View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Will we really fail to see a change at (free) safety? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins2Phins wrote:

With the combine taking place in Indianapolis and free agency around the corner I’m as excited as ever for football season to start. Looking at the combine and how the players have been performing, it seems as though this is going to be a great draft class. Hopefully we manage to pick up players that will make an immediate impact, but we’ll still have to wait over a month to find out who those players are and another six months to watch them play. In the meantime, I’ll go ahead and finish up our review of the defense. I’ll start up by finishing up the secondary today by looking at the safeties and then I’ll make sure to update you on our defensive line before Friday.

Yeremiah Bell.- Bell was one of the three Dolphins’ players selected to play in the Pro Bowl and is by far the best safety we have in the roster. He led the team in tackles with 114 total, making it his second straight season with over 100 tackles. He also had 3 interceptions, and 1.5 sacks, which brings his total up to 7.5 in the time he has played with the Dolphins, the highest total for any defensive back in team history. The only area that Bell can improve upon is one on one coverage, but all in all he is a solid guy that I am confident can make a tackle when needed and has the speed to chase those receivers down when they do get away.

Gibril Wilson.- Where do I even start? Even though Ireland spoke out on behalf of Wilson a couple of days ago I still believe that he will fail to be part of the team in this upcoming season. There really is just no reason to keep him, just like there was no reason to acquire him in the first place. Signing Wilson is easily the biggest mistake this front office has made thus far; sure Ginn missed some big plays but at least he managed to make a couple of big ones as well, Gibril did absolutely nothing. Despite having finished second in the team when it comes to tackles with 91 total, Wilson failed to make a single big play. He didn’t get any interceptions even though he had more than a couple of shots at easy ones, he didn’t even force a fumble. There really are no redeeming qualities in Gibril and I would be more than happy to see him go.

The Rest of the Article at Phins2Phins

Tyrone Culver
Chris Clemons

Darren Sharper (New Orleans Saints)
Nick Collins (Green bay Packers)
Antoine Bethea (Indianapolis Colts)
Eric Berry (Tennessee)
Earl Thomas (Texas)
Nate Allen (South Florida)

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Will we really fail to see a change at (free) safety?
No question in my mind that Miami needs to upgrade Gibril Wilson's safety spot. I would be extremely disappointed if he starts again this upcoming season.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Perhaps the downfalls of the gerbil was blamed on Pasqualoni and the regime has faith in Nolan's scheme. Who knows, maybe Nolan will pull out Wilson's full potential.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joe:I hears ya, but unless Wilson relearns how to tackle and intercept passes as a BIG playmaker in the secondary, we as fans will relive groundhogs day witnessing dismal play again. He is just not that ball hawking safety playmaker that I feel Miami really needs and what better time to address upgrades than in the off season.

Of course, either way, I just hope for the best!

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm not a big fan of the guy either, I'm just saying maybe they see a role for him under Nolan's scheme. Let's hope so, otherwise add this contract with Wilfork's and we have 2 huge mistakes.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Gibril is not a bad player... He's just not starting material.

I can bet we will see at least 1 new face at the Safety position after the draft...

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]