View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Early returns from Florida's Pro Day 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Early returns from Florida's Pro Day
Joe Haden has bounced back and ran 4.4 40 and some had him clocked as low as a 4.3.

Brandon Spikes ran what some had rumored him to possibly run, in the 5 second range. He ran a 5.02 and a 5.08 unoffically.

This is going to push Spikes well into the 2nd round and it really would not surprise me to see him drop to the 3rd round. He would be a nice value pick for the Dolphins at that point.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Early returns from Florida's Pro Day
Brandon Spikes official times were 4.99 and 5.03. Only Micah Johnson ran a slower time from the combines and he ran a 4.83 at his pro day at Kentucky.

This could possibly push Spikes into the 3rd round. That being said, Spikes makes plays and is a thumper with an attitude. I believe he would be great value in the 3rd round.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Was he out of shape or what? Some guys just don't run a 40 time very well...but I know some high school tight ends that can run a 5.1 40 time
What were his split times? If he was able to explode through 10 yards and just run out of gas for the next 30, I'd say he needs some conditioning work....if he was slow getting to even 10, I'd say that's a concern going forward for him.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
Was he out of shape or what? Some guys just don't run a 40 time very well...but I know some high school tight ends that can run a 5.1 40 time
What were his split times? If he was able to explode through 10 yards and just run out of gas for the next 30, I'd say he needs some conditioning work....if he was slow getting to even 10, I'd say that's a concern going forward for him.

He's just a slow player. On the field, 40 time...he's the same guy.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

wow, he couldnt break a 5.0 on the 40! you cant play ILB at the next level running that slow. there are 300lbs+ linemen that run faster than him. ill cya in the 3rd round or later!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Brandon Spikes gave hmself some extra time to try to prepare to run the 40 as he did not run at the combine. His times do not surprise scouts, as it was speculated that he would have a hard time breaking 5 seconds.

He is just not a fast LB and he is stiff in his movement as well. But as I have said with Spikes, he makes plays an has shown himself to have very good instincts on the field. He a very good blizing LB and he makes plays in the passing game as he has multiple interception returns for TD.

I would plug him in over Channing Crowder right now.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

maybe when channing was hurt. he couldnt keep up with the OL on a screen pass in the NFL.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

There is such a thing as guys that run blazing 40 times, but play at there timed speeds. Spikes did not run a fast 40 time at all, but don't let his time in the 40 confuse the fact that this is a very good ILB and plays faster than he is timed in a 40 in pads.

And once again, I will take him over Channing Crowder now. Crowder is not a playmaker and this kid is. 31.5 tackles for lost, 5.5 sacks, 14 PBU and 6 interceptions with 4 returned for TD out of the MLB position is pretty solid.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
There is such a thing as guys that run blazing 40 times, but play at there timed speeds. Spikes did not run a fast 40 time at all, but don't let his time in the 40 confuse the fact that this is a very good ILB and plays faster than he is timed in a 40 in pads.

Well which is it? Phins Rock said he's a slow player too.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock has his opinion and I have mine. My opinion is that Spikes is a good football player regardless of his slow 40 time.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock has his opinion and I have mine. My opinion is that Spikes is a good football player regardless of his slow 40 time.

Well I would think playing fast is not an opinion but rather a fact. But that's just my opinion I guess.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

SC I was with you until you said that you would plug him in over Crowder right now.

I am not a fan of Spikes at all. Like I've said before, I think Parcells will fall in love with the nastiness that he has in his game. He naturally despises the opponent.

However, I don't see it from him physically. Like you said, he is stiff in his movement both laterally, and up the field. In addition to that, his 40 yard time is pretty indicitive of his gameday speed. He's just not fast, he's not quick, and nothing close to either.

To me, he is a strong, physical, nasty ILB and has all those types of qualities, but he just lacks the athletic ability to play at a high level, especially in the 34 which calls for great athleticism. If he's there in the 3rd, he's worth a shot, but even then I think it depends who is available.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
SC I was with you until you said that you would plug him in over Crowder right now.

Lol..but you said he was slow, SC said he was fast...but you were with him until that?

You reiterated it in your post...what exactly is it that you were with SC on?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Lol..but you said he was slow, SC said he was fast...but you were with him until that?

Rich?

I guess I meant to say I agreed with what he said in his first couple of sentences.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

So...you agree that Spikes plays fast?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Brandon Spikes gave hmself some extra time to try to prepare to run the 40 as he did not run at the combine. His times do not surprise scouts, as it was speculated that he would have a hard time breaking 5 seconds.

He is just not a fast LB and he is stiff in his movement as well. But as I have said with Spikes, he makes plays an has shown himself to have very good instincts on the field. He a very good blizing LB and he makes plays in the passing game as he has multiple interception returns for TD.

I would plug him in over Channing Crowder right now.

I wouldn't plug in any college player who hasn't seen even a single NFL practice before any guy who is a starter in the NFL. Especially a guy who just ran a very slow 5+ second 40 time from a position where he shouldn't be that slow.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
I wouldn't plug in any college player who hasn't seen even a single NFL practice before any guy who is a starter in the NFL.

So you would never start a rookie...ever.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
eleaf wrote:
I wouldn't plug in any college player who hasn't seen even a single NFL practice before any guy who is a starter in the NFL.

Is that really what you read?

Your question, had you actually read my comment, should be "So you would never start a guy who has yet to be selected by an NFL team and has never had a practice as an NFL player . . . ever."

To which my answer would be a resounding yes. I would never start a guy who has not had an NFL practice above an established NFL starter.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

What I said was Spikes plays quicker than his 40 time. Jerry Rice was a 4.6 out of college, but he was more than fast enough to be probably the greatest WR to play the game. Obviously Spikes ran a slow 40 time.

eleaf, sure you would need to see the kid in an NFL practice and preseason games, but my money would be on Spikes to beat Crowder out.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i know rice ran an average 40 time, but not being able to run below a 5 as an ILB is troublesome...

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

rhoads30, running a 4.99 and 5.03 40 will cause Spikes stock to drop dramatically. After the college season was over, this kid was a projected 1st round pick, but I started reading about concerns about his speed early this year. He will now drop probably into the 3rd round, maybe even the 4th.

Still, you have plenty of game tape on this kid playing in NC games, playing against competition in the best conference in the nation in the SEC. The kid makes plays. You can't overlook what you see on film and get enamored with a player because of what he does in the combine.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:40 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich?

Why is my name being brought into this Gaytor thread?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
eleaf wrote:

Is that really what you read?

Your question, had you actually read my comment, should be "So you would never start a guy who has yet to be selected by an NFL team and has never had a practice as an NFL player . . . ever."

To which my answer would be a resounding yes. I would never start a guy who has not had an NFL practice above an established NFL starter.

So what you're saying, is that you wouldn't start a guy if he missed all of training camp and the preseason? Seems obvious....but that was the point you were trying to make?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:19 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

If he can't bust 5 in the 40 he'll be a bust in the NFL. The LB's have to cover screens, TE's and scat backs that can all clip faster than 4.7. It wouldn't surprise me to see him drop down to day 2 with those kinds of times. Life's hard when a banged up LT can out-race you to the sideline.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Rich?

Why is my name being brought into this Gaytor thread?

Your name is always brought into anything Gay related. :embarrassed:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Iowafin wrote:

*badum chhhhhhhhhh*

The name of that emoticon is "embarrassed", and that is exactly how you should feel after actually submitting such an original and witty joke.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

*badum chhhhhhhhhh*

The name of that emoticon is "embarrassed", and that is exactly how you should feel after actually submitting such an original and witty joke.

:grin:

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:41 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

yeah i agree, he will definitely drop to the 3rd or 4th. but look at jason allen. he played in the sec also. and im a big vols fan, i watched almost each game and the kid was great.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Jason has been moved around an awful lot. I thought he looked good at safety in the games he played in his early career. Also, there is a question about Jason smarts, and no matter how good the conference you play in, if you can not learn the defense, it does not matter how talented you are.

Brandon Spikes could end up only being a 2 down LB because of his speed, but I saw the kid play a lot because I live here in South Carolina. He is a good football player.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

he would be better suited on the DE imo

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
Brandon Spikes could end up only being a 2 down LB because of his speed, but I saw the kid play a lot because I live here in South Carolina. He is a good football player.

I was thinking the same thing.......as a 2 down ILB he may be ok? if he's there in round 4 then why not give him a shot?

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

keebler_kahn wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.......as a 2 down ILB he may be ok? if he's there in round 4 then why not give him a shot?

I'll tell you why not, because with your 4th rounder you could get an every down player.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Iowafin wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I'll tell you why not, because with your 4th rounder you could get an every down player.

Like this guy...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

OR THIS GUY!! (:15 seconds)

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins, Micah Johnson ran a 4.99 at the combine and had a slightly better time at his Pro Day at Kentucky when he ran a 4.86.

I still think Micah will drop into the 6th round. Brandon Spikes will go in round 3 or 4 because he has been a 3 down linebacker, despite his pedestrian 40 time.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:33 am

6th round SC?? I don't think he gets passed the 3rd.

Remember, this draft has very few true 34 ILB's.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins, Micah Johnson ran a 4.99 at the combine and had a slightly better time at his Pro Day at Kentucky when he ran a 4.86.

I still think Micah will drop into the 6th round. Brandon Spikes will go in round 3 or 4 because he has been a 3 down linebacker, despite his pedestrian 40 time.

Micah is also running on a bad knee he injured in his bowl game. His 40 times now are skewed. The kid is a thumper and made for the 3-4 set as an ILB.

I would jumo for joy if we got Micah.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]