View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dolphins eyeing several TEs from a deep draft class 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins eyeing several TEs from a deep draft class
Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins are eyeing several tight ends from a deep draft class and might pick one in the middle rounds to compete with restricted free agent Anthony Fasano and backup Joey Haynos.

Sporting News analyst and former Browns scout Russ Lande said the players who most display the skills Miami is seeking (downfield receiving skills, good size, skill to develop into solid blockers) are Arizona's Rob Gronkowski, Southern California's Anthony McCoy, UM's Jimmy Graham and Penn State's Andrew Quarless.

The Dolphins also like Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham, who showed he's over the knee injury that sidelined him in 2009 and likely is to be taken between Miami's picks at Nos. 12 and 43. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has Gresham as the only first-round tight end (25th overall), but UF's Aaron Hernandez and Gronkowski could go soon after.

Gronkowski missed last season because of back problems ``and that's a concern, but he's elite at blocking and pass catching,'' Lande said. ``I love Hernandez's receiving skills, but he looks like an undersized H-back. Bill Parcells loves big kids, and he's the opposite of that.''

Lande said McCoy is a second- or third-rounder and ``the most intriguing guy from a Dolphins perspective: strong, great size, long strides and big hands to catch balls over the shoulder.''

Miami has shown an interest in McCoy and Graham, who has met with the Dolphins' Jeff Ireland and could go between the second and fifth rounds, analysts said. Quarless, who interviewed with Miami, could be a third- or fourth-rounder, Lande said.

Iowa's Tony Moeaki, Pittsburgh's Dorin Dickerson, BYU's Dennis Pitta, Oregon's Ed Dickson and Wisconsin's Garrett Graham have appealing pass-catching skills, but their blocking needs work (as does Jimmy Graham's). Dickerson is undersized at 6-2, 226 pounds.

Miami Herald

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Dolphins eyeing several TEs from a deep draft class
I do think Dickerson will play bigger than what he weighed at the combine. Great 40, though. Could he be a solid blocker and a good route runner he would be a beast.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:03 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I think Anthony McCoy is the most likely target. 3rd or 4th round guy...Good blocker, good pass catcher, athletic....

Kiper is right about Hernandez; as I've been saying, Parcells won't go for a pure pass catcher.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I want Greg Olsen back in Miami!

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would love olsen in Miami, but wouldn't mind trying to pick up Jimmy grahman in the draft. I think the kid has great potetial considering he only played one season in miami and looked pretty good.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami had a chance to work with both Jimmy Graham and Anthony McCoy at the Senior Bowl. They have scouted Graham on separate occasions.

I think it will be one of these 2 kids as they have the size, speed and ability to stretch the field, and in the case of McCoy, a very good inline blocker. Graham is more of a developmental guy, but his upside is very high.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Dickerson would be a good pick. He should slip to the 2nd round at least, but his size and speed make him intriguing as a possible WR....

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]