View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Olsen Wants to be Traded 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Olsen Wants to be Traded
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/olsen-unhappy-with-hiring-of-martz-wants-a-trade/

Quote:
Peggy Kusinski of NBC Chicago reports that friends of Olsen say he was not happy about the hiring of Martz, and that he quietly sent his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, into "trade request" mode. According to Kusinski, the Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots may be interested.

Olsen led the Bears in catches (60) and touchdowns (eight) in 2009.

I think Olsen is a great TE, and since we are sort of in the market for a TE, what do you think?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Olsen Wants to be Traded
He certainly fits the mode of a TE that can stretch the field, although I am not sure what type of inline blocker Greg is. We have some Canes fans on the board that probably can answer that question.

You just wonder what Chicago would want for him since the used a 1st round pick to draft him a few years ago I believe.

I know Mike Martz wants to bring in one of his former TE from the Rams, a big inline blocking TE. Martz primarily uses WR in his passing game, so I can understand why Olsen wants the trade.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I'd be all over a trade for Olsen, one of my favorite TE's in this league!!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ginn for Olsen? They want WRs, we want TE .. both first round picks.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:09 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

joeschmoe wrote:
Ginn for Olsen? They want WRs, we want TE .. both first round picks.

haha, only in our wildest dreams :)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

maybe if we asked nicely?

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Would love for Miami to get him, but not at the cost of their 2nd. I'd prefer they spend a 3rd or 4th on McCoy or another TE.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

he would be nice to have, but i think we have other gaping needs other than a TE

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Would you trade Ronnie Brown for Greg Olsen straight up? Seems to me, an elite tight end is a lot harder to find than a good running back. And word has it the Bears are in the market for a running back to compete with Forte.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

MNDolfan wrote:
Would you trade Ronnie Brown for Greg Olsen straight up? Seems to me, an elite tight end is a lot harder to find than a good running back. And word has it the Bears are in the market for a running back to compete with Forte.

After the first pick tender on Brown it's clear that they want to keep him but not for any price. Brown and Forte would be a vicious duo, though. Also Brown has more valure than Olsen, imo.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:13 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I don't know if Olsen is THAT much of a step up from Fasano.

That said, heck no. Ronnie is our best player....Olsen would be a good TE for us.....but stretch-the-field TE's aren't something that you absolutely need. Ronnie Brown's are hard to find.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Olsen for a 2nd round pick.....that actually is a pretty good deal. You get a reliable receiving target and red zone threat. Good move in my opinion.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If Olsen were in the 2nd round of this years draft, he'd def be worth it! Fasano doesn't even compare athletically. Hard to believe it would happen since he's the one wanting to leave

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't know if Olsen is THAT much of a step up from Fasano.

That said, heck no. Ronnie is our best player....Olsen would be a good TE for us.....but stretch-the-field TE's aren't something that you absolutely need. Ronnie Brown's are hard to find.

Brown has rushed for 1,000 yards once in five years -- and even then it was only for 1,008 yards. He's gonna be 29 years old by the end of the season. He's played 16 games in a season just ONE time. I think some of you over value Brown. Yeah, he's alright. But is he going to be with this team 2 or 3 years down the road? That's 50/50 at best. Would Greg Olsen be with us 2 or 3 years down the road? That's almost a 100% certainty.

Running backs of Brown's stature are a dime a dozen. Ricky Williams at 30-something years old, rushed for more yards this season than Ronnie Brown has in any of his.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 pm

I think you completely under-value Ronnie.

He's a top 5 RB in the NFL. Period.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:55 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I think you completely under-value Ronnie.

He's a top 5 RB in the NFL. Period.

This is complete and total BS Phins Rock, take the Glasses off. He's not even a top 10 RB... give me a break.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I hope you're being sarcastic....

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Top 5 RB in the league??? Wow...pass me some of that stuff youre smoking...

Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones Drew, Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Ray Rice, just to name 5 that are better....heck, I'd rather have Ricky...

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

for all you cracking on Phins Rock for defending RB, give me the pipe you are smoking from. Olson had one halfway decent year -- there is no way olson is worth a 2d round pick in this year draft for this team. I, for one, would much rather have RB than Olson -- not even close to a hard choice for me.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
Top 5 RB in the league??? Wow...pass me some of that stuff youre smoking...

Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones Drew, Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Ray Rice, just to name 5 that are better....heck, I'd rather have Ricky...

I don't know about Ricky being better than Ronnie...but yeah, I'd like to see Phins Rock list.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 pm

1) Jones Drew
2) CJ
3) Peterson
4) Stephen Jackson
5) Ronnie
6) Ray Rice
7) Gore
8) DeAngelo Williams
9) Michael Turner
10) Ricky

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The fact that you have Jones-Drew number 1 furthers the disbelief I have in you.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I do think he has the talent and potential to have a top 5 season. It's just hasn't proved it. I would definitely rank all those mentioned over RB as well. Also Thomas Jones(oh noes) but the rest of the bunch he stacks up with. All of those are equally marred by injury or had shifting production.

Anyone else think that DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are going to be an absolute beast(more than before) next season?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 pm

It could go either way between CJ and Jones-Drew.

After this past season, no question Peterson, despite the physical phenom he is, is 3.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

enJeppesen wrote:
Anyone else think that DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are going to be an absolute beast(more than before) next season?

I want to see Miami vs Carolina in the Super Bowl with both of their backs healthy. I think that would be a fun game.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Interesting. Guess the difference is most of those guys have produced full, consecutive seasons. But let me get Ronnie's back here. NO ONE can do what Ronnie has done in the Wildcat! They have tried & cannot repeat his success. Yes, Ronnie is a top 5 RB. He can catch better then MJD & Peterson. He's more versatile then Stephen Jackson. & he's stronger then CJ

But getting back to the topic; even if Ronnie is only top 10, he's still too valuable to trade for any TE

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Interesting. Guess the difference is most of those guys have produced full, consecutive seasons. But let me get Ronnie's back here. NO ONE can do what Ronnie has done in the Wildcat! They have tried & cannot repeat his success. Yes, Ronnie is a top 5 RB. He can catch better then MJD & Peterson. He's more versatile then Stephen Jackson. & he's stronger then CJ

But getting back to the topic; even if Ronnie is only top 10, he's still too valuable to trade for any TE

More versatile than Jackson and stronger than Johnson? Prove yourself, or else drown like Phins Rock does with his bold statements not supported by evidence.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Can Steven Jackson run the Wildcat? Can he pass? Can he win games for them with a quarterback liability?

Chris Johnson 5'11" - 200lbs
Ronnie - 6' - 230lbs
CJ is def faster but he can't run through people like The Hummer

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Can Steven Jackson run the Wildcat? Can he pass? Can he win games for them with a quarterback liability?

Ronnie - 6' - 230lbs

So because Ronnie has 30 pounds on Johnson he's apparently stronger? That doesn't make sense. Have the Rams ever run the Wild Cat?
A versatile running back is one that catches 90 balls, and runs it another 350 times....Jackson has done that, has Brown?

Has Brown won games with a quarterback liability?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

if ronnie brown can carry the ball over 250 times a year, then he might be a top 10 RB in the league...until then....

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

Ronnie - 6' - 230lbs

So because Ronnie has 30 pounds on Johnson he's apparently stronger? That doesn't make sense. Have the Rams ever run the Wild Cat?
A versatile running back is one that catches 90 balls, and runs it another 350 times....Jackson has done that, has Brown?

Has Brown won games with a quarterback liability?

I think you see what I'm getting at. I'm not saying Ronnie is better then these 2 but that he has many comparable qualities. If you wanna be a stickler tho-
http://www.chacha.com/question/what-was-chris-johnson's-bench-press-weight-at-the-nfl-combine
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Brown,Ronnie-TB-Auburn.htm Scroll down to "Agility Test" to compare weight lifting. Yes, stronger is better in football

As for my comparison to Jackson, I wanted to make the point that we had a young QB & because of Ronnie's dynamic ability we were able to take pressure off Henne to win games. Bulger sucks at this point but Stephen Jackson isn't able to do enough on his own to save his team when they need it.
Once again, I'm not saying Ronnie is better . . . . just saying theres things Jackson can't do too

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:

I think you see what I'm getting at. I'm not saying Ronnie is better then these 2 but that he has many comparable qualities. If you wanna be a stickler tho-
http://www.chacha.com/question/what-was-chris-johnson's-bench-press-weight-at-the-nfl-combine
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Brown,Ronnie-TB-Auburn.htm Scroll down to "Agility Test" to compare weight lifting. Yes, stronger is better in football

As for my comparison to Jackson, I wanted to make the point that we had a young QB & because of Ronnie's dynamic ability we were able to take pressure off Henne to win games. Bulger sucks at this point but Stephen Jackson isn't able to do enough on his own to save his team when they need it.
Once again, I'm not saying Ronnie is better . . . . just saying theres things Jackson can't do too

Who cares about the bench press when it comes to running backs? It's all about explosion with running backs.

Chris Johnson broad jump: 10'10"
Ronnie Brown broad jump: 9'7"
Chris Johnson vertical jump: 35"
Ronnie Brown vertical jump: 32.5"

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah....Olsen "sucks." :)

His 8 TD's last year say otherwise. That is twice as many TD's as any Miami receiver had.

Oh....2009 was the first year he started more than 7 games....he started in 15 games in 2009, 7 in 2008 and 4 in 2007.

Last edited by FrustratedFinFan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yeah....Olsen "sucks." :)

His 8 TD's last year say otherwise. That is twice as many TD's as any Miami receiver had.

Fasano had 7 in 08....then turned around and laid an egg. TD's are not a barometer of how good a player is.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Olsen is a much greater threat to a defense than Fasano. Fasano did well with Pennington's legendary short-armed accuracy....not so hot with a QB who actually puts zip on the ball.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:31 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:

Who cares about the bench press when it comes to running backs? It's all about explosion with running backs.

Chris Johnson broad jump: 10'10"
Ronnie Brown broad jump: 9'7"
Chris Johnson vertical jump: 35"
Ronnie Brown vertical jump: 32.5"

Bench Press doesn't do a whole lot, practically, for anyone. So actually you're right, except that Power Clean is one of the most explosive exercises you can do. Give CJ a few inches on jumping, Ronnie has a hundred on PC. Guess if you can't jump around 'em, you gotta power thru 'em. haha But the point remains if RB can be closely compared in any given stat to most of the guys in the top 10, it speaks for what kind of special player he is.

& I whole heartedly agree that Olsen is better then Fasano on any day but he's not worth trading Ronnie

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think now is the PERFECT time to trade Ronnie. This is a deep draft. He has finished only one season healthy...despite splitting carries. He will probably never have more value in trade at this point.....

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

how is a guy a top 5 RB in the league when he cant carry the ball more than 250 times a season?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
how is a guy a top 5 RB in the league when he cant carry the ball more than 250 times a season?

potential.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:20 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

he is entering his 6th nfl season....and has torn his acl twice....

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next