View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 CJ Spiller could be climbing the ladder/Profootballtalk.com 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post CJ Spiller could be climbing the ladder/Profootballtalk.com
I ran accross this from Profootballtalk.com this mornig.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 7:31 AM ET
There's a sense in some league circles that only a truly special running back is worthy of a top-ten draft pick.

If so, it means that some regard Clemson's C.J. Spiller as a truly special running back.

We're hearing talk of teams possibly trying to invade the lower reaches of the top 10 in order to get a crack at Spiller, with rumors currently focusing on the Dolphins and the Giants.

The Dolphins currently hold the No. 12 pick; the Giants are at 15.

Since 2006, only three running backs have been chosen among the first 10 selections: Darren McFadden, No. 4 in 2008, Adrian Peterson, No. 7 in 2007, and Reggie Bush, No. 2 in 2006. In 2005, three running back were taken in the top five.

That year, the Dolphins drafted Ronnie Brown with the second overall pick. If the rumors are true, they could be looking to supplant Brown with Spiller.

I would not say supplant Ronnie, just add him to the mix.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: CJ Spiller could be climbing the ladder/Profootballtalk.com
Lol. Ya right.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins, I guess you were saying the same thing when Miami picked Pat White last year. I don't think CJ will be the pick, but is certainly would not stun me.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, I guess you were saying the same thing when Miami picked Pat White last year. I don't think CJ will be the pick, but is certainly would not stun me.

I don't know if I would be completely stunned with the way i was with White last year, if Spiller was the pick.

But the article is suggesting that we would be willing to trade up for him. That's where my "ya right" comes in. Miami isn't trading up for anybody, especially not a RB.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I don't know if I would be completely stunned with the way i was with White last year, if Spiller was the pick.

But the article is suggesting that we would be willing to trade up for him. That's where my "ya right" comes in. Miami isn't trading up for anybody, especially not a RB.

Yeah, if he's there, I say take him, but don't panic and go up to get him. You can get plenty of good talent at 12, and even later if you trade down.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I agree with not trading up to get anyone in a deep class. I like Dexter McCluster almost as much as Spiller and Joe McKnight is a nice RB also.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Lol. Ya right.

why not? :stiffarm:

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 am
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Well, I think Spiller will be sensational at the NFL level and would love to snag him, but I just think that with Brown, Williams, Cobbs and Hilliard all going to be competing then we are looking ok at RB. Not so on the defensive side of the ball right now.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

pawfectgent wrote:
Well, I think Spiller will be sensational at the NFL level and would love to snag him, but I just think that with Brown, Williams, Cobbs and Hilliard all going to be competing then we are looking ok at RB. Not so on the defensive side of the ball right now.

I agree that the defense is a pressing need. They've addressed getting a new coordinator and ILB. I agree that the backfield is good, but is it great? Spiller comes in and adds an immediate spark to an offense that more or less lacks explosiveness.

Williams won't play forever, Brown's DUI is a question mark, Cobbs coming off an ACL tear. There are question marks, so it's not like they are set at the RB position, but even then I say we're not drafting a running back...we'd be drafting a player, and that players name is CJ Spiller.
To me, you can get the same quality OLB in the 2nd round as you can at number 12. Maybe not so for safety, but Earl Thomas just doesn't feel right to me. I know you're a fan of him, and I have nothing really bad to say about him, but compared to what Spiller could bring I'd think Spiller is the best pick for your buck.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Since 2006, only three running backs have been chosen among the first 10 selections: Darren McFadden, No. 4 in 2008, Adrian Peterson, No. 7 in 2007, and Reggie Bush, No. 2 in 2006.

Are part-time backs really worth top 5 draft status? To me, only Adrian Peterson is the real deal in this group. If someone wants to move up to our pick to draft Spiller they are welcome to it on draft day if he "falls" for a package of picks.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Unless he can split time at receiver, I really don't see how drafting him will help fill NEEDS on our team.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Dan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Lol. Ya right.

why not? :stiffarm:

He's saying yeah right to trading up for him, not for taking him.

I think a lot of us here would be happy with Spiller at 12.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Since 2006, only three running backs have been chosen among the first 10 selections: Darren McFadden, No. 4 in 2008, Adrian Peterson, No. 7 in 2007, and Reggie Bush, No. 2 in 2006.

Are part-time backs really worth top 5 draft status?

You mean top 10? Even so, CJ Spiller, if taken by Miami, would be taken at 12.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There are a number of quality players at the #12 position for Miami to choose from, and it would not be a reach to say that Spiller was on their list. The Dolphins do have glaring needs at safety and nose tackle, with OLB right behind. Still, we can address starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well for any of those positions if we choose correctly. So, we aren't pigeon-holed into any specific position in the first round. With rumors of the Dolphins wanting to trade Ronnie once again, it would not surprise me for the Dolphins to look to Spiller/Ricky/Cobbs for the next few years in a rotation.

In the past, Parcells seems to like to find backs and nose tackles later in the draft, but each year is different for him. He does have a fetish for linebackers in the first round.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]