View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Demaryius Thomas Breaks foot 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Demaryius Thomas Breaks foot
http://www.examiner.com/x-19045-NFL-Dra ... reaks-foot

he is a top 10 prospect, but without the combine he could drop to the 3rd or possibly the 4th. We should take a look at this guy as a big play big wr. 6'3" 229

stats for 2009
catches 46 yards 1,154 TDs 8

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Demaryius Thomas Breaks foot
If Miami does not take Dez Bryant in Round 1 and McClain is the pick if he is there, Thomas is a guy that I liked a lot and I would take him in the 3rd round now that you know he has the broke foot.

From what I was reading, his agent said he was running consistent 4.3 40. If true, that could have moved him into the 1st round and Kiper had him at #21 to Cincy.

He did not get a whole lot of opportunities in the Georgia Tech run oriented offense, but when you have 40 something catches for over 1,000 yards, you are a big play guy.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iceberg85 wrote:
he is a top 10 prospect

I don't know about that...

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
He did not get a whole lot of opportunities in the Georgia Tech run oriented offense, but when you have 40 something catches for over 1,000 yards, you are a big play guy.

That's exactly it...in that offense, the only catches you're going to be making are big plays because they just ram it down your throat until you get all 11 guys biting on the fake. If you can't get behind that, you're a terrible receiver. I wouldn't look too much into his yards per play...otherwise you'd have to be amazed by Nesbitt's 10.5 yards per attempt.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Thomas in the 3rd round is the steal of the draft. The kid climbs the ladder to make the play better than any WR in this year's draft, maybe with the exception of Bryant.

That said, I'll always be a little worried of taking a WR with a broken foot.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
Iceberg85 wrote:
he is a top 10 prospect

I don't know about that...

sorry meant top ten WR prospect

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:14 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

There was a play in the Georgia game, a game that Georgia Tech lost because Nesbitt got hurt and missed most of the 1st half.

Tech was down 17-7 and Nesbitt was back in. Tech thru a simple little quick pass out to Thomas pretty much right at the line of scrimmage. Thomas took the pass, shook the DB and went 70 plus yards for a TD.

Now, he did not come from a sophisticated passing offense and Nesbitt is certainly not a good passing QB, but when you put up the numbers the kid puts up, you have some ability.

To say it is primarily the offense being the reason the kid put up those type of number is way, way over simplifying things.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
There was a play in the Georgia game, a game that Georgia Tech lost because Nesbitt got hurt and missed most of the 1st half.

Tech was down 17-7 and Nesbitt was back in. Tech thru a simple little quick pass out to Thomas pretty much right at the line of scrimmage. Thomas took the pass, shook the DB and went 70 plus yards for a TD.

Now, he did not come from a sophisticated passing offense and Nesbitt is certainly not a good passing QB, but when you put up the numbers the kid puts up, you have some ability.

To say it is primarily the offense being the reason the kid put up those type of number is way, way over simplifying things.

Actually, I think to say the numbers he put up means he has ability is oversimplifying. You have to look at everything. He shook one guy and took it to the house? I can only assume that that means they had 8 or 9 in the box...or the safety took a terrible angle.
Does he have talent? Of course. Is he what his numbers say he is? It's a hard case to make based on the fact that defenses were so petrified of their run offense.

Also, playing in the ACC is a joke.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I am not saying the ACC is the best conference in the nation because they are far from it, but let not make them to be the worst conference in the nation either. Prior to this past bowl season, the Big Ten certainly did not look superior to many conferences themselves.

The only conference to put more pros in the league than the ACC is the SEC the last 5 years. As far as Thomas goes, the kid has physical ability and great size and someone will get themselves a nice WR.

Mr. College Football
NFL still loves the ACC, SEC

7:12 am April 27, 2009, by Tony Barnhart

Spring practice is officially over. The NFL Draft is officially over. So what did we learn over the weekend?

The NFL still loves the ACC, SEC: As we told you last Friday, over the past five drafts before Saturday the SEC (191) and the ACC (176) have had more draft picks than any of the nine other Division I-A conferences. In Saturday’s first round the SEC had three of the first six picks, four of the top 12 and five of the top 18.

ACC had four of the first nine and nine of the first 45, which was more than any other conference.

The SEC had eight first-round selections and the ACC had five. So 13 of the first 32 players chosen in the first round of the draft, over 40 percent, came from those two conferences. The final totals in the draft were, by conference:

CONFERENCE—–SEC—-ACC—-PAC-10—-BT—B12—-BE

Total picks———-37——-33——-32——-28—-28——27

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How many of those picks are from the University of Miami?

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Both the Canes and my Noles have been down the last few years in regards to kids going to the NFL. I believe FSU had 3 guys drafted last year and the Canes had 1 or 2 guys. Both programs are starting to make a move back up, but we will see how that goes.

As of 2007 the SEC has 263 guys in the league, then you have the ACC with 238 and then the Big Ten with 234.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Most of those picks have been BC guys!!

SC, here is the play you were talking about. Iowa, the safety took a bad angle, but the speed Thomas has is still evident.

@ :28

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My point exactly. The safeties were 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. I'm not saying he's not talented, you just can't take anything from those numbers. Any athlete worth their jockstrap can catch a little screen and make one man miss...

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Iowa, I suggest you go on youtube and watch some of the balls this guy has went up and grabbed over DB's, over the middle, and what this guy can do after the catch. That play is not nearly the begining of the story behind the kid.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowa, I suggest you go on youtube and watch some of the balls this guy has went up and grabbed over DB's, over the middle, and what this guy can do after the catch. That play is not nearly the begining of the story behind the kid.

All I'm saying is that his stats are not impressive. Put any decent receiver in that offense and they, too, will have ridiculous YPC.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Mike Mayock has Thomas as the 3rd rated WR on his board. Mayock is pretty through in watching film on all of these kids he grades. Kiper had him going at #21 to Cincy, although I obviously think he drops now because of the broken bone in his foot.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]