View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Why The Miami Dolphins Should Take a Look at Darren Sharper 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Why The Miami Dolphins Should Take a Look at Darren Sharper
I was actually surprised that Darren Sharper was available last year and we didn't go after him. I know that he is looking for a big payday to close out his career, but his age seems to be the reasons why Miami isn't going after him.

Thoughts?

Bleacher Report wrote:
While with the New Orleans Saints last season, Sharper revitalized his career with 71 tackles, 15 passes defended, nine interceptions, and three defensive touchdowns. He went to the Pro Bowl and served as the anchor of the Saints defense.

Without him, its arguable New Orleans wouldn't have made their unlikely Super Bowl run. That's how much of a difference he makes.

So why isn't Miami going after him?

At 34-years-old he can't be the long-term answer at safety, but there's no denying he still has life in those legs. There aren't many guys who bring his level of tackling, ball hawking, and straight-up play-making to the table.

New Orleans appears to be his first choice for next season, but that doesn't mean his mind can't be changed for the right price. With 2010 being an uncapped year, the time is right to spend a little extra for players of his caliber.

If the Dolphins don't address this need in free agency, that means either second-year safety Chris Clemons or a rookie draft pick will likely start at free safety next season. That may turn out to be a good thing, but it's a gamble nonetheless.

If that doesn't work out, the secondary will be exposed all season just like it was a year ago.

Bringing in Sharper quells those concerns, at least for a little while. He would instantly provide a major upgrade to the unit, not to mention provide some seriously needed veteran experience.

With Sharper on board, Miami would have the luxury of bringing a draft pick along slowly rather than throwing them to the wolves on day one. That kind of pressure can crush a player; just look at Jason Allen.

The move makes sense anyway you look at it. A two or three-year deal at a reasonable cost would probably get it done.

If Miami lets themselves head into the draft with this issue, they'll be walking a dangerous line. If that draft pick doesn't produce right away, the team will have a season-long headache at the position.

On the other hand, Sharper would provide season-long relief. At the very least, the Dolphins need to explore this possibility or possibly come to regret it.

Bleacher Report

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Why The Miami Dolphins Should Take a Look at Darren Sharper
I would say that age is probably the biggest factor, especially when you are talking about DB's.

He certainly had a great year last year, but I would imagine some teams will wonder when his play does finally decline due to his age.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

sign him and draft a young'n to mold into place

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IMHO this should be a no brainer. One or two year deal with some pretty sizeable up front money should do the trick.

Sharper played at a very high level last year. Could he decline? Yes, but the way he's played over the years you have to ask yourself is his rate of decline still significantly better then our present option at FS? I think his play has already spoken. If we brought in Sharper that would give us one maybe two more years to get someone in for the future. Sharper at 34 is a whole lot better than wilson was at 28. So whats the problem.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would have no issue with signing him to a one year deal, but like I said earlier, teams will look at his age and he is coming off of minor knee surgery.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]