View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Vontae Davis is a Colt! 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Vontae Davis is a Colt!
Rock Sexton wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:
This is one of the best thought out response to this thread. Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster.

Has absolutely nothing to do with our arguments, for those of us who are arguing against it. Reading comprehension.

Don't remember calling you out by name...but I guess you felt as though I did. Either that or you just needed to add to your post numbers by replying to a generic statement and acting like an intellectual with your "reading comprehension" dig. Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to act smart behind a keyboard?? That's all I have to say about that. Back on topic....

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

killerbeezdee wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:
This is one of the best thought out response to this thread. Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster.

Has absolutely nothing to do with our arguments, for those of us who are arguing against it. Reading comprehension.

Don't remember calling you out by name...but I guess you felt as though I did. Either that or you just needed to add to your post numbers by replying to a generic statement and acting like an intellectual with your "reading comprehension" dig. Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to act smart behind a keyboard?? That's all I have to say about that. Back on topic....

Nice post! :pumpiron:

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:
I am staying patient on this move and seeing if they have a trade for a veteran wide receiver up their sleeve.

In addition, I am all for giving Philbin a chance to see if "his" system becomes successful for Miami.

I like his attention to detail and quest for perfection in practices and teaching proper techniques and he will not stand for anything less than 100 percent out of the players.

No question, Vontae had some talent, but there were also legit knocks against him too.

I understand everyone wants to win now, but we just changed regime's again and you need to give some things time. Brand new coaching staff, rookie Quarterback, personnel changes.....we have to understand this team is not going to the Superbowl overnight.

Patience, it is still preseason.

Great post!

I second that

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
just responding to your statement about getting value. We definitely did.

Value?? Are you kidding me?

What the hell do you expect to get out of that 2nd round pick?[/quote]

are you kidding? maybe a number 1 wide receiver. What good is Davis right now?? seriously guys, take off the glasses, he's overrated.[/quote]

Wait. We trade Marshall. It is known by everyone in the league we need a WR. We didn't chase a big time free agent. Instead of taking one in the draft, we take another offensive lineman and a suspect TE.

If Ireland had to make this move (trading our best CB) in order to finally get that piece, then how could you not see that as a complete failure in strategy? It is total incompetence.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

killerbeezdee wrote:

I'm one of the people against the trade so obviously chief you're addressing me among the people who are somehow talking about winning a championship this year.

Have fun with that argument though. Not a single person here opining for a Super Bowl title in 2012. Our reasons for being against the VD trade are much different (not to mention a little more thought out than that) and that's just your attempt to marginalize them with a disingenuous response .....

Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to make up arguments?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:33 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Who is running the team? Ireland or Philben?

Great question, I don't really know anymore. Did we ever? LOL

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
IF YOU'LL TAKE ONE MINUTE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THESE THINGS WORK....

Each week the Miami Dolphins players get ranked 1-through-whatever (53, 75, 70). Each player is ranked by their practice and game performance in their unit, and overall. Vontae Davis was consistently third at CB, and from what I'm TOLD his grade wasn't much better than Nolan Carroll (who I told you has rebounded from his sophomore slump). Let us assume Vontae Davis was player No. 26. As I've told you consistently, every player on the Dolphins roster is on the trading block, and GM Jeff Ireland likes to make trades. So.....if a team (say the Colts) offers up a draft pick (2nd and 6th) that's worth more than the team values the player, a deal is done. And that's how Davis is now a Colt. This regime has a right to start over and get THEIR PLAYERS, players who buy into their system, and what they are selling. Disagree with the deal all you want, even if they got fair value for Davis (which they did). But how can you disagree with Joe Philbin filling the locker room with players who are loyal to him?
about 2 hours ago

http://sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins ... ce=twitter

best post yet! Thank you!
listen guys if Vontae goes on to multiple pro Bowl's with the Colts I'll apologize to all of you, otherwise let's move on

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
http://sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins ... ce=twitter

best post yet! Thank you!
listen guys if Vontae goes on to multiple pro Bowl's with the Colts I'll apologize to all of you, otherwise let's move on

Ya, move on guys. Swerve doesn't want to talk about it anymore. He's suggesting we be confident in Nolan Caroll, we're gonna get Terrell Owens, and be happy with a "value system" that brought us this lovely WR core this year, including guys he felt were "Value" picks in the draft.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:37 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Something tells me I didn't get good "value" for my season tickets.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
I am a Dolphins fan; Mets fan; Knicks fan.......and I have proven that I don't jump on anyone else's bandwagon and I certainly know all too well about pain & suffering, but "someday" I will have my day in the sun as a fan again. All of these teams have had stretches throughout the years of going to the playoffs and being successful. You are a fan through thick and thin, unfortunately, outside the fun year of 2008, us Dolphin fans have lived through plenty of challenging moves and major disappointment.

Perhaps I felt this way before out of pure optimism, but this set of coaching changes with Philbin & Sherman & Coyle, I really like and I believe patience will pay off with these guys.

I am in agreement with you on the new direction with this coaching staff. Im more interested in the big picture long term, and that started with them getting Tannehill this year, and getting rid of the problem children that were still here. I really think they're gonna kill it next offseason.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I am in agreement with you on the new direction with this coaching staff. Im more interested in the big picture long term, and that started with them getting Tannehill this year, and getting rid of the problem children that were still here. I really think they're gonna kill it next offseason.

You mean that same "long term" and system you felt Davone Bess absolutely would not fit in? Or the one where according to you Philbin is supposedly "intrigued" by Clyde Gates?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Last year... And didn't Sparano bench him one time

His incident was showing up hungover to practice during the season last year.

and it caused a fight with Marshall. Thats pretty freakin bad incident.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:43 pm

1984phins wrote:
Something tells me I didn't get good "value" for my season tickets.

Well... when the games are free on TV and ticket prices are a ripoff no matter how good a team is... you didn't get good value. Not to mention the cost of parking...

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:43 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:

I'm one of the people against the trade so obviously chief you're addressing me among the people who are somehow talking about winning a championship this year.

Have fun with that argument though. Not a single person here opining for a Super Bowl title in 2012. Our reasons for being against the VD trade are much different (not to mention a little more thought out than that) and that's just your attempt to marginalize them with a disingenuous response .....

Do you feel better now that the internet has given you a venue to make up arguments?

Bro, do you need a hug??? Stop assuming that I was including you in my statement. You are not the only one who responded to the trade negatively....now pay attention because this is where you are getting lost the Generic Vibe or consensus is that the team was a better team with VD on it. The super bowl part of my statement was called SARCASM!

Where I come from (Miami) a turd is a turd is a turd. In other words this team stunk with VD on it and it stinks with out him. End of story.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
and it caused a fight with Marshall. Thats pretty freakin bad incident.

No.

That was B-Marsh acting on his own according throwing a football in his face. Let's not spin that situation as Vonte trying to fight a teammate.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:44 pm

killerbeezdee wrote:
Where I come from (Miami)

Jooor from Hialeah, acere....

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:45 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

swerve13 wrote:

how is a likely high 2nd round pick chump change for an up and down corner who was picked 25th overall? get some perspective.

Likely high pick? What are you calling high? Look at Miami history with 2nd Rd. picks. Miami has not hit on a 2nd Rd. pick since 2001 with Chambers. Not included is the past 2 drafts. Can't call Smith a hit. He has been serviceable & not worth a 2nd Rd. pick.

Davis while he has his issues is a solid CB with higher potential.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Opinions vary on this trade Rock:

Dolphins get value in Vontae Davis trade
August, 26, 2012
Aug 26
2:40
PM ET
By James Walker | ESPN.com

The mystery trade Indianapolis Colts president Jim Irsay had been hinting about on Twitter turned out to involve the Miami Dolphins. Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports the Dolphins traded cornerback Vontae Davis to the Colts for a second-round and a conditional late round pick in 2013.

I like this trade for Miami. Yes, the secondary is a little weaker. But Miami received good value for a cornerback who recently lost his starting job to free-agent signing Richard Marshall in training camp. Indianapolis' second-round pick could be a high one at the top of the round next year. The Dolphins now have two picks in the second and third rounds in the 2013 draft.

Davis has talent but also some baggage. He was suspended for one game last year due to a scuffle with former Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall in practice and had immaturity issues. It was well-documented recently in "Hard Knocks," as Davis showed up to camp out of shape and taking ill-advised breaks in practice.

Davis wasn't the type of player new Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wants in his locker room. Philbin is weeding out players like Davis, Marshall and Chad Johnson and moving on, regardless of talent.

The Dolphins take a little bit of a hit on defense in trading Davis. But Miami is rebuilding for the future anyway.

This move is about getting better in 2013 and beyond.

they signed Marshall for a reason. He had an excellent year in Arizona last year. He just doesn't carry the street name that Davis does. Simply Davis is overrated and Marshall is underrated.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Not to mention the cost of parking...

Or $200.00 for club liv...lol. Even with a free ticket it's still a $100.00 day with parking food and drinks. It's crazy.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

killerbeezdee wrote:
Bro, do you need a hug??? Stop assuming that I was including you in my statement. You are not the only one who responded to the trade negatively....

This comment is seriously hilarious. You claim people who do not like the trade need to settle down since we're not winning a championship ..... but that response somehow doesn't include me, even though I'm against the trade.

Quote:
tnow pay attention because this is where you are getting lost the Generic Vibe or consensus is that the team was a better team with VD on it. The super bowl part of my statement was called SARCASM!

It was more than sarcasm, it was just laziness because you didn't feel the need to address all the points we've touched upon as to why we view the trade a negative. Just like your hug comment.

Quote:
Where I come from (Miami) a turd is a turd is a turd. In other words this team stunk with VD on it and it stinks with out him. End of story.

Ambiguous statement. End of Story.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:47 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rich wrote:
killerbeezdee wrote:
Where I come from (Miami)

LOL touche...well grew up in Hialeah...but birth certificate says South Mia Hospital.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
they signed Marshall for a reason. He had an excellent year in Arizona last year. He just doesn't carry the street name that Davis does. Simply Davis is overrated and Marshall is underrated.

You didn't even know who Richard Marshall was before he came to Miami. Of course now he's underrated. LOL

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Again, I have mixed feelings. Imean the Eagles got a 7th rd pick Asante Samual because of his attitude and that guy is a playmaker. lot's of picks while Vontea really hasn't done anything and we got 2 picks for him.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Again, I have mixed feelings. Imean the Eagles got a 7th rd pick Asante Samual because of his attitude and that guy is a playmaker. lot's of picks while Vontea really hasn't done anything and we got 2 picks for him.

Assante is 31 and injury prone.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:51 pm

swerve13 wrote:

Marshall looked terrible against the Falcons.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Looks like Philbin is cleaning house of "low" character, out of shape, cry baby players. I'll reserve judgement until we see what we get from him. Vontae is a good corner IMO, but how good is he really? We act like we ahve winning culture around here. Low character, talented players hardly ever win championships...Ricky, Ceceil Collins, B. Marhsall, Chad Johnson, and add vontae to thelist. We have sucked anyway and it seems like Philbin wants to change the culture around here, I have no problem with that.

exactly Mac, you have to change the culture to become a winner, otherwise we will stay a losing franchise. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:53 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Makchell wrote:

FYI. Samual is 31 & has lost a step. Last time I heard struggling in Atl. His career is almost over, plus his contract was huge.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:53 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:

Or $200.00 for club liv...lol. Even with a free ticket it's still a $100.00 day with parking food and drinks. It's crazy.

If you don't eat at the stadium's concessions (food sucks anyway) and you don't drink alcohol (which I don't) then it is considerably less than 100 a day with a "free ticket."

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:54 pm

1984phins wrote:
Makchell wrote:

If you don't eat at the stadium's concessions (food sucks anyway) and you don't drink alcohol (which I don't) then it is considerably less than 100 a day with a "free ticket."

It's still like $30 for parking...

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
exactly Mac, you have to change the culture to become a winner, otherwise we will stay a losing franchise. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Football "Rome" also wasn't built by prematurely jettisoning top talent on the team for draft picks, especially with our history of 2nd rounders.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:55 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

killerbeezdee wrote:

In other words this team stunk with VD on it and it stinks with out him. End of story.
At some point a team has to stop trading off talent, just because. Davis could have been a part of the rebuilding.

Now, not only does Miami need a Wr, they now no longer have a 3rd CB, which in today's NFL is a starter.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:56 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I believe Vontae was injured last year. Is he in his last year of his contract? I really don't know...maybe it was a business decision?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:56 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Makchell wrote:
I believe Vontae was injured last year. Is he in his last year of his contract? I really don't know...maybe it was a business decision?

2 Yrs left. Injury prone & having an injury are not the same.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Makchell wrote:

Vontae is out of shape prone.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Can't even begin to compare VD's hammy injury vs. Samuel's 10 year history of bumps and nicks.

His contract was too pricey and Philly didn't want to pay it anymore. VD had 2 years left on his contract .... the whopping 5 year $10.25 million rookie one.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

[i]Davis could have been a part of the rebuilding.[/i

For sure IF his heart was into to it.

2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster.

Yep, he got torched last year in games and his int stats suck. He's really not that good IMO. COming to camp out of shape and showing up last year hungover shows no heart. I'm just gonna see what happens....

I hated the pick on draft day with Hakeem Nicks and Clay mattews still on the board.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:59 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

1984phins wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
just responding to your statement about getting value. We definitely did.

Value?? Are you kidding me?

What the hell do you expect to get out of that 2nd round pick?

are you kidding? maybe a number 1 wide receiver. What good is Davis right now?? seriously guys, take off the glasses, he's overrated.[/quote]

Wait. We trade Marshall. It is known by everyone in the league we need a WR. We didn't chase a big time free agent. Instead of taking one in the draft, we take another offensive lineman and a suspect TE.

If Ireland had to make this move (trading our best CB) in order to finally get that piece, then how could you not see that as a complete failure in strategy? It is total incompetence.[/quote]

If Davis was a potential superstar based on talent, who seemed like he might never realize that potential and you trade him before other tems know that, you've partially recouped your loss. Not a failure in my mind.

While it is hard not see this as a bad trade, or a attempt to cover up for bad drafting, I'm going to wait and see what we do with the pick.

I thought it was now or never to get a receiver in here with two weeks left until the season starts, since they need time to learn the system and build chemistery with RT. Hoping that's the end result. Probably not Wallace, but Bowe from KC is a good possibiity.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Wait and see what happens.

Couldn't agree more. If Miami flips the 2nd for a WR and and that extra 3rd for a nickel corner everyone will be screaming hallelujah.

The move definitely weakens the team at the moment, but I get the feeling something else is in the works.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next