View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 [ESPN] Hits and misses: Which CBs can't tackle? 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post [ESPN] Hits and misses: Which CBs can't tackle?
Ouch!

Quote:
The Miami Dolphins had the division's worst tackling tandem. Sean Smith slotted 82nd with a TIR of 18.60 (35 solos, eight misses), while fellow rookie Vontae Davis was tied for 54th with a TIR of 11.76 (45 solos, six misses).

What makes their tackling troubles sting even more is that two months ago, we learned Davis and Smith ranked in the bottom 11 of all NFL cornerbacks in passing yards allowed, according to Stats Inc.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11372/hits-and-misses-which-cbs-cant-tackle

Makes you realize just how glaring of a need we have in the 2ndary... I do take into consideration these are 2 rookies too..

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: [ESPN] Hits and misses: Which CBs can't tackle?
Sean I can understand.....

But I don't buy that with Vontae. I saw him miss 2 tackles, (maybe 3), all year....I definitely do not remember 6.

Davis is one of the better tacklig CB's in the NFL. Sean needs to work on his.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm a little perplexed by Vontae's numbers as well.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think with vontae it was his agressiveness that cost him, he would sometimes try to get the turnover instead of the tackle.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I though Vontae held his own for being a rook out there. He also made some great tackles. But Sean on the other hand, always missed tackles, arm tackled alot and even when he had to help another Phin bring a player down he seemed to just like push and avoid as much contact as possible. Sean Smith did not impress me at all this season. He couldn't tackle and seemed to be out of place all the time. Not to mention he seemed lost pre-snap always looking around. I think Vontae is our best corner.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Davis is one of the better tacklig CB's in the NFL.

The facts say otherwise.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Davis is one of the better tacklig CB's in the NFL.

The facts say otherwise.

Went from "best period", to "one of the better"..

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

I actually found this misleading.
Vontae Davis is credited by the NFL with 51 tackles, 47 of them solo. He's 32nd in the NFL for CBs in missed tackles (meaning the higher the number, the better). He had 11 PDs.
Sean Smith is credited with 39 tackles, 32 of them solo. He's 13th in the NFL for CBs with missed tackles.
He had 12 PDs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&archive=false&seasonType=REG&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_BACK&qualified=true&Submit=Go&conference=null&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=3&experience=null

The names of the guys around 13th? Nnamdi Asomugha (tied with Mr. Smith for 13th) and Charles Woodson (tied with Mr. Smith for 13th). Assante Samuel is #1 in CBs (meaning baaaad), with 19 missed tackles. Here is another useful site.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

The fact remains, we started two rookies for most of the year (One rookie for the entire year). Smith allowed opposing QBs under 60% completion (QBs getting 60% are having a decent day) for the season (56.7, Woodson gave up 51, Champ Baily 53.3). He hasn't logged picks yet, but he obviously can compete. I've seen him fight for the ball, and I've seen him blanket people. If he's not the most aggressive hitter in the league, I'll live with it.
Davis did give up 63.3%, but 4 Ints and a TD shows a nose for plays, and he is a first-year player competing on what must be the loneliest island in sports. Against his biggest challenge, literally and figuratively, Randy Moss, he did give up a score in a loss, but got a pick against a WR who simply grabs the ball away from lesser mortals. In the rematch, Moss again got a TD, but Vontae got a pick as well in a win. In the second contest he held Moss under 100 yards. A rookie. In man coverage.

For two rooks to go to a system in which they're going to see a lot of 1-1 matchups and do as well as they did, I was impressed. They both played kind of like I thought Jason Allen would play but has only flashed a few games at a time. My gosh, if that kid ever figures it out and plays what he occasionally glitters, I wouldn't feel bad at all with him at CB or FS, and Sean Smith at CB or FS. Davis is a CB, and a potential very good one.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

pawfectgent wrote:
I actually found this misleading.
Vontae Davis is credited by the NFL with 51 tackles, 47 of them solo. He's 32nd in the NFL for CBs in missed tackles (meaning the higher the number, the better). He had 11 PDs.
Sean Smith is credited with 39 tackles, 32 of them solo. He's 13th in the NFL for CBs with missed tackles.
He had 12 PDs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&archive=false&seasonType=REG&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_BACK&qualified=true&Submit=Go&conference=null&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=3&experience=null

The names of the guys around 13th? Nnamdi Asomugha (tied with Mr. Smith for 13th) and Charles Woodson (tied with Mr. Smith for 13th). Assante Samuel is #1 in CBs (meaning baaaad), with 19 missed tackles. Here is another useful site.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1
:yay:
The fact remains, we started two rookies for most of the year (One rookie for the entire year). Smith allowed opposing QBs under 60% completion (QBs getting 60% are having a decent day) for the season (56.7, Woodson gave up 51, Champ Baily 53.3). He hasn't logged picks yet, but he obviously can compete. I've seen him fight for the ball, and I've seen him blanket people. If he's not the most aggressive hitter in the league, I'll live with it.
Davis did give up 63.3%, but 4 Ints and a TD shows a nose for plays, and he is a first-year player competing on what must be the loneliest island in sports. Against his biggest challenge, literally and figuratively, Randy Moss, he did give up a score in a loss, but got a pick against a WR who simply grabs the ball away from lesser mortals. In the rematch, Moss again got a TD, but Vontae got a pick as well in a win. In the second contest he held Moss under 100 yards. A rookie. In man coverage.

For two rooks to go to a system in which they're going to see a lot of 1-1 matchups and do as well as they did, I was impressed. They both played kind of like I thought Jason Allen would play but has only flashed a few games at a time. My gosh, if that kid ever figures it out and plays what he occasionally glitters, I wouldn't feel bad at all with him at CB or FS, and Sean Smith at CB or FS. Davis is a CB, and a potential very good one.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]