View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ryan Clark: Dolphins offered him non-starter money 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ryan Clark: Dolphins offered him non-starter money
Armando Salguero wrote:
In an interview with Denver TV station Fox 31, Clark said he came on the trip "with an open mind," but his mind closed somewhat when the Dolphins started talking numbers.

"What it came down to was the inability for us to agree on a deal. [The Dolphins] offered what they thought was fair, but in the end I didn’t agree," Clark said.

"They were definitely straight forward with me. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a Bill Parcells team. I thought that I was going to be paid like a starter, but unfortunately for me, the negotiations didn’t reflect that."

So it was about money. The Dolphins' offer was not starter money in Clark's mind.

"There just comes a time in negotiations where you have to give a player reasons as to why you won’t stretch yourself financially," Clark said. "In the way that they responded to me, I could tell that they were being honest so that’s why I can’t be insulted, but I just didn’t agree."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... visit.html

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Ryan Clark: Dolphins offered him non-starter money
If we don't wanna pay starter money at FS then Atogwe will definitely not be an option.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:33 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

joeschmoe wrote:
If we don't wanna pay starter money at FS then Atogwe will definitely not be an option.

You know, we offered Antrel Rolle starter money. We just didn't offer Rolle crazy-Dansby money.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Well I don't think it's that they don't want to or they wouldn't pay starter money if they wanted a guy bad enough. I simply think they would have taken Clark on with the team, just they weren't willing to give what he thought he was worth.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:35 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

And they were probably right.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:38 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Miami probably offered Clark money close to what Pittsburgh did, he just wanted to remain with the Steelers.

He got what he wanted and he should just let it go. He wanted to remain with Pittsburgh. Stop trying to justify why you did not sign with Miami.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:
The Dolphins never had an opportunity to give a second offer, the sources said. Instead, while they were still on the phone negotiating with the agent, someone in the building received a text message from a person in Pittsburgh.

Clark had agreed to terms with the Steelers, the text read. So how did it happen?

Apparently, Clark made the quick decision based on the Dolphins' inquisitions during the initial negotiating process with his agent -- questions that are often used in any negotiation when trying to leverage a fair price.

Clark, 30, missed the final half of the 2007 season after his spleen and gall bladder needed to be removed because a sickle-cell trait was aggravated due to high altitude when the Steelers were playing in Denver.

During his recovery, Clark lost more than 30 pounds because of a serious blood disorder. Last season, he didn't play against Denver so he wouldn't aggravate the injury.

But when the Dolphins began to express concern to his agent about Clark's health and age during those preliminary negotiations, Clark's agent then took those comments back to the safety.

The Dolphins still contend they certainly know Clark as a player (they've been scouting him since college), but they also felt it necessary to ask those questions of his agent. It was nothing unusual, sources said.

The following day, after abruptly leaving South Florida, Clark told a Pittsburgh television station, KDVR, that he didn't like the way Miami handled the negotiations.

``They told my agent, `Look, we just don't know this guy. After we evaluate him more out there with us, maybe we'll feel different about it.' But I just figured, if this is how they feel, these things aren't going to change about me overnight,'' Clark said.

That's where he might have been wrong. Something was about to change overnight. In the case of any negotiations, the first offer is rarely the only offer. This was no different.

``The initial offer and the deal he took were almost identical,'' one source said. ``Our first offer wasn't quite as much as his new contract in Pittsburgh. The second offer would have been higher.''

Had Clark hung around long enough to continue the negotiations (he was scheduled to have dinner Sunday night with the team's defensive backs coaches, but he decided to take Pittsburgh's offer within an hour of leaving the team's facility), the safety stood to earn a deal package worth $2 million more than the one he signed, a source said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/11/1524571/how-did-miami-dolphins-lose-out.html

Interesting story. If he didn't feel comfortable here then that's fine, but why come out and say that we lowballed him?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Last year when we were signing Wilson didn't we actually take a look at trading for clark? Anyway, I have a hard time believing that Clark would have been an upgrade over Wilson. Pittsburgh had a solid front seven and a very good Troy Polamalu which made Clark's job way to easy. For all I know you could have put Wilson back there and he would have done alright. The point being, is that how can you truly evaluate Clark when all he basically was asked to do was be a the 11th guy on defense. Seriously, he wasn't a playmaker on Defense for reasons need not be mentioned.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
And they were probably right.

Yep. Clark is pretty good, but not great by any means.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]