View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Should we Resign Nate Jones? 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Should we Resign Nate Jones?
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/02/miami-dolphins-nate-jones-heads-toward-free-agency.html

Quote:
Jason Taylor and Chad Pennington are the Dolphins’ most pressing decisions when it comes to the start of free agency on March 5, but they have a tough call when it comes to Nate Jones as well.

The veteran nickel corner is undersized but he’s been a playmaker and a solid contributor throughout his two-year stay with the Dolphins. Before that he gave the Trifecta what it was looking for in Dallas when it drafted him in the seventh round out of Rutgers in 2004.

This guy has been a solid nickel corner, and I think Jason Allen is too unpredictable to rely on. I say we keep Nate Jones, being that we are already thin at the position and you can never have enough solid CBs. Thoughts?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Should we Resign Nate Jones?
joeschmoe wrote:
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/02/miami-dolphins-nate-jones-heads-toward-free-agency.html

Quote:
Jason Taylor and Chad Pennington are the Dolphins’ most pressing decisions when it comes to the start of free agency on March 5, but they have a tough call when it comes to Nate Jones as well.

The veteran nickel corner is undersized but he’s been a playmaker and a solid contributor throughout his two-year stay with the Dolphins. Before that he gave the Trifecta what it was looking for in Dallas when it drafted him in the seventh round out of Rutgers in 2004.

This guy has been a solid nickel corner, and I think Jason Allen is too unpredictable to rely on. I say we keep Nate Jones, being that we are already thin at the position and you can never have enough solid CBs. Thoughts?

Agreed. Let him test the market, but I doubt he finds a better job with better pay elsewhere. If hasn't risen above nickel back status yet, he likely won't.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes, keep him. No sense in letting solid players walk away from your team.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

if he is cheap then we keep him. He is solid special teams player although he is lacking as a 3rd CB.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MTFan wrote:
if he is cheap then we keep him. He is solid special teams player although he is lacking as a 3rd CB.

I agree... I have no problem with him as a 4th or 5th corner back, but not as the nickel. His real value comes on special teams.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:49 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MNDolfan wrote:
MTFan wrote:

I agree... I have no problem with him as a 4th or 5th corner back, but not as the nickel. His real value comes on special teams.

So you'd rather depend on Jason Allen as the nickel?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

MNDolfan wrote:
MTFan wrote:

I Disagree...Nate was our third best corner this season after Will got hurt and his ball skills are very good IMO. I think he's better than JA and should end up being our 4th CB, at times nickle CB considering Will Allen is back.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

joeschmoe wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:
MTFan wrote:

So you'd rather depend on Jason Allen as the nickel?

What does Jason Allen have to do with this topic? Nate Jones showed time and time again he cannot do the job as a nickleback.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:

What does Jason Allen have to do with this topic? Nate Jones showed time and time again he cannot do the job as a nickleback.

Such as...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MTFan wrote:

He would be the next in line if Jones were to go.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:33 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:

Such as...

dangit Iowa we just went over this, and you even went through your game tape and found out the truth about Nate Jones.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:33 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think Nate Jones had a solid season for Miami and should be re signed.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:34 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

joeschmoe wrote:
MTFan wrote:

this isn't a factory where the next in line gets the job. If he were to go, which I hope we can keep him for special teams purposes, somebody else would be brought in to compete for the job.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MTFan wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
MTFan wrote:

this isn't a factory where the next in line gets the job. If he were to go, which I hope we can keep him for special teams purposes, somebody else would be brought in to compete for the job.

Whats the big knock on Nate Jones? I think he fit his role very well and deserves to be resigned. And how many guys out there are more capable? And our 16th overall pick is just gonna sit and be the 4th string CB on our team forever? You make no sense.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:

Such as...

dangit Iowa we just went over this, and you even went through your game tape and found out the truth about Nate Jones.

Lol..what? The truth? I told you it was the freakin' scheme. Now tell me about all these times that he's proven he can't play nickelback.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:

Whats the big knock on Nate Jones? I think he fit his role very well and deserves to be resigned. And how many guys out there are more capable? And our 16th overall pick is just gonna sit and be the 4th string CB on our team forever? You make no sense.

You forget, Joe, that in order to be on MTFan's team you have to be at least a 90 on Madden and be great in every aspect of your game regardless of the scheme that the coordinator puts together for you....unless you have speed like Ted Ginn and have potential to be good.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Lol..what? The truth? I told you it was the freakin' scheme. Now tell me about all these times that he's proven he can't play nickelback.

oh yeah, the scheme. Always the schemes fault.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

You forget, Joe, that in order to be on MTFan's team you have to be at least a 90 on Madden and be great in every aspect of your game regardless of the scheme that the coordinator puts together for you....unless you have speed like Ted Ginn and have potential to be good.

a 90? please, a nickle should atleast be an 80, but with 85 speed, 65 tackling, and 70 catching

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Let me try again. Please tell me about all these times that he's proven he can't play nickelback.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Let me try again. Please tell me about all these times that he's proven he can't play nickelback.

besides the A Johnson blunder? Do you remember our late season win versus New England? Nate Jones was doing such a fabulous job on Welker that the coaches rewarded him by bringing in Jason Allen to man up with Welker in the second half. Welkers stats suddenly dropped off after the switch was made. Job well done Jones.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
besides the A Johnson blunder? Do you remember our late season win versus New England? Nate Jones was doing such a fabulous job on Welker that the coaches rewarded him by bringing in Jason Allen to man up with Welker in the second half. Welkers stats suddenly dropped off after the switch was made. Job well done Jones.

:hithead: Andre Johnson blunder, huh. Name me one freakin' nickelback in this league that could jam Johnson at the line, and NOT keep him from scoring with no inside help. The fact is, he should not have been put in that situation to begin with.

And you must be confused about that New England game. Not only does Welker catch 8-10 balls a game every game, but again I ask you why is it sometimes you look at the stats and not the game, and others the game but not the stats?

Both work together to tell a story....Welker caught a 58 yard bomb, the rest was underneath stuff where he was manned up. It was when Pasquoloni took his head out of his butt that he realized Welker needs to be bracketed. Even then Welker got his yards. That 58 yard bomb was Bell being out of position....why are there 3 guys chasing him? You want to blame it on Jones and not the other two?
Why do you think Pasquoloni was fired? Do you think it's because Jones can't play nickelback? No, it's because he can't call plays, and he can't gameplan. That was evident in the situations in which you declare that Jones can't play nickelback.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Andre Johnson blunder, huh. Name me one freakin' nickelback in this league that could jam Johnson at the line, and NOT keep him from scoring with no inside help.
And you must be confused about that New England game. Not only does Welker catch 8-10 balls a game every game, but again I ask you why is it sometimes you look at the stats and not the game, and others the game but not the stats?

Both work together to tell a story....Welker caught a 58 yard bomb, the rest was underneath stuff where he was manned up. It was when Pasquoloni took his head out of his butt that he realized Welker needs to be bracketed. Even then Welker got his yards. That 58 yard bomb was Bell being out of position....why are there 3 guys chasing him? You want to blame it on Jones and not the other two?
Why do you think Pasquoloni was fired? Do you think it's because Jones can't play nickelback? No, it's because he can't call plays, and he can't gameplan. That was evident in the situations in which you declare that Jones can't play nickelback.

that was Jones job, don't let him get inside, make him go outside, he failed. Again you blame the D-Coordinator in the New England game. Fine. So why did he replace Jones with Allen if it was the scheme? I cannot keep giving you examples if you keep blaming the scheme. Oh, and if I remember correctly Welker had ZERO catches once the switch was made.

Last edited by MTFan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
:hithead: Andre Johnson blunder, huh.

yes, blunder. One simple responsibility and he failed.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
:hithead: Andre Johnson blunder, huh.

yes, blunder. One simple responsibility and he failed.

Why....WHY should a nickelback of any sort on ANY team be asked to jam Johnson at the line and keep him from scoring with NO help? How can you not see that that is horrible play calling and scheme? How? It blows my mind.

Seriously, name me any other nickel corner...or regular starting corner that can take Andre Johnson one-on-one, no help and jam him at the line and keep him from going inside?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
So why did he replace Jones with Allen if it was the scheme? I cannot keep giving you examples if you keep blaming the scheme. Oh, and if I remember correctly Welker had ZERO catches once the switch was made.

I honestly can't say for sure that Allen replaced Jones, and I don't remember when and if he did come in. But there wasn't a single quarter where Welker was held catchless...and even so, the defense went to zone, and the offense held the ball a LOT longer in the second half and scored points, thus leading to less possessions for the Patriots.

But if you can show me evidence of when and where Allen did a better job than Jones...please, do so.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:25 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:
So why did he replace Jones with Allen if it was the scheme? I cannot keep giving you examples if you keep blaming the scheme. Oh, and if I remember correctly Welker had ZERO catches once the switch was made.

I honestly can't say for sure that Allen replaced Jones, and I don't remember when and if he did come in. But there wasn't a single quarter where Welker was held catchless...and even so, the defense went to zone, and the offense held the ball a LOT longer in the second half and scored points, thus leading to less possessions for the Patriots.

But if you can show me evidence of when and where Allen did a better job than Jones...please, do so.

I'm not saying Allen is better by any means. I am just pointing out that Allen replaced Jones in a crucial game. If Jones is a great as you say he is this never would have happened.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
MTFan wrote:

I'm not saying Allen is better by any means. I am just pointing out that Allen replaced Jones in a crucial game. If Jones is a great as you say he is this never would have happened.

Really...I say everything I did, and that's all you have to say?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:

do I really have to go any deeper than that?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

do I really have to go any deeper than that?

I asked you four questions, and you avoided all of them.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

what were the questions again?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
Why....WHY should a nickelback of any sort on ANY team be asked to jam Johnson at the line and keep him from scoring with NO help?

If Jones needs help keeping a WR from coming inside he shouldn't be on the field. He was not jamming the WR on the play. He showed poor footwork on a crucial play in a crucial game. Make the WR go outside or atleast around you to the inside don't just let him go inside. pathetic.

Iowafin wrote:
How can you not see that that is horrible play calling and scheme?

If Jones would have done his job properly it would have been a great call, Schaub had about 1 second to throw the ball. Granted, Pasqualoni overall schemed and called defenses badly that game, but not on that play.

Iowafin wrote:
How?

see above

Iowafin wrote:
Seriously, name me any other nickel corner...or regular starting corner that can take Andre Johnson one-on-one, no help and jam him at the line and keep him from going inside?

there are numerous players in the league who could have kept the WR from coming inside so easily. Jones wasn't even our teams best 3rd CB and we had a weak secondary. So if you really want a list I can give you one but my fingers might get tired.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

MTFan wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Why....WHY should a nickelback of any sort on ANY team be asked to jam Johnson at the line and keep him from scoring with NO help?

If Jones needs help keeping a WR from coming inside he shouldn't be on the field. He was not jamming the WR on the play. He showed poor footwork on a crucial play in a crucial game. Make the WR go outside or atleast around you to the inside don't just let him go inside. pathetic.

Iowafin wrote:
How can you not see that that is horrible play calling and scheme?

If Jones would have done his job properly it would have been a great call, Schaub had about 1 second to throw the ball. Granted, Pasqualoni overall schemed and called defenses badly that game, but not on that play.

Iowafin wrote:
How?

see above

Iowafin wrote:

there are numerous players in the league who could have kept the WR from coming inside so easily. Jones wasn't even our teams best 3rd CB and we had a weak secondary. So if you really want a list I can give you one but my fingers might get tired.

Here's some help Iowa...

MT, are you dull? Do you know who Andre Johnson is? He's not going against Ted Ginn bro, he's not up against Adam James post-concussion post-prisoner-of-an-electrical-closet. Saying that Nate Jones is not a good nickle cornerback because he cannot cover Andre Johnson is about the dumbest thing you could say. If the Texan coaches are smart enough to line up Andre in the slot, we need to be smart enough to put a #1 corner on him or give our nickle back some extra help, which we didn't. So, it's either Paul P's fault, or we just wanted Nate to give up some catches against a top 3 WR in the game.

And no, sorry to burst your bubble, but there are NO nicklebacks who can cover Andre Johnson, none, zero, zip, zulch. His job was to cover him, not soley press him inside...if it was he'd get burned over the top.

Nate Jones played well all year and let up a few good catches against two of the best WRs in the game, a game where offense is king.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What he said. I'm not going to dignify myself a response to that.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:40 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

BigFish, try to keep up. I'm not saying Nate Jones can cover Andre Johnson. NJones had 1 job, stop him from getting inside of him, not hard to do. He could get beat anywhere, just not to the inside. There are numerous DB's in the league who could have accomplished this simple task. That was only 1 example I used since it was a crucial point in a crucial game. I understand who Andre Johnson is, but that does not give Jones the right to just lay down.

BigFish, where did I say Jones is not a good nickle cause he couldn't cover Andre Johnson? If I need to type slower, just let me know. You should re-read my posts before you type out some response. So you can go ahead and burst my bubble all you want as long as you know what your talking about.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:

What? Were we watching the same guy? He played exceedingly well as the nickel.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

eleaf wrote:
MTFan wrote:

What? Were we watching the same guy? He played exceedingly well as the nickel.

we must not have been

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]