View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Henne proclaims Tebow 'not an NFL QB' 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Henne proclaims Tebow 'not an NFL QB'
Quote:
There has been no shortage of belittling comments about Tim Tebow's future as an NFL quarterback. Previously, derision came exclusively from analysts, fans and journalists.

On Wednesday, an NFL quarterback dismissed Tebow as his peer.

Miami Dolphins starter Chad Henne spoke up during an interview with local sports-radio station WQAM. Hosts Curtis Stevenson and Anita Marks asked Henne what he thought of the University of Florida demigod.

"My judgment is that he's not an NFL quarterback," Henne said, his words trailing off into a mumble as though he realized he shouldn't be uttering them. "So I'll leave it at that."

What makes Henne's bold statement even more noteworthy is that Tebow's agent is Jimmy Sexton, who also represents Dolphins football operations boss Bill Parcells, head coach Tony Sparano and a few Dolphins players.

Henne's quarterbacks coach, David Lee, worked with Tebow at the Senior Bowl. The Dolphins' staff coached the South team this year.

Henne touched on a few other topics. Most notably, he spoke about the Dolphins' decision to re-sign veteran Chad Pennington as his backup and the widely held belief they need a receiver with big-play capabilities.

On Pennington's return:

"I always knew that they were going to bring in a veteran person. What greater veteran than Chad Pennington? I worked with him for two years now. He's always been a great mentor to me. I love having him back because I've learned so much from him. It's great to compete against him."

On how frequently Dolfans mention the need for another receiver:

"I hear it all the time, but you know what? Our wide receivers from last year, towards the end of the season, really improved. We threw for, in a couple games, over 300 yards. You know, we're very young.

"Yeah, we need that veteran guy to come in here and teach those young guys, but I think we're only going to keep getting better with the young guys."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11724/henne-proclaims-tebow-not-an-nfl-qb

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Henne proclaims Tebow 'not an NFL QB'
Chad Henne wrote:
"I hear it all the time, but you know what? Our wide receivers from last year, towards the end of the season, really improved. We threw for, in a couple games, over 300 yards. You know, we're very young.

I am not unhappy with our receivers, but I think what we lack is a #1 WR. Add one of those and you'll see all of our receivers and our passing game improve. No one denies Brees' greatness, but that offense wouldn't have been as good without Marques Colston.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If Henne can stop throwing so many interceptions at crunch time then we do not need another WR.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Look, Henne has a right to his opinion. But let's be honest here. Chad Henne has started 14 NFL games and thrown 14 interceptions to 12 touchdowns. Henne himself has not yet proven he is an NFL quarterback, either.

Furthermore, if he thinks Tebow isn't an NFL quarterback, what would Henne say about teammate Pat White?

Tebow is a bigger, stronger, more accomplished Pat White. And if Tebow isn't an NFL quarterback doesn't that mean White isn't an NFL quarterback?

Actually, enough wasn't said. How about a follow-up question to allow Henne a chance to explain himself and perhaps even get himself off the hook? It doesn't have to be confrontational. How about:

"What are the reasons you have that opinion?"

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rback.html

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Hell, Peyton Manning has even come out and made a pitch for Tebow.
“I think he’s going to have a good NFL career. I certainly would be careful putting odds against him,” said Manning, who is in the market for a new backup. ”The guy is competitive. A guy with his kind of strength and character, any NFL team would be lucky to have Tebow as a quarterback. Not any other position but quarterback.
The Colts could use a young, promising quarterback to groom as Manning’s possible successor, and most talent evaluators are convinced Tebow needs a season or two to adjust to the NFL game.
When speaking about Tebow during Super Bowl week, Manning hinted the Colts could use him immediately.
“With all the problems we’ve had on third-and-1, fourth-and-1, short yardage, I’d take him in a heartbeat. He’s probably 100 percent in his career on converting those,” Manning said. “I’ve seen him make a lot of [NFL] throws. He’s done a lot of damage to Tennessee over the years. I’m not disappointed to see him graduate from the University of Florida."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:11 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Look, Henne has a right to his opinion. But let's be honest here. Chad Henne has started 14 NFL games and thrown 14 interceptions to 12 touchdowns. Henne himself has not yet proven he is an NFL quarterback, either.

my exact thoughts. henne needs to stop talking crap and go out and perform like a starting nfl qb.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Henne is certainly deserving of his opinion. First off, it wasn't his fault that he got yanked for a guy to run one wildcat play in the middle of a very good offensive drives. Secondly, What does it say about the coaching staff who puts Pat White in on a couple of plays per game that IMHO doesn't warrant it. Or, is it because they need to justify picking White in the second round.

I don't think the message was to anyone but to the FO. If you look deeper, I think he is telling everyone that Tebow is Tebow but has a lot longer way to go then most accomplished QB's coming out of college and he's speaking from personal experience.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He was asked a question and answered it. While his opinion may be shared by many he could have dodged such a blunt answer. Now people will look at him as arrogant and if Tebow succeeds it will be thrown in his face time and time again (especially if Henne faulters).

Have to say I lost a bit of respect for him on this one. He hasn't proven much himself so its a bit premature for him to be commenting on who can and cannot succeed in the NFL.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:04 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

rhoads30 wrote:
Quote:

my exact thoughts. henne needs to stop talking crap and go out and perform like a starting nfl qb.

Then everyone on these forums has to perform like a starting NFL QB before opining on other QBs as well.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

not everyone on these forums plays at a professional level as henne.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile WWW

rhoads30 wrote:
not everyone on these forums plays at a professional level as henne.

Not everyone on these forums does?

How about no one on these forums does....

And you miss my point.

Henne actually plays QB. He has more of a right to opine on other players than a bunch of computer geeks on a forum. Therefore, if Henne can't comment, why should we?

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i wasnt being being sarcastic or anything. and i never said he couldnt comment. i just said he should stop talking crap and go perform a tad bit better before saying mr tebow is not an nfl qb.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I found Henny's response to that question a bit surprising but considering last years Pat White pick and that the Dolphins QB coach spent extra time with Tebow helping him out maybe he is worried about a similar pick this year. lol

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:
Quote:

Then everyone on these forums has to perform like a starting NFL QB before opining on other QBs as well.

LOL. Perfect, classic Rich. Well said.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:51 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

On a related note, anyone else tired of Tebow stories?

Do we need him analyzed by EVERYONE?

Personally, I'm waiting for Ryan Leaf's opinion of him before I pass judgment.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:54 pm

rhoads30 wrote:
i wasnt being being sarcastic or anything. and i never said he couldnt comment. i just said he should stop talking crap and go perform a tad bit better before saying mr tebow is not an nfl qb.

Ok so you stop talking crap about him talking about until you perform a tad bit better as an NFL QB.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Henne actually plays QB. He has more of a right to opine on other players than a bunch of computer geeks on a forum. Therefore, if Henne can't comment, why should we?

I agree with you and its unfair that fans can say whatever they want and get away with it while players have to be PC. But that is what separates them from us. I think Henne could have avoided any controversy and just said something like "he has a great work ethic and I know he'll work hard to help his team." I just would have a little more respect for him if he took the high road on that one.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

Ok so you stop talking crap about him talking about until you perform a tad bit better as an NFL QB.

so you have never criticized a player for his poor performance?

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
Rich wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

That's not the point...the point is, you can't criticize a player for criticizing a player when you're not a player yourself. It's hypocritical.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 pm

rhoads30 wrote:
Rich wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

All the time. I don't criticize players for giving their opinion of other players.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

jammer wrote:
I just would have a little more respect for him if he took the high road on that one.

That I agree with.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

After losing to Appalchian State & Oregon in 07 I did not think Henne would be a NFL QB as well. But he & Michigan regrouped that season to have a decent year , even beating Florida of all teams in a bowl game. I aslo did not think Sanchez would be successful in his first pro season after a limited number of college starts but he was. Im not sure if Tebow will be Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning or somewhere in between but honestly it is way to early for anyone to pass judgement. He seems to be doing all the right things to change his play to be more adaptable to the pro game. Henne is certainly qualified to give his opinion. Maybe there is some ill will beyween them from the college days. Tebow will get his shot to prove him wrong.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 am

FINesse wrote:
After losing to Appalchian State & Oregon in 07 I did not think Henne would be a NFL QB as well. But he & Michigan regrouped that season to have a decent year , even beating Florida of all teams in a bowl game. I aslo did not think Sanchez would be successful in his first pro season after a limited number of college starts but he was. Im not sure if Tebow will be Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning or somewhere in between but honestly it is way to early for anyone to pass judgement. He seems to be doing all the right things to change his play to be more adaptable to the pro game. Henne is certainly qualified to give his opinion. Maybe there is some ill will beyween them from the college days. Tebow will get his shot to prove him wrong.

Sanchez had a terrible first season. His team won IN SPITE of him.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:01 am

Over the years we as Dolphin fans always gave a learning curve to our young QB's forgiving them for their mistakes in their early years because they were young. Whether Sanchez had a good or bad year the fact that his team went as far as they did you have to deem that as successful. Although he is a Jet you ahve to afford Sanchez that curve as well. If he was a Dolphin & he played the way he did while going to the championship game I guarantee we would all be excited in spite of his play. I dont know the future for him .. like Henne the jury is still out. But back to the topic on hand .... Tebow will fall under these same categories. Would be real intersting if he goes to the Bills .... Sanchez , Henne & Tebow in the same division.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 am

FINesse wrote:
Over the years we as Dolphin fans always gave a learning curve to our young QB's forgiving them for their mistakes in their early years because they were young. Whether Sanchez had a good or bad year the fact that his team went as far as they did you have to deem that as successful. Although he is a Jet you ahve to afford Sanchez that curve as well. If he was a Dolphin & he played the way he did while going to the championship game I guarantee we would all be excited in spite of his play. I dont know the future for him .. like Henne the jury is still out. But back to the topic on hand .... Tebow will fall under these same categories. Would be real intersting if he goes to the Bills .... Sanchez , Henne & Tebow in the same division.

My commentary on Sanchez is not in any way impacted by whether he is a Jet or not. You should know me better than that.

He played on a team with a great defense and great running game that basically "hid" him. The kid had 12 TDs and 20 INTs.

If your team goes to the Superbowl but your cornerback gets smoked regularly, do you deem his individual season successful?

I don't care if he is a Dolphins QB or a Jets QB, if he puts up those numbers his first year, I don't call it successful.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:

My commentary on Sanchez is not in any way impacted by whether he is a Jet or not. You should know me better than that.

He played on a team with a great defense and great running game that basically "hid" him. The kid had 12 TDs and 20 INTs.

If your team goes to the Superbowl but your cornerback gets smoked regularly, do you deem his individual season successful?

I don't care if he is a Dolphins QB or a Jets QB, if he puts up those numbers his first year, I don't call it successful.

Word, 12 TDs and 20 INTS are like a water downed Brett Favre or something. I think Mark Dirty is okay. maybe a little below average. But he can certainly improve if coached right. Eating the hotdog on the sideline was funny regardless of him being a jet. Lol.

Our future is only as strong as the weakness we come from.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]