View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Miami Dolphins find themselves thin at cornerback 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami Dolphins find themselves thin at cornerback
wkloiber13 wrote:

As far as Ireland's record of drafting DBs, anytime you keep every single player you draft over a five year period and they are all playing, that means you're doing a good job. They can't all be stars or even starters, but the fact that none of them are busts is very good. Especially when you consider half of them are 5th and 7th round picks.

And if your team is not very good & you are keeping them, what does that say?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Miller and Vernon are contributing as well. I think Rock that if you give Ireland time you'll see that he's very capable of building a championship roster in Miami. He's hands down the best evaluator of talent we've had since the Jimmy Johnson years.

But see I wonder where these kinds of statements come from. Vernon isn't really contributing anything. In fact he had his snaps reduced into the Oakland game. They decided to leave Misi out there because he's excellent against the run, even though he too provides absolutely no pass rush and is suspect against the pass. Vernon is extremely raw right now. This is just me, but I don't consider getting an occasional snap or two as "contributing".

Ireland has been a real mixed bag in two seasons. I've heard mention on WQAM many times that he's a better scout than a GM. There is some truth to that. When you wiff on 90% of your FA signings, have 3rd rounders like Egnew not even seeing the field, and ignoring the teams most dire position (WR) I dunno that I can sit there and say with a straight face he's doing that swell of a job. Btw, Jimmy Johnson was a great talent evaluator in Dallas. In Miami? Not a chance. Drafting John Avery over Randy Moss ..... Cecil Collins .... etc. etc. He lost his mojo when was here in the dual role coach/GM capacity.

since you mentioned Misi, you've gotta credit Ireland there. Misi's having a very nice year.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:23 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
since you mentioned Misi, you've gotta credit Ireland there. Misi's having a very nice year.

We should've gave his job to his backup considering he was out played in the preseason. :ann0y:

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Btw, Jimmy Johnson was a great talent evaluator in Dallas. In Miami? Not a chance. Drafting John Avery over Randy Moss.

This will remain one of those things that will always be stated inaccurate by Miami fans. JJ did not draft John Avery over Randy Moss. There was not any point during the '98 draft that Miami was on the clock with Randy Moss available.

I love the revisionist history. Miami traded out of the spot they could've drafted Moss.
1998 Jimmy Johnson had his eye on a player at 19, but thought there was no way that player would drop that far, so when Green Bay called and asked to trade up, Jimmy said yes so he could add an extra pick or two. Then as pick number 19 came and went, that player was still sitting there. Randy Moss was that player. He would do well selecting Patrick Surtain in round 2, in round 3 however, he would miss again, this time passing on QB Brian Griese or WR Hines Ward in favor of LB Brad Jackson.

Ever heard of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor? Or what about Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain?
All four were All-Pro defensive players. All drafted when Jimmy Johnson was the head coach. Jimmy may not have been the greatest at drafting, but he was better than everyone since.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Ever heard of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor? Or what about Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain?
All four were All-Pro defensive players. All drafted when Jimmy Johnson was the head coach. Jimmy may not have been the greatest at drafting, but he was better than everyone since.

Just look at these drafts .....

Again, Jimmy's ability to draft was largely overrated from his time in Dallas. The best players he drafted were Gardener, Thomas, Taylor, Madison, Surtain .... and possibly Konrad/Mixon. We're talking 44 draftees though. He was absolutely dreadful drafting for offense.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Cornerback exposed again today. Sean Smith still tackles like a girl (sorry ladies I realize that old be an insult). Carroll still can't cover .... I wonder if anyone breaks out the PFT rankings this week

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3