View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Ireland Talks Needing Of A Big Chunk Receiver 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Ireland Talks Needing Of A Big Chunk Receiver
Though Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland still likes WR Patrick Turner, he called out the 2009 third-rounder Thursday.

"He's got to step up," said Ireland. "He's a player for the future ... Hes a big, huge target, which this young quarterback needs, and we feel very good about his development." Clearly not ready for the NFL, Turner was left behind by Brian Hartline last season. We're not expecting any fantasy value in 2010.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Dolphins GM conceded that finding "big-play makers" for his offense is a priority this offseason.

Just finished our 20-minute session with Miami Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland here at the Indianapolis Combine.

Will get you Ireland’s most important statements on a number of topics — Joey Porter, Gibril Wilson, Chad Henne, et al — as quickly as I can.

For now, here’s what Ireland said when asked the need for a true No. 1 wide receiver:

“Every offense needs big-play makers,” Ireland said. “Every offense does. This offense is no different. We need big-play makers. We need players that make chunk yardage. We need players that score touchdowns. We need ‘chunk’ players.

“We think we got two young players with Pat [Turner] and Brian [Hartline] that can give us the start of that process. We’ve got a good nucleus of other players with Teddy [Ginn] and [Greg] Camarillo and [Davone] Bess. We feel like we’ve got a good young nucleus of talent there, but we do need that big-play playmaker in my mind.”

Does he have a No. 1 on the roster currently?

“Right now we have a number one on our roster, sure,” he said without naming him. “But we need to get more production out of the wide receiver position.”

As for the two young receivers he drafted a year ago, Brian Hartline (fourth round) and Patrick Turner (third round):

“We took Pat earlier than Brian. These players they develop in different stages. We just had Patrick on the board a little higher, obviously. Brian came in and learned the offense really well and really did a nice job developing quickly and learned a couple positions at the same time. Brian, obviously given the playing time is a little more ahead than Patrick is right now.

“Patrick’s got to step it up. He’s got to step up. He’s a player for the future. We like the player very much. He’s a big, huge target, which this young quarterback needs, and we feel very good about his development.”

Did Ireland ever see Turner — active for just two games, which he spent entirely on special teams — losing confidence last year?

“No, I didn’t see that,” Ireland said. “I didn’t see the guy losing confidence.”

Did Turner’s struggles point out the difficulty of evaluating receivers in the draft?

“There’s more of them,” he said. “There’s more wide receivers than any other position. You have a lot to look at. It’s a difficult position to evaluate, a difficult position to play.”

Later, when I asked Ireland to list the most important traits he looks for in a wide receiver, he smiled and refused to answer.

Yeah, I’d say the Dolphins are on the lookout for another wideout. Preferably one of those “big, huge targets” like Turner was supposed to be.

Ted Ginn is supposed to be the Dolphins "chunk player," but he spent much of the 2009 season on the bench. Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant is best "big-play maker" available in the draft.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Related: Dez Bryant

The goal with Wake is clear, Ireland says: To make him a full-time player. "Cam is getting ready," but he still has work to do. "Jason Ferguson is doing very well in his rehab," and he should be ready to go by season's start. Ireland sounds like Ferg could be back... Porter's Super Bowl chatter had "nothing" to do with his pending release. Performance on the field -- or lack of it -- was most important.

Chad Henne is "the future of the organization," and Ireland is very pleased with his development.. Ireland says Will Allen's arrest "is something we're not happy about," but he'll let the process play out.

"Every offense needs big playmakers, and this offense is no different," Ireland says. "We need more production from (WR) position."

Jeff Ireland defends Gibril Wilson He's playing a position with 2 young corners. A lot of things weren't always his fault. We have our evaluation of Gibril. We know what kind of player he’s capable of being. I think he’s going to be a very good player for the future, He was disappointed in his play last year. I think he can play better. We’ll just have to see. I think he will.

Courtesy of the Miami Dolphin Bandits via facebook

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland acknowledged Thursday that inside linebacker is an area of need this offseason.
"We have to get more production from the inside linebacker position," Ireland said. "They know that, we know that, you guys know that." The Dolphins are expected to be among the most aggressive pursuers of Karlos Dansby in free agency. If Dansby's price tag is too high, Alabama's Rolando McClain could be an option in the draft.
Source: Palm Beach Post Related: Karlos Dansby, Rolando McClain

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ireland Talks Needing Of A Big Chunk Receiver
You mean Ted GInn isn't the answer?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:

go figure. huh :hithead:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:

is 1 guy ever the answer? It takes a nucleus of players to be successful at this level.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

:cry:

Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

is 1 guy ever the answer? It takes a nucleus of players to be successful at this level.

:hithead:

Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

:hithead:

:no:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:58 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Then sign a big time receiver already.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:31 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Chad Henne is "the future of the organization," and Ireland is very pleased with his development

:yay:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

With the ___ pick of the draft (maybe a trade needed here), the Miami Dolphins select Dez Bryant, wide receiver, Oklahoma State....

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

That would work for me, especially if Miami can bring Karlos Dansby into the fold.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If they draft Dez Bryant, I will probably have a coronary.....better get a defibrillator station set up now!!! It would be one of the greatest draft days ever!!!!!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

:)

Frustrated, just out of curiousty, if the Dolphins don't take Dez, how do you rank the rest of the WR's in this draft?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They just said on NFL network that dansby can very well end up in Miami but watch out for the steinbrenner of the NFL Dan Snyder! and he wants 30 mill guaranteed

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well.....

I don't see this WR class being anywhere near as good as last year's.....

I don't really think Benn is the guy we need. He should make a fine #2 receiver. He is not a big gamebreaker.....but it is hard to judge that because of the craptacular offense he played for in Illinois.

I like Dezmon Briscoe.....6'3" tall, 200 lbs, looks to have great football speed and instincts. Physical WR, as he should be. I see them listing his 40 yard time as close to 4.6, but he sure doesn't look slow on a football field!!!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

I love Mardy Gilyard's stats at Cincinnati.....but look at the caliber of the opposition they play....and then look at his 187 lb body.....and you have to have doubts about his moving on to the next level....Still, so productive......you gotta' think he can be a good one if you have confidence in his ability to bulk up and play in the NFL. Looks to have blazing speed (I see an estimate of 4.5 in the 40 yard dash.....bet he exceeds that in the combine though) and is a good return man too.

He could be another Desean Jackson, but then again....might he be another Ted Ginn??? I think he is the real deal, he might be worth a look if you aren't going for a WR in round #1. Not the size and strength guy I think we need....but sometimes guys can do it all with speed, moves and intelligence.....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Here is a breakdown on Brandon Lafell that is an interesting read http://www.newerascouting.com/02/brando ... ng-report/. When you finish, you kind of see the guy as being an NFL receiver....just not the guy Miami needs though. A solid #2, not a #1. That site also has a nice evaluation of Golden Tate. It is funny....the rate him high, but a lot of what is said in the report makes you see him as not quite ready for the NFL yet....but certainly a talent that can be developed into a top WR. Again, not what I think the Miami Dolphins want or need right now.

After Bryant, I like Briscoe. Gilyard might be a great pick too.....but so much downside there if his game doesn't translate to the NFL. I think he is a real boom or bust kind of guy.

So.....if I were choosing....and thank God I am not......

1) Dez Bryant
2) Dezmon Briscoe
3) Mardy Gilyard....a gut feeling here.....
4) Golden Tate
5) Brandon Lafell

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like the kid from Georgia Tech a lot, Demaryius Thomas. 6'3, 230 lbs and was supposedly running 4.3 40 during testing in his workouts before he broke his foot.

I think that will hurt him, not really because of the break, because from what I have read it is a clean break and should heal fine. He needed the combine and Pro Day to show scouts and coaches that he could run precise, clean routes since that is the big concern with him coming out of Georgia Tech.

That being said, this kid is a big, fast playmaker that I think will be there in the 3rd round.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:33 am

Briscoe is an interesting prospect you don't here much about..

But just like every year, those no-names will show up at the combine and pro days, and all of a sudden 'they could sneak into the first round'. Last year it was Ramses Barden, this year it could be Briscoe.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]