View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Gibril Wilson will be released today (now official) 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Gibril Wilson will be released today (now official)
Quote:
Keels is Wilson's agent! RT @AlvinKeels: Dolphins will be releasing Gibril Wilson 2day which will make him free to sign with any other team.

Jeff_Darlington - twitter.com

per Jeff Darlington's Twitter, from Alvin Keels, Wilson's agent. Could this mean we're pursuing Rolle more than expected? Two big contracts dumped with JP and now the gerbil. :yay: :yay:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Gibril Wilson will be released today
Could mean Rolle is possible, maybe Darren Sharper, or maybe they are confident Tyrone Culver could step in and do the job.

I think this is a sign Miami is gearing up to meet the demands of Karlos Dansby by shedding the contracts of Porter and Wilson.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:42 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:
Agent: Dolphins plan to release FS Gibril Wilson
by Edgar Thompson
The Dolphins plan to release much-maligned free safety Gibril Wilson today, according to a “tweet” by his agent, Alvin Keels.

Wilson’s struggles were a big reason the Dolphins defense finished 15th in the AFC in yards allowed per pass play and gave up 38 pass plays of 25 yards or longer.

Many have wondered if the Dolphins would cut Wilson, who signed a five-year deal a year ago with $8 million guaranteed. With an uncapped year looming, Miami could get rid of Wilson without any salary cap ramifications.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/03/05/agent-dolphins-plan-to-release-fs-gibril-wilson/

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Hmmmm now either they feel extremely confident they can sign Rolle or they have a man crush on Eric Berry! :yay:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Another possibility could be Earl Thomas with the 12th pick but there isnt a guarantee he could come in and start right away. Its going to take a few days until we see what their vision is.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Another possibility could be Earl Thomas with the 12th pick but there isnt a guarantee he could come in and start right away. Its going to take a few days until we see what their vision is.

Why don't we just ask them

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'm not sad to see him go. I'll be happy to see some signings soon though. I keep refreshing news pages waiting for a "Dolphins sign Dansby", "Dolphins sign Rolle", or "Dolphins trade for Boldin", but nothing yet.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Gibril Wilson not worth cost for Dolphins
March, 5, 2010
Mar 5
12:14
PM ET
Email Print Share
By Tim Graham
Two years in a row, safety Gibril Wilson signed a handsome contract only to get by released by the team that thought he was worth the price.

Wilson's agent, Alvin Keels, has tweeted the Miami Dolphins have released Wilson after a disappointing season as their free safety.

The Dolphins made Wilson their major free-agent signing last year, giving him a five-year, $27.5 million contract with $8 million in guarantees.

In 2008, the Oakland Raiders gave Wilson a six-year, $39 million contract with $16 million in guarantees. Then the Raiders cut him after a season.

Wilson became the target of Dolfan scorn for his routinely missed tackles and blown coverages on big plays.

Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, speaking with reporters a week ago at the NFL scouting combine, defended Wilson and seemed to indicate they were happy to have him back.

"I think he took a lot of the rap back there," Ireland said. "He was playing with two young corners [rookies Vontae Davis and Sean Smith]. A lot of things that the fans or the media would try to blame him on weren't always his fault.

"But we have our evaluation of Gibril Wilson. We know what kind of player he's capable of being. I think he's going to be a very good player for the future. He's disappointed in his play last year. He would tell you that. He could play better. I think he will."

Then again, maybe he won't.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11153/gibril-wilson-not-worth-cost-for-dolphins

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Doesn't mean anything other than Wilson will be released today.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Lokki wrote:
I'm not sad to see him go. I'll be happy to see some signings soon though. I keep refreshing news pages waiting for a "Dolphins sign Dansby", "Dolphins sign Rolle", or "Dolphins trade for Boldin", but nothing yet.

I hear ya. I pity the fool who posts with one of these titles and then says they are just kidding or early April Fools.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Doesn't mean anything other than Wilson will be released today.

...and there is one more roster spot available, and we freed up a significant amount of money, and we don't have to worry about him missing another tackle..

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iceberg85 wrote:
jammer wrote:

Why don't we just ask them

Why would we automatically trust what they say?

Quote:
The Wilson episode should tell us two things:
1. Don’t believe anything that anyone in this regime says. You remember Bill Parcells saying that Jason Taylor would either play for the Dolphins or retire, just before trading Taylor? Or Jeff Ireland giving Wilson an endorsement at this year’s Combine? And you’ve probably caught onto the Tony Sparano kiss of death — when he says a guy’s doing a good job, that guy ought to start packing. (See Matt Roth, among others.) Again, I don’t blame them for lying or, at the least, choosing not reveal certain information. It’s part of the game. But we should just stop taking anything they say at face value

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_se ... ibril.html

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

joeschmoe wrote:
Quote:
Keels is Wilson's agent! RT @AlvinKeels: Dolphins will be releasing Gibril Wilson 2day which will make him free to sign with any other team.

Jeff_Darlington - twitter.com

per Jeff Darlington's Twitter, from Alvin Keels, Wilson's agent. Could this mean we're pursuing Rolle more than expected? Two big contracts dumped with JP and now the gerbil. :yay: :yay:

THANK YOU GOD! :yay:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Cleaning house.....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:56 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Gibril Wilson will be released today (now official)
best news I've heard all day. I could not stand watching this guy miss tackles, drop picks and chase guys into the endzone, only to walk away shaking his head.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Gibril Wilson will be released today (now official)
I say great move and good riddance to Wilson. Now I can't wait to see who they go after to upgrade the safety spot.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]