View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Vontae Davis is a Colt! 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Vontae Davis is a Colt!
Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
He didn't lose his starting job yet. Or come in out of shape yet again

Huh?

My point is you trade him before he gets demoted for Richard Marshall and BEFORE everyone sees the conditioning issues.

Why? at that point you didn't know he was out of shape AGAIN. And you didn't know he was your 3rd cb.

He lost his job in training camp. People think the preseason is useless. But it's not. that is a tryout for the team. especially a new coaching staff.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
IF YOU'LL TAKE ONE MINUTE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THESE THINGS WORK....

Each week the Miami Dolphins players get ranked 1-through-whatever (53, 75, 70). Each player is ranked by their practice and game performance in their unit, and overall. Vontae Davis was consistently third at CB, and from what I'm TOLD his grade wasn't much better than Nolan Carroll (who I told you has rebounded from his sophomore slump). Let us assume Vontae Davis was player No. 26. As I've told you consistently, every player on the Dolphins roster is on the trading block, and GM Jeff Ireland likes to make trades. So.....if a team (say the Colts) offers up a draft pick (2nd and 6th) that's worth more than the team values the player, a deal is done. And that's how Davis is now a Colt. This regime has a right to start over and get THEIR PLAYERS, players who buy into their system, and what they are selling. Disagree with the deal all you want, even if they got fair value for Davis (which they did). But how can you disagree with Joe Philbin filling the locker room with players who are loyal to him?
about 2 hours ago

http://sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins ... ce=twitter

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am a Dolphins fan; Mets fan; Knicks fan.......and I have proven that I don't jump on anyone else's bandwagon and I certainly know all too well about pain & suffering, but "someday" I will have my day in the sun as a fan again. All of these teams have had stretches throughout the years of going to the playoffs and being successful. You are a fan through thick and thin, unfortunately, outside the fun year of 2008, us Dolphin fans have lived through plenty of challenging moves and major disappointment.

Perhaps I felt this way before out of pure optimism, but this set of coaching changes with Philbin & Sherman & Coyle, I really like and I believe patience will pay off with these guys.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Why? at that point you didn't know he was out of shape AGAIN. And you didn't know he was your 3rd cb.

He lost his job in training camp. People think the preseason is useless. But it's not that is a tryout for the team. especially a new coaching staff.

What other camp did he show up to out of shape?

Regardless, we signed Richard Marshall in March before preseason even began.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:

He lost his job in training camp. People think the preseason is useless. But it's not that is a tryout for the team. especially a new coaching staff.

I can agree to a point, but obviously most teams do not walk away from a talented player simply because he lacks some conditioning issues. One would think you figure out a way to motivate him a little more. Not simply wash your hands to him.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

Each week the Miami Dolphins players get ranked 1-through-whatever (53, 75, 70). Each player is ranked by their practice and game performance in their unit, and overall. Vontae Davis was consistently third at CB, and from what I'm TOLD his grade wasn't much better than Nolan Carroll (who I told you has rebounded from his sophomore slump). Let us assume Vontae Davis was player No. 26. As I've told you consistently, every player on the Dolphins roster is on the trading block, and GM Jeff Ireland likes to make trades. So.....if a team (say the Colts) offers up a draft pick (2nd and 6th) that's worth more than the team values the player, a deal is done. And that's how Davis is now a Colt. This regime has a right to start over and get THEIR PLAYERS, players who buy into their system, and what they are selling. Disagree with the deal all you want, even if they got fair value for Davis (which they did). But how can you disagree with Joe Philbin filling the locker room with players who are loyal to him?
about 2 hours ago

Should we also consider Ireland's "value system" in what he brought to the WR-core this year via the draft?

Quitting on young players rather then try to work with them and guide them to being consummate professionals is not a great recipe.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I can agree to a point, but obviously most teams do not walk away from a talented player simply because he lacks some conditioning issues. One would think you figure out a way to motivate him a little more. Not simply wash your hands to him.

There have been enough reports out of Dolphins camp that Vontae's issues were not just focused around his conditioning. and plenty has been discussed about his dedication and maturity issues.

The coaching staff obviously felt to go in another direction and get "some" value for him. Whether this ends up being a trade or a 30 "something" pick overall next year, we just now have to hope something good comes back in return. Until then, we cannot really worry or do anything about it as fans.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Finhead34 wrote:
I am a Dolphins fan; Mets fan; Knicks fan.......and I have proven that I don't jump on anyone else's bandwagon and I certainly know all too well about pain & suffering, but "someday" I will have my day in the sun as a fan again. All of these teams have had stretches throughout the years of going to the playoffs and being successful. You are a fan through thick and thin, unfortunately, outside the fun year of 2008, us Dolphin fans have lived through plenty of challenging moves and major disappointment.

Perhaps I felt this way before out of pure optimism, but this set of coaching changes with Philbin & Sherman & Coyle, I really like and I believe patience will pay off with these guys.

God love you karl, you know all those years spent in Jackson's Hole with obnoxious Bill's Fans has made you impervious to doubt.
Quote:
but "someday" I will have my day in the sun as a fan again
Amen...I just hope it isn't as they find me passed out in the sun, drowned in my sorrows, moments before they start shovelling dirt on my face...LOL.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

What other camp did he show up to out of shape?

Regardless, we signed Richard Marshall in March before preseason even began.

Last year... And didn't Sparano bench him one time

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

about 2 hours ago

Total BS. If Tannehill would have been the 4th best QB on the roster this year. Say Delvin just suddenly blew everyone away. Philben would have cut/traded him? Don't think so.

The professional sports is not simply just about this coming season but the future & also player development. Seems to me Philben is afraid of players he might have to work at reaching.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

@PriscoCBS: Love the move by the Colts to get Vontae Davis. Cover corners with skill are hard to find. Nice move Ryan Grigson

@SI_PeterKing: RT @kingjca55: Thoughts on trade?... VDavis the kind of cover corner Indy had to have. Will be happy to start fresh in place that wants him.

@JeffDarlington: I don't agree with the sentiment that Miami got good "value" for Vontae. "Value" for a 1st-rd pick entering 4th season would be a Pro Bowl.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:

His incident was showing up hungover to practice during the season last year.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yes Gary, I am being selfish saying this, but you and I have watched games together since the early 1990's, punished in many era's of putting up with numerous Buffalo Bill's thrashings, including a white no name running back for Buffalo running all over the Dolphins in Shula's last game coached to Ted Johnson stealing Marino's signals and picking off his pass in a playoff game all the way to the debacle of a 1-15 season.

We have watched the wheels fall off the bus one way too many times over the years and for some reason, I still choose not to miss a game since 1991 : )

Someday, we will be sitting at a Superbowl together watching the Dolphins hoist the Lombardi trophy and BEFORE they shovel dirt on us!

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dave Hyde:

Quote:
The trade of Vontae Davis to Indy tells you the Dolphins have given up on winning this year. Full fire sale mode. Full rebuilding mode. Everyone knows (and saw on Hard Knocks) Vontae is immature. He's also the most talented CB you have when he's right. As a coach, your job is to get him right. Kevin Coyle decided he couldn't. So now the Dolphins have yet another hole to replace.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Opinions vary on this trade Rock:

Dolphins get value in Vontae Davis trade
August, 26, 2012
Aug 26
2:40
PM ET
By James Walker | ESPN.com

The mystery trade Indianapolis Colts president Jim Irsay had been hinting about on Twitter turned out to involve the Miami Dolphins. Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports the Dolphins traded cornerback Vontae Davis to the Colts for a second-round and a conditional late round pick in 2013.

I like this trade for Miami. Yes, the secondary is a little weaker. But Miami received good value for a cornerback who recently lost his starting job to free-agent signing Richard Marshall in training camp. Indianapolis' second-round pick could be a high one at the top of the round next year. The Dolphins now have two picks in the second and third rounds in the 2013 draft.

Davis has talent but also some baggage. He was suspended for one game last year due to a scuffle with former Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall in practice and had immaturity issues. It was well-documented recently in "Hard Knocks," as Davis showed up to camp out of shape and taking ill-advised breaks in practice.

Davis wasn't the type of player new Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin wants in his locker room. Philbin is weeding out players like Davis, Marshall and Chad Johnson and moving on, regardless of talent.

The Dolphins take a little bit of a hit on defense in trading Davis. But Miami is rebuilding for the future anyway.

This move is about getting better in 2013 and beyond.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

His incident was showing up hungover to practice during the season last year.

And during the 1st game he was gassed..Played like crap and got hurt.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:
I am staying patient on this move and seeing if they have a trade for a veteran wide receiver up their sleeve.

In addition, I am all for giving Philbin a chance to see if "his" system becomes successful for Miami.

I like his attention to detail and quest for perfection in practices and teaching proper techniques and he will not stand for anything less than 100 percent out of the players.

No question, Vontae had some talent, but there were also legit knocks against him too.

I understand everyone wants to win now, but we just changed regime's again and you need to give some things time. Brand new coaching staff, rookie Quarterback, personnel changes.....we have to understand this team is not going to the Superbowl overnight.

Patience, it is still preseason.

Understand, but when you trade your best offensive player & your best DB for future picks & spend one of those future picks on a sluggish underperforming TE who finished his career in college on a decline, then forgive us for wondering about the direction of the team.

Especially if they are going to give up on a talented young player so quickly. As you said. Its not like Miami is going to win, so why give away talent.

Davis for Wallace is the only thing that will make any sense.

Um, calling aren't you giving up on Egnew a wee bit prematurely yourself? We really don't know what he can give us yet. You're writing him off... "giving up on a talented young player". Granted, we don't know how talented, because he hasn't shown us much yet, but we're not even to the last preseason game and you already seem ready to call him a bust.

I'm surprised there isn't a little more balance from this forum. Davis was most talented DB, but he was performing at a level that wasn't in the top 2. He's had his bumps in the past, but I don't think that meant much to Philbin. I am pretty sure that if VD had been playing lights out this would never have happened.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm not saying i like the deal..I like Vontae as a player. And could he have been moved to safety, because ours suck.

But if the corners don't miss a beat and the next guy steps up. How can you complain.

Wait and see what happens.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think anything we say is premature at this point. Let' see how this plays out. What's done is done now. I am looking forward to seeing our core 53 players and any other potential trades that could be in the works.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:

Um, calling aren't you giving up on Egnew a wee bit prematurely yourself? We really don't know what he can give us yet. You're writing him off... "giving up on a talented young player". Granted, we don't know how talented, because he hasn't shown us much yet, but we're not even to the last preseason game and you already seem ready to call him a bust.
How can you say he is talented, then turn around & say he hasn't shown us much? He is a under performing 3rd Rd. pick who ended his collegiate career playing poorly.

I'm not calling him a bust. Bust would incline something was expected from him. He has given me exactly what I expected. To be like Martin Rucker & Chase Coffman. Mizzu TE who could not play in the NFL.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

This excuse that they couldn't "get it out of him" is ridiculous.

You don't even give him the regular season to get it going, and already you've given up? What a joke.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Davis was the best CB we had based upon on field performance in real games. One offseason changed all that? Carroll got burnt by everyone last year and he is all of a sudden better?

Ireland inspires no confidence and if our new coach's fingerprints are on this, then sorry, he is not off to a great start.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:45 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
This trade only makes sense if Mike Wallace is coming to Miami for a 2nd. Other than that. Total ignorant trade by whomever wanted it done.

Reminds me of the "plan" Ireland had when we got rid of our best WR in March...

Everyone was saying/thinking, "Well, he must have some guys in mind to replace him...."

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Looks like Philbin is cleaning house of "low" character, out of shape, cry baby players. I'll reserve judgement until we see what we get from him. Vontae is a good corner IMO, but how good is he really? We act like we ahve winning culture around here. Low character, talented players hardly ever win championships...Ricky, Ceceil Collins, B. Marhsall, Chad Johnson, and add vontae to thelist. We have sucked anyway and it seems like Philbin wants to change the culture around here, I have no problem with that.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Finhead34 wrote:
I am staying patient on this move and seeing if they have a trade for a veteran wide receiver up their sleeve.

In addition, I am all for giving Philbin a chance to see if "his" system becomes successful for Miami.

I like his attention to detail and quest for perfection in practices and teaching proper techniques and he will not stand for anything less than 100 percent out of the players.

No question, Vontae had some talent, but there were also legit knocks against him too.

I understand everyone wants to win now, but we just changed regime's again and you need to give some things time. Brand new coaching staff, rookie Quarterback, personnel changes.....we have to understand this team is not going to the Superbowl overnight.

Patience, it is still preseason.

This is one of the best thought out response to this thread. Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster. We don't know the whys or whats that made our front office pull the trigger. So chill this season was a 6 win season AT BEST!!

Yes the kid had(s) talent but to be honest I liked what I saw out of Carroll vs. Julio Jones this last game more than anything I have seen from Davis in 3 preseason games. He has done some good things in the past, but we all know this is a 'what have you done lately league'.

Its Philbin's team and if he doesn't think he's a fit well so be it....he's the coach and has earned the right to make that call. If he succeeds, and VD fails in Indy, he will be hailed a genius. If its the opposite he will meet his fate as the predecessors that coached before him have.

I'm as impatient as the next fan for a winning season but seriously guys let it play out, your health and family will thank you...lol

I for one am indifferent with this trade and hope for the best. Go Phins!!!

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:01 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster.

Yep, he got torched last year in games and his int stats suck. He's really not that good IMO. COming to camp out of shape and showing up last year hungover shows no heart. I'm just gonna see what happens....

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
While trading Vontae Davis to Indianapolis Colts could make it seem like the Dolphins are holding a fire sale, General Manager Jeff Irelanddisputes the perception that the team’s dumping assets to rebuild.
“Our goal is to win today and tomorrow. Nobody is giving up,” Ireland told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Just because we have some draft picks [for a player] doesn’t mean I can’t use them now.”

Ireland’s referring to the 2013 second-round pick and the 2013 conditional sixth-round pick the Dolphins will receive from the Colts for Davis, a 2009 first-round pick, once he passes his physical.

Ireland admitted the Dolphins front office is currently exploring players that are available for trades. He’s made a trade at this time of year every season except 2011. He also talked about the Dolphins’ history of consistently churning the bottom of the roster, and acknowledged that he’ll continue to do that this season looking for young talent that could blossom into solid contributors.

“Every decision is made with only the best intentions of the organization. At the end of the day we feel like we’re able to make a fair deal for us and the Colts,” Ireland said about the Davis trade. “Richard Marshall and Nolan Carroll were playing well and we felt like cornerback was a position of strength for us.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 6857.story

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:06 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Jeff Ireland's most interesting quote about the Vontae Davis trade was the idea he might turn around
and make a trade with the draft picks he got. "No way anybody has given up (on this season),'' he said. "Just because I got draft picks doesn’t mean I can use them now. This helps us with ammunition to do some other things.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
we have 2 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds next year. New England gets applause for moves like this.
Many times from guys right on this site.

They don't trade their best corner for a pick that they can't replace him with.

The best Ireland has done in the 2nd round is Sean Smith...a worse corner than Vontae.

Yeah, what a great trade! :hithead:

it is a great trade when Richard Marshall and Nolan Carroll are outplaying him in August.
Trading picks for players like the Colts just did doesnt work in the NFL.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Looks like Philbin is cleaning house of "low" character, out of shape, cry baby players. I'll reserve judgement until we see what we get from him. Vontae is a good corner IMO, but how good is he really? We act like we ahve winning culture around here. Low character, talented players hardly ever win championships...Ricky, Ceceil Collins, B. Marhsall, Chad Johnson, and add vontae to thelist. We have sucked anyway and it seems like Philbin wants to change the culture around here, I have no problem with that.

How is VD a cry baby?

Trying to change the culture is one thing. Quitting on players after making meager efforts to guide them to mature as a player is another. You don't get to clean slate to work with as a head coach and you cannot draft/sign 51 new players for the roster. You can't keep creating new holes when we already have enough leaks as it is in the ship. Some players from previous regimes will need to stick. Ones that have shown the talent and haven't even hit their primes yet, should be atop that list.

VD wasn't out there getting arresting or jeopardizing his teammate. He show up out of shape this year.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:21 pm

just responding to your statement about getting value. We definitely did.[/quote]

Value?? Are you kidding me?

What the hell do you expect to get out of that 2nd round pick?[/quote]

are you kidding? maybe a number 1 wide receiver. What good is Davis right now?? seriously guys, take off the glasses, he's overrated.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

killerbeezdee wrote:
This is one of the best thought out response to this thread. Guys you're acting like we were a super bowl contender with Davis on roster.

Has absolutely nothing to do with our arguments, for those of us who are arguing against it. Reading comprehension.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
are you kidding? maybe a number 1 wide receiver. What good is Davis right now?? seriously guys, take off the glasses, he's overrated.

Not according to personnel men around the league and Chuck Pagano who used to run a hell of a defense in Baltimore.

Love fan forum logic. Where all players who leave are garbage.

It's scary that you're comforted by Nolan Caroll after what we've seen out of him.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Jeff Ireland's most interesting quote about the Vontae Davis trade was the idea he might turn around
and make a trade with the draft picks he got. "No way anybody has given up (on this season),'' he said. "Just because I got draft picks doesn’t mean I can use them now. This helps us with ammunition to do some other things.

No potential winning team is going to give up a quality player at this point of the season for draft picks, so that is limits the teams that might be interested in draft picks.

Wallace is the only Wr & from what has been reported is the Steelers are not looking to move him.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
This is not the way you rebuild.

Vontae was young, and our best player at a PREMIUM position in today's game.

We and the team constantly complain that the Defense doesn't create enough turnovers, but then we trade the only DB who creates any? Just stupid....

Smith has surpassed him as our best corners. The coaches talked abouit that in episode one

Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

killerbeezdee wrote:
So chill this season was a 6 win season AT BEST!!!

It is more than that. It is trading the best CB on this team for an unknown. It is likely making this team worse this year for a chance at... who? Ireland's drafting has been mediocre at best.

Remember, this is the same GM who replaced our #1 WR with... a bunch of backups (his words).

I don't have faith we are going to get anyone better. Perhaps you and others do.

Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Smith has surpassed him as our best corners. The coaches talked abouit that in episode one

You mean the same secondary coach that said VD had the talent to be among the best CB's in the game? But yet he's garbage right according to you.

Funny how you pick and choose which sound bites you like the most.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
it is a great trade when Richard Marshall and Nolan Carroll are outplaying him in August.
Its shame games are won & lost in Sept - Jan.

swerve13 wrote:
Trading picks for players like the Colts just did doesnt work in the NFL.
Its worked & not worked.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Looks like Philbin is cleaning house of "low" character, out of shape, cry baby players.
Who is running the team? Ireland or Philben?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I said this before, but if they were gonna trade him why on Earth did they wait until AFTER he's being portrayed poorly on Hard Knocks? Why not trade him before the draft?

Maybe because of that the Colts came calling. Thought they could pick up a known talented player for chump change.

This trade only makes sense if Mike Wallace is coming to Miami for a 2nd. Other than that. Total ignorant trade by whomever wanted it done.

how is a likely high 2nd round pick chump change for an up and down corner who was picked 25th overall? get some perspective.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next