View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ESPN...Jets making move for Marshall 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post ESPN...Jets making move for Marshall
We've heard some buzz on the Jets making a play for Marshall for a few weeks now, and Michael Lombardi of National Football Post reports on Sunday that the Jets are "having internal discussions regarding Brandon Marshall and would love to put together a package of players that might entice the Broncos and still keep their first-round pick." Even something involving that first-rounder (No. 29 overall) wouldn't be too bad, considering the player they'd be receiving.

We have to consider the Seahawks still the front-runners here, but the pick requirement continues to be a stumbling block for them. ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando thinks Seattle won't be too hasty:

According to ESPN Insiders the Jets are making plans to try and snag Marshall. Which of course is crappy news for the Phins. Try throwing against Revis and Cromartie, Then try and stop Greene, Marshall, Edwards, Cothery, and who ever else they grab in the draft. The Jets have been making moves consistently sisnce Rex got there and it seems to be working for them. It's almost like the torch has been past down to the Jets from the Pats. I really hate the Jets

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: ESPN...Jets making move for Marshall
wow... shoot. come on miami make a push for him if u wanna be able to compete in the afc east

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:04 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

MIAcubano13 wrote:
According to ESPN Insiders the Jets are making plans to try and snag Marshall. Which of course is crappy news for the Phins.

I don't doubt Marshall's potential for greatness, but how many playoff games has he been to with the Broncos? Let the Jets trade the farm and their future for him. They backed into the playoffs playing two teams that were resting their starters, and they played a team that had peaked earlier in the season in the Bengals. They all ready have enough troubled-kids on their roster.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:11 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
MIAcubano13 wrote:
According to ESPN Insiders the Jets are making plans to try and snag Marshall. Which of course is crappy news for the Phins.

I don't doubt Marshall's potential for greatness, but how many playoff games has he been to with the Broncos? Let the Jets trade the farm and their future for him. They backed into the playoffs playing two teams that were resting their starters, and they played a team that had peaked earlier in the season in the Bengals. They all ready have enough troubled-kids on their roster.

Hey call it what you will. The bottom line is they made it to the AFC championship game and seem to be making moves to build on last years performance. It's the NFL, which teams are judged on wins and super bowls. Not who has more criminals on their roster or not. Just like nobody liked the Canes because we were offering scholarships to inner city kids with rough backgrounds. Some continued to have their troubles with the law, but that didnt stop the band wagon when we were winning championships. Didn't even stop teams from drafting out guys, like Ray Lewis, Michael Irving, etc..

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:17 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The jets are making personnel moves like some 19 year old college sophomore building a team on madden. There is more to winning football than spending a lot of money and adding name players to your roster, just look at the Washington Redskins.

Miami is right to stick to their game plan of adding free agents selectively and building around younger talent. I hope the jets do waste a first rounder on Marshall.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:29 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Although there is baggage that goes along with him & I am not that big on him either but I do recognize what he brings on the field giving up the 29th pick fior him is not that much of a critical thing. Theory still tells me that its still the Jets & no matter what they do they will always find a way to implode but if you are a fan you gotta love the agressiveness. If this does happen it becomea all about Sanchez. Is he the real deal , can he keep impressing after only a limited amount of college starts & 1 full pro season going to the championship game or will he still have to be "protected" by throwing under 20 times per game & relying on the running game as well as that defense. Seems like the Jets & Dolphins are mirrroring themselves at the QB position.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Brandon Marshall in New York would be scary, both as far as facing the Jets and from a personal standpoint for Marshall.

The New York press is relentless and I am not sure if it would be a good move for Marshall just from a standpoint of keeping himself out of trouble.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

"If" this is true that the Jets are pursuing Marshall, then I say it is a great move. Since Denver is only requiring ONE number one pick, the Jets might be trying to add a player or two and possibly a second rounder as I highly doubt that they have to package a number one AND players in order to make the deal happen, so in my opinion, it sounds like the Jets are trying to create a better deal for themselves to pull off getting him.

I understand ALL the risks involved getting Marshall and this nonsense of him never going to the playoffs with Denver means NOTHING to the kind of impact this kid brings to the table to the team that selects him. Randy Moss didnt go to a Superbowl either until he got to the Patriots and he has done nothing but make NE a better offense. I would expect the same with Brandon Marshall.

Come on, this guy caught "20" passes by himself in ONE game. The NFL is a business and a business that is full of risk taking. I say that Miami should get off the dime and pull the trigger before we allow a division nemesis to get a guy that could be an all-pro for at least the next five years if the guy stays healthy (and out of trouble)

Knowing our luck the Jets sign him and he turns his life around and becomes a model citizen and torments the Dolphins secondary!!

It would be ridiculous if the Jets got him and not in a good way for us fin fans at all. I know Rex Ryan is the enemy and he has a big mouth, but winning squashes any of that and personally I think he has a great mentality and is a players coach who knows how to get his troops confident.

I would like to believe that there is a coach in the NFL and a plan that can help corral Brandon Marshall and his attitude.

Take a chance on the guy is what I say.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:31 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

and on top of that they gonna sign LT just read that on rotoworld he will pick them over minny :jests:

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My last post is probably a bit reactive to the fact that the Jets could now be pursuing another Randy Moss type threat and I would just HATE to see him land in the AFC East, especially knowing that we would have had a legit chance for Miami to have traded for him.

If he still lands in Seattle instead, I could handle this situation a whole better, especially if Miami doesn't sign him and just as importantly that the Jets don't either!

If Miami stands back and doesnt go after Marshall, which at this point doesnt look realistic anyway and if we pass on Dez Bryant (if he is still available at pick 12), then I would like to know what tricks they have up their sleeve to get a star go to wide receiver, which anyone can say what they want, but Miami desperately needs one in their offense.

Hopefully, the brain trust has a great plan in store, so us dolphin fans can get excited for an improved offense. However, all that being said, they are being smart trying to address the defense as well, since we could't stop teams when we had to last season

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If the Jets get Marshall they are in the SB next year. Period. They sport the #1 Defense, #1 Rush and add Marshall to Braylon... wow.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ski_Money wrote:
If the Jets get Marshall they are in the SB next year. Period. They sport the #1 Defense, #1 Rush and add Marshall to Braylon... wow.

I don't think so. We were the better team last year. We had a more difficult schedule and key injuries. Granted they had more talent then we did but we did still sweep them. They won the lottery at the end of the year last year to get into the playoffs.. and when faced with a good team in the playoffs. They lost. Much like we would have.

IMO, they have gotten worse thus far in the offseason.. picking up Cromartie.. (LOL, idiots) Then they lost Jones. LT hasn't signed yet.. and if he does.. He still is no better then Jones would have been. LT isn't the same guy he used to be.

Signing Marshall would make them better.. sure. But, it's no reason to throw in the towel.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

When did the Jets resign Braylon Edwards? And that defense was shredded by the Dolphins, giving up 30 points twice to them, and another collapse against the Patriots with another stellar 30 point performance. Their schedule helped them greatly...Indianapolis and Cincy late, the Falcons with a banged up team including a hurt Michael Turner, the Texans and Titans before they got hot....especially the Texans with that Johnson Schaub matchup.

Listen, the Jets were not that good. 9-7, wildcard team that got lucky.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Lets not talk that the AFC is gonna come down to the Jets & Dolphins. The Jets can sign whoever they want & there will still be a bunch of teams better than them ... & the Dolphins.
Right now I would say both teams are still in that 7-9 , 8-8 , 9-7 area.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It would be funny if Marshall signs with the Jets and ends up like Plaxico Buress.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Alex13 wrote:
It would be funny if Marshall signs with the Jets and ends up like Plaxico Buress.

Yeah, it'd be hilarious if he caught a game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl for a New York team, huh?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

But they still have Sanchez who hasn't shown much anything except the ability to choke. He is not the real deal. He hosed the Jets at #4. He wasn't worth it then, and he won't be worth it next year.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf I hope you are right but the Jury is still way out. Sanchez had a small number of starts in college & while the schedule fell into their favor at the end he still did not make many mistakes down the stretch & the team went to the championship game.
It is easy to see why we as Dolphin fans are so high on Henne but you cannot blame Jet fans for being the same on Sanchez. For his rookie season he lived up to the hype as to why the Jets traded up for him.
But I agree , if the Jets add LT & BM , this kids honeymoon period is way over.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Are we talking about the same Jets that went to the AFC Championship last season? If we are... Marshall = SB. And if you want to question the Defense, stats don't lie. They were #1 from week 3 all the way to the AFC Game.

Don't dismiss them just because you hate them. I hate them, but they are a darn good team. Despite the fact that we beat them last year, I still think they were the better team.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
Alex13 wrote:

Yeah, it'd be hilarious if he caught a game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl for a New York team, huh?
Not what I was aiming for, I meant Buress' current situation.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

Are you sure they will sport the #1 rush next year? The reason they had that #1 rushing offense was just let go, and replaced by a washed up LT.

And stop using "Period." It's just as bad as when Phinsrock used it to no effect whatsoever other than to annoy.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah...I am sure the Jets won't be too good next year. They had the #1 defense, one of the best running games, they added another shutdown corner to go along with Revis and they might have Marshall and Braylon Edwards to throw to. No, doesn't sound like they will be very formidable at all. All this before the draft mind you. The Phins on the other hand, spent a boat load of money for an inside linebacker.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Are we talking about the same Jets that went to the AFC Championship last season? If we are... Marshall = SB. And if you want to question the Defense, stats don't lie. They were #1 from week 3 all the way to the AFC Game.

Don't dismiss them just because you hate them. I hate them, but they are a darn good team. Despite the fact that we beat them last year, I still think they were the better team.

9-7 does not equal great team. Yes they went to the AFC Championship. No that does not make them the new dynasty in the NFL. Their D is good, but that doesn't change the fact that they have Mr 12 TDs v 20 INTs with a dismal 63 QB rating and had an average of just 10 completions per road game with a completion percentage of just a hair over 50%.

They guy is a joke. The jury may be out, but I'm calling it. He's as good as he'll be.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Anyone pretending that the Jets haven't significantly upgraded and improved this offseason is just plain lying to themselves. If they add Marshall, they have to be considered a favorite for the AFC champions. Sanchez will be better, he has playoff experience now too, and the run game, and defense will still be solid. I don't see how that doesn't scare the rest of the AFC east.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Welcome to Jetfever?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yeah...I am sure the Jets won't be too good next year. They had the #1 defense, one of the best running games, they added another shutdown corner to go along with Revis and they might have Marshall and Braylon Edwards to throw to. No, doesn't sound like they will be very formidable at all. All this before the draft mind you. The Phins on the other hand, spent a boat load of money for an inside linebacker.

Cromartie was great 3 seasons ago and has been pretty consistently terrible since. Ditto for Braylon Edwrads. They jettisoned the reason why they had the #1 rushing game last year, and replaced him with a washed up LT.

I'm not convinced they have done anything other than make moves to make moves. They have not signed Edwards, nor have they actually made a move for Marshall.

So the lump sum of all that moving in FA is a one hit wonder CB who was pretty terrible since his 1 good year, a washed up RB whose best years were long ago, all while getting rid of their best RB.

That doesn't scare me.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Anyone pretending that the Jets haven't significantly upgraded and improved this offseason is just plain lying to themselves. If they add Marshall, they have to be considered a favorite for the AFC champions. Sanchez will be better, he has playoff experience now too, and the run game, and defense will still be solid. I don't see how that doesn't scare the rest of the AFC east.

They got rid of their 1400+ yard back and replaced him with LT, a washed up back whose best years are way behind him. Sanchez only lookd half decent when all he was asked to do was hand the ball off. He had a hair above 50% completion rate and far more INTs than TDs. He only averages 10 completions per road game.

I don't fear his "playoff experience." All he did was hand the ball off.

Their vaunted D was beat TWICE by us last season, and was picked apart by Indy in said AFCG.

The Jets are not the new dynasty. They are a bunch of loud mouth fools who got lucky, and now feel cocky.

8-8 next season is my call.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I duno about the Jets...too early to tell how Mark Sanchez will actually pan out. Sucks they lost Thomas Jones, but Shonn Green really performed well in the ladder part of the season (LT will be a nice third down back, and nice hands out of the backfield). Their D is going to be sick, though. Revis and Cromartie, are you kidding me? Revis was a top three CB in the league last year, and having Cromartie just makes them even better.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Can this thread get closed or moved or something?

Its sickening....

:jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :jests: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jeez, if you don't want to contribute to the conversation, then don't...

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yes, this thread is about the Jets, it's on a Dolphins board, both teams play in the AFC East. Welcome to the NFL.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:13 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Putting a bunch of famous people on the same team does not make that team good.

They're a bubble wild card team if they sign Marshall, Edwards, and Tomlinson and won't be able to beat a legitimately elite team in the playoffs if they're lucky enough to get there.

It takes a lot more than names on Jerseys to build a winning team.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

When did the Jets resign Braylon Edwards? And that defense was shredded by the Dolphins, giving up 30 points twice to them, and another collapse against the Patriots with another stellar 30 point performance. Their schedule helped them greatly...Indianapolis and Cincy late, the Falcons with a banged up team including a hurt Michael Turner, the Texans and Titans before they got hot....especially the Texans with that Johnson Schaub matchup.

Listen, the Jets were not that good. 9-7, wildcard team that got lucky.

I agree! People are way overreacting to this. The jets remind of the Raiders and Redskins they way they are just trying to collect names. LT is washed up and they should have stuck with Jones. Cromartie is slipping otherwise San Diego would have never let him go. Edwards and Marshall are problem children. Sanchez has yet to prove he is what he is touted to be.

I firmly expect the jets to by 8-8 type team again this year...(this is what there record would have been this year if the Colts not rested everyone). The bigger threat to Miami is in the same place it has always been....the patsies.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Yeah, guess that was a little much.. Sorry...

Its just I come to "Phinfever" click on "Dolphin Talk" and see 2 posts about the Jets, one about college hoops and 1 about the Fins in the top 4....

Oh well.... Free to talk about what we want to I guess....

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:15 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How easily people forget Shone Green leading the playoffs in rushing yards. Shone Green + LT is a top 5 rush game. Edwards + Marshall = top 10ish pass game. Defense is top 5 no matter what. All these things combine = AFCE Champs + Deep run in the playoffs.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Jets might have received a couple of breaks last season, but they gained momentum at the end of the year and played tough football.

Without a doubt, Miami will have their hands full playing the Jets.

Rex Ryan has those guys pointed in the right direction.

We can only hope Miami improves their team overall. Should be another tight AFC East race next season!

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:35 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Adam Schefter said that the Marshall to the Jets rumors 'have no legs', and are just rumors at this point. I wouldn't stress about the jests too much, they'relike the mets, they'll always find a way to choke regardles of how much talent they acquire. They'll continue to pay big for big names while we continue to get younger and better.
:jests:

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There's a blessing.

Still not writing them off. There isn't a clear winner in the AFCE right now. Jury is out on NE still.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:46 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

The Jets are unwise? First they landed Braylon Edwards for a 2nd and LT as a FA. Now if they manage to get Marshall into the fold without giving up their first round pick that is a bad thing? Currently, Im more concerned about Miami not signing anyone noteworthy at the WR position despite both Marshall and Owens still on the market. Maybe it is just me but surely you could land one of these guys with incentives on performance and behanvior.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I really think we need to do something to land a big threat receiver or we are going to be competing with Buffalo for the bottom of the AFC east.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next