View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sparano on Pat Turner 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Sparano on Pat Turner
Quote:
"I hope he takes the next jump," Sparano said. "I hope he becomes a little more aggressive with the ball, a little more polished with route running, those kind of things and he uses some of the knowlege [wide receivers coach] Karl Dorrell has given him, some of the wisdom that Karl has given him in the last year from a release standpoint and those type of things.

"The fundamental part of the thing with Patrick is the most important thing right now. I want to see that growth. I want to see him more aggressive with the ball when it's in the air. He's a big receiver that I want to see him play big."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0j1HX8kMc

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:30 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Sparano on Pat Turner
So the guy can't run routes and can't catch the ball in traffic.

That's why it's a bad idea to bank on inexperienced receivers coming out of a pass happy college offense.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:51 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I wanna see him perform in a game...

Still, last year we were out of the playoff picture and I could have sworn he was gonna get some action... and no.

What is the real deal there? is he an underachiever?
Ironically we NEED a big WR threat... he got drafted on the 3rd round!!! not only that, he was Sanchez's #1 target in college... After all that, he doesn't get 1 snap in 2009 even though our WR's were performing bad overall.
And now some are thinking to get Dez Bryant in the 12th.... this is ridiculous.

Round #2 - Pat White
Round #3 - Pat Turner

what a waste of draft picks... at least so far.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Southern Cal is far from a pass happy offense. They are a balanced, pro style offense under Pete Carroll while he was at SC.

In regards to Pat Turner, as much as Miami needed his size in the red zone, for him not to even get any playing time speaks volumes.

If Dez Braynt slips to Miami at #12, he very much is a consideration. The one spot that this draft is not very deep is at the WR spot, and Sparano has said there will be no Brandon Marshall in Miami. Terrell Owens either, but that comes as no surprise.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinsfansc wrote:
Southern Cal is far from a pass happy offense. They are a balanced, pro style offense under Pete Carroll while he was at SC.

In regards to Pat Turner, as much as Miami needed his size in the red zone, for him not to even get any playing time speaks volumes.

If Dez Braynt slips to Miami at #12, he very much is a consideration. The one spot that this draft is not very deep is at the WR spot, and Sparano has said there will be no Brandon Marshall in Miami. Terrell Owens either, but that comes as no surprise.

Dez Bryant in the #12 is a MAJOR reach... Ginn type of reach. Not because of his skills wich he has plenty (except for blazing speed), but because I don't like his character and the idea to be drafting for the 2nd time in 4 years a WR in the 1st.

I'd rather move up and get Suh :embarrassed:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dez Braynt is far, far from being a Ted Ginn reach. I can understand the concerns about Bryant and who he is associating himself with, and teams will certainly have to do there background checks on him. Miami had to do the due dillegence on Vontae Davis last year also, because there were many that had concerns about Vontae.

In regards to talent and production, Mikey Mayock has this kid at the 3rd most talented kid in this draft.

Miami needs a playmaker at WR. Ted Ginn was drafted by another regime and he is Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller's mistake. Ginn was not close to being as productive coming out of Ohio State. As far as speed is concerned, I will take a 6'2, 225 lbs WR that can run a 4.4-4.5 40, which is were Braynt likely will run at his pro day.

And trading up to get Suh? Why? You really want to give up the bounty of picks needed to get to number 2 or 3 to get Suh.

This will probably be a defense heavy draft for Miami, so I see them trading down before they come close to trading up and giving away picks.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:49 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Quote:
In regards to talent and production, Mikey Mayock has this kid at the 3rd most talented kid in this draft.

Mel Kiper had Mike Williams in 05 as one of the top WR's in draft history. (my only point here is that scouts are sometimes right and most of the times wrong rating football players). So when I hear in the news that his own teammates were worried with his lazy and childish attitude, just makes me think at what point is he gonna start doing that in this team... So PASS.

Plus he compares himself to Larry Fitzgerald and Randy Moss... That's plain BS :hithead: Randy Moss did not compare himself to Jerry Rice coming in to the NFL... same case for Larry. I don't like thrash talkers that haven't proved anything yet.

Im just saying I would rather move up than reaching for Bryant in the 12th. I want Suh because NT is our top priority for now... I would put a hold on the WR class for the draft and get me a NT, S, OLB, TE... Then I would go WR.

That's just me...

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Why trade up and give up multiple picks for a NT when there is a good chance Dan Williams will be there at #12?

Also, all of the so called experts like Mayock, McShay and others believe the Suh and McCoy are can't miss prospects. We all know that there have been numerous bust at the DT position from can't miss prospects as well.

Look, all I am saying is that Bryant will be a consideration IF he get's to #12. I am not saying the Dolphins will select him. I will leave it at that.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:39 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

fonzy wrote:
So the guy can't run routes and can't catch the ball in traffic.

There is a difference between "can't" and "has to work on".

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dan wrote:

Still, last year we were out of the playoff picture and I could have sworn he was gonna get some action... and no.

When was Miami ever out of the playoff picture?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:54 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Dan wrote:

The second half of the pittsburgh game, duhhh..

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Quote:
Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano admitted he failed one of his receivers last season.

One of the glaring regrets Sparano has about 2009 was the fact he didn’t develop Patrick Turner, the former USC receiver the Dolphins selected in the third-round of last year’s draft, enough to get him into games.
Sparano admitted he was too concerned about game-planning, and special teams duties to find a role for Turner.

“I don’t feel good about that from my end. I did a poor job of that,” Sparano volunteered when talking about last year’s rookie class.
Turner was the only player he talked about in that fashion.

“I should have got him in the game,” he said. ”I should have got him some exposure so I did not do a good job there.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... urner.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
Dan wrote:

Since we lost that Buffalo game... Let's be honest, it was a one shot wonder.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Bottom line: our staff is reluctant to admit they reached for this guy. I remember Kiper stating that this guy could be had in the 6th round or later. Not saying Kiper is always right, but he is looking pretty dang smart right about now.
Lets put it this way, if the guy is still on the team after next season I'll be AMAZED.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]