View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Dolphins, Naanee agree on one-year deal 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins, Naanee agree on one-year deal
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... -deal.html

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Dolphins, Naanee agree on one-year deal
Nice! Still expect them to snag at least one WR in the draft, but I like this signing.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

A versitile, 6'2", 220# wr with 4.4 speed. Ill take it. He went to boise state to play qb, lost out to jared zybranski. Has a td pass in nfl already, and is only 28. Hasnt really done much, but has potential. Not sure what contract details are besides being a 1 yr deal, but this could be a classic low risk high reward type signings.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is the guy I take in Madden in my fantasy drafts because top-flight WRs aren't really needed.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A solid, and likely cheap, signing. He is coming off his best season with 44 catches for the Panthers. His YPC there was low, but Steve Smith caught the homerun balls there. Interestingly, his YPC in 2011 were about the same as Davone Bess' numbers. He adds depth to a weak WR corps. In fact, I think he will push Bess for the starting slot receiver spot. Naanee is a physical slot receiver with speed. 6'2" tall, 220 lbs and has 4.41 speed in the 40 yard dash.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think he is an upgrade over Moore or Wallace...If he is he hasn't shown it.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He had a decent year last year with Carolina. I wonder why they didn't resign him.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Decent #4 option. I guess he'll compete with Gates for playing time as that situational vertical threat.

Might prevent them from taking multiple WR's early, but they'll still be taking one early on.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The numbers he put up with Carolina last year were pretty decent when you consider they have Steve Smith, TE's Greg Olson and Jeremy Shockey and 2nd round draft pick WR Brandon LaFell.

James Jones put up 38 catches for 635 yards with a 16.7 yards per catch average with 7 touchdowns.

The goal of the Dolphins will be to "SPREAD" the ball to all the receivers, not just have one dominant wide receiver.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe Ireland just got done watching Money Ball....

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
Maybe Ireland just got done watching Money Ball....

The Steelers and Greenbay do it.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
I don't think he is an upgrade over Moore or Wallace...If he is he hasn't shown it.

The fact that he has 44 catches in a season is already a big improvement over Moore and Wallace. What have they done to warrant a roster spot?

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

The fact that he has 44 catches in a season is already a big improvement over Moore and Wallace. What have they done to warrant a roster spot?

Nanee was a nice surprise for the Chargers prior to arriving to the Panthers for anyone who bothered watching. He'll definitely provide some good competition in camp, especially since we never have gotten anything of Moore or Wallace.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As of today, our starting 3 are Hartline, Bess and Naanne. Plus, Bush will probably be rolled out to WR for 5-10 plays a game. I see us drafting 2 WR's (one in the first 3 rounds another in the 6th or 7th). Though, Bess didn't have a great 2011, I think he's the best bet to retain a starting spot.

With a new coaching staff and young and (right now) average receiving talent............it maybe mid season until we have our starting receiving rotation figured out.

GO DEFENSE!!!!!!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

shularino wrote:
As of today, our starting 3 are Hartline, Bess and Naanne. Plus, Bush will probably be rolled out to WR for 5-10 plays a game. I see us drafting 2 WR's (one in the first 3 rounds another in the 6th or 7th). Though, Bess didn't have a great 2011, I think he's the best bet to retain a starting spot.

With a new coaching staff and young and (right now) average receiving talent............it maybe mid season until we have our starting receiving rotation figured out.

GO DEFENSE!!!!!!

Clyde Gates will definitely be in that mix.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Nice! Still expect them to snag at least one WR in the draft, but I like this signing.

I agree, I think we'll be drafting one or maybe two receivers. Possibly a guy like Marvin McNutt from Iowa would be a nice fit and he'd only cost us a 4th or 5th round pick. Jeff Fuller from Texas A&M is another receiver who we know very well and could be a nice fit for a 5th or 6th round pick.

I think one of the hallmarks of our new staff is we will keep adding weapons for the passing game every season. The Packers always seemed to find nice weapons in the early to middle rounds, hopefully Ireland and Philbin can identify some good young receivers to help replace Marshall and help us get better overall in the passing game.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I bet we go WR in round 2, or even round 1. Marshall's departure left a huge void in the offense. Naanee is an upgrade of our slot WR position, at best.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I bet we go WR in round 2, or even round 1. Marshall's departure left a huge void in the offense. Naanee is an upgrade of our slot WR position, at best.

Round 1 shod either be a QB or a pass rusher. I hope it's not a WR.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Blackmon is there at #8, I don't see how the Phins can pass on him. If not, yeah...I don't see us going WR till round #2.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
If Blackmon is there at #8, I don't see how the Phins can pass on him. If not, yeah...I don't see us going WR till round #2.

Ya, would be blasphemy to pass up on a talent like Blackmon. In my dream draft we somehow get him and Criner.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Ya, would be blasphemy to pass up on a talent like Blackmon. In my dream draft we somehow get him and Criner.

It's stupid to me to trade one of the best receivers in the game for a 3rd rounder just so you can turn around and draft at number 8 overall.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

It's stupid to me to trade one of the best receivers in the game for a 3rd rounder just so you can turn around and draft at number 8 overall.

Not if you are high on him and consider him to be every bit as good without all the psycho-baggage.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:49 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:

Absolutely! Too bad this doesn't apply to the Dolphins seeing as how the receiver they traded was 10th in receiving yards, 10th in receptions and 33rd in touchdown receptions.

One thing he was one of the best at is dropping passes.

Another thing he was one of the best at is being in some sort of trouble.

I'm not sure being one of the best at those things puts you in the "untouchable" category.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Absolutely! Too bad this doesn't apply to the Dolphins seeing as how the receiver they traded was 10th in receiving yards, 10th in receptions and 33rd in touchdown receptions.

One thing he was one of the best at is dropping passes.

Another thing he was one of the best at is being in some sort of trouble.

I'm not sure being one of the best at those things puts you in the "untouchable" category.

I never said he was untouchable...and throw those stats aside because everyone mocked me for saying Wes Welker is one of the best receivers in the game by throwing "he only has ONE touchdown!"

Big whoop. When you don't have a quarterback and play for a crappy team, your numbers aren't going to be the best, but you can still be the best. Marshall has the ability to score double digit touchdowns, have triple digit catches and gain over 1200 yards.

Fine, argue that he was in some sort of trouble, but how many games did that cost him in Miami? Zero. He was never incarcerated while in Miami. Fine, argue that he doesn't have the best of friends. But if you're going to trade him because you want to multiple receivers doing things well and there's no "true" number one, it is stupid to take a receiver in round one when you can take a guy at a more important position.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Iowafin wrote:
I never said he was untouchable...and throw those stats aside because everyone mocked me for saying Wes Welker is one of the best receivers in the game by throwing "he only has ONE touchdown!"

Big whoop. When you don't have a quarterback and play for a crappy team, your numbers aren't going to be the best, but you can still be the best. Marshall has the ability to score double digit touchdowns, have triple digit catches and gain over 1200 yards.

Really? Because even in his best seasons in Denver with a "real" quarterback throwing to him he only managed double digit TDs once and in doing so barely squeaked by with 10. So where is the evidence?

Marshall isn't one of the best. He's one of the most targetted receivers in the NFL and yet can only be at the top in drops. That's not being the best.

Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, even an aging Steve Smith and a came out of nowhere Victor Cruz are all better players to have on your team than Marshall. All more productive, all less of a concern of getting suspended after so many arrests and controversies.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Really? Because even in his best seasons in Denver with a "real" quarterback throwing to him he only managed double digit TDs once and in doing so barely squeaked by with 10. So where is the evidence?

That's a pretty weak argument. I said he's capable of doing it, he has done it, and you come back with "he's done it once, where's the evidence?"

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Marshall isn't one of the best. He's one of the most targetted receivers in the NFL and yet can only be at the top in drops. That's not being the best.

Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, even an aging Steve Smith and a came out of nowhere Victor Cruz are all better players to have on your team than Marshall. All more productive, all less of a concern of getting suspended after so many arrests and controversies.

Well said. People are overreacting and exaggerating the Marshall trade way too much. No one talks about how Fasano only had ONE drop the whole season, or how about our new TE Charles Clay who found the end zone 20% of the time he had the ball in his hands? Nope, everyone just freaks out about trading our receiver who had by far the most drop efficiency rating on the team...scratch that...OUT OF THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!

Don't you recall that questionable play when Marshall was at least 8 yards in front of the corner inside the redzone, but tripped HIMSELF out of bounds? He was clumsy as hell with those long, freakishly awkard legs as well.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]