View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 marshall available for 2nd round pick 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post marshall available for 2nd round pick
http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence ... -here.html

even tho hes a huge trouble maker, with boldin now gone, do u think the fins would be willing to give up a 2 round pick for him. he would tremendously help.. altho ive been hearing that he may be close to signing offer sheet with seattle

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: marshall available for 2nd round pick
This blog also states that the alternative for Pennington as a backup is Pat White...when in fact, it'd most likely be Tyler Thigpen. I don't really buy this.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:00 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

good point, what do u thnk will happen with white... i mean id be pissed if they cut him , they wasted a second round pick on him and i dont wanna see it go to waste, i think hes still got potential, but i was hugely angry wiht him whne he failed to complete a pass this whole entire seaosn. and i was impressed by thigpen vs the steelers he was pretty solid

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:03 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

True..

That 2nd round Pick (White) to me was a waste.. I just didn't get it.. Especially from a group of coaches I hold MUCH respect for.. At the draft, When he was picked.. Most-of-us (Fins Fans) Had a serious look of confusion.. Why make that Pick?? He would've been there another 2 rounds. I don't know what was worse The White Pick, or Literally standing next to 60 or So JETS fanS Laughing at the selection...

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ok, Trade Thigpen for a 2nd and give a 2nd for Brandon? Sounds like a good move to me, especially with Penny on the hook another year. Plus, you know BP will draft a QB somewhere.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:52 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

what universe are you living in that we get a 2d for thigpen?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:19 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If Pat White was worth a second round pick then Marshall is definitely worth it too!

Plus I don't remember too much of Marshall being a problem child until that ass-clown Josh McDaniels showed up in Denver.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:25 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He was more of a problem child before McDaniel's got there than he is now.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ESPN had a piece on OTL on Brandon Marshall in regards to the domestic violence charges that were bought against him by his girl friend. Also, in the trial that is taking place in the murder of Darrant Williams, Marshall and cousin helped escalate the dispute by constantly going after the guy that shot Williams to death.

Michael Lombardi has said on more than one occasion that Mike Shanahan was about to get rid of Marshall while at Denver.

The kid is a supreme talent, but he is also a young man that cannot seem to keep himself out of trouble. As mentioned when folks were talking about going after Anquan Boldin, not only are you giving up the draft pick, but you will have to give Marshall a new contract.

Who ever the team is that picks up Brandon, his contract would have some heavy stipulations in regards to behavior and losing money if he goes astray.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Can we start the official thread stating Marshall is not coming to Miami?

A more realistic but "not gonna happen" scenario would be Miami packaging something for Vincent Jackson (yes I know he recently had a DUI).

I think we need to come to grips with the fact that Miami will probably grab a guy with upside in the 4th round or later. Its possible they would grab Tate or Benn if either slipped that far into the 2nd but I doubt it.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I am sure ex-Denver DC Nolan is advising the Trifecta against it since he lived it firsthand last year.

I would be tempted to throw our 2nd round pick at him with the thought that maybe he'll be happier with a contract with his abilities. Somehow I don't think so. He is just trouble who is walking down the suspension trail.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Marshall is a talented possession receiver, one of the best in the league without a doubt.

But is he really what we need? More move the chains type of offense? We have a young QB with a rocket arm, what we need is a vertical threat. Marshall is not a vertical threat.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Rich wrote:
Marshall is a talented possession receiver, one of the best in the league without a doubt.

But is he really what we need? More move the chains type of offense? We have a young QB with a rocket arm, what we need is a vertical threat. Marshall is not a vertical threat.

Rich, this is where I have to disagree with you. We HAVE the vertical threat...it's Ginn. We know his issues with drops and what not, but we can't dispute his ability to run a straight route and get open. If you were to pair that with, essentially, the premier possession receiver in the league in Marshall, you force the defense to stop you shallow and deep. Marshall is exactly the type of receiver we need to complement Ginn and make him useful.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hallphin wrote:
what universe are you living in that we get a 2d for thigpen?

Madden Land!

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tecmo 3

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kamikaze wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich, this is where I have to disagree with you. We HAVE the vertical threat...it's Ginn. We know his issues with drops and what not, but we can't dispute his ability to run a straight route and get open. If you were to pair that with, essentially, the premier possession receiver in the league in Marshall, you force the defense to stop you shallow and deep. Marshall is exactly the type of receiver we need to complement Ginn and make him useful.

Theoretically your spot on here except Ginn can't catch the ball with any consistency. In a perfect world, your exactly right, but this isn't a perfect world. :(

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:25 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Phin wrote:
Kamikaze wrote:
Rich wrote:

Theoretically your spot on here except Ginn can't catch the ball with any consistency. In a perfect world, your exactly right, but this isn't a perfect world. :(

If you throw deep to Ginn 5 times a game in this situation, and he catches it even twice, it's successful.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kamikaze wrote:

If you throw deep to Ginn 5 times a game in this situation, and he catches it even twice, it's successful.

That's the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard...especially since two of the three that he drops he will kick up with his legs and hand it to the other team the other way for a touchdown. Then one of the 2 that he catches he will manage to fumble away.
1 catch, maybe a touchdown
1 catch a bumble
2 picks off his legs
1 drop
Doesn't sound very successful to me....Ginn has been a joke...cut your losses.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Kamikaze wrote:

That's the most ridiculous logic I've ever heard...especially since two of the three that he drops he will kick up with his legs and hand it to the other team the other way for a touchdown. Then one of the 2 that he catches he will manage to fumble away.
1 catch, maybe a touchdown
1 catch a bumble
2 picks off his legs
1 drop
Doesn't sound very successful to me....Ginn has been a joke...cut your losses.

:hithead:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 am

Kamikaze wrote:
Rich wrote:

There is more to being a vertical threat than running in a straight line and getting open. You have to get open on deep outs, deep square ins, post patterns etc. And when the ball hits you in the hands, you have to catch it.

Sorry but right now there is nothing about Ginn that says "threat".

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Cutler has a rocket arm and it seemed to of worked out for him. I'm all about getting Marshall, but like this thread states if he is really available for a 2nd that get on it. Seriously doubt Denver is not going to get a 1st though.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Destinations for Brandon
The first speculation was that Marshall would be headed to the Seahawks or the Redskins, via two of our NFL Nation bloggers.
Cincinnati has the need for a second WR to go along with Chad Ochocinco, but we're not sure the Bengals would want another head case, T.O. rumors notwithstanding.
The Cowboys need a legitimate No. 1 WR and Jerry Jones would have no problem forking out cash for a new deal to Marshall.
Dave Krieger of the Denver Post speculated on some new spots: the Ravens, Dolphins and Cardinals.

This is per Adam Shefter and the ESPN insider people. It also had the Dolphins listed as interested with a ? on the website as well.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:18 am

MIAcubano13 wrote:
Cutler has a rocket arm and it seemed to of worked out for him. I'm all about getting Marshall, but like this thread states if he is really available for a 2nd that get on it. Seriously doubt Denver is not going to get a 1st though.

With or without rocketarm Cutler, Marshall was still primarily a possession receiver.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Phins Rock wrote:
He was more of a problem child before McDaniel's got there than he is now.

Marshall had some off the field problems but they never interfered with his Sundays until McDaniels Ego came to Denver. Is it Marshall or McDaniel.
While Marshall's history will not cause anyone to mistake him for a choir boy, his only convictable offense has been battery and DUI. Both are recent enough to say he's a tough character to control. Enter Josh McDaniels whose resume reads:
Publicly stated Cutler wasn't his type of QB. He refused to apologize. The sideshow went on for months and ended with the trade of a future star to another team. He then benched Brandon Marshall and the two really never found common ground. This will end with Marshall's departure. What isn't really known is that McDaniel also benched his star TE Tony Scheffler before the last game. While its not known exactly why one thing is for sure in Denver: It is McDaniels way or the high way.
So it is a little of both. Marshall is a tough guy to manage but it appears that McDaniel is having trouble coaching anyone with an ego on this team. Here's Marshall's rap sheet:
On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[55] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[56]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[57] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[58]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[59] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[60] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[61] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[60]

According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[62]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[63] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[64] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[65]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[66] The charges were dropped the following day.[67]

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Rich wrote:
MIAcubano13 wrote:

With or without rocketarm Cutler, Marshall was still primarily a possession receiver.

You can label him whatever you want...the guy was shear production on the field and a serious red-zone threat.
•A fourth-year player who has developed into one of the NFL’s most productive wide receivers, totaling the second-most receptions (206) and the third-most receiving yards (2,590) in the league during the last two years.
•Registered at least 100 catches and 1,200 receiving yards in each of the last two seasons as the only player in the NFL to accomplish that feat.
•Named to the Pro Bowl (starter) for the first time in his career in 2008 after ranking third in the NFL with 104 catches (1,265 yds., 6 TDs) that ranked second in Denver history for a season.
•Tied for the second-most receptions in a game in NFL history with a Broncos-record 18 catches for 166 yards with one touchdown vs. San Diego (9/14/08).
•Set an NFL record for catches in a five-game period with 55 (577 yds., 4 TDs) in a stretch with Denver from 2007-08.
•Totaled 601 of his 2,899 career receiving yards (20.7 percent) after initial contact with a defender according to Stats Inc., including an NFL-high 319 yards after contact in 2007.
•Owns seven 100-yard receiving efforts and six 10-catch outings for his career.
•Recorded 102 receptions in 2007 that marked the third-highest total by a second-year player in NFL history while posting the third-most receiving yards (1,325) for a season in Denver annals.
•Posted the second-most receiving yards (1,195) for a season in University of Central Florida history as a senior en route to earning second-team All-Conference USA honors.
•Selected by the Broncos in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No thanks. While we're at it, let's bring back Lawrence Phillips and Cecil Collins to back up R & R.
Granted, Marshall's got game, but it's not worth the headache and I'm thinking Parcells & co. will agree.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]