggressive approach that this team is taking in all 3 areas (offense, defense, and ST) of the team.

One of the Dolphins best moves was to fire Keith Armstrong and to hire Darren Rizzi. This was actually a Tony Sparano move. Then Philben added Dave Fipp as an assistant ST Coach from the 49ers. Very rarely does anyone give Westhoff a beat-down. They showed Westhoff with his head in his hands on the bench.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:20 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Misi Burnett and Dansby Trusnik where oustanding....Reggie seemed like he started out running hard(30 yds in the 1st drive) and was very aggressive.. But slowed down as the game went on..

Thomas even came in a little more than usual. Maybe he tweeked something?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i Wanna start seeing Lamar Miller get 12 carries a game. Bush is reverting back to his old ways. too much dancing in the backfield and running backwards every other carry.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:43 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think the seat under Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is getting hotter than the one under Jeff Ireland at this point.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 pm

swerve13 wrote:
i Wanna start seeing Lamar Miller get 12 carries a game. Bush is reverting back to his old ways. too much dancing in the backfield and running backwards every other carry.

I think you're right. Again on at least 2 occasions he could've taken small yards instead of a loss. I think he's thinking too much instead of just running with instinct. I believe its why you saw Daniel Thomas spell him for a long period of time. If 2-3 yds is all that's there...then that's what he needs to get.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bush is playing hurt. I think he needs to sit if he is not healthy.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Coming off a bye, going on the road to a division rival, who was in a must win situation and STOMPING them!!

Phinbin made a statement!!

The Good: Philbin has already proven to be the best coach the Dolphins have had this century!!

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I gotta have more COWBELL baby!!!!!!!!!!

I mean Lamar Miller baby!

:grin:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]