View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Vontae Davis is a Colt! 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Vontae Davis is a Colt!
jammer wrote:
Couldn't agree more. If Miami flips the 2nd for a WR and and that extra 3rd for a nickel corner everyone will be screaming hallelujah.

The move definitely weakens the team at the moment, but I get the feeling something else is in the works.

Miami is always making deals from the weak side of things instead of strength.

What quality 3rd corner will be available for a 3rd?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:02 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Vontae Sux because we traded him, obviously overrated
Quote:
Davis was the best CB we had based upon on field performance in real games. One offseason changed all that? Carroll got burnt by everyone last year and he is all of a sudden better?

Yup...preseason means everything...haven't you been following the QB debate?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
are you kidding? maybe a number 1 wide receiver. What good is Davis right now?? seriously guys, take off the glasses, he's overrated.

Not according to personnel men around the league and Chuck Pagano who used to run a hell of a defense in Baltimore.

Love fan forum logic. Where all players who leave are garbage.

It's scary that you're comforted by Nolan Caroll after what we've seen out of him.

Carroll is a much, much cheaper option as a 3rd corner than Davis. You need to think like a GM, not as an angry fan.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:03 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Dphins4me wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:

In other words this team stunk with VD on it and it stinks with out him. End of story.
At some point a team has to stop trading off talent, just because. Davis could have been a part of the rebuilding.

Now, not only does Miami need a Wr, they now no longer have a 3rd CB, which in today's NFL is a starter.

And that is a valid point. I just feel that if the coach feels the player is not a fit I rather get rid of him now than trying to fit the program to the player or worse wait till we are a contender and VD is a distraction, older and untradeable. Vontae couldn't keep up with tempo of practice...wasn't making the plays when given the opportunity hence now he's gone. I think we made off well considering where we drafted him and his level of play. Now as others like ROCK SEXTON (see what I did there? I added your name) have pointed out those picks are unknowns.... the front office needs to deliver with those picks.

I don't have a magic crystal ball so I'm hoping for the best. Just my .02 does not mean it is right or wrong.

Last edited by killerbeezdee on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Carroll is a much, much cheaper option as a 3rd corner than Davis. You need to think like a GM, not as an angry fan.

You also generally get what you pay for.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

killerbeezdee wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:
This is one of the best thought out response to this thread. Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster.

Has absolutely nothing to do with our arguments, for those of us who are arguing against it. Reading comprehension.

Don't remember calling you out by name...but I guess you felt as though I did. Either that or you just needed to add to your post numbers by replying to a generic statement and acting like an intellectual with your "reading comprehension" dig. Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to act smart behind a keyboard?? That's all I have to say about that. Back on topic....

thats just how he is.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Just as interesting as the trade that sends an athletic CB capable of being one of the better press corners in the league is the hint that Ireland may not wait until next April to address the receiver position. James Jones has been rumored to Miami for a while and the connection makes sense as Green Bay is loaded at the position. New HC Joe Philbin has ties to Jones after serving as the Packers' offensive coordinator for the receiver's entire NFL career before taking the Miami job.

If they trade for that POS I believe heads will explode. Especially if they give up anything more than a 6th Rd. pick.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

You're supposing you're capable of thinking like a GM?

Priceless.

The talent disparity between VD and Carol is the size of the Grand Canyon. VD is cheap considering his rookie contract.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Who is running the team? Ireland or Philben?

Great question, I don't really know anymore. Did we ever? LOL

i would hope that it's a joint effort

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

killerbeezdee wrote:
I don't have a magic crystal ball so I'm hoping for the best. Just my .02 does not mean it is right or wrong.

Hopium.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:09 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

VD had 2 years left on his contract .... the whopping 5 year $10.25 million rookie one.

Thanks. I really didn't know his contract or what was left. I'll wait and see. I get the feeling that guys like Marshall, Chad, and Vontae will not be tolerated on this team. Not saying Vontae did anything, but coming to work out of shape two years in a row and losing his job is unexceptable. Look at the brightside. We got a 2nd and 6th for our nickel back....lol

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

i would hope that it's a joint effort
Since Ireland acquired both players, then it appears its not Ireland.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
We got a 2nd and 6th for our nickel back....lol

He would have been their starter by Wk 3.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Thanks. I really didn't know his contract or what was left. I'll wait and see. I get the feeling that guys like Marshall, Chad, and Vontae will not be tolerated on this team. Not saying Vontae did anything, but coming to work out of shape two years in a row and losing his job is unexceptable. Look at the brightside. We got a 2nd and 6th for our nickel back....lol

I'd rather have a cohesive secondary with 3 quality CB's. That's just me ....

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
I am in agreement with you on the new direction with this coaching staff. Im more interested in the big picture long term, and that started with them getting Tannehill this year, and getting rid of the problem children that were still here. I really think they're gonna kill it next offseason.

You mean that same "long term" and system you felt Davone Bess absolutely would not fit in? Or the one where according to you Philbin is supposedly "intrigued" by Clyde Gates?

do you like being a dolphin fan just so you can come on this site and start crap with everyone. I remeber when you were one of the cooler members here. Boy has that changed.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:12 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He would have been their starter by Wk 3.

Would have could have, but he wasn't. He was #3 on the depth chart for whatever reason.

You know, Vontae was a great player for us. We are deep there. Let's wait a few days and see if they can parlay this into a deal for a quality WR. If that happens, I think everyone will agree it was a good move. Right now, we just don't know.

2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

killerbeezdee wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:
Don't remember calling you out by name...but I guess you felt as though I did. Either that or you just needed to add to your post numbers by replying to a generic statement and acting like an intellectual with your "reading comprehension" dig. Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to act smart behind a keyboard?? That's all I have to say about that. Back on topic....

I'm one of the people against the trade so obviously chief you're addressing me among the people who are somehow talking about winning a championship this year.

Have fun with that argument though. Not a single person here opining for a Super Bowl title in 2012. Our reasons for being against the VD trade are much different (not to mention a little more thought out than that) and that's just your attempt to marginalize them with a disingenuous response .....

Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to make up arguments?

Bro, do you need a hug??? Stop assuming that I was including you in my statement. You are not the only one who responded to the trade negatively....now pay attention because this is where you are getting lost the Generic Vibe or consensus is that the team was a better team with VD on it. The super bowl part of my statement was called SARCASM!

Where I come from (Miami) a turd is a turd is a turd. In other words this team stunk with VD on it and it stinks with out him. End of story.

Rock is just salty because he just bought his new Nike Vontae Davis jersey yesterday

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
You know, Vontae was a great player for us. We are deep there. Let's wait a few days and see if they can parlay this into a deal for a quality WR. If that happens, I think everyone will agree it was a good move. Right now, we just don't know.

Another issue though is that we've known we needed a new WR for how long now? If that scenario were to play out then why are they waiting so long to pull the trigger on a potential trade?

It's stuff like that man, which leaves me with less confidence than I had heading into this season.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

I'm sure the Steelers have been offered a 2nd for Wallace already. Not sure why this one would make them move. Outside that I cannot think of any Wr worth trading for worth giving up that 2nd for.

Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:
VD had 2 years left on his contract .... the whopping 5 year $10.25 million rookie one.

Ben Volin is saying that Vontae had 2 years, 2.09 million left. His cap number was 974K I believe I saw for this season, so it was like 1.1 million next year.

Not going to find a cheaper "nickel corner" out there....Not that Vontae was legitimately our nickel, and he certainly wouldn't last past Houston in that role.

Based on the Atlanta game, Vontae is close to being where he has been the last couple of years, and Marshall looks like garbage. That, on top of no pass rush outside of 91 and the worst group of safeties in the league, and this defense is going to be picked apart consistently this season.

At least we can throw the ball and keep pace!!..........Oh wait.

I honestly can't see us picking outside the top 5 next year. Even with the schedule, we're a 5 win team at absolute best. Cleveland and Arizona are the only 2 teams that I'm somewhat comfortable saying are worse than we are.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You know, Vontae was a great player for us

I'd say "good" player. He has talent and speed but what has he really done? I agree junkie,let's wait and see.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

Miami is deep there? Really? You calling Smith, Marshall, Carroll deep? Miami is extremely weak in the D backfield.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I'm sure the Steelers have been offered a 2nd for Wallace already. Not sure why this one would make them move. Outside that I cannot think of any Wr worth trading for worth giving up that 2nd for.

At this point I'd be willing to offer than two 2nd round picks. Next year is a pretty weak WR class, and Wallace is the best chance at a number one we'll have for (likely) 2 years.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

At this point I'd be willing to offer than two 2nd round picks. Next year is a pretty weak WR class, and Wallace is the best chance at a number one we'll have for (likely) 2 years.

No.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

No.

Lol. Good response.

But seriously, why not? Realistically, (especially given Ireland's history), you're only hitting on one of those 2 picks anyway. Good luck finding a player of Wallace's caliber in the 2nd round...

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
they signed Marshall for a reason. He had an excellent year in Arizona last year. He just doesn't carry the street name that Davis does. Simply Davis is overrated and Marshall is underrated.

You didn't even know who Richard Marshall was before he came to Miami. Of course now he's underrated. LOL

nope, i knew who he was because i'm an informed, knowledgeable football fan.
Just because you never heard of him you dismiss him.
I understand, you just need to have a big name 1st round pick to feel comfortable about who is playing corner. You keep losing credibility.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
nope, i knew who he was because i'm an informed, knowledgeable football fan.
Just because you never heard of him you dismiss him.
I understand, you just need to have a big name 1st round pick to feel comfortable about who is playing corner. You keep losing credibility.

Actually, I live in Arizona and watch Cardinals games all the time. I'm very well familiar with Richard Marshall. I never once mentioned anything about needing a 1st round draft pick manning one of the corner spots. Yet another made up argument.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Again, I have mixed feelings. Imean the Eagles got a 7th rd pick Asante Samual because of his attitude and that guy is a playmaker. lot's of picks while Vontea really hasn't done anything and we got 2 picks for him.

That statement puts this trade in great perspective. Just don't tell Rock Sexton because the truth obviously hurts.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

No.

Lol. Good response.

But seriously, why not? Realistically, (especially given Ireland's history), you're only hitting on one of those 2 picks anyway. Good luck finding a player of Wallace's caliber in the 2nd round...

Best post of the day! LOL.
Except it is like one out of ten at the moment. He does better trading them.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Hopefully Ireland will not be in Miami. Wallace was a 3rd Rd. pick.

Miami has to many holes to spend 2 high picks for one player.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
That statement puts this trade in great perspective. Just don't tell Rock Sexton because the truth obviously hurts.

Ya, over the hill injury-prone 31 year old with a huge price tag vs. a guy on the 4th year of a cheap rookie contract who's considered a potential all-pro with conditioning issues.

Apples to Oranges.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

You're supposing you're capable of thinking like a GM?

Priceless.

The talent disparity between VD and Carol is the size of the Grand Canyon. VD is cheap considering his rookie contract.

thats' you're exaggerated opinion. This front office was not going to give him a big new contract past his rookie contract so why wait? they did the inevitable. You're the only one talking about davis like he's Darrelle Revis.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
thats' you're exaggerated opinion. This front office was not going to give him a big new contract past his rookie contract so why wait? they did the inevitable. You're the only one talking about davis like he's Darrelle Revis.

Never mentioned Darrelle Revis or even remotely compared their talents.

More made up arguments. That's all you got man.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Hopefully Ireland will not be in Miami. Wallace was a 3rd Rd. pick.

Miami has to many holes to spend 2 high picks for one player.

And you created one more by trading Vontae, for a pick you very likely can't replace him with. Just stupid.

Btw, why would Ireland do this if he was afraid of being fired? I think it's clear Ross has given him a full chance to rebuild this team "the right way"...Problem is Ireland is overkilling the obsession with acquiring draft picks.

And like apostos said, Ireland's track record in the 2nd round is much less than 50%. Even if you do hit on one of those 2 picks, you're likely only "filling a hole" with an average player...Wallace not only fills the biggest hole on the roster, but it gives us a BIG TIME playmaker at the position.

The draft, especially early, in today's game is about acquiring playmakers at playmaking positions. Acquiring Wallace does that. Keeping the 2 2nd round picks will likely result in 2 more Koa Misi's....

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
You know, Vontae was a great player for us

I'd say "good" player. He has talent and speed but what has he really done? I agree junkie,let's wait and see.

thats the problem with this argument. Fans here have convinced themselves that Davis was great. He wasn't.

Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Quote:
At least one person isn’t happy with the trade — former Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson, who criticized the move on his Twitter account.

“Let me think..Dolphins trade pro bowl Marshall for nothing, release best receiver, trade away a good CB…. going to run out of players,” he wrote.

Funny after several years of hindsight, I see a former coach who wasn't the resident draft expert, he was suppose to be either. Yes, he got us Zach and Jason, and I'm eternally grateful. Thank's for the Wanny years coach, grab some nachos and go back to your boat.

2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

i think next year's are better than this draft. Woods and Allen in the top 10

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Not to ramble on here, but eventually these trades have to have some substance.

You can trade Marshall and Vontae and whoever else for picks....

But at this point it's like you acquiring picks for the sake of acquiring picks. Trading a good young player for another unknown 2nd rate talent is dumb.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
But at this point it's like you acquiring picks for the sake of acquiring picks. Trading a good young player for another unknown 2nd rate talent is dumb.
Agree

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next