View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Nose tackle search might focus on Owens 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Nose tackle search might focus on Owens
Quote:
The Dolphins' need at nose tackle is clear to anyone with eyes but while much of the attention has centered around bigger-name prospects such as Dan Williams and Cam Thomas, a source tells me the Dolphins are looking in a different direction.

Think Jeff Owens of Georgia.

The Dolphins' coaching staff liked him in the Senior Bowl, interviewed him during the Indianapolis Combine and has now scheduled a visit to Davie in the coming weeks, the source said.

Owens is a typical refrigerator-bodied nose tackle type -- 6-1 1/4 and 305 pounds -- with superhuman strength. He benched 225 pounds an impressive 44 times at the Combine with one witness saying he looked like an engine piston raising the weight fast and easy early on in the process.

During the University of Georgia Pro Day on Tuesday Owens ran a 4.83 in the 40-yard dash.

Owens is not a first-round type. He's probably more a fifth-rounder type, maybe later.

That doesn't matter to Bill Parcells. In 1997 Parcells selected a little-known Georgia nose tackle in the seventh-round (229th overall) and has been very happy with him since. The draftee's name?

Jason Ferguson.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0iQmw69wM

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Nose tackle search might focus on Owens
I really don't think we'll go NT in the first round.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Neither do I, with talk of williams inconsistency and our bigger needs now at Safety and OLB I think there is too much talent at those positions at #12 not to go that route. However, I was hoping we would go for Myron Rolle, gotta love that kid. But our FO knows what we need in order to win so I trust them

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:12 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

My only worry with this is that we wait too long and do not end up with a decent nose tackle. If the FO thinks he is the one to target and we are able to go best player available while filling needs prior to picking him then we will be that much better off. I hate to focus on one or two positions while passing up better players at other positions throughout the draft.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Does this surprise anyone? I'll repeat that I would support a Dan Williams pick in the first round, but it wouldnt be jaw dropping to see them target someone else much later. The same goes for the WR need.

Last year they grabbed two wideouts I had never heard of in the middle rounds. The jury is still out on Turner, but Hartline has a real shot to be the number two WR this year. The brass identified his skill set and made their move.

I dont want to get this thread off topic, but I'm still predicting they grab Eric Decker in the later rounds and getting Owens in the 4th-5th (if they get the Comp pick) wouldnt shock me either. They need to revamp the LB corp and dont forget that there are concerns with guard and safety. Perhaps those areas are addressed early.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:59 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I saw the article on Jeff Owens and he does seem to fit what Parcells likes in a NT, undersized but strong.

I am also starting to lean away from NT in the 1st round and believe Miami will not look to address the position to the middle rounds. That being said, they do need to address the position.

Earl Thomas at #12 is gaining a lot of momentum, and obviously the OLB position and Brandon Graham comes into play there also. Plus, I think Parcells could surprise everybody and take Dez Bryant at #12.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Mike Neal, the DT from Purdue is another guy that was at the Senior Bowl and was impressive in the game and there is talk of Miami possibly looking at him also.

6'3, 295 lbs, he did 31 reps at 225 lbs, so he is thought to have enough power and has shown in film that he can handle a double team to warrant the consideration.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Very interesting. Could be smoke.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:19 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Could be ggippo, but Parcells has drafted DT and converted them to NT, as we know about Jason Ferguson from his days with the Jets and Jay Ratliff from his time at Dallas.

Not massive men, but strong, quick, able to get some penetration and hold up against the double team. Both late round picks.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't see it...Miami may be thinking of getting someone in the 3rd or later, but Jeff Owens? For a defense that had Jones at safety and Curran at linebacker but was still terrible, I'd think that the middle had to be at fault for their woes....meaning that the DLine was nothing impressive.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Mike Neal, the DT from Purdue is another guy that was at the Senior Bowl and was impressive in the game

I think a lot of the North's defensive line success had a lot to do with the South's offensive line terribleness. Everyone getting excited about Brandon Graham wreaking havoc, and anybody else that played well need to go back to tapes on those players because I don't think that game said so much about their ability, but lack thereof for the South's Oline.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
I don't see it...Miami may be thinking of getting someone in the 3rd or later, but Jeff Owens? For a defense that had Jones at safety and Curran at linebacker but was still terrible, I'd think that the middle had to be at fault for their woes....meaning that the DLine was nothing impressive.

A defensive line is made up for 3-4 guys, not one.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Iowafin wrote:

So decisions should be made on speculation and assumptions rather than analysis and factual information?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Mike Neal, the DT from Purdue is another guy that was at the Senior Bowl and was impressive in the game

I think a lot of the North's defensive line success had a lot to do with the South's offensive line terribleness. Everyone getting excited about Brandon Graham wreaking havoc, and anybody else that played well need to go back to tapes on those players because I don't think that game said so much about their ability, but lack thereof for the South's Oline.

Brandon Graham's body of work as a whole is very impressive, as the kid has 29.5 career sacks at Michigan. I was high on Brandon before the Senior Bowl.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

So decisions should be made on speculation and assumptions rather than analysis and factual information?

What? I never said that. I said I don't see it and then stated why. I have not seen tape of Jeff Owens, so based on what I know, that is what I think.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Sure, but you've seen how one guy can make a defensive line, right? Jason Taylor made Miami's other end look great for years...look at all the guys they were able to plug in and have be a success and then dump. Albert Haynesworth leaving Tennessee took that defensive line from dominating to subpar. Jared Allen turned Minnesota from good to great. Reggie White elevated GB to a Super Bowl.
Point is, if Owens were anything impressive, wouldn't you think he'd have elevated the play of a defense that gave up 24 points a game?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Iowafin wrote:
I have not seen tape of Jeff Owens

Exactly.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Exactly.

Exactly what? Georgia's defense was bad. I need to watch tape on Jeff Owens in order to comment on this thread or what?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Scouting Report: Jeff Owens

Draft Projection: Late Rounder

Strengths
Owens is a long-time contributor to a great Georgia defense. He made a lot of plays in his tenure as starting DT in their 4-3 defense. He is a typical ‘jack-of-all-trades’ type of player where he does everything well but isn’t particularly great in one area. He anchors well in the run game and doesn’t get pushed back very often. He also can push the pocket and recorded several QB pressures in his career. Isn’t great at shooting a gap to get in the backfield but he holds his ground and is good at controlling his gap.

Weaknesses
Isn’t very tall, but he is very proportionate with his weight. At times, he was caught trying to do too much and got out of his gap assignment. Struggles to disengage from a blocker and make a tackle. Plays too high at times – he needs to learn to play under his pads a little bit better and really punch up into the opponent’s chest to drive him back. Missed almost all of the 2008 season with a knee injury, so that could worry some teams because of the position he plays.

Analysis
Has good enough measurables to be a good rotation DT in a 4-3 defense that wants to use him mainly as a quick, run stopping DT. If he was taller, he’d have a chance as a 3-4 End but he most likely doesn’t have the arm length (32 3/4″) a team is looking for. Probably won’t make a huge impact or be a playmaker but he’ll do what he’s asked and could be a leader in the locker room since he was named defensive co-captain his senior year.

Experience
Owens has started every game as a senior, sophomore and appeared in every game as a true freshman. Owens was slated to start his junior season but suffered a season ending knee injury.

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-jeff-owens

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Exactly.

Exactly what? Georgia's defense was bad. I need to watch tape on Jeff Owens in order to comment on this thread or what?

You are making assumptions about a player you haven't seen play because he played on a bad defense.

Using your line of thinking, I will assume Randy Starks is a bad player.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
JEFF OWENS
6-foot-1 - 304 pounds - Georgia
Drew notice at the Scouting Combine by amassing 44 bench-press repetitions, which was second among all players and first among defenders ... Added six pounds to his frame between the Senior Bowl and Combine ... Missed all but one quarter of the 2008 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered early in the season opener; he recovered and posted 13 quarterback pressures and four tackles for losses as a senior.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/ ... cb5dbdbc06

Quote:
Owens is coming off a solid 2009 season after missing all but one game in 2008 with a knee injury. Owens is a short, squatty built but strong interior defender that is more of a run stopper than pass rusher. He can anchor well when he keeps his pads down but needs to improve his hand use to disengage quicker to the ball. Owens needs an expanded pass rush package to be effective at the next level but has the natural power to push the pocket. Owens is a tough hard-nosed lineman that has some athletic limitations but his intangibles (motor, leadership qualities) gives him a great chance to contribute in his rookie season.

Owens has the natural strength, bulk and strength that can’t be taught. He displays impressive toughness and willingness to play through injuries. Competitive player who will fight to the whistle. Possesses impressive leadership qualities and was a team leader at Georgia.

Despite good bulk, Owens lacks ideal height. Lacks the necessary endurance to be a consistent, every-down player. Hand use needs some polish. Will likely come out for better pass rushers on third down. Plays with inconsistent pad level and can struggle anchoring at the point of attack.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/ ... b-overview

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Sure, but you've seen how one guy can make a defensive line, right? Jason Taylor made Miami's other end look great for years...look at all the guys they were able to plug in and have be a success and then dump. Albert Haynesworth leaving Tennessee took that defensive line from dominating to subpar. Jared Allen turned Minnesota from good to great. Reggie White elevated GB to a Super Bowl.
Point is, if Owens were anything impressive, wouldn't you think he'd have elevated the play of a defense that gave up 24 points a game?

Your comparing him to the best pass rusher of all time, the best pass rusher of this generation, and the most dominant DT a lot of people have ever seen play.

He's a run stuffing DT that played in a 43 system. Unless you are an Albert Haynesworth, it's very hard for a DT in a 43 to make a big impact. Much less single handedly turn around a defense playing in the best conference in college football.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Your comparing him to the best pass rusher of all time, the best pass rusher of this generation, and the most dominant DT a lot of people have ever seen play..

I'm not comparing him to them, it's just that you said a dline is made up of 3-4 players, and I was just saying that one guy can change a defensive line....
I'll use lesser examples. Jason Ferguson goes down, and Miami's D goes from run stopping to stop nothing.

I guess I'm just saying that if Owens were anything to get excited about, wouldn't Georgia's defense be at least mediocre?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Unless you are an Albert Haynesworth, it's very hard for a DT in a 43 to make a big impact. Much less single handedly turn around a defense playing in the best conference in college football.

That is a good point about the SEC being the best conference....but I will argue that the dominance in that conference is on the defensive side of the ball. Florida and Arkansas are probably the only offensive juggernauts.

Regardless of 43 or 34, DT's are vital to a defense. John Randle made some hay as a 43 DT, Tim Bowens, Warren Sapp....there are more than just Albert Haynesworth.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Your comparing him to the best pass rusher of all time, the best pass rusher of this generation, and the most dominant DT a lot of people have ever seen play..

I'm not comparing him to them, it's just that you said a dline is made up of 3-4 players, and I was just saying that one guy can change a defensive line....
I'll use lesser examples. Jason Ferguson goes down, and Miami's D goes from run stopping to stop nothing.

I guess I'm just saying that if Owens were anything to get excited about, wouldn't Georgia's defense be at least mediocre?

According to the article, you could have said the same thing about Mr. Ferguson 13 years ago.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

According to the article, you could have said the same thing about Mr. Ferguson 13 years ago.

Um...no you couldn't. The article was referencing that Ferguson was projected to go late and also played for Georgia.

However, Georgia's defense gave up 14 ppg. 2009 Bulldogs gave up 26....

See the difference?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Using your line of thinking, I will assume Randy Starks is a bad player.

Really? Miami gave up 26 ppg while having an excellent OLB and safety?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Um...no you couldn't. The article was referencing that Ferguson was projected to go late and also played for Georgia.

See the difference?

Whatever.

BTW, the Bulldogs only allowed 3.4 yards per rush...that's pretty darn good, and a number that's more pertinant to Owens than the team's PPG stat.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

See the difference?

Whatever.

BTW, the Bulldogs only allowed 3.4 yards per rush...that's pretty darn good, and a number that's more pertinant to Owens than the team's PPG stat.

Phins Rock wins this one easily.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't think this guy would be bad at all (in a later round). Every year it seems like tons of these guys come out and never amount to anything, just as I am certain several of this years top DL will not become good pros. This guy has very impressive physical numbers and a great mentor in Jason Ferguson to learn from.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

See the difference?

Whatever.

Phins Rock wins this one easily.

Yes, that is a very good stat to bring up...well done.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Maybe in the future I should start actually looking things up...Lol.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:53 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I agree w/ RICH.

I read his first post, and the reaction I got was what YOGI BERRA once referred to as "deja vu all over again". I remember a NT who was 6'1 and a "widebody", who was incredibly strong, played smart, had great quickness, footwork and use of his hands, and played w/leverage.

Not J FERGUSON, although that's a relevant comparison as well. His name was JIM BURT, out of the U, and he anchored the DL for PARCELLS' SB Champion NY GIANTS team. He was impossible to deal with. He played smart, and w/leverage. His handswork was as exceptional as his footwork, and he was one of the strongest men in the NFL. Throw in the fact that he was as quick as a cat, and you get the idea. Even a double-team plus a FB often wasn't enough.

I hope we find another FERGUSON, or BURT. That'd make life easier for a whole lot of people. :jests:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

OLB is the biggest need. Either Kindle or Graham in round 1 is a must IMO. We need to rush the QB more. NT in either 2 or 3 would be OK

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]