View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:30 pm



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui 
Author Message
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 315
Location: PA
Post ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Quote:
Miami Dolphins' Ronnie Brown is arrested for DUI
Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown was arrested outside Atlanta on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol late Friday night, two sources said.
BY JEFF DARLINGTON
jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown was arrested late Friday night for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol during an offseason trip to his hometown outside of Atlanta this weekend, two sources told The Miami Herald.

Brown, who has no previous arrest record, was arrested after an officer pulled him over for making a lane change without using his blinker, sources said.

He was released from jail early Saturday morning.

The Dolphins are aware of the situation, and they are continuing to monitor the legal process. They are not believed to be overly upset with Brown because of his impeccable past as a player and a citizen.

The team did not have a comment Sunday.

Brown is distraught over the arrest and he has hired an attorney to help defend him in the case, the sources said. He did not perform well during the field-sobriety test, which contributed to the officer's decision to arrest Brown, sources said. It remains possible the charges could soon be reduced to a traffic violation in the coming days.

The arresting officer's detailed version of the arrest Has not yet been obtained because it occurred during the weekend. Brown's agent, Todd France, did not return messages Sunday to comment on the arrest.

The running back is continuing a recovery from foot surgery in November, when he suffered a season-ending Lisfranc fracture that put him on crutches for six weeks afterward.

Brown is a restricted free agent tendered with a first-round pick, but he is expected to return to the Dolphins next season given the high level of compensation that would be necessary for another team to sign him.

The Dolphins are scheduled to begin their offseason voluntary training program on Monday. Brown's legal situation will not keep him from attending. Brown, a Pro Bowl running back who made the Wildcat offense popular in 2008, is among the most popular players on the team's roster. His laid-back personality has typically left him in good standing with his coaching staffs when it cones to his life away from the football field.

The veteran would have hit unrestricted free agent after the most recent season, but the lack of a new collective bargaining agreement caused a delay in his ability to demand a new contract in Miami or elsewhere.

At 28, he is still expected to anchor the Dolphins' rushing attack next season, while Ricky Williams and Patrick Cobbs serve as his backups.

Brown's entire NFL career has been spent in South Florida. He was the team's second overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/21/1 ... z0is0hvFos



http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/21/1540924/miami-dolphins-ronnie-brown-is.html

didnt see anything on the boards about this...thoughts?


Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
If he comes off as guilty, this is probably the most disappointing news I've heard since Ricky Williams abruptly retired. From reading this, it sounds like the officer had some sort of hidden agenda....pulled him over cuz he changed lanes without a blinker? Then made him run a sobriety test? Seems ridiculous if you ask me. However, if there is more to it than that, I'm disappointed in Brown.

_________________
Image


Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 315
Location: PA
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
he probably smelled alcohol. unfortunately, i was pulled over for crossing the yellow lines a tad bit while making a left hand turn this past summer at 2:30am in the morning on a weekend and i had been drinking, and the officer smelled it. next thing i know i was out of the car, balancing on one foot, following a pen, and counting back from an utmost ridiculous number (was in the 10,000s). needless to say he arrested me in pink handcuffs and shackles and took me to get blood drawn, and i got a dui. :cry:


Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8960
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
If true, I'm severely disappointed. I feel bad for Ronnie because I know this is an easy trap to fall into. However, he needs to learn his lesson just like everyone else: you don't get behind the wheel if you've been drinking. I'm sure he realizes he messed up and I think that his impeccable history should earn him some currency with the courts and the NFL.


Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4677
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Personally I am sick and tired of people putting these guys up on pedestals thinking they are supposed to act holier than thou...

Go get drunk and drive, smoke some weed, have crazy sex with all kinds of women behind our wife's back..

Who gives a sh**, just be ready for training camp and run the ball....

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
Personally I am sick and tired of people putting these guys up on pedestals thinking they are supposed to act holier than thou...

Go get drunk and drive, smoke some weed, have crazy sex with all kinds of women behind our wife's back..

Who gives a sh**, just be ready for training camp and run the ball....


I give a sh**...please don't endanger the lives of others.

_________________
Image


Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 pm
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3490
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Ronnie needs to not drink and drive. He will never be able to live with himself if he takes someone life because of drinking and driving.

Think Ronnie.

_________________
Image


Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 315
Location: PA
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
who knows, im not saying drinking and driving is the right thing to do, but you can get a dui for drinking three beers in an hour. he shouldnt be driving if he is under the influence of anything, anyways, the dude has enough money for a taxi or room.


Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3755
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
Personally I am sick and tired of people putting these guys up on pedestals thinking they are supposed to act holier than thou...

Go get drunk and drive, smoke some weed, have crazy sex with all kinds of women behind our wife's back..

Who gives a sh**, just be ready for training camp and run the ball....


What about being smart and not putting other people's lives at risk has anything to do with being holier than thou?

Your line of logic I believe is faulty. Some of the things that you encourage them to do can get them arrested and if done repeatedly they won't be ready for training camp and they won't be available to run the ball because they could be in jail and suspended from the NFL.

In this case we don't know the whole story yet. There may be nothing to it.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 am
Posts: 321
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Iowafin wrote:
If he comes off as guilty, this is probably the most disappointing news I've heard since Ricky Williams abruptly retired. From reading this, it sounds like the officer had some sort of hidden agenda....pulled him over cuz he changed lanes without a blinker? Then made him run a sobriety test? Seems ridiculous if you ask me. However, if there is more to it than that, I'm disappointed in Brown.


The governmental conspiracies will never end.

Changing lanes without signaling is against the law and a sign of possible drunk driving as is smelling the odor of liquor on his breath and failing sobriety tests. Geez an officer doing what he is trained to do and getting a suspected drunk driver off the road. Absolutely absurd.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:08 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Dolfanrar wrote:
The governmental conspiracies will never end.


As long as there continue to be cops who abuse their power and add false items to arrest reports while acting like a-holes, the public will not trust cops.

One rotten apple spoils the bunch.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 9338
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Knowing Ronnie, I expect an apology from him if he is guilty. He's that kind of a guy. I will wait for the final outcome of this. He deserves that from us.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:03 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 943
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:
The governmental conspiracies will never end.


As long as there continue to be cops who abuse their power and add false items to arrest reports while acting like a-holes, the public will not trust cops.

One rotten apple spoils the bunch.


Easy there, Dr. Arrogance. I don't know what line of work you are in, but I'm pretty sure we all know people who do whatever we do for a living who are "rotten apples." Cops are just people. I find it offensive when people hate on cops because of the ignorant ones, because generally speaking they are good people who put their lives on the line every day to serve the community. I don't want to throw Ronnie under the bus just like Dave doesn't, but I sure don't want to throw the cops who stopped him under the bus either.

I hope you never have to call a cop in an emergency (and I mean that) but if you do you can be darn sure you'll appreciate them when they show up.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 am
Posts: 321
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
k-dash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:
The governmental conspiracies will never end.


As long as there continue to be cops who abuse their power and add false items to arrest reports while acting like a-holes, the public will not trust cops.

One rotten apple spoils the bunch.


Easy there, Dr. Arrogance. I don't know what line of work you are in, but I'm pretty sure we all know people who do whatever we do for a living who are "rotten apples." Cops are just people. I find it offensive when people hate on cops because of the ignorant ones, because generally speaking they are good people who put their lives on the line every day to serve the community. I don't want to throw Ronnie under the bus just like Dave doesn't, but I sure don't want to throw the cops who stopped him under the bus either.

I hope you never have to call a cop in an emergency (and I mean that) but if you do you can be darn sure you'll appreciate them when they show up.


Thank you. I couldn't have said it any better.

And Rich just so you are aware there are many cops who despise the ones who act like a-holes.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4677
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Oh.. May bad, I wasnt aware that he killed somebody...

Ok then thats bad...

I thought he was "allegedly driving drunk" I must have misread the headlines....

Just so you guys know, there may be people on this site who made a mistake or two in their life and are not pure as the driven snow. So forgive us if we have a tad bit of compassion and dont start shooting when another person makes a mistake..

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3895
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
Oh.. May bad, I wasnt aware that he killed somebody...

Ok then thats bad...

I thought he was "allegedly driving drunk" I must have misread the headlines....

Just so you guys know, there may be people on this site who made a mistake or two in their life and are not pure as the driven snow. So forgive us if we have a tad bit of compassion and dont start shooting when another person makes a mistake..


They're not getting on you because of that at all. Read the words on the screen, not between the lines. You're argument was crap and they called you out... if you wanna stand up for Ronnie, go ahead, but don't go off telling him he should "do this and that and everything else illegal" and not expect a response.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:43 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
k-dash wrote:
Easy there, Dr. Arrogance.


First of all, there is no need for the personal attack. Second of all, there was nothing arrogant about my post. I'm just stating the facts. If you don't like facts, then that sucks for you.

Quote:
I don't know what line of work you are in, but I'm pretty sure we all know people who do whatever we do for a living who are "rotten apples." Cops are just people.


Yes, they are. And many of them seem to forget that because they are in a position of authority. They forget that it is the taxpayers who pay their salaries.

Most people are not in a line of work where they can stick a person in a jail cell, so that is a silly comparison on your part.

Quote:
I find it offensive when people hate on cops because of the ignorant ones, because generally speaking they are good people who put their lives on the line every day to serve the community.


And I find it offensive when people assume that what is on a police report is gospel. Cops REGULARLY add additional charges so that people have to pay more bail money to get out of jail.

And if you took the time to read my original comment carefully, you would see that I was very careful in my wording when expressing my opinion. I did not say all cops. I kept my comments specific to cops who abuse their power. And yes there are many. I see examples of this at least once a week.

Quote:
but I sure don't want to throw the cops who stopped him under the bus either.


Good for you. Show me where I am throwing the cop that stopped Ronnie under the bus.

Quote:
I hope you never have to call a cop in an emergency (and I mean that) but if you do you can be darn sure you'll appreciate them when they show up.


I'll be appreciative if a good cop shows up. But I have had to call the police for an emergency in the past and have not had good experiences.

Maybe it didn't cross your mind that I may have REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES that have led me to formalize the opinions I have.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Dolfanrar wrote:
And Rich just so you are aware there are many cops who despise the ones who act like a-holes.


I am sure there are. But in many districts, being a-holes and abusing power, being corrupt and "protecting our own" is part of the culture. And this comes from high up in the ranks.

I had a friend who got into the Metro-Dade PD and his first job was as a clerk in Internal Affairs. He quit a couple of months later because his conscience couldn't handle the amount of covering up that was going on in that place. Police policing police doesn't work.

I see cops regularly get to red lights, turn on their lights and sirens, stop traffic, cross the intersection and then turn their lights off when they get to the other side. In other words, they are abusing their power and don't really give a darn if people see them doing it. They do it with impunity.

I have personally been arrested by a police officer, gotten charged with battery on a LEO and resisting arrest with violence even though I did no such thing and about 3 or 4 other inaccurate charges. The charges were dismissed in court because I DID NOTHING WRONG, but hey the city got $1400 of my hard earned money in the process. I had to spend a night in county jail with lowlifes all because someone said I did something I didn't do. The best part is, even though I was being COOPERATIVE and I was already handcuffed on the sidewalk not even moving, one of the cops felt it was necessary to pepper spray me. I always thought that was saved for people who were being unruly. In the process, one of my friends also got arrested for asking what I was being arrested for. They tazered him and charged him with obstruction of justice. At no point did he put his hand on any of the officers or get in the way of them as they arrested me. He was simply asking why I was being arrested and telling the cops that I didn't do what they were accusing me of doing. I was lucky to have SEVERAL eye witnesses to back my story up.

I filed a complaint because of this incident, but because I didn't have any broken bones or "permanent" injuries, it was deemed that excessive force was not used on me. Nevermind the fact that I got put in a chokehold, pepper sprayed despite being 1000% cooperative once the cuffs were on and my friend got tazered for asking a question.

I know people who have had incidents where they were arrested and had charges put on the police report that were not accurate. Cops do this regularly to make the bail skyrocket. I saw COs beat up inmates at County who were complaining about the jail being too cold.

I also remember a story about a bunch of Miami cops who were running an underrage prostitution ring in the Herald a few years ago. That story completely disappeared. I kept looking for what the outcome was but nothing was ever reported. The story simply disappeared.

I have more than enough reasons to be distrustful of cops. Are there good cops? Absolutely. Never said otherwise if you and the personal attacking kneejerking fellow I replied to in another post read my post carefully. But there are enough bad cops out there to make the public mistrustful. And I do not blame them ONE BIT for this.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am
Posts: 226
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Yea, your police is totally f'ed up compared to ours. We experience maybe 5-10 cases a YEAR with police brutality etc. The department that investigates is also independent from the police, iirc. Although we are of course a much smaller and different country, just saying because its hard for someone like me to grasp quite how everybody feels about police in the us.


Still, I would guess the percentages for a cop being right in someone drinking and driving as opposed to someone being unfairly charged for it is greatly skewed towards the former. It wouldn't surprise me to see him plea out, based on his positive record.

_________________
-
A Dane lost on the internet, crashed here
-


Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3755
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
Oh.. May bad, I wasnt aware that he killed somebody...

Ok then thats bad...

I thought he was "allegedly driving drunk" I must have misread the headlines....

Just so you guys know, there may be people on this site who made a mistake or two in their life and are not pure as the driven snow. So forgive us if we have a tad bit of compassion and dont start shooting when another person makes a mistake..


Did you already forget your own words?

Quote:
Personally I am sick and tired of people putting these guys up on pedestals thinking they are supposed to act holier than thou...

Go get drunk and drive, smoke some weed, have crazy sex with all kinds of women behind our wife's back..

Who gives a sh**, just be ready for training camp and run the ball....


You are saying that Dolphin players (or all NFL players?) should get drunk and drive. That puts other peoples lives at risk if they take your advice. Do you understand that? You also want them to go and smoke weed. Both of those things are currently illegal, if they get caught they can go to jail. The NFL can and will suspend them from playing football if they go to jail and or test positive for doing the things you want them to do. Do you understand that would be harmful to the Dolphins football team?


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4677
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
The fact still stands that if they do have a couple drinks and drive, dont get all hollier than thou like you never did...

Dont even try and tell me I am the only one here that ever made a mistake in life?????

Seriously, there isnt one guy on this forum that had a couple drinks and then drove home???

Did I join the virgin christian dolphin fan forum?

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6118
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
The fact still stands that if they do have a couple drinks and drive, dont get all hollier than thou like you never did...

Dont even try and tell me I am the only one here that ever made a mistake in life?????

Seriously, there isnt one guy on this forum that had a couple drinks and then drove home???

Did I join the virgin christian dolphin fan forum?


:) Too funny. Ronnie got stopped for not using a blinker. It appears he was given a road side sobriety.
Seriously, I haven't driven anywhere after drinking since I was a teen. It isn't worth the risk. Guy stops me for a blinker (its been done before) and I've had a couple, I lose my job.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4677
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
NFLJunkie wrote:
:) Too funny. Ronnie got stopped for not using a blinker. It appears he was given a road side sobriety.
Seriously, I haven't driven anywhere after drinking since I was a teen. It isn't worth the risk. Guy stops me for a blinker (its been done before) and I've had a couple, I lose my job.


Look personally I haven't had a drink in over 8 years, so to drink & drive is impossible...

I just find it strange that people see this as such a foreign concept...

Stop for a beer after work & go home... Have a glass of wine at the restaurant and go home etc...

Look I am not talking about doing shots of jack and beer chasers here, or being completely trashed.. 1 glass of wine or 1 16oz beer = DUI nowadays.....

Quote:
Brown is distraught over the arrest, and he has hired an attorney to help defend him in the case, the sources said. He did not perform well during the field-sobriety test, which contributed to the officer's decision to arrest Brown, sources said. It remains possible the charges soon could be reduced to a traffic violation in the coming days. The arresting officer's detailed version of the arrest has not yet been obtained because it occurred during the weekend. Brown's agent, Todd France, did not return messages Sunday to comment on the arrest.


Does anyone know the details? What was his blood alcohol level?

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Last edited by 10acjed on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am
Posts: 226
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
The fact still stands that if they do have a couple drinks and drive, dont get all hollier than thou like you never did...

Dont even try and tell me I am the only one here that ever made a mistake in life?????

Seriously, there isnt one guy on this forum that had a couple drinks and then drove home???

Did I join the virgin christian dolphin fan forum?



I think the notion of it being normal to drink and drive is ridicilous. I don't know what kind of people you socialize with but in my circle it is considered a social suicide(unspoken of course) and nobody would do this. Not ever. And to put it in perspective, you don't get more atheist than me and in my apartment it's always 4:20 ;)

_________________
-
A Dane lost on the internet, crashed here
-


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:52 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 943
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
Easy there, Dr. Arrogance.


Quote:
First of all, there is no need for the personal attack. Second of all, there was nothing arrogant about my post. I'm just stating the facts. If you don't like facts, then that sucks for you.

Personal attack? How about playful jab? I thought you had thicker skin than that, Rich. Sorry! :cry:

Quote:
I don't know what line of work you are in, but I'm pretty sure we all know people who do whatever we do for a living who are "rotten apples." Cops are just people.


Quote:
Yes, they are. And many of them seem to forget that because they are in a position of authority. They forget that it is the taxpayers who pay their salaries.

Most people are not in a line of work where they can stick a person in a jail cell, so that is a silly comparison on your part.

Is it? Teachers, doctors, lawyers, air traffic controlers, clergy, mailmen... which line of work would you say it would be ok for people to abuse their position? I think it's a perfectly valid comparison.

Quote:
I find it offensive when people hate on cops because of the ignorant ones, because generally speaking they are good people who put their lives on the line every day to serve the community.


Quote:
And I find it offensive when people assume that what is on a police report is gospel. Cops REGULARLY add additional charges so that people have to pay more bail money to get out of jail.

And if you took the time to read my original comment carefully, you would see that I was very careful in my wording when expressing my opinion. I did not say all cops. I kept my comments specific to cops who abuse their power. And yes there are many. I see examples of this at least once a week.

If you took the time to read my original response, you would see that I didn't assume that the police report was gospel. I admit there are bad cops who behave unprofessionally, and maybe this is one of them. My point was not to assume, which, while you did not specifically accuse this cop of being one, your post was clearly slanted in that direction. Which, no doubt, you will choose to argue.

Quote:
Maybe it didn't cross your mind that I may have REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES that have led me to formalize the opinions I have.

Maybe it didn't. Having read your more detailed description of your experiences with Miami Dade cops, I can see clearly why you have the opinions you have. As I have reasons for taking the stand that I do, which you perhaps did not consider either. Here, at least, I have some sympathy for you. You got screwed, from the sound of it. Had that happened to me I would no doubt feel the same way. If you had my life experiences, you would no doubt have a different view as well.

The moral to the story is that we need to let the facts unfold before passing judgment, either on the police in this case or on Ronnie.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:54 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
Does anyone know the details? What was his blood alcohol level?


I think he passed the breathalyzer iirc, but didn't do well on the physical test. Could his injury have something to do with him not being able to walk a straight line?

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
The fact still stands that if they do have a couple drinks and drive, dont get all hollier than thou like you never did...

Dont even try and tell me I am the only one here that ever made a mistake in life?????

Seriously, there isnt one guy on this forum that had a couple drinks and then drove home???

Did I join the virgin christian dolphin fan forum?


You jsut lost a massive load of respect in my book. No, I have never drank and driven. I have never drank at all actually. Maybe I'm just holier than thou, but for real, get a life.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4677
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Oh forgive me... I had a drink once and then drove home...

I must have no life....

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
Oh forgive me... I had a drink once and then drove home...

I must have no life....


You're lucky you have one. It's people like you that think that "oh it's just a couple of drinks" and up being impaired and plow right into someone like my sister, taking her life.
Think before you speak, bucko.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:21 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 943
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Iowafin wrote:
10acjed wrote:
Oh forgive me... I had a drink once and then drove home...

I must have no life....


You're lucky you have one. It's people like you that think that "oh it's just a couple of drinks" and up being impaired and plow right into someone like my sister, taking her life.
Think before you speak, bucko.


I feel you, Iowa. I've been to 4 funerals for friends of mine killed by drunk drivers. Crazy, huh? I guess more to the point... think before you drink. It's not about being pure as the driven snow... Lord knows I'm not... it's about not being reckless with other people's lives.

10acjed, I've done it too, right? I just haven't since I started having to go to funerals. I got the point. I grew up. Nobody's blasting you for having made mistakes; just don't try to justify driving impaired. I'm sorry, there's no justification that works in light of what people like Iowa have experienced.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3755
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
The fact still stands that if they do have a couple drinks and drive, dont get all hollier than thou like you never did...

Dont even try and tell me I am the only one here that ever made a mistake in life?????

Seriously, there isnt one guy on this forum that had a couple drinks and then drove home???

Did I join the virgin christian dolphin fan forum?


What are you talking about? Please show me a holier than thou example on this thread.

Please don't even try and tell that when you make a mistake it is not a mistake.

Serioulsy, one guy on this forum doing this once as opposed to a life style you are encouraging are two different things. Once is all it takes to make a mistake you could regret the rest of your life.

What kind of forum do you think you joined? The one that encourages Dolphin players to drink and dirve and commit illegal acts that put other people's lives at risk and could end up with them in jail and suspended from the NFL.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
k-dash wrote:
Personal attack? How about playful jab?


Yes, do you need help with understanding what constitutes a personal attack? It is the act of insulting someone's character. It was completely unprovoked on your part and completely uncalled for. Plus you need to work on your communication skills if you feel that was supposed to come off as a playful jab.

Quote:
I thought you had thicker skin than that


Oh, please. Because I pointed out that you personally attacked me for absolutely no reason I now have thin skin? My concern in this case was not for my feelings, but rather for the tone the discussion will take when one person sees fit to personally attack another because they don't share that person's opinion.

Quote:
Is it? Teachers, doctors, lawyers, air traffic controlers, clergy, mailmen... which line of work would you say it would be ok for people to abuse their position? I think it's a perfectly valid comparison.


Do those people stick innocent people in a dirty, crowded jail cells with lowlifes, drug addicts, murderers, thieves etc just because they can and cause them to have to spend thousands of dollars in bail and legal fees just to clear their name? Do they arrest people and then treat them like crap without even knowing if they have a guilty person on their hands, stick them in the back of a squad car in the middle of a summer night, windows closed, sweating, with pepper spray on their face, with handcuffs that are on way too tight and cause bruising on their wrists? Talk to them like dogs?

You're kidding yourself if you want to compare a cop, a person of authority who has it in their power to apprehend you and potentially ruin the rest of your life whether you deserve it or not, just because they have a badge, to those others. It is not the same thing.

Sure, those professions can abuse their "power" in different ways, but in the end they probably do it less frequently and are eventually held accountable if caught.

Who catches a cop for the daily crap they pull on citizens? Our justice system is supposed to consider you innocent until proven guilty, but cops treat people as guilty.

Who is holding police accountable when they arrest the wrong person, treat them roughly and add crap to the arrest report just to make it more expensive for this person to exit out of jail? Are the police reimbursing the bond and legal feels of a person who is innocent?

The answer is no.

Quote:
As I have reasons for taking the stand that I do, which you perhaps did not consider either.


Where is this coming from? I'm not the one that personally attacked you and took umbrage with your point of view without first asking where your point of view stems from. You'll have to look in the mirror to see that guy.

Quote:
The moral to the story is that we need to let the facts unfold before passing judgment


And we (you) need to understand where the other person is coming from before personally attacking them and dismissing their point of view.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 am
Posts: 321
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:
And Rich just so you are aware there are many cops who despise the ones who act like a-holes.


I am sure there are. But in many districts, being a-holes and abusing power, being corrupt and "protecting our own" is part of the culture. And this comes from high up in the ranks.

I had a friend who got into the Metro-Dade PD and his first job was as a clerk in Internal Affairs. He quit a couple of months later because his conscience couldn't handle the amount of covering up that was going on in that place. Police policing police doesn't work.

I see cops regularly get to red lights, turn on their lights and sirens, stop traffic, cross the intersection and then turn their lights off when they get to the other side. In other words, they are abusing their power and don't really give a darn if people see them doing it. They do it with impunity.

I have personally been arrested by a police officer, gotten charged with battery on a LEO and resisting arrest with violence even though I did no such thing and about 3 or 4 other inaccurate charges. The charges were dismissed in court because I DID NOTHING WRONG, but hey the city got $1400 of my hard earned money in the process. I had to spend a night in county jail with lowlifes all because someone said I did something I didn't do. The best part is, even though I was being COOPERATIVE and I was already handcuffed on the sidewalk not even moving, one of the cops felt it was necessary to pepper spray me. I always thought that was saved for people who were being unruly. In the process, one of my friends also got arrested for asking what I was being arrested for. They tazered him and charged him with obstruction of justice. At no point did he put his hand on any of the officers or get in the way of them as they arrested me. He was simply asking why I was being arrested and telling the cops that I didn't do what they were accusing me of doing. I was lucky to have SEVERAL eye witnesses to back my story up.

I filed a complaint because of this incident, but because I didn't have any broken bones or "permanent" injuries, it was deemed that excessive force was not used on me. Nevermind the fact that I got put in a chokehold, pepper sprayed despite being 1000% cooperative once the cuffs were on and my friend got tazered for asking a question.

I know people who have had incidents where they were arrested and had charges put on the police report that were not accurate. Cops do this regularly to make the bail skyrocket. I saw COs beat up inmates at County who were complaining about the jail being too cold.

I also remember a story about a bunch of Miami cops who were running an underrage prostitution ring in the Herald a few years ago. That story completely disappeared. I kept looking for what the outcome was but nothing was ever reported. The story simply disappeared.

I have more than enough reasons to be distrustful of cops. Are there good cops? Absolutely. Never said otherwise if you and the personal attacking kneejerking fellow I replied to in another post read my post carefully. But there are enough bad cops out there to make the public mistrustful. And I do not blame them ONE BIT for this.


So your experiences make you narrow-minded enough to think that one (or a few) spoils over 650,000 other cops? You said it - "one rotten apple spoils the bunch."


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:02 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Dolfanrar wrote:
So your experiences make you narrow-minded enough to think that one (or a few) spoils over 650,000 other cops?


First I get called arrogant and now narrow-minded. Is that really necessary?

Should I question your reading capability because you don't seem to be grasping what I am saying?

And should I ask whether you are really gullible enough to believe that only one or a few of the 650,000 cops in America are bad apples? That I am the only person in America who has had these experiences with cops? Or maybe everyone that has had these experiences with cops has only had them with the same one or few cops in Miami despite living in different parts of the country? Maybe this one or few cops work many different cities and just happen to be the same guys doing these things to people, while the other 649,990 or so cops are examples of honor and integrity. Maybe it is the same one or few cops I see on a weekly basis turning their lights on at a red light and then turning them off after crossing the intersection and tying up traffic unnecessarily.

What a coincidence!

Should I ask if you have limited brain capacity because you are picking and choosing things I said to misinterpret what I am saying and take the conversation in a different direction than what I originally said? Or should I ask if you are simply trying to be disingenuous?

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:29 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Ronnie is one of the best character players Miami has, not to mention the leader and best player of that offense.

Like Dave said at the beginning of the thread, he deserves patience from us, and he'll probably come out with some sort of an apology, (unlike Will Allen who is pleading not quilty).


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Ask Rodney King how well cops treat suspects.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
Phins Rock wrote:
(unlike Will Allen who is pleading not quilty).


Perhaps he's pleading not guilty because he isn't guilty. Just a thought.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6118
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
10acjed wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
:) Too funny. Ronnie got stopped for not using a blinker. It appears he was given a road side sobriety.
Seriously, I haven't driven anywhere after drinking since I was a teen. It isn't worth the risk. Guy stops me for a blinker (its been done before) and I've had a couple, I lose my job.


Look personally I haven't had a drink in over 8 years, so to drink & drive is impossible...

I just find it strange that people see this as such a foreign concept...

Stop for a beer after work & go home... Have a glass of wine at the restaurant and go home etc...

Look I am not talking about doing shots of jack and beer chasers here, or being completely trashed.. 1 glass of wine or 1 16oz beer = DUI nowadays.....



Does anyone know the details? What was his blood alcohol level?


You're correct but a responsible individual needs to consider the cost. My hypothetical lost job in the previous scenario. Routine accidents, if there is such a thing, now become legal battles where you could lose everything you've ever worked for. 1 glass of wine or 1 beer may not sound like much but in a court case where folks have lost loved ones to DUI, you'll be lynched. I don't even risk it anymore. If I plan on drinking, I don't drive period. Just not worth it.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6118
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
eleaf wrote:
Ask Rodney King how well cops treat suspects.


Rodney King deserved to get beat. The guy was high on PCP and was attacking the police. Were the police over aggressive, sure but who wouldn't be in their situation. LA reduced its police force physical requirements to accommodate women. It used to be 6'0" 180lbs was the minimum size officer. It was reduced to 5'8" 135lbs. The largest officer on the scene was 140lbs. Rodney King was 6'4" 240lbs and high on PCP. Simply put, the officers didn't have the physical strength to subdue him and non-lethal force wasn't working (Tazers). The officers in fear of their very lives, pulled out the batons and tried to disable him. That's the part we see on tape and subsequently judge the LAPD on.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:48 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: ronnie brown arrested for suspicion of dui
eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
(unlike Will Allen who is pleading not quilty).


Perhaps he's pleading not guilty because he isn't guilty. Just a thought.


I have learned not to pass judgement until all the info is in, however, the fact that he stayed there more than 24 hours, (wasn't it 2 nights?), and that they gave him multiple tests that all came out way above the legal limit.....I mean, again, I'm not saying it with 100% certainty, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't guilty.


Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.