View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Broncos surprisingly release ILB Andra Davis 
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Post Broncos surprisingly release ILB Andra Davis
Josina Anderson of Fox 31 KDVR in Denver reports the Broncos have released ILB Andra Davis. The Denver Post confirms.
The move is a surprise as the 31-year-old had a fine first season in Denver, exceeding expectations with 90 tackles and 3.5 sacks as a key figure in the team's surprising 6-0 start. The move could signal the team's intention to move Spencer Larsen into the starting lineup, though Alabama's Rolando McClain could be an option at No. 11 overall. Davis should draw free agent interest from teams with a 3-4 defense. Mar. 11 - 3:55 pm
[url]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=169683/url]
could be a real good fit as mike nolan knows him well

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Broncos surprisingly release ILB Andra Davis
mikey wrote:
Josina Anderson of Fox 31 KDVR in Denver reports the Broncos have released ILB Andra Davis. The Denver Post confirms.
The move is a surprise as the 31-year-old had a fine first season in Denver, exceeding expectations with 90 tackles and 3.5 sacks as a key figure in the team's surprising 6-0 start. The move could signal the team's intention to move Spencer Larsen into the starting lineup, though Alabama's Rolando McClain could be an option at No. 11 overall. Davis should draw free agent interest from teams with a 3-4 defense. Mar. 11 - 3:55 pm
[url]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=169683/url]
could be a real good fit as mike nolan knows him well

Is Davis better than Crowder?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:13 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

say bye bye Crowder....hopefully

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

He's 32. I doubt we bring him in and get rid of Crowder who is only in his 5th season. He would be good depth for sure, but I don't know if they would value him higher than crowder at this point.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

joeschmoe wrote:
He's 32. I doubt we bring him in and get rid of Crowder who is only in his 5th season. He would be good depth for sure, but I don't know if they would value him higher than crowder at this point.

depth for sure, but if brought in to compete, i think he could be better than crowder, imo. i just wouldn't bring him in on a long term deal with any assurances to start. more of a get in if you fit in and i think his familiarity with nolan's system would give him an advantage and be an upgrade to crowder and a complement next to dansby

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Andra Davis isn't back up material ... he's a starter. I've always liked him.

If we can sign him, we should. Parcells is always about upgrading each and every position.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Def Scoop! He's better then what we have, the experience is there, & therefore, probably the right price. Hope we bring him in ASAP

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:05 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Just wondering.......Sign A. Davis and maybe try and send Crowder and a draft pick or picks to the Broncos in a sign and trade for B.Marshall ....just a thought

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:27 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Denver have said they want a 1st round pick for Marshall, no questions asked.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Football Outsiders
Davis is a blue collar man
"The Broncos have re-done their entire defensive line in free agency, but it's surprising to see them making moves among the linebackers because that wasn't exactly the source of their defensive problems in the second half of 2009. Davis actually led all inside/middle linebackers by making his average run tackle after the ballcarrier gained just 2.0 yards. He's the proverbial steady-but-not-spectacular player who does his job and fits into a winning team as long as he has some star teammates. If he can't get a starting job somewhere (New England, Arizona, Washington), he would be smart to follow defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to Miami, where he could back up Karlos Dansby and Channing Crowder." - Aaron Schatz

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He would make a nice insurance policy for the oft injured Crowder.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:48 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They are gonna grab McClain

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:41 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ggippo wrote:

I agree, George. Anyone who has their hearts set on the Dolphins drafting McClain is going to be disappointed. The Broncos have their eyes on him.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
ggippo wrote:

I agree, George. Anyone who has their hearts set on the Dolphins drafting McClain is going to be disappointed. The Broncos have their eyes on him.

I doubt it. Even dumb FOs don't release guys in positions they plan to draft BEFORE the draft, especially blue chip players who could go at any time. It's a huge gamble to make. Their entire LB corps could be ruined if they don't land McClain now that they have cut their starter.

I'm not saying they won't draft McClain, but I think they have other plans in place in which getting McClain is icing on the cake, not the meat and potatoes.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
I doubt it. Even dumb FOs don't release guys in positions they plan to draft BEFORE the draft, especially blue chip players who could go at any time. It's a huge gamble to make. Their entire LB corps could be ruined if they don't land McClain now that they have cut their starter.

You do realize this is a Josh McDaniels run team, right?

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
eleaf wrote:

I realize that McDaniels coaches the team, but that they have the same FO running the joint that was running it under Shanahan.

He isn't making FO decisions like preseason drafting and personnel strategy. The same people who had been doing very well for a long time are.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
eleaf wrote:

I realize that McDaniels coaches the team, but that they have the same FO running the joint that was running it under Shanahan.

He isn't making FO decisions like preseason drafting and personnel strategy. The same people who had been doing very well for a long time are.

They must have just recently took crazy pills then. Trading a pro bowl quarterback for a guy that had thrown 30 td's and 27 picks in 4 years with the Bears. Jay Cutler threw for just as many yards in 08 as Orton did his 4 years with the Bears.

Then they signed something like 160 running backs in the offseason, then with their first draft pick take another running back. Miami's secondary has been awful for years, yet they have 3 Miami secondary members in the backfield.

Successful? I wouldn't say that.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]