View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 RG Donald Thomas is not expected to regain his starting spot 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post RG Donald Thomas is not expected to regain his starting spot
Quote:
Dolphins OG Donald Thomas is not expected to regain his starting spot at right guard this offseason.

Thomas lost the coaching staff's confidence late last season, being sent to the bench in favor of Nate Garner. Wednesday's signing of Richie Incognito is further proof that Thomas has fallen out of favor.

www.rotoworld.com

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: RG Donald Thomas is not expected to regain his starting spot
I don't buy that at all.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

bottom line is that they are looking for some good competition at the OG spot, and whoever performs the best during offseason will get the first chance to start.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:20 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think the Incognito signing has everything to do with lighting a fire under Thomas' butt to return to the early promise that he showed. Either way strong competition is just going to ensure that we have a top quality guy starting at that position.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:42 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I think the Incognito signing has everything to do with a talented player being available for cheap, so we signed him to compete or for depth. It could apply to both Thomas and Smiley and maybe even Jake Grove, who are either always injured (in the case of Grove and Smiley) or are inconsistent (in the case of Thomas).

And this speculative posting by rotoworld as if it were fact is silly. They often do these things.

The fact is, we will have all of these guys competing for starting guard positions going into camp and may the best player win.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

catman_56 wrote:
I think the Incognito signing has everything to do with lighting a fire under Thomas' arse to return to the early promise that he showed. Either way strong competition is just going to ensure that we have a top quality guy starting at that position.
People need to remember that last year was basically Thomas's rookie year, since he missed his rookie year. The so called "Rookie Wall" may have been hit.

I cannot imagine Miami already giving up on a young player who has showed so much promise, because he wore down late in the season.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
I think the Incognito signing has everything to do with lighting a fire under Thomas' arse to return to the early promise that he showed. Either way strong competition is just going to ensure that we have a top quality guy starting at that position.
People need to remember that last year was basically Thomas's rookie year, since he missed his rookie year. The so called "Rookie Wall" may have been hit.

I cannot imagine Miami already giving up on a young player who has showed so much promise, because he wore down late in the season.

+1000000000000000

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I think the Incognito signing has everything to do with a talented player being available for cheap, so we signed him to compete or for depth. It could apply to both Thomas and Smiley and maybe even Jake Grove, who are either always injured (in the case of Grove and Smiley) or are inconsistent (in the case of Thomas).

And this speculative posting by rotoworld as if it were fact is silly. They often do these things.

The fact is, we will have all of these guys competing for starting guard positions going into camp and may the best player win.

Stating it as fact is silly to be sure.

That said, they wouldn't be looking to push Thomas if they had faith he could fill the starting role and play at a high level. Signing Incognito, a very good player, is more than just about depth. I too see it as a shot across Thomas' bow.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

eleaf wrote:
That said, they wouldn't be looking to push Thomas if they had faith he could fill the starting role and play at a high level. Signing Incognito, a very good player, is more than just about depth. I too see it as a shot across Thomas' bow.
Considering Smiley has been injured the past two years. It may be more of a we have better be looking for a replacement for him.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dphins4me wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

I can, simply because last yr was soo bad in their eyes that no one outside of Big Jake is guaranteed anything heading into OTA's and Training Camp.

And we struck gold with Cam Wake, keep an eye on the three CFL imports this year, Grice Mullins and Dimitri Tsoumpas and Rolly Lumbala.

Incognito is a Bic lighter, his contract is so cheap they can cut him at any time.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

Very good point! And I think Thomas will respond properly. The Incognito signing also should light fires for Garner, Smiley, and even Grove from getting too comfortable. As Incognito can backup both guard positions and center too!

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]