View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Dolphins LT Jake Long struggling so far 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins LT Jake Long struggling so far
Quote:
Dolphins LT Jake Long struggling so far

Jake Long is Pro Football Focus' 43rd-ranked tackle through four weeks.

Long is struggling as the Dolphins move away from a power scheme and into Joe Philbin's West Coast offense. Perhaps the accumulation of knee, back, shoulder and bicep injuries has gotten to him. It's certainly bad timing for a down year as Long's rookie contract is up at the end of the season. There's no way he'll get the $92 million over eight years Joe Thomas got from the Browns at this rate.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49286022/ ... ayer_news/

Quote:
The Miami backs averaged five yards per carry running to the right of center, but less than one yard per carry on runs to the left side.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ls-week-4/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Dolphins LT Jake Long struggling so far
I was just thinking about this today. I hadn't imagined the change would be so hard on him. He's an intelligent player & I thought maybe a game or two with mistakes or a holding call. But hes been owned a few times already. I hope that he can get back to being the pro bowl player soon & that he doesn't become expendable

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Like Phins Rock and I've been saying for year, we should have drafted Matt Ryan.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

You know, we like Incognito as well, but he is struggling as well on the left side. Long and Incognito need to figure things out or we will be looking for another LT. I hate this as Long has been my favorite Dolphin, but only another team will want to overpay for him.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Like Phins Rock and I've been saying for year, we should have drafted Matt Ryan.

Until this year, Jake Long has been the better player. Matt Ryan has only been above average, but a good starter. I think looking back at the last 4 years, it was a mistake to not address the QB position first with Matt Ryan. We could have drafted a serviceable LT later in the draft.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jake Long has made his money in Miami, as far as I'm concerned we should offer him a fair contract, lock him down for the rest of his career, and be done with it. But the team should have the option to walk away if Long can't stay healthy. Long is still an elite offensive lineman, he's just learning a new scheme. He'll pick it up and be back to dominating before we know it. The big question with Long is can he stay healthy?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:39 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Big Dave wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Until this year, Jake Long has been the better player. Matt Ryan has only been above average, but a good starter. I think looking back at the last 4 years, it was a mistake to not address the QB position first with Matt Ryan. We could have drafted a serviceable LT later in the draft.

While I agree, I'd still rather have an above average QB and a mediocre LT than the other way around.

Matt's taken his game to another level this year. He's becoming elite, IMO.

Not that it matters at this point (hopefully) with Tannehill now here.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There is no way around the Ryan vs Long debate. We had the first overall pick, with that comes the expectation that you add a player that is going to make your team a contender. That player should by all accounts become a big time impact player for your franchise for his entire career.

The only problem was our staff wasn't fond of Matt Ryan for whatever reason. They saw him as a good talent, but not an elite talent like they did Jake Long. They chose what they saw at the time to be an All-Pro left tackle over what they saw to be a good but not great quaterback.

Also, because of what they thought of Henne, they chose to pull the trigger on Long instead of Ryan. They saw Long as the can't miss and Henne to be a solid starting quarterback that needed only a season or two to develop. Well Henne busted and Long has had injury issues. Long was exactly the player they drafted him to be when he was healthy, he was and still is in my opinion an All Pro left tackle, one of the best in the game.

But at the end of the day they were dead wrong about Matt Ryan. He was much better than they thought and that is why we got the raw end of that deal. Atlanta will be a contender for a very long time because they pulled the trigger on Ryan and built an offense around him. We on the other hand took a left tackle and tried to build an offense around Henne.

The bright spot is that this season we have a much more promising quarterback prospect. If we can build a team around him then we should eventually become contenders as well.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have been saying for awhile now that it is time to move Long and his contract.

Sucks to have to fill a hole again, but we have some extra picks next year. It means we probably won't get a top pass rusher or corner. We have to draft a top WR.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:12 pm

I think Long is still hobbled by injuries , its hard to believe you can go from being so dominant to what he has become.
Incognito was never in the same class as Long , now with the real refs back he will be getting away with even less.
The Long / Ryan debate. Yeah it would be nice to have a QB like Ryan who is gonna peak now & be one of the best for the next 5 years or so but its time to get over it. We seem to think we have our hall of famer at QB now although while still early in the season it was pretty clear that Ryan had the goods while I like what I see from Tannehill I need to see more (I can say that cant I??)
If you really want to get crazed you can say we should have taken Alex Smith over Ronnie Brown ... still cannot believe Smith has become the QB he is today.
Back to topic ... I hope we can keep Long as long as he is not a liability.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

we should have taken Alex Smith over Ronnie Brown

Or Aaron Rodgers. lol

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Makchell wrote:

Or Aaron Rodgers. lol

Rodgers would have been nice @ #2 overall, but Alex Smith was already off board when we took Ronnie.....hard to draft a player over another when he has already been drafted by another team.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:44 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Makchell wrote:

Or Aaron Rodgers. lol

I love watching Rodgers play, but it helped Aaron a ton to get to learn from Favre. I don't think he would be half the QB he is today if he didn't have that time to learn from one of the best QB's.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I think we should wait it out a bit, see where he is towards the end of the season, see what he wants, and evaluate who is going to be available.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]