View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Dolphins showing interest in S Darren Sharper 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins showing interest in S Darren Sharper
I'm not sure how much interest we are showing, but it sounds as if we are one of 4 teams showing interest in him. I'm surethe Giants are out due to signing Rolle. I think the Saints are crazy for not locking him up ... even at his age. He's playing agelessly.

Quote:
The Saints are still in contention to re-sign the safety, who signed a one-year, $1.7 million contract with the team last offseason, but appears to be garnering more interest this time around. Sharper reportedly has not scheduled any visits, perhaps an indication that he is still trying to negotiate a deal to remain in New Orleans.

Triplett mentions the Bears, Dolphins and Giants as the Saints’ competition for the 34-year0old safety, who intercepted nine passes in 2009.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/06/report- ... r-sharper/

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Dolphins showing interest in S Darren Sharper
the man still has a lot of football in him. he's playing with speed, aggressiveness, and he's a ballhawk. i'd rather go in a younger route. I dont believe in chris clemons and i dont every think he'll pan out. Miami is definitely taking DT with the first pick so picking up a veteran S might be smart.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Don't forget about WR. I think it's a little more important than FS atm.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:29 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Ski_Money wrote:

excellent point especially with the Jest getting Cromartie and Revis on the other side

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

At 34, he may have played his best ball this past season. Its only a matter of time before his age catches up to him. Typically players at that age don't progressively get worse, it comes all at once. Look at Delhomme as a prime example of a player dropping off quickly. Too me Sharper is a time bomb waiting to go off. He is going to get his money this season, but who is to say he won't drop off significantly this year?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:43 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ski_Money wrote:

We cut our starting FS, we haven't lost any of our WRs. I think we need to find a FS to fill the hole unless the trifecta think Clemons is ready to go.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:13 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post sharper?!
i think we need to bring this guy in like now. but i know the asking price is gonna be higher than we will probly pay. i think we should bring him in, and still draft earl thomas (i dont think berry will be there at 12) and let sharper mentor him. i still believe in clemons but he needs to work on coverage. thoughts?
oh yea :jests: lol

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: sharper?!
Like I just posted in another thread, remember Parcell's motto---bigger is better. With that said, Earl Thomas is not tall nor is he thick. That said, he will not be an option, IMO, regardless of how good he is.

And Chris Clemons does not get enough love on this board man....whenever he came in the game last season, I thought he played real well. I don't remember his man getting past him...ever...and I don't remember many big plays down the field when he was in there in general.

As far as Sharper....if Ross is willing to pay, who the heck cares how much he gets paid? It will be a one year deal in an uncapped year. I'm all for bringing him in to mentor Clemons.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:02 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

clemons just looked lost in coverage at times when he played. i think the guy steps up and is the real deal so we can only worry about nt and wr and a stud olb. i agree about sharper for the 1 year contract but i think he is looking for a 2 year.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Good point about wanting the 2 year deal. You are probably right.

I went to the Dolphins-Patriots game here in Foxboro....Clemons is going to be a beast. He's got great speed, he plays with complete reckless-abandon, (the guy FLIES down the field on ST's, with no regard for his own life, lol), he's got good ball skills. I like him.

Whenever Clemons came in the game, Brady was forced to look elsewhere. The only time they did challenge him deep, Moss had beaten Vontae by a step, and Clemons was actually able to get over and make the play, displaying great range, angle-taking, and ball skills.

I don't agree that he really looked lost. Maybe I'm missing something. But I thought he played well. I think he can be the real deal.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Beg to differ on Clemons. He took terrible angles on tackles and I do recall seeing him get beat deep a few times. He seemed very raw and lacking instinct.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:56 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

That's still only one game where you highlight one play. He's not a proven starter(imo) and even if Sharper declines slightly he will still be a great player for any team. He had one of the best seasons of all safetys(if not the best that year). I wouldn't mind giving him a 2 year where the second year is based on incentives if that is possible. Cause, fair enough, the dude would be 36 by then.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I know that I am sounding like one of those idiots fans who wants the guy on the bench to start, but I really cannot remember how bad Jason Allen was at safety. Did he really get a chance to develop at that position? For the life of me I cannot remember him playing as poorly as Wilson did last year. The problem is that he isn't a very fast learner and it will hinder him to move back to safety.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I rather try Jason Allen, Culver, or Clemons at FS than pick up Sharper. Sharper is good for a season but then we will be in the same situation and will take valuable PT from our young and developing players. Practice can only prepare you so much, game time is where you learn and develop as a player. Draft a S and let our young guys get out there and show why we drafted them to begin with. As far as I can remember Jason Allen played great at the S position. Culver is an underated DB as well, he always seems to make plays out there.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't mind picking up Sharper for a year deal (cheap), but I still think we need to deep threat verticle hands catching WR at #12.

I know we cut our FS, but he wasn't really a starter to begin with and we lost more games by not scoring then getting scored on. I think Nolan can plug the gaps a little bit better than Paul P too.

Who am I though. I trust the FO to do something, and I think we will all agree to some degree also.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We could take Oshiomogho Atogwe from the Rams for no compensation. He's going to want to be paid like a star but if we were willing to pay Rolle we should be willing to pay him.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:00 pm

He is due to hit the wall. Also forget about all that mentoring cr@p. We need players.

I would pass.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joeschmoe wrote:
Quote:
We cut our starting FS, we haven't lost any of our WRs. I think we need to find a FS to fill the hole unless the trifecta think Clemons is ready to go.

We might not have "lost" any of our WR's, but we have some that most other NFL teams would have "lost" already. Our receiving corps is mediocre, at best. I can see Hartline as your #2. I can see Bess and Camarillo in the slot. We still don't have a true #1 receiver and haven't had one for years. This is a passing league. Look at the successful teams in the NFL and then see whether or not they have a true #1 receiver....guess what, they do!

Picking up Sharper would be an excellent move and instantly make our defense much better. A very smart move. Sure, he is not gonna' last more than 2 years....but it might save picks to fill all the other darn holes we have. Atogwe would also be a nice free agent signing.....

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Marshall, Colston, Steve Smith (NYG variety), Welker, and many others are proof that top WRs don't necessarily come in the first round. Of course that's true of most positions, but my point is that we need to draft the best player in the round at a position of need; being DT, S, OLB and THEN WR. There are other rounds to get the WR. The only scenario I can see us taking a WR #1 is if all the top DTs are gone, there's no one to trade down with and Dez is available.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
He is due to hit the wall. Also forget about all that mentoring cr@p. We need players.

I would pass.

I'd high five you over this post if we were sitting in the same room.
Spot on.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I meant to say STeve Smith Carolina variety but actually it's true of both.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]