View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Does the Fins front office pays attn to the public opinion? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Does the Fins front office pays attn to the public opinion?
Quote:
Simon Clancy: I know the answer to this already, but when Miami drafted Ted Ginn over Brady Quinn back in 2007 and Cam Cameron addressed the fans in the immediate aftermath and made his infamous and rather overplayed ‘we drafted the Ginn family’ comment, he was booed. Do you think that reaction worried the Miami front office or do teams simply pay zero attention to what the public think?

Daniel Jeremiah: “You always hear the chatter of fans and you know that when you write out that card and hand it in that it’s not always going to be popular with the fan base, but the bottom line is that we always said at the Ravens that we don’t want to win the press conferences, we want to win the games and you have to be able to shut all those outside influences out and make the best pick for the team. And the Ted Ginn/Quinn thing is interesting because you only have to look at the Donovan McNabb/Ricky Williams situation in Philadelphia when those two came out. The Eagles fans wanted Williams and when it was announced that they’d taken Donavan and passed on Ricky, there was outrage. Now, one Superbowl appearance and something like 5 NFC Championships later, it’s pretty clear they made the right pick. So you do hear the fans and what they have to say, but you absolutely don’t let it affect your decision making. If you follow the fans, then you become a fan.”

Simon interviews a former scout on the Dolphins prospects

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... t_w_1.html

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Does the Fins front office pays attn to the public opinion?
You can't compare the Eagles' fans (those that boo at everything and coined the term 'boo birds') and Dolphins' fans. Miami had been starved for a quarterback since Marino, and Cameron needed to make a move to solidify his mark on the franchise as all he did was cut players and brought in no one except loud mouth Joey Porter. To bring in a punt returner and family was an outrage not just to Dolphins fans, but even most NFL draft experts were like "wtf"
Everyone and their dog knew it was a terrible pick made by a terrible front office. To compare Ginn to McNabb is night and day.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:31 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Between Ginn and Quinn, Ted ended up being the right choice.

But passing on the best LB in the game, and the best CB in the game......just.....ugh.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Honestly though, Quinn is close to being labeled a bust as well. I don't believe Quinn or Ginn were the right choice.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, Quinn would have for sure sunk with Cameron...but really, even if he did, couldn't you say at least he tried (Cameron)? Passing on a potential franchise QB was just stupid.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:43 pm

He is a bust. You can't possibly argue he would have been the better pick.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

In retrospect it was the right move to pass on Quinn, and several analysts agreed he was overrated. I remember Phil Simms coming out and saying Quinn was average at best when it came to throws deeper than 15 or 20 yards.

If the front office had done BPA and tried to build a new foundation then maybe Willis or Revis would be on the team.

I remember when people thought the QB class would be good. Russell, Quinn, Beck, Stanton, Kolb and Edwards...right now I think only Kolb is seen as a potential long term starter.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I wanted Quinn all the way and he hasn't done much either... so I guess it wouldn't have really mattered between the 2 of them.

I think there's a little bit of doubt inside the front offices head when they hear boo's and unhappiness from the fans. I mean ultimately they're here to win a championship, but the fans pay the checks, and they know that, so I think they'd rather hear cheering rather than booing.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:54 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If we had taken Quinn, do you think we would still be trying to develop him? Would we even have Chad Henne, or Bill Parcells for that matter? I know none of it matters now, but it's just strange to think about what would have happened..

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
If we had taken Quinn, do you think we would still be trying to develop him? Would we even have Chad Henne, or Bill Parcells for that matter? I know none of it matters now, but it's just strange to think about what would have happened..

Well that's just it...at the time Quinn was the right pick. Cam picked Ginn and ultimately sealed his fate.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Well that's just it...at the time Quinn was the right pick. Cam picked Ginn and ultimately sealed his fate.

exactly

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:27 pm

At the time, Ryan Leaf was the right pick.....

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man....cryin' Leaf.....there was a big ol' bust. At least Ted Ginn teases us with a big game once a year....or a nice catch interspersed amongst the many drops.....or an occasional TD to atone for all the negative yard plays and drops. I hate to say it, but I thought Ginn was gonna' be a star in the NFL. All the talent in the world, but he just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct....that desire to throw away caution and take risks to make big plays. It is sad to see. It sure didn't help to spend some years without a QB to deliver the deep ball to him. Imagine what he might have done on a team like the Cardinals. A future HOF QB tossing the ball to him and cornerbacks already struggling to stop Boldin and Fitzgerald.....

I was shocked when we didn't select Quinn, but I thought Ginn would end up being the WR threat we lacked. Boy was I wrong....and I kept on hoping that next year would be Ginn's year....but next year likely will never come. :cry:

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

um...

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So because of Tedd/Quinn, no Darelle Revis, Robert Meacham, Anthony Gonzalez, Dwayne Bowe, Kevin Kolb, Sidney Rice, Lamar Woodly...

The list goes on.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:18 pm

....Pat Willis.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

what is that old saying..........oh yeah, hindsight is 20/20

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

um...

Ryan Leaf? Don't forget who we picked in the first round that year .... RB John Avery. Well, at least we didn't give up 2 first round picks, a second round pick, a LB, and a Pro Bowl running back for him.

:fart:

Based on what I saw from him at Notre Dame, I wanted Quinn. I felt he didn't have the best accuracy, but he could get the ball near to his receivers and knew how to win games in the 4th quarter. Silly me;)

Looking back, Ted Ginn was the much better selection. At least he can contribute more than carrying a clip board.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]