View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Kindle best-case scenario for Dolphins at No. 12 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Kindle best-case scenario for Dolphins at No. 12
Quote:
by Edgar Thompson

If the Dolphins have a choice of linebackers during April’s draft, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock would select Texas outside linebacker Sergio Kindle.

Not Alabama inside linebacker Rolando McClain, the top pick of both Mel Kiper Jr and Todd McShay of ESPN on their latest mock drafts.

Mayock isn’t simply being a contrarian. Having played safety for the New York Giants in 1982-83, Mayock has a good idea how Bill Parcells thinks.

“I’m hearing a lot of people talking about McClain versus an outside linebacker, etc.,” Mayock said Tuesday during a national conference call leading up to this week’s scouting combine. “To me, in that 3-4 defense the outside linebacker is more important. So if Sergio Kindle was there at No. 12, I’d pull the trigger.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -dolphins/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Kindle best-case scenario for Dolphins at No. 12
I would not be upset if Miami took Kindle. It's either Kindle or McClain for me...if neither are there, I'd trade down.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I love Mayock.....but you can go to hell with that pick.

JK. But to pass up on McClain for any other LB would be idiotic IMO.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
IMO.

Key word here.....

I'm not gonna fall in love with anyone this year. I'm on the "I don't care, just make it stick pick wagon."

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 pm
Profile YIM
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

The Hen wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IMO.

Key word here.....

I'm not gonna fall in love with anyone this year. I'm on the "I don't care, just make it stick pick wagon."

im with ya hen. regardless of how we feel the braintrust is going to do what it does. i only hope when the smoke clears from this offseason, we will have become a better team however that happens

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm against it because Kindle could be the next Gholston or Mamula. Plus Kindle was previously arrested for DUI. from wikipedia
Quote:
Over the summer prior to the 2007 Longhorn football season, Kindle and his teammate Henry Melton were arrested in separate incidents on charges of driving while intoxicated.[3][4][5] Both players were suspended from the first three games of the season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Kindle

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Alex13 wrote:
I'm against it because Kindle could be the next Gholston or Mamula.

the same could be said for every player in the draft.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

All I know is that ILB seems to be a slightly more pressing need than OLB. Crowder is pedestrian at ILB and he is the best we have. We do have some promise at OLB though and signing JT to another year would buy us more time to find a replacement.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:44 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The Hen wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IMO.

Key word here.....

Every year I'm on the trade-back wagon as our mid round picks always seem to work out better than our first. However, this trifectica has convinced me that they can actually draft well. I really believe whomever they pick @ #12 will be good. I just don't see them pulling a Ted Ginn or Jason Allen.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Hen wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IMO.

Key word here.....

But I thought Phins Rock said we were real close? Real close implies that just a couple of draft picks in areas of need, and ILB is a need. A "make it stick" pick implies that we have more needs than Phins Rock is letting on.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gentlax13 wrote:
The Hen wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IMO.

Key word here.....

Every year I'm on the trade-back wagon as our mid round picks always seem to work out better than our first. However, this trifectica has convinced me that they can actually draft well. I really believe whomever they pick @ #12 will be good. I just don't see them pulling a Ted Ginn or Jason Allen.

Well that, and actually having a decent chance of trading back are exceedingly slim.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Hen wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IMO.

Key word here.....

Henry, I'm singing your song here. I don't even care if it's a rap song;)

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is why I don't think Kindle will be the pick at #12 for Miami and part of the reason I have seen him in the 2nd round in some mocks and even the 3rd in one of the guys from Walter's Football mock draft.

Kindle: A look beyond stats and 40 times

So now you know that Mike Mayock believes the Dolphins will draft outside linebacker candidate Sergio Kindle because he is rated No. 7 among the draft analyst's best players, and Miami needs a defensive playmaker, and all those great football reasons.

And that is dandy for an analyst looking purely at a player's skill set and matching them to a team's needs. But drafting for an NFL team is more than purely projecting whether a player can play a position or adjust to a scheme or has the physical prowess to perform.

NFL drafting is also about knowing the person, his habits, his character. And Mayock doesn't measure any of that which the Dolphins must absolutely measure before taking a gamble on anyone such as Kindle.

You see, Kindle, by all accounts a fine athlete, has had some off-field issues during his 22 years on the planet. And the Dolphins must and will collect data on those issues and include them in their evaluation of Kindle.

This isn't new. Every team does this. But for some reason, unless the issues are obvious, guys such as Mayock and Mel Kiper rarely account for them. They loved Rey Maualuga last year, but didn't say anything about the drinking problem that most teams were aware of. Not surprisingly, Maualuga, supremely talented, had a drunk driving incident in January and then reportedly checked himself into a alcohol rebabilitation center.

Now you understand why he didn't go higher in the 2009 draft?

Kindle's current state of mind and character is for NFL teams to judge now. But I can tell you he's had trouble before that Mayock didnt mention in speaking about him Tuesday on a national conference call.

In July of 2007, when Kindle was a sophomore, he was arrested for DWI. He was suspended for the first three games of the season and had to perform community service.

In June of 2009, just prior to Kindle's final season at Texas, he was involved in a car accident in which he drove his car into an apartment building at 2:50 in the morning on a Wednesday. Kindle then got the help of some friends, pulled the car out of the wrecked apartment, and put it on the street.

Then Kindle fled the scene. Having suffered a concussion, his story is he was very tired and simply went home to sleep. Kindle claims there was no alcohol involved in this accident and that he was simply texting a coach when it happened.

(Um, show of hands in the comments section for anyone who totally buys this story.)

Kindle's car, by the way, was registered to his father: Johnny Walker.

I kid you not.

Anyway, even if you are a believer, you must wonder how Kindle would handle playing in a town like mine because we got a couple of places to party down here. Fact is, even people close to Kindle wonder if he should be playing in a town like Miami.

Kindle's high school coach Bobby Estes told the New York Times in January that he and his wife "cringe" at the idea of Kindle ending up in a city like Miami and are hopeful, instead, he ends up "in a cold-weather city so he would stay inside more."

“Is he Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow citing Scripture? No,” Estes said. “But I do know that he knows right from wrong. I hope he’s making mature choices."

Kindle told the newspaper stories about his reputation as a drinker and a partier don't worry him. He told the newspaper he's "not the Sergio of '06-'07," and is now "walking a straight line."

Well, it's up to NFL teams to find out if that "straight line" is one drawn by a cop during a field sobriety test.

February 24, 2010 in Armando Salguero, Armando Salguero Column, Bill Parcells, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins Rookies | Permalink

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Honestly, there are about 5 players that I would not be upset with the phins taking at 12 and most of them should still be there by then.
McClain
Bryant
Kindle
Pierre-Paul
Dan Williams

All I think with the exception of Pierre-Paul are pretty safe picks.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

You still think Kindle is a possible safe pick after reading that article from Salguero on this kid and his drinking and driving issues? Plus, while his talent is enticing, he was not exactly the most productive kid while at Texas.

I would replace him with Brandon Graham in a heartbeast. Much more production with no nearly the talent surrounding him that Kindle had. No off the field issues, he could be a Lamarr Woodley clone for Miami.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
You still think Kindle is a possible safe pick after reading that article from Salguero on this kid and his drinking and driving issues? Plus, while his talent is enticing, he was not exactly the most productive kid while at Texas.

I would replace him with Brandon Graham in a heartbeast. Much more production with no nearly the talent surrounding him that Kindle had. No off the field issues, he could be a Lamarr Woodley clone for Miami.

I just can't see us putting a 6'1", 270 pound guy at Outside linebacker which graham is. Heck of an athlete but is a pure DE, not a guy that would do well in coverage or not out of a 3 point stance.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iceberg85 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I just can't see us putting a 6'1", 270 pound guy at Outside linebacker which graham is. Heck of an athlete but is a pure DE, not a guy that would do well in coverage or not out of a 3 point stance.

Again with the size thing. Is he too big, is that what you're saying?
Shaun Phillips is 262, Merriman is 265, Ware is 266, Lamaar Woodley is 265, Adalius Thomas is 270, Jarret Johnson is 265

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Brandon Graham will get a lot of looks from teams looking to possibly convert a DE of his caliber to a 3-4 OLB. Plus, how many times have you truly seen Jason Taylor or Joey Porter asked to play in pass coverage? It does not happen a lot, plus, you can line Graham on the strong side.

Kindle had a great game in the NC and he is no doubt a talent, but at #12, I'm not sure I want to take a chance on a kid with what is without a doubt alcohol problems.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
Brandon Graham will get a lot of looks from teams looking to possibly convert a DE of his caliber to a 3-4 OLB. Plus, how many times have you truly seen Jason Taylor or Joey Porter asked to play in pass coverage? It does not happen a lot, plus, you can line Graham on the strong side.

Kindle had a great game in the NC and he is no doubt a talent, but at #12, I'm not sure I want to take a chance on a kid with what is without a doubt alcohol problems.

thats fair, and its not that I do not like graham, because i do, just curious to see how the trifecta will approach this draft.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:
In July of 2007, when Kindle was a sophomore, he was arrested for DWI. He was suspended for the first three games of the season and had to perform community service.

In June of 2009, just prior to Kindle's final season at Texas, he was involved in a car accident in which he drove his car into an apartment building at 2:50 in the morning on a Wednesday. Kindle then got the help of some friends, pulled the car out of the wrecked apartment, and put it on the street.

Then Kindle fled the scene. Having suffered a concussion, his story is he was very tired and simply went home to sleep. Kindle claims there was no alcohol involved in this accident and that he was simply texting a coach when it happened.

Kindle's high school coach Bobby Estes told the New York Times in January that he and his wife "cringe" at the idea of Kindle ending up in a city like Miami and are hopeful, instead, he ends up "in a cold-weather city so he would stay inside more."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

I don't think Parcells will fall for this one..

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]