View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
 Rams 14, Dolphins 17 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Rams 14, Dolphins 17 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Good

Ryan Tannehill - 21 completions on 29 pass attempts, 185 yards, 2 touchdowns and a QB rating of 112. This is the clean, efficient game you want your rookie quarterback to play.

Olivier Vernon - 2 sacks in his coming out party. One of those sacks was after he got his ankle rolled up on. Good to see Vernon finally making big plays.

Cameron Wake - Wake is on a tear the past few games, adding another sack to his total.

The Bad

The Dolphins defense gave up 462 yards, including 162 yards on the ground after giving up about 61 yards per game on the ground through the first five games. Early on, the Dolphins defensive front was getting pushed around by the Rams offensive line and throughout the game the defensive backs couldn't seem to cover a mediocre group of receivers. The Dolphins allowed 6 yards per carry.

Brian Hartline was held without a catch. I'm sure he won't be leading the league in receiving yards after today.

The Dolphins running game has left the building. Reggie Bush had 17 rushing yards on 12 carries and the Dolphins had 19 total rushing yards against a team that had been allowing 117 yards per game on the ground. Lamar Miller barely got in the game, which is curious considering Reggie Bush is obviously not himself right now with a knee and hip injury. The bye week couldn't come soon enough to remedy the problems with a ground game that was explosive just weeks ago, but can't get the job done now.

Blame also goes to the offensive line, who isn't opening the same holes it was early in the season and at times is not protecting Tannehill as well as is needed.

Sean Smith - After having good games against Larry Fitzgerald and A.J. Green, Sean Smith seemed to have a more difficult time with the Rams pedestrian receivers. Maybe it is a case of taking lesser players for granted, but he definitely did not have the same caliber game against the Rams as he did against the Cardinals and Bengals.

The Ugly

This win was as ugly as it gets. Winning 17-14 despite being outgained by 270 yards and getting 10 less first downs, 20 less plays and almost 7 minutes less in time of possession is the definition of winning ugly.

Overall

The Dolphins are now 3-3 and are winning the close games they were losing early in the year. This is the identity of the team, play tough, stay in the game, keep in close. This will probably the way it is all year.

The bye week is next and it couldn't come at a better time. It will give Reggie Bush the time to heal and hopefully get his burst back. After that, an opportunity to get revenge on the Jets.

Oh yeah, don't look now... but the Dolphins are tied for first in the AFC East....

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Rams 14, Dolphins 17 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Nice to have a QB that doesn't throw a pick a game.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It was definitely nice to see Miami pull out a game that they seemingly had no business winning.

After two overtime games and heart breaking losses, this was needed and great stuff that Miami is tied for first in the Division after 6 games. I'll take it!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Great write up Rich. Miami has found a way to win the close games. Marlon Moore finally contributed to the offense. I am also wondering why Lamar Miller isn't getting more playing time. Tannehill had another solid game.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

He is avg more than one a game though. Just sayin.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Amen, brother.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Six games, six picks.

Your math is off.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

We are watching a rookie QB evolve into a legitimate NFL caliber QB. He is learning from his mistakes and improving every game. Tannehill has thrown 1 pick in the last 3 games and 0 picks in the last 2 games.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think the focus is the encouraging progression that Tannehill continues to make. Each game he seems to make better and better decisions.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Do you love to argue? I said 1 a game, not his td/INT ratio which is even? I don;t know but it's close, just like our record. most came in the 1st game. he is improving. Last 2 games, 0 picks and we win.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think Philbin's gutsy discount double check fake punt call deserves a mention in the good section.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am dumbfounded as to the continued poor play of Jake Long. A couple of penalties today, he's missing blocks (almost got Tannehill decapitated on one today) and the running game has no rhythm.

I understand its a new system, but you have to wonder if he is just not the same physically anymore. He was sitting quite deep in his pass sets today and has been struggling to protect unlike anytime in the last few years. He's playing in a contract year, you think he'd be putting up a great campaign. Instead, he's been average at best.

If he continues to struggle after the bye, it might be time to simply let him walk after the season and move Martin to his natural position on the left side.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

MNDolfan wrote:
I am dumbfounded as to the continued poor play of Jake Long. A couple of penalties today, he's missing blocks (almost got Tannehill decapitated on one today) and the running game has no rhythm.

I understand its a new system, but you have to wonder if he is just not the same physically anymore. He was sitting quite deep in his pass sets today and has been struggling to protect unlike anytime in the last few years. He's playing in a contract year, you think he'd be putting up a great campaign. Instead, he's been average at best.

If he continues to struggle after the bye, it might be time to simply let him walk after the season and move Martin to his natural position on the left side.

Yes, and isn't this the Dolphin curse that seems to be lingering year after year? That not only are we low on talent, but when we think we find talent and promises like Jake Long, we never get to see any real gains from it? I just don't get this. Now that we have a decent QB (I think), now Jake Long is sucking. This is the most frustrating team.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Six games, six picks.

Your math is off.

But three of those picks came in his debut. Week by week he is getting better.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:49 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I'd second the gutsy call late in the 4th, deep in his own territory....if it failed...game over. This was the kind of leadership lacking for many years. It was incredibly significant...pretty much ran another minute 30 off the clock

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Six games, six picks.

Your math is off.

Was just going off what they showed or what I recalled them showing today that he had 7 & figured I had missed one somewhere. I don't live in my parents basement & cannot quote stats off the top of my head.. So he is Avg. 1 a game.

:yourock:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
I'd second the gutsy call late in the 4th, deep in his own territory....if it failed...game over. This was the kind of leadership lacking for many years. It was incredibly significant...pretty much ran another minute 30 off the clock

Fake punt?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

PHILBIN > fisher

I'm so glad we didn't get him and his crap mustache!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Do you love to argue? I said 1 a game, not his td/INT ratio which is even? I don;t know but it's close, just like our record. most came in the 1st game. he is improving. Last 2 games, 0 picks and we win.

I'm not someone else here, so no. I was just having a little fun. Which is why I finished with "Just sayin"

Last edited by Dphins4me on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 pm

rodneyfaile wrote:
PHILBIN > fisher

He's a decent coach but I'm glad we have Philbin. So far, so good. :pumpiron:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a big win for this team. Now we can go into the bye week on a two game winning streak. Players will be able to heal, coaches can install new parts of the playbook, and we can begin preparations for our next game against the Jets.

It's becoming more and more clear that we have a shot to contend for the division this season. The Patriots are struggling in a big way. That leaves the door open for someone like us to sneak past them and win the division. Will it be easy, no. But it is possible. If we can come out of our bye week and string together a couple of wins, then I think we might just have what it takes to make the playoffs this year.

My heart was telling me we'd go 8-8 this season, but now I see that 9-7 or 10-6 isn't out of the question. We're 3-3 right now but we could very easily be 5-1.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
It was definitely nice to see Miami pull out a game that they seemingly had no business winning.

You're indeed joking, right? I don't know if you're referring to the 400 yards against our 200, but this team was favored as the better team all around before hand.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

we need to get Gaffney and Lamar Miler up to speed and on the field after the bye week because this offense is not creating enough yards and big plays.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm not someone else here, so no. I was just having a little fun. Which is why I finished with "Just sayin

No worries.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rodneyfaile wrote:
PHILBIN > fisher

LOL, anyone that looks like Wannstache isn't welcome in aqua if you ask me.

Fisher is a good coach, but he wants too much say-so with the personnel and that is something that he does not do that well at and the reason he chose the Rams.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Very nice write-up, Rich.

Rich wrote:
Olivier Vernon - 2 sacks in his coming out party. One of those sacks was after he got his ankle rolled up on. Good to see Vernon finally making big plays.

Cameron Wake - Wake is on a tear the past few games, adding another sack to his total.

What Cam Wake has really needed is a complimentary pass rusher on the other side. Perhaps we have it with Vernon. The Dolphins supposedly got a steal with Vernon as a lot of scouts were saying that he would have been a 1st round pick in this upcoming draft if he'd stayed in schoool another year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:10 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:

You're indeed joking, right? I don't know if you're referring to the 400 yards against our 200, but this team was favored as the better team all around before hand.

AFCMiamiEast: I was referring to the game itself, if you watched it, Miami was fortunate to come away with the win as they did not play their best game. Just the opposite in the Overtime games where I thought Miami was the better team and outplayed their opponent (except in the score of course). This past Sunday the Rams on a whole, outplayed the Dolphins and I think most would agree. It is nice to win games like these though especially after the heartbreaking losses.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
The Dolphins supposedly got a steal with Vernon as a lot of scouts were saying that he would have been a 1st round pick in this upcoming draft if he'd stayed in schoool another year.

The day before the draft there are 100 guys who "are" first round guys. I don't put a lot
Of stock in that. But I do think with just a little seasoning, he could be really good

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]