View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Sparano Forced To Drop Conservative Playbook 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Sparano Forced To Drop Conservative Playbook
Great article from Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports

just a small part of the article:
Quote:
“I spent a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror, knowing that I need to make the change. Obviously, three-quarters of my staff on offense is new [headed by new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll]. That’s something that I felt we had to do. I feel like Brian’s style is more aggressive … [But] it started with me with big plays and how hard we had to work to advance the ball down field in the past. That’s where I had to look at myself and say, ‘I’m the CEO of the football part of it. If I see it broke, I have to fix it and it has to start with me.’ We couldn’t crawl down the field anymore.”

Read more here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_tony_sparano_chad_henne_miami_dolphins082211

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Sparano Forced To Drop Conservative Playbook
"We couldn't crawl down field anymore"

Bout time he freaking realized that.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:52 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Man he's a slow learner.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Why is he a slow learner ? It is how he was brought up coaching wise...he fired Paul Pasqualoni after a bad year...fired his friend who was our special teams coach in the middle of the season after a dreadful performance...and let go of Henning this year..coinciding with Parcells leaving....he is growing into his own as a coach..this is his first HC job...he wasn't going to go against Parcells right off the bat would he ??

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Why is he a slow learner ?

For one we all figured out the wildcat took reps and momentum away form Henne. He is the headcoach and he should have changed that with Henning, his OC. second, he almost got replaced this offseason so the owner might have thought he's a slow learner as well. Better late than never though, I hope he's successful this season with the new look offense.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Going into last season Sparano had to expect the Brown and Williams would just do serious damage to defenses, and unfortunately that didn't happen. Its also not going to happen this year.

Quick strike throws from Henne to his playmakers are what this team needs. Get those guys moving in the open.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphan74 wrote:
Why is he a slow learner ? It is how he was brought up coaching wise...he fired Paul Pasqualoni after a bad year...fired his friend who was our special teams coach in the middle of the season after a dreadful performance...and let go of Henning this year..coinciding with Parcells leaving....he is growing into his own as a coach..this is his first HC job...he wasn't going to go against Parcells right off the bat would he ??

Yes, and unfortunately, we got stuck with Pasqualoni as our HC here at UConn. Nobody was happy with that and now they're talking about firing our AD. I can't get rid of the guy.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think that he was definitely handcuffed because of Parcells just like Henne was because of Henning. One way to find out...

LET HER FLY... I think we will see alot more big plays. I think I noticed this stat the most. We only had 4 plays over 40 yds.
San Diego had the most with I think 14. I'm gonna throw this out there now. I think we will beat San Diego's number this year.

I see so many weapons and not enough playmakers on anyone's defense to stop them all. It really all comes down to Henne and how he does this year. I have faith that he has the tools. Now he just has to have the confidence in himself and the team, and we could be off to the races.

The Defense speaks for itself. We will be better than last year.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

10acjed wrote:
Great article from Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports

just a small part of the article:
Quote:
“I spent a lot of time looking at myself in the mirror, knowing that I need to make the change. Obviously, three-quarters of my staff on offense is new [headed by new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll]. That’s something that I felt we had to do. I feel like Brian’s style is more aggressive … [But] it started with me with big plays and how hard we had to work to advance the ball down field in the past. That’s where I had to look at myself and say, ‘I’m the CEO of the football part of it. If I see it broke, I have to fix it and it has to start with me.’ We couldn’t crawl down the field anymore.”

Read more here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_tony_sparano_chad_henne_miami_dolphins082211

Nice article but it doesn't say anything in there about him being 'forced' to change. Naturally if he wants to keep his job he was to do something different than what we did last year. Sounds like trying to throw something against the wall and see what hits…

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Larryfinfan wrote:

Nice article but it doesn't say anything in there about him being 'forced' to change. Naturally if he wants to keep his job he was to do something different than what we did last year. Sounds like trying to throw something against the wall and see what hits…

I think you misinterpreted the title, the writer wasnt insinuating someone else forced him, but the fact that he had to adapt or perish. It describes his philosophy was rather dull and lacked any big play potential, and if he wanted to compete he had to change...

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is what happens when a coach is allowed time to lose.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Ski_Money wrote:
This is what happens when a coach is allowed time to lose.

:???

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From the sound of this article it seems like Chad Pennington's presence undermined Chad Henne's ability to lead this football team. The two of them are opposites when it comes to leadership styles and so naturally the players responded better to Pennington's emotional style. Meanwhile the more quiet and reserved Chad Henne was unable to be heard even though he was the starter. I hope now that everyone knows he's the leader and he's taken over the team this offseason that he can fully control this team and run the offense effectively.
As far as Sparano, this is what I feared about him all along. He's been brought up in that conservative style of playcalling where you grind it out and don't take chances. That isn't the way the NFL runs anymore, the good teams are those that can take yardage in chunks and make big plays. To do that you've got to take chances. I just hope Sparano can reinvent himself this year with Daboll and bring this team into a period where it will become a contender once again. He's got the authority to make that kind of change, hopefully he does.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:
Man he's a slow learner.

Yes he is & this is why basically this year he is an interim coach. I hope for his sake the predictions on the other thread come to bear out because another sub par year you know Ross is gonna go after the big name guy who has been out of coaching for awhile which will not translate into more wins but will put fans in the seats (at least short term) & bring celebrities to walk the grand orange carpet.
The fact that this is all he knows or this is how he was taught while true does note do him justice because it just shows his inability to adapt.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
The fact that this is all he knows or this is how he was taught while true does note do him justice because it just shows his inability to adapt.

Doesn't the fact that he recognized a difficiency and is changing his ways prove that he does have the ability to adapt?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

degs wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Doesn't the fact that he recognized a difficiency and is changing his ways prove that he does have the ability to adapt?

No damnit, he sucks, get a rope, string him up!!!

:hithead: :hithead:

/sarcasm

Funny how he comes in with his philosophy, takes a 1-15 team and turns it to a 11-5 team and is loved by all. Then his starting QB goes down week three the following season and his team struggles the rest of the year, the defense loosing as many games as the offense, including two huge games where the offense dominated and the defense gave up the game. So he revamps the defense. The following season the defense shines but the offense struggles.
So now he revamps the offense...

Yeah, sounds like a real stubborn guy who refuses to change :hithead:

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

10acjed wrote:
Larryfinfan wrote:

I think you misinterpreted the title, the writer wasnt insinuating someone else forced him, but the fact that he had to adapt or perish. It describes his philosophy was rather dull and lacked any big play potential, and if he wanted to compete he had to change...

Good point...I can see that. I read the title as 'someone' forced him...

Either way, it's good to see that he recognizes he doesn't have to follow the Parcells blueprint. As a coach, he'll have to pull things from every place he's been to develop his MO. Too often coaches don't recognize that...hopefully it won't be too late for him...

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sparano and Henne are on the hot seat this season, the two of them are basically tied at the hip. If Sparano fails then Henne will likely leave Miami when the new coach arrives and if Henne fails then we'll likely be looking for a new head coach. Either way, both guys need to succeed this year if we're going to have a shot at making the post-season.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Sparano and Henne are on the hot seat this season, the two of them are basically tied at the hip. If Sparano fails then Henne will likely leave Miami when the new coach arrives and if Henne fails then we'll likely be looking for a new head coach. Either way, both guys need to succeed this year if we're going to have a shot at making the post-season.

I'm not really buying that they are tied to the hip. Henne could completely suck but the ground game and defense could do enough to get Miami wins. You still have Matt Moore who could conceivably come in and manage games so that the team stays competitive enough to win.

And vice versa, Henne could have a very nice statistical season but injuries to the defense (which is the only way I think they play poorly) or zero ground game could reduce Miami's win total. At that point Ireland would have to look at a better Henne and wonder if he should at least keep him if he builds a rapport with his receivers.

The only I see them completely tied to one another is if Henne is playing lousy, contributing heavily to team losses and Sparano stubbornly sticks with him.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]