View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Ireland: Tyler Thigpen and Pat White to battle for #2 QB 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ireland: Tyler Thigpen and Pat White to battle for #2 QB
Sun Sentinel wrote:
“Pat was the two pretty much all year long, Thigpen was three,” Ireland said to a group of national media. ”They have to go back into training camp and the offseason program and they’re going to be fighting for the 2-3 positions, and I think both of those guys are going to be fighting for the one position. I think Tyler is going to go into it thinking, ‘I can win this job,’ and Pat’s going to do the same thing. We feel like we’ve got three young, good quarterbacks on our roster that can contribute on this team.”

The Sun Sentinel

RotoWorld wrote:
If Thigpen has a chance to win the No. 2 job, it's a sign that White isn't being counted on for a big role in Wildcat packages. Ireland's statement can also be taken as an admission that there's no room for Chad Pennington in Miami.

RotoWorld

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:23 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ireland: Tyler Thigpen and Pat White to battle for #2 QB
Pat White is a bust as a QB in the NFL. Either use him as a WR or RB or send him packing. What a wasted pick this turned out to be.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

If White beats out Thigpen , Henne better stay healthy. What about Pennington is he in the mix??

In fact looking at the alternatives , Henne better stay healthy period.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

In the conference he mentioned that Pennington wants to be here and that they were in talks about bringing him back as a backup if I remember correctly..

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It doesn't sound like theres any room for Penny if these 2 are competing. If it were up to me I'd cut White before or trade Thigpen before I let Pennington go

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:06 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

They aren't going to cut White. They're going to bulk him up and work on his new throwing motion.

I really don't think there's going to be much of a competition here. Unless White takes a major step forward, Thigpen should beat the pants off of him.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

FINesse wrote:
If White beats out Thigpen , Henne better stay healthy. What about Pennington is he in the mix??

In fact looking at the alternatives , Henne better stay healthy period.

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS — General manager Jeff Ireland can’t say whether the 2009 Dolphins would have been better with Chad Pennington at quarterback.

But Pennington’s season-ending right shoulder injury in Week 3 at San Diego gave the Dolphins a chance for a good look at Chad Henne.

“We have young players, have to see them develop,” Ireland said. “I don’t have a crystal ball, so I don’t know how much better off we were without Chad Pennington. But Chad Henne is our quarterback right now.

“His playing time and the experience he had in 2009 was exceptional. He was put in some tough situations, and he needs to develop. I’m very pleased.”

But plenty of questions remain about the Dolphins quarterback situation, beginning with the possible return of Pennington.

Pennington, who turns 34 on June 26, is a free agent coming off his third surgery to his throwing shoulder, but could help a quarterback-needy team like St. Louis.

He also could help the Dolphins as a veteran backup, while continuing to mentor Henne.

In fact, if Pennington returns and is healthy, he might give Henne a run for the starting job in training camp.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -qb-plans/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:12 am
Profile YIM

Tyler Thigpen is a very capable QB, and will be a great back-up.

White will be the number "2" on gameday, but Thigpen will be the back-up, just as before Pennington got hurt, with Henne being the 3, but the backup at the same time.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Tyler Thigpen is a very capable QB, and will be a great back-up.

White will be the number "2" on gameday, but Thigpen will be the back-up, just as before Pennington got hurt, with Henne being the 3, but the backup at the same time.

..And after Pennington got hurt?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:53 pm

??

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 pm

White needs to hope he can make it out of camp.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Some battle.....barring a major pre-season injury, Tyler Thigpen will easily win the "battle" for that #2 QB slot. In fact, he might give Henne a little run for his money. The one thing I like about Thigpen is his mobility. He adds another dimension to the offense in that regard.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
??

White was in the same role with Pennington in, and with him out...so to specify seemed ridiculous.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Ok. Lol.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 pm
Dolphins Fanatics Online Admin
Dolphins Fanatics Online Admin

Quote:
In fact, if Pennington returns and is healthy, he might give Henne a run for the starting job in training camp.

I don't see how this would "build for the future". It's not a situation like the Vikings had where the only position that needed an upgrade was quarterback. Unless Henne completely falls apart or has a pre-season injury I am sure he has the starting job locked up.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

White was listed as the #2 QB a lot last year so he could be used in the WC. I don't think the #3 QB can enter the game unless the #1 is injured and can't return.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:00 am

The number 3 can come in at any time, but once he does the starter and backup cannot come in until some point in the 4th quarter.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:28 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I don't mean to be harsh but right now White has little to no value unless we're committing to running the option. Even then its not like Thigpen isn't capable since you've seen him take direct snap/QB sneaks. Now Pat has run a 4.5 & Tyler a 4.7 so theres a clear difference but Pat hasn't completed a pass . . . Tyler has more size & is almost as mobile. Ya'll have seen him run w/ a receiving TD vs TB & Oh, he showed some stuff here - http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008122102/2008/REG16/dolphins@chiefs/watch

I know you're saying we can't drop Pat so soon after we drafted him. Its not that I want to either (I have a White jersey). But my point is that we have 2 other QBs with more to offer our team right now. Thigpen is better & if we could some how convince Pennington to stay on as a back up, the veteran experience & leadership will go so much farther for our team

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
The number 3 can come in at any time, but once he does the starter and backup cannot come in until some point in the 4th quarter.

Sure, he can come in at any time, but if that time is before the 4th quarter you can't use your other quarterbacks for the remainder of the game.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
White was listed as the #2 QB a lot last year so he could be used in the WC. I don't think the #3 QB can enter the game unless the #1 is injured and can't return.

If QB #3 is listed as the Emergency QB (he is not counted against the 45 man game day roster), he cannot enter the game until the 4th quarter without ramifications. If he does enter the game before the 4th quarter, neither the #1 or #2 QB can come back in the game even if they are healthy.

That is why White was listed as the #2. So that he could come in the game for his Pistol package without disqualifying Henne from re-entering.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
In fact, he might give Henne a little run for his money. The one thing I like about Thigpen is his mobility. He adds another dimension to the offense in that regard.

Henne better stay healthy or he might never see the field in a dolphin uniform again.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I liked Thigpen when I saw him in KC. I think this guy has a lot of potential and could emerge into a real player. Pat White has never looked comfortable to me as an NFL QB. I think it is time for a position change to WR. He looks way too short and frail for the NFL game at QB.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

catman_56 wrote:
I think this guy has a lot of potential and could emerge into a real player.

He is what you've seen. No more, no less.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I don't think so iowa. I think he still has a lot of room to grow. Remember he wasn't even recruited to play QB in college, and he ended up going to a D III school. He's only going into his 4th season.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Remember he wasn't even recruited to play QB in college

Exactly, which means teams won't tolerate his huge learning curve, and he'll never get to start a whole season. What you see is what you get with him, because his progress will be so slow.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 pm

His progress has been pretty darn quick so far....

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
His progress has been pretty darn quick so far....

You don't need to swear to make a point, you need evidence.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:22 pm

OK, how about his play in KC 2 seasons ago, in just his 2nd NFL season?? He was awesome.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
OK, how about his play in KC 2 seasons ago, in just his 2nd NFL season?? He was awesome.

How is that progress? He started the same as he finished, and that is inconsistent. Even in his one quarter with Miami we saw how he can throw a TD, improv with the best of them, but then turn around and throw two ill advised throws.

He hasn't improved...he is A.J. Feeley all over again. He can lead an offense to a few scores, and maybe even lead a last minute drive, but when it's all said and done, his improvisation leads to too many mistakes.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:18 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

how about we just cut Pat White and keep Pennington.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:
how about we just cut Pat White and keep Pennington.

I'd be ok with trading White to a team not in the division for a sandwich, but not just flat out cutting him, and especially not cutting him for a player that really won't be able to provide much as far as playing...the guy's shoulder is wrecked.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:38 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

How is that progress? He started the same as he finished, and that is inconsistent. Even in his one quarter with Miami we saw how he can throw a TD, improv with the best of them, but then turn around and throw two ill advised throws.

He hasn't improved...he is A.J. Feeley all over again. He can lead an offense to a few scores, and maybe even lead a last minute drive, but when it's all said and done, his improvisation leads to too many mistakes.

Just because he wasn't the savior in his first year as a starter in KC and didn't single-handedly beat Pittsburgh in his one quarter all season for us doesn't mean he can't improve.

Do you think Henne can improve? Both have had one season of substantial starting time: Henne 12 TD/ 14 INT, Thigpen 18 TD/ 12 INT (with KC). Sure Thigpen threw some costly bad passes, but who's to say Henne wouldn't have?

I'm a fan of Henne and think he'll be the week 1 starter, but I just don't agree at all calling Thigpen the next AJ Feeley right now. The fact is that both QBs have the ability to improve, and I think they both will. Having more starting experience with this offense gives Henne the clear edge right now.

Pat White is as good as gone IMO. The truer QB competition would be between Henne and Thigpen if there really is going to be one.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

tonelaxn13 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Just because he wasn't the savior in his first year as a starter in KC and didn't single-handedly beat Pittsburgh in his one quarter all season for us doesn't mean he can't improve.

Do you think Henne can improve? Both have had one season of substantial starting time: Henne 12 TD/ 14 INT, Thigpen 18 TD/ 12 INT (with KC). Sure Thigpen threw some costly bad passes, but who's to say Henne wouldn't have?

I'm a fan of Henne and think he'll be the week 1 starter, but I just don't agree at all calling Thigpen the next AJ Feeley right now. The fact is that both QBs have the ability to improve, and I think they both will. Having more starting experience with this offense gives Henne the clear edge right now.

Pat White is as good as gone IMO. The truer QB competition would be between Henne and Thigpen if there really is going to be one.

It doesn't take long to figure out if a QB has "it" or not. Henne does, Thigpen doesn't. He's a fine backup, and can move an offense...but so is AJ Feeley.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:53 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
It doesn't take long to figure out if a QB has "it" or not. Henne does, Thigpen doesn't. He's a fine backup, and can move an offense...but so is AJ Feeley.

I guess we just simply disagree here. I think Thigpen could be more than a backup someday, but I'm happy with Henne starting. Having "it" is a pretty subjective matter anyways.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

tonelaxn13 wrote:
Having "it" is a pretty subjective matter anyways.

You are correct. That's how I end arguments that I can't win, I use subjective material.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think Thigpen is actually a better fit than White for the wildcat/change of pace offense. He has a lot more NFL experience, is bigger, throws better, and has good speed.

I think it is too early to completely give up on White. However, I think his new role should be as a "slash" type of WR/RB/QB.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]