View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Last Night's Family Guy 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Last Night's Family Guy
I don't know how political this is. But I'll put a write up I made for an editorial.

I wasn't sure how many people would catch it, nor was I sure where the show was going with it, but last night on Family Guy they had a character with Down Sydrome.
If you don't know the show, you have been under a rock. This show, similar to South Park, deems that if you can't fun of one thing, you can't make fun of anything. I agree with this. Everything can be funny, but there has to be a sense of tactfulness when doing it, right? Otherwise it's just an attack rather than a joke.

Anyway, the episode last night featured a love interest for Chris Griffin. She had Down Syndrome. It's not like the show went out of its way to make fun of people with that disorder. In fact, why she needed to have that disorder for the story to go on is beyond me. But when Chris asked what her parents did for a living, she said her father was an accountant and her mother was the former governor of Alaska...which we can all clearly relate to as the Palin family. Sarah Palin's youngest son has Down Syndrome.

To me, this makes no sense. Why did they need to say that? It wasn't funny. It wasn't much of a joke. They essentially portrayed one of the Palin kids on their TV show.
We all know where Seth McFarlane stands on the political continuum as he has bashed the right winged beliefs on multiple occasions from Nazis wearing McCain/Palin buttons, to having a musical number approving the legalization of marijuana. Brian, the dog, is a staunch atheist and mocks anything even remotely close to a conservative belief.

I, as a conservative myself, am ok with that. In fact, I even laughed at most of it...because it's funny. And appears to be satire. But the kid with Down Syndrome having to be a member of the Palin family made absolutely no sense, and really didn't belong on the show.

So I ask your opinion. Was it funny? Was it necessary? Do the Palins have just feelings of being attacked? Is there a line that needs to be drawn as far as censorship for TV shows?

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Last Night's Family Guy
It was definitely an attack, which all things considered when it comes to politics, thats just part of the game (and nothing new for Family Guy or South Park). Attacking Palin, which they have done in the past, is what it is; I won't lose sleep. Where it crosses the line is that they brought a child into the situation; a real-life child with down syndrome. The child has done nothing wrong, is completely innocent, and cannot stand up for himself. I think its tasteless, offensive, and down right disgusting. I find it on par with racial slurs. Those are my opinions and to those who disagree, that's your choice. Honestly it makes me think twice about supporting their show with my viewing.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:11 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Love the show. Didn't see the episode but I saw Palin commenting it on it on the O'Reilly Factor.

Actually, she did an excellent interview overall. I don't think she is ready to run for the presidency and don't think I could vote for her, but she is a lot brighter and well-spoken than people on the left give her credit for.

As for Family Guy, they showed the clip and yes it was definitely an attack and an uncomfortable one at that. Anyone who would laugh at that is simply filled with hate toward Palin and doesn't care if an innocent child is mocked in the process.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:49 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It is all part of the media's attack on the Republican Party. Funny we don't see attacks on Obama or Biden of which I would think both would be easy targets.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:53 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

They are obviously doing it to get free press- I don't know if the show's ratings are down, but it seems to be a likely reason. They seem to want to pick a fight here.

No reason to bring a kid into this.

The best response is to ignore the show and to not watch it. That hurts the creators more than Palin complaining about it.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

1984phins wrote:
They are obviously doing it to get free press- I don't know if the show's ratings are down, but it seems to be a likely reason. They seem to want to pick a fight here.

No reason to bring a kid into this.

The best response is to ignore the show and to not watch it. That hurts the creators more than Palin complaining about it.

I doubt the ratings are down and I doubt that is the reason behind this.

They constantly do this type of stuff on the shows. They've had the baby dressed up as a Nazi with a McCain/Palin sticker on his shirt. They make it a habit to cross the line when it comes to humor and often times it is funny, but this time they went too far.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

That's aweful man....

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Love the show. Didn't see the episode but I saw Palin commenting it on it on the O'Reilly Factor.

Actually, she did an excellent interview overall. I don't think she is ready to run for the presidency and don't think I could vote for her, but she is a lot brighter and well-spoken than people on the left give her credit for.

As for Family Guy, they showed the clip and yes it was definitely an attack and an uncomfortable one at that. Anyone who would laugh at that is simply filled with hate toward Palin and doesn't care if an innocent child is mocked in the process.

Agreed.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Rich wrote:

Agreed.

The lady that did the voice of the girl in the episode, who also has Down Syndrome said that the incident was called "sarcasm" and Palin needs to lighten up.
I think she needs to review her concept of sarcasm, because creating a fictional character, and making it exactly like a real person with no attempt at satire is just awkward, not sarcasm.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

although appalling, I am not for censorship, especially on paid programming

I can only pray the sponsors of the network do not find it funny.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

One of the goals of the show is to make people uncomfortable its a common comedic tactic, the whole point is you are not supposed to take it seriously.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
One of the goals of the show is to make people uncomfortable its a common comedic tactic, the whole point is you are not supposed to take it seriously.

I didn't get it though. I wasn't uncomfortable, I was just like "where are they going with this?" I'm not sure I agree with it a malicious attack...it seemed more like a subliminal than any sort of joke.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
ggippo wrote:

I didn't get it though. I wasn't uncomfortable, I was just like "where are they going with this?" I'm not sure I agree with it a malicious attack...it seemed more like a subliminal than any sort of joke.

They took a shot at Palin they do it to everybody it isnt always funny

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
ggippo wrote:

So if they were taking a shot, were they mocking the fact that they have a child with Down Syndrome?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 pm

ggippo wrote:

No, they took a shot at her child. Palin isn't the one with down syndrome.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XgVgl26iVA

Wed May 12, 2010 3:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

ggippo wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XgVgl26iVA

:) Awesome

Thu May 13, 2010 7:21 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I saw the show and felt that is was in bad taste. To me you should never poke fun at some1's child, with or without a disorder. I feel if you want to poke fun or what ever then you keep it on the adults and don't put there kids in the for front. JMO.......but still like the show.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They showed it again last night. Personally I feel like its a very weak episode. But here is the deal. Its not a dig at Palin's kid. What they are doing is drawing a comparison between handicapped behavior, what some may call "retarted" behavior, and Sarah Palin personally.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 am

ggippo wrote:
They showed it again last night. Personally I feel like its a very weak episode. But here is the deal. Its not a dig at Palin's kid. What they are doing is drawing a comparison between handicapped behavior, what some may call "retarted" behavior, and Sarah Palin personally.

George.... the date said her mom was the former governor of Alaska. She has down syndrome. It is a shot at Palin's kid.

How you can draw any other conclusion from this is inexplicable to me.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If its a bad thing to be Palins kid then its a shot at the kid or why else would it matter. Shes Palins kid... so what, how is that a shot. Its an indirect shot at Palin

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:08 am
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Yeah it was a shot at both of them but that is what Family Guy does , nobody is safe & the show has no bias toward any political party as both parties are such low down scum that they will have storylines for years to come.
I do agree that kids should be left out of the headlines whether your last name is Bush , Clinton or Obama or anyone else.
I will say though that Palin needs to stop parading them around with her as well .... if privacy is to be expected you have got to keep them from the cameras.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
If its a bad thing to be Palins kid then its a shot at the kid or why else would it matter. Shes Palins kid... so what, how is that a shot. Its an indirect shot at Palin

I think I get what you're saying....to me, it was almost as if they wanted to take a shot, but made it so vague and strange that they couldn't be pinned for anything terrible.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]