View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 DT Dan Williams, Tenn - Kiper/McShay Mock Draft 3.0 

Should the Dolphins make Williams their overall #12 pick?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20

DT Dan Williams, Tenn - Kiper/McShay Mock Draft 3.0 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post DT Dan Williams, Tenn - Kiper/McShay Mock Draft 3.0
ESPN Insider wrote:
Kiper: Getting Karlos Dansby in free agency frees the Dolphins to take Williams, who will in turn help an improved linebacking corps by occupying blockers and disrupting both the passing and running games. Williams is stout, strong and underrated as a disruptive force.

McShay: Jason Ferguson is a 35-year-old coming off a season-ending injury and facing an eight-game suspension. In other words, Miami would be wise to get help at nose tackle through the draft, and Williams is the premier two-gap player on the board.

ESPN Insider wrote:
Dan Williams | DT
Scouts Inc. Grade: 93

Production 2
"2005: Redshirt. 2006: (6/0) 2 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack. 2007: (14/10) 40 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 BK. 2008: (12/9) 48 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 1 PBU. 2009: (13/13) 70 tackles, 9 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 1 FR. First-team All-SEC (media), Second-team All-SEC (coaches). "

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Possesses good size and strength especially in the lower body along with adequate mobility for size.

Durability 1
Durability is a minor concern as he suffered an ankle injury during the Alabama game in 2008 and was limited in the following contest against Northern Illinois.

Intangibles 3
Williams has had weight issues in the past which brings up some slight concerns about overall work ethic. No off-the-field issues we are currently aware of.

Defensive Tackle specific Traits

Strength/Toughness 2
"Displays excellent overall strength, particularly in the lower body. Plays with a wide base and can anchor at the point of attack. Plays hard and displays a mean streak at times. Motor can run hot and cold as endurance appears to be an issue. "

Quickness(hands/feet) 3
"Lacks elite quickness off the snap of the ball. However, is heavy handed and displays a strong punch to control blockers on the interior. Plays with good balance always keeping his feet underneath him. "
Versus the Run 1

At his best versus the run. Plays with good leverage and rarely gives ground. Wins most one-on-one battles and does a good job of disengaging and redirecting to fall back into plays. Shows ability to consistently anchor against double teams and flashes ability to split them on occasion. Protects feet well against cut blocks. Moves well in space for size and work down the line in pursuit to get involved in runs off-tackle. Strong overall tackler and flashes explosion upon contact. Can get caught on occasion playing too high and can be washed down the line against down blocks.

Pass Rush Skills 3
A powerful bull-rusher that shows ability to collapse the pocket from the middle. Flashes an effective rip and spin move. But frequently comes out of stance high and lacks ability to counter once engaged with blockers. Closing burst is good but not great.
Not used for season >= 2010 N/A No information available at this time

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/dra ... r?id=25439

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: DT Dan Williams, Tenn - Kiper/McShay Mock Draft 3.0
Makes since. Williams is an animal and for 330 pounds he carries it very well on the field

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:43 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

With more teams making the move to the 3-4 defense and teams needing a NT, Miami included, there is a reason why I had him going to Miami in my mock draft at #12.

KC, Buffalo, Washington, Denver are all teams ahead of Miami in the pecking order that have a need for NT in a 3-4.

The only way I see Williams possibly not being the pick is if Denver or Buffalo take him ahead of Miami, or if there is a choice to be made between Dan and Dez Bryant. It could get interesting at that point.

Either way, I believe Miami needs to take a NT early in this draft because there will be a run on them.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The only two teams that worry me in the Williams derby are Buffalo and Denver. I would think left tackle is a huge concern for a putrid Bills line and would be their priority.

If Denver does trade Marshall to Seattle for the 6th pick then my guess would be their targets are Dez Bryant and Rolando McClain (after the release of Davis). But I dont think many expected McDaniels to take Knowshon Moreno so early last year and he seems unpredictable.

I would welcome the Williams pick for Miami.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I like the Williams pick, I just wonder if he could be had later in the first if we were able to trade down.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's a deep draft for DT...just because those teams are going to 3-4 doesn't mean they will take one early or even at all. If they take one early, no need to panic.
I've said NT is the top need, but taking one in the 1st round when you could get a major play maker on offense in CJ Spiller I say you take him...
Many will disagree with that, but say that they do? Will you be upset? Imagine the explosiveness of an offense with CJ Spiller.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:26 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would rather take Dez Bryant in the 1st round if Miami is to take an offensive player.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
I would rather take Dez Bryant in the 1st round if Miami is to take an offensive player.

Why is that?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

WR, a possible #1 caliber WR is certainly a need for Miami. Also, DT may be a deep position, but not necessarily big men that can man the nose tackle position. Plus, it looks like Miami also has interest in Dexter McCluster, the RB from Ole Miss as well as talking with Spiller. McCluster probably will be a 2nd round choice.

Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Cam Thomas & Torrell Troup are considered to be the cream of the crop. Linval Joseph, Cade Weston, D, Anthony Smith, Al Woods, Jay Ross, DeMarcus Grainger & possibly Mike Neal are guys that can be considered possible NT candidates.

Linval Joseph has gotten a lot of attention with his combine numbers and he was indeed impressive, with 39 reps at 225 lbs, 6'4, 328 lbs running a 5.10 40. I am trying to find a little bit more on Joesph and thoughts on him in general.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:20 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowa, I thought you were on the sane bandwagon of...Spiller at 12 is silly....??

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i think go for golden tate in round two. get williams or pierre paul in the first.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowa, I thought you were on the sane bandwagon of...Spiller at 12 is silly....??

Yeah, he should be gone. Everyone here agrees that if Spiller/McCoy or some other guy in that end is at #12 we take him. We just know it won't happen :D

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:32 pm

No, I meant that picking him would be silly.

And btw, I didn't mis-spell same;-).

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Williams seems to be a force in the middle from the video I've watched on youtube. Could Oderick translate to a 3-4 NT?? He seemed pretty good as well.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 pm

MIAcubano13 wrote:
Williams seems to be a force in the middle from the video I've watched on youtube. Could Oderick translate to a 3-4 NT?? He seemed pretty good as well.

Nah. He's a poor man's Gerald McCoy. A pass rushing DT with some run stuffing ability, but certainly not a 34 NG.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:55 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He seems to be the safe pick at #12.

Quote:
Motor can run hot and cold as endurance appears to be an issue.

Well, if it is a conditioning thing then that is something he won't have a problem with under Sparano. In his first year, he'll probably hit the rookie wall which is good that we'll have Ferguson in the 2nd half of the season.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I like this pick from what I've read from various sites he seems to be a disruptive force worthy of a NT role.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]