View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Alabama Pro Day results/Rolando McClain & Terrence Cody 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Alabama Pro Day results/Rolando McClain & Terrence Cody
Alabama had there Pro Day today and Rolando McClain got a chance to run the 40 and ran 4.71 & 4.74, which is were most folks thought he would run.

Terrence Cody came in at 6'4, 348 lbs and did 32 reps at 225 lbs. He continues to remake his body and he will most definitely go in the 1st round. Obviously there will be concerns about Cody and his ability to keep the weight off, but you can always structure a contract with weight cluase.

The key thing is he had showed he wants to be an effective NT in the NFL, and carrying 370 lbs is not the way to go.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Alabama Pro Day results/Rolando McClain & Terrence Cody
Thats great that Cody is showing the dedication to be an NFL player, I think an NFL work schedule will keep his weight down. I think we need to go NT in the first round and he may be a viable option.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He and McClain were my top choices in the draft. With us grabbing Dansby I think the Cody option looks that much sweeter..

However the thought of McClain & Dansby as our ILB's is pretty appealing...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dansby and McClain would be a nice combo, but there effectiveness, or whoever it may be will be dramatically effected by stout NT play or lack there of.

With Jason Ferguson gone for eight games and coming off a torn muscle in his leg, NT is a big priority. Miami gave up less than 100 yards a game rushing with Ferguson, but that number went up by 40 plus yards with him out.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:42 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Yeah, I agree. I think NT is a big priority. A guy like Cody would be nice, with Dansby being a great cover ILB, I think Crowder is pretty good against the run so they should compliment each other.

With a Cody in the middle it would surely help clogging that lane up...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

McClain wore down at his pro day, and he later revealed that her has Crohns disease. Its the same disease David Garrard has.

For those of you who don't know what Crohns is, here is the definition according to wikipedia.com:

"Crohns is an inflammatory disease of the intestines that may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, causing a wide variety of symptoms. It primarily causes abdominal pain, diarrhea (which may be bloody), vomiting, or weight loss,[1][2][3] but may also cause complications outside of the gastrointestinal tract such as skin rashes, arthritis and inflammation of the eye."

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Project86JLL13 wrote:
McClain wore down at his pro day, and he later revealed that her has Crohns disease. Its the same disease David Garrard has.

For those of you who don't know what Crohns is, here is the definition according to wikipedia.com:

"Crohns is an inflammatory disease of the intestines that may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, causing a wide variety of symptoms. It primarily causes abdominal pain, diarrhea (which may be bloody), vomiting, or weight loss,[1][2][3] but may also cause complications outside of the gastrointestinal tract such as skin rashes, arthritis and inflammation of the eye."

my grandma died from that! :boo:

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:04 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I did notice that today as I am watching NFL Draft Countdown. He certainly has to follow his doctor's order in regards to controlling the disease.

I don't think it will affect his draft stock though.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:34 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Apparently there is a big discrepancy in regards to the bench press number for Cody. His agent reported he did 32 reps while Gill Brandt is reporting he did 22 reps.

Losing the amount of weight he has could certainly cost him from a strength standpoint, so we will see which one is correct, but since Steve Wyche of the NFL Network reported the same 22 reps, I will agree with Brandt.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Of course his agent will admit that it was a "typo"....sure it was. Lol.

That does change my opinion of Cody slightly. Not too much though.

Kind of funny to think that Brady Quinn could probably beat Mount Cody in an arm wrestle.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

22 reps at Cody's weight is pathetic. I don't want a guy on the team who will eat his way off the roster. That would be a stupid pick. McLain is a safer bet, but the disease issue is a definite issue worthy of some deep thought on whether or not you gamble on his health.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

For the record, Dan Williams would still be the NG/DT I would take, but there 2 years of film on Terrence Cody, and he is a major factor as a NT in the 3-4 defense.

22 reps is certainly disappointing, but when you lose the type of weight he has lost, you lose some strength also. He can gain strength back.

Also, Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and Jamal Williams are all premier 3-4 NT that have battled with there weight. IF Cody can stay in the weight range he is at right now, he will be an effective player.

Sure, you have to do a little more work to make sure Rolando can hold up, and he has been dealing with the disease since he was at Bama, so I believe he can hold up fine. Scouts don't believe it will effect his draft status to dramatically.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

First round money is big. I think it is funny that everyone sees a lot of risk with Dez Bryant, but fails to see similar risk with a guy battling his weight and a guy with a disease????

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:01 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Look Frustrated, I am still believing Dez Braynt could be a consideration to Miami at #12. We know this is the time of year when all kind of negative rumors are spread in hopes that a kid will drop lower than expected, and that is what is going on with Dez.

Now, I would hope that when he has his Pro Day, which will be in a few weeks to allow his hamstring to heal more, hopefully he is solid.

As far as McClain, he been dealing with Crohns Diesease since high school and has not had issues, but if you think it is a factor, then fine. Most of if not all of these teams now this well before it came out today.

As far as NT is concerned, all I know is Miami better find a good darn NT this year.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Of course he did do 44 lifts at the combine.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
22 reps at Cody's weight is pathetic. I don't want a guy on the team who will eat his way off the roster. That would be a stupid pick. McLain is a safer bet, but the disease issue is a definite issue worthy of some deep thought on whether or not you gamble on his health.

Trust me, I have Crohn's Disease and it's not a big issue as long as you take your medication and watch what you eat. He's had it since his freshman year in high school and if he didn't say anything NOBODY would have known from his play.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I know everyone wants to stop the run, but man....do we have to give up the farm to do it? Also, I don't know if you noticed, but teams beat us with the deep pass play all year in 2009. Dansby and McLain will be great to stop the opponent's running game, but they don't play corner or safety.

I want this team to finally address its pathetic receiving corps. We have a QB who can throw the ball deep now. He has the arm we have been craving since Marino.....get him some targets to exploit his strengths. Other teams roasted us with the deep pass, forced us to try to do the same to keep up....and voila, interceptions, sacks and 4th downs were the result. You can't keep running the rock when you are down by more than 14 points in the second half, or even larger margins in the first half. The NFL is a passing league. The top teams had explosive offenses, not plodding juggernauts from years gone by. The rules favor QB's and receivers. The force out rule was an attempt to reduce that favoritism somewhat, but the lame PI calls and such more than made up for that. Couple that with the rules protecting QB's as if they were made of glass and it is obvious what offenses will be more successful.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Cody seems to be willing to work hard to become an NFL player. What are the chances he can fall to us at our second round pick??? I mean if he slips that far than we can address another need with our 1 and still pick up our NT.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MIAcubano13 wrote:
Cody seems to be willing to work hard to become an NFL player. What are the chances he can fall to us at our second round pick??? I mean if he slips that far than we can address another need with our 1 and still pick up our NT.

Yeah but when we pick at no.12 we aren't gonna know how far Cody will slip. And with his weight dropping his stock should be rising, no?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:43 am

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
First round money is big. I think it is funny that everyone sees a lot of risk with Dez Bryant, but fails to see similar risk with a guy battling his weight and a guy with a disease????

Every single NT in the NFL battles with weight, and Cody has shown that he is dedicated to getting back in shape. I have concerns, yes, but not nearly the concerns you should have with Dez Bryant, a guy whose teammates say they were worried if he'd show up to practices and games because that's how little he cared.

Pass on Dez man.....no play on a team for a guy like that.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Trade down and grab cody as our #1 and get an extra pick ? ;)

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]