View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Sparano Q&A: Offseason Edition 3-17 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sparano Q&A: Offseason Edition 3-17
Quote:
Q. Let's turn to the future. What type of things would you like to see quarterback Chad Henne accomplish over the next few months?

TS: I want to see him improve from a fundamental standpoint. That can't be taken too lightly. He needs to make the same strides he made during the season. He has to be really critical of himself, which he has done a good job of. He has to spend extra time out on the field to improve in some of the throws that will allow us to fully utilize his arm strength like those middle-of-the-field throws. We want to rep as many times as we can rep before the ball drops for real.

Q. Do you sense from him that he realizes being a quarterback in the NFL is not a seven- or eight-month job, but a 12-month job?

TS: Yes I do. He is very committed. I think he clearly understands the job description and what that entails.

Q. How much of a comfort zone does having Chad Pennington back give you?

TS: It gives me a great comfort zone. We have four good quarterbacks on our team right now. I'm certainly impressed with the improvement Tyler Thigpen has made since he got here. I'm looking forward to seeing both Tyler and Pat White grow as players. Of course, having Chad Pennington there, he has great leadership qualities.

Q. Is Pennington coming in with the mindset that he has a chance to start or does he understand that right now Chad Henne is the guy?

TS: He clearly understands that Henne is the guy. But I know Chad Pennington and his competitive fire and all those things that we love and that's what we'll see from him. But having said that, he understands it is Chad Henne's team right now.

More: http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/exclu ... on-edition

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Sparano Q&A: Offseason Edition 3-17
Tony Sparano wrote:
He has to spend extra time out on the field to improve in some of the throws that will allow us to fully utilize his arm strength like those middle-of-the-field throws.

Should be read as "He MUST stop overthrowing WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS!!!

I rally dug Henne's poise last season to play well when the odds were against him. But he has 2 major problems:

1) The touch pass. Hopefully he can learn to take something off of the ball. Perhaps it's like Big Ben stated last year when he said that the touch pass is something you either have or don't, it's not something that can be coached. Hopefully it isn't like that. We may have had even more chances to win more games last season if Henne could have just thrown the ball with a little less mustard.

2) More than an acceptable number of times he successfully missed a wide open receiver deep down the field. Ginn, Camarillo, Hartline all were missed badly when wide open behind the last line of defense and would have been a stroll in score. He needs to not do that.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Sparano Q&A: Offseason Edition 3-17
Tony Sparano wrote:
We have four good quarterbacks on our team right now. I'm certainly impressed with the improvement Tyler Thigpen has made since he got here. I'm looking forward to seeing both Tyler and Pat White grow as players.

Please don't stick to the "Pat White is here to play QB" schtick for another year. We need to get some sort of productivity out of this guy or it will be a major disappointment.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]