View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Phins Rock first mock draft 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Phins Rock first mock draft
1) St. Louis - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska - Bar none the best player in the draft. Suh is the next Richard Seymour and will wreck havoc for the next decade in St Louis. Suh is the absolute complete package with unbelievable size, strength, athleticism, relentlessness, character...everything. There's nothing to not like about Suh. He's going to be a big time player.

2) Detroit - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma - McCoy isn't Suh, but he is one hell of a player. McCoy will be an 8+ sack guy in the middle of Detroit's D-line for years, and should be a beast in the run game as well. McCoy will open things up for everybody else and will instantly make the Lions D better. Detroit is in complete disarray right now defensively, and Jim Schwartz took a QB last year. I look for him to go D with the first pick, and McCoy is the best player available. Schwartz knows what a big time D-tackle can do for a defense, and while McCoy isn't Albert Haynesworth, he's one hell of a football player.

3) Tampa Bay - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee - Tampa will be real lucky and elated if one of the top 2 D-tackles falls to them here, but I don't see it happening. Berry is one heck of a player and will help a young Defense tremendously. Put this guy anywhere on the football field and he will make plays for you. Berry is the next Troy Polamalu, and it won't be long until he proves it at the NFL level.

4) Washington - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma - I definitely see the Skins taking a QB to build around with this pick. Whether it is Bradford or Clausen remains to be seen, but to me, the best QB in this year's draft bar none is Sam Bradford. Bradford is the prototypical NFL pocket passer and reminds me of a young Tom Brady. Mike Shanahan will be looking for the next John Elway with this pick, and I think he'll see a winner in Bradford.

5) Kansas City - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma - That's 3 Oklahoma Sooners taken in the top 5. A lot of people consider Trent Williams to be right below the other top OT's in this year's draft, but I would consider Williams to be the best pass protector in this year's class. Williams has the same type of build and style of play as Matt Light, who Scott Pioli obviously is very familiar with. While I would personally take McClain with this pick, I think KC needs to find a way to protect Matt Cassel, and drafting Williams and moving Albert to RT would go a long ways in doing just that.

6) Seattle - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame - Pete Carrol will need a young QB to build around, and he'll need to get one before Matt Hasselbeck retires. I think Clausen could be a very good QB to run a west coast type offense in Seattle, and Hasselbeck should be a very good mentor. Walter Jones needs a replacement, and while there is a lot to chose from at this spot, I think that the Seahawks delay it another few picks.

7) Cleveland - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma St. - While the Browns did take 2 WR's in the 2nd round last season, their offense is absolutely atrocious and they need a big time play-maker on the outside. While Dez is not the best player on the board, the Browns need to go offense here, even if it means reaching for somebody. They're defense is terrible as well, but not as noticeably incapable as the offense. Take Bryant, and build around him.

8) Oakland - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida - While CJ Spiller and Taylor Mays are the most attractive skill position players on the board here for Al Davis, JPP is a ridiculous athlete at DE, and the Raiders could use some help pass rush wise. While I think Paul is a bust at the next level, Al Davis will fall in love with him, and will take him at number 8.

9) Buffalo - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers - Buffalo's offensive line is second to none in the NFL in terms of terribleness. The Bills' offensive line is pathetic, and with good value here and some good OT's still available, they would be nuts not to take one here. Davis is the best available OT at this spot, in my opinion.

10) Denver - Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama - Miami fans are now devastated and looking for the nearest bridge to jump off of. I think that McClain and Haden are the two best players on the board here. CB is not a need in Denver, so I think they go get the big time ILB. Denver needs some bulk in the middle as their run D was terrible last season. McClain is a real good pick-up with Dez Bryant off the board here.

11) Jacksonville - Joe Haden, CB, Florida - This is crazy good value here for the Jags as Haden is a steal, and the Jags have needed a CB to opposite Mathis for years. Haden is a great pick at 11.

12) Miami - Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan - The Dolphins need help at LB more than anywhere else on the field, and with McClain off the board, there is no ILB really worth this pick. Bill Parcells goes with the big time pass rusher in Graham and gives himself a hell of a duo for the future with Graham and Cam Wake.

13) San Francisco - Taylor Mays, S, USC - I think Mike Singletary will fall in love with this guy. He's a Singletary type of a player. The 49ers really do not have a safety worth noting, and while I don't like Mays, I think San Fran will fall in love with his athleticism and envision a lethal combo between him and their stud in the middle Patrick Willis.

14) Seattle - Russel Okung, OT, Oklahoma St. - Okung would be a steal at 14. If recent history suggests anything, it is that OT's will not fall; in fact, teams will reach for them. This year though I see things going differently. Seattle though gets a great pass protecting OT in Okung to protect their new young QB.

15) New York Giants - Earl Thomas, FS, Texas - Anybody who saw the G-Men play last season knows that their secondary was just pathetic. They got burned by opposing QB's week in and week out with ease. They need to address the safety position, and Earl Thomas is going to be a very good FS in the NFL.

16) Tennessee - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech - Tennessee gets maybe the best pass rusher in the draft with Morgan at 16. Morgan should be able to provide a presence opposite of Kyle Vanden Bosch, and an eventual replacement as he is 31 years old. Morgan has the perfect size to play LDE.

17) San Francisco - Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa - Another first round pick for Mike Singletary. This one goes to fortifying the offensive line. Bulaga could be a steal here at 17. He fits the mold of a Mike Singletary type of a player; mean, tough, physical. He could provide SF with one of the best OT combo's in the NFL.

18) Pittsburgh - Dan Williams, DT/NT, Tennessee - Casey Hampton is a potential FA, and the Steelers need an eventual replacement even if he does come back next season. Hampton is getting older, and the Steelers always draft for the future. There aren't any interior O-lineman really worth this pick, so Pitt goes with Williams, who will be a force at 34 NT.

19) Atlanta - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida - The Falcons need to start generating more pressure on the QB, and former number 8 overall pick Jamaal Anderson has been a complete bust. John Abraham is getting older as well. Dunlap has the right size to play LDE, and is a top 10 talent. The DUI will drop him down to 19 where Atlanta gets a steal.

20) Houston - CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson - It's hard to imagine Spiller falling this far. Somebody will likely take a risk and take him in the 12-15 range. I don't like Spiller as much as most but he fits the Houston offense extremely well. He would be a perfect fit and the Texans front office would go bazurk if he fell to 20.

21) Cincinnati - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma - Gresham is going to be an absolute stud at the TE position for years to come. The Bengals need to get back to throwing the football a little more, and a big target at TE like Gresham could work wonders for Carson Palmer. A young WR is also a possibility here, but there really is nobody worth taking. That said Gresham would be a steal.

22) New England - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas - The Patriots need a pass rusher as badly as anyone in the NFL. Kindle is a good player and Bill Bellichick will have a lot of fun moving him around the front 7.

23) Green Bay - Everson Griffin, DE/OLB, USC - Aaron Kampman will probably not be back next year in GB, and that leaves a hole at OLB. Griffin wouldn't be a bad pick-up here and has ideal size to play SOLB. Other options would include ANY O-lineman available.

24) Philadelphia - Sean Witherspoon, OLB, Mizzou - Philly will probably trade out of this pick and grab a future 1st rounder, as they really do not have any holes at all...they have very good young players across the board on both sides of the football. If they do stay they take the BPA, and so Witherspoon is the pick. Witherspoon had a huge Senior Bowl and will have a monster combine. He's going to be a very good player at the next level.

25) Baltimore - Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois - The Ravens need a WR badly, and while it might be a bit of a reach, Benn is the best potential number 1 WR available, with good size, speed, agility, and hands. Baltimore will probably make a run at a veteran, but if they are forced to draft one it could very well be Benn.

26) Arizona - Muarkice Puncey, C, Florida - The Cardinals need to start running the football a little more with Kurt Warner gone and Matt Leinart now at the helm. The Cardinals have a significant hole at C, and could use a guard as well. Puncey should help shore up the inside and create some run lanes for Wells and Hightower.

27) Dallas - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame - Dallas is one of the more talented teams in the NFL, if not the most talented. Austin is a heck of a receiver on the outside, but do they really have anybody to opposite him? Roy Williams seems to get worse each Sunday, and they don't have anybody for the future at the position besides Austin. Tate could add another play maker to an already explosive offense.

28) San Diego - Jahvid Best, RB, California - While the Chargers need an every down RB, I think that they can get that a little bit later. They could lose Sproles in FA, and LT is all but gone. Best is an explosive, dynamic play maker that would add yet another weapon to the Charger offense. team him up with a power RB like a Toby Gerhart and you could be looking at a 6 ypc guy in Best.

29) New York Jets - Jared Odrick, DE/DT, Penn St. - The Jets need to find some pass rushing LBs, and while Odrick is not a LB he is an extremely talented player that would fit real well in Rex Ryan's 34 D.

30) Minnesota - Brian Price, DT, UCLA - The Vikings' Williams Wall has been an impenetrable force for the last few years, but one of the pieces is approaching 40. Kyle Wilson could also be an option at CB, but the Vikings need to get a replacement for Pat Williams, and Price could be just that.

31) Indianapolis - Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia - I think the Colts finally get smart here and go get a D-tackle. Unfortunately it's not to get a run stuffer, it's to get a fast, play making interior lineman to wreck havoc on 3rd down's with Freeney and Mathis. Atkins was unstoppable at the Sr. Bowl, and fits the Colts D real well.

32) New Orleans - Daryl Washington, LB, TCU - Washington would move to OLB in the Saints D. While New Orleans does not really have any holes anywhere, they do have some impending FA's, including Scott Fujita. Washington is a fast play making LB that could help out the Saints D from day 1, and would make an excellent 3rd down LB.

There it is....I'll tweak it after the combine, and probably change it drastically after FA.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Phins Rock first mock draft
I like our pick... seeing Graham in the senior bowl opened my eyes to his Dwight Freeney like ability... the guy is an absolute beast!!

Very different view on the top 10 is nice, but I don't think JPP goes that high... Al Davis is crazy, but someone will talk him out of that one.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pretty nice. I have two issues though. I mean, certainly Bradford could go that high, but I personally am not that high on him. I mean, guys like Huepel and White were products of Stoops' system and both Heisman candidates, one of which winning it. Bradford's wrist is an issue, and I really don't see anything from him that separates him from the other two.

Maybe it's his size ;)

Secondly, why would the Chargers draft Best only to draft another RB later? Get someone like Gerhart, keep Sproles and you save yourself a draft pick.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 pm

If they let Sproles go, is what I was saying, they should go with Best. There really isn't a top power back though at 28 though, IMO.

Like I said, after FA sorts out, it will look completely different.

We'll just agree to disagree on Bradford because I love the kid's NFL potential. Great size, arm strength isn't bad, great accuracy, good decision making, good character kid. I don't know what's not to like.

PZ, if someone couldn't talk him out of DHB, then nobody will about JPP. Paul would actually be a decent pick if he pans out.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
If they let Sproles go, is what I was saying, they should go with Best. There really isn't a top power back though at 28 though, IMO..

Ryan Matthews?

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
If they let Sproles go, is what I was saying, they should go with Best. There really isn't a top power back though at 28 though, IMO..

Ryan Matthews?

Over-rated.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like your mock Phins. I also think there is a chance that Rolando McClain and Dez Bryant are gone by the time Miami picks at #12. Brandon Graham is a guy I love and while he may be a reach at #12, he was highly productive at Michigan and I believe he has the strength to play on the strongside and has the pass rush ability to be a force. 29.5 sacks while at Michigan and his performance at the Senior Bowl says a lot.

Most mocks I have seen have the Bills taking Bryan Bulaga, probably because he is a little more polished and Iowa puts out top notch lineman. Anthony Davis is very talented though, probably more talented than Bulaga.

I think the Chargers will hold on to Darren Sproules since they are not bringing LT back. I think they will look for a power back and can get Toby Gerhart in the 2nd or 3rd round. Jonathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech is a big back the Chargers could look at along with LaGarette Blount out of Oregon and Anthony Dixon out of Mississippi State.

Taylor Mays is a guy that I believe may drop. Yes, he has tremendous physical ability and is a specimen, but he has only 5 career interceptions. He seems more concerned about making the big hit instead of playing the ball and he makes you wonder about his awarness on the field.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Anthony Davis is very talented though, probably more talented than Bulaga.

:no:

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

biased :ann0y:

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Alex13 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

biased :ann0y:

:yay:

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin giving PhinsRock a run for his money there. We know how Phins loves him some Boston College Eagles......... :grin:

Bulaga is a hell of a player, no doubt, and you know he has been well coached.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 pm

I have them taking Davis because I think he is a little more athletic, and would fit Gailey's run n' gun type offense he is bringing to Buffalo a little bit better.

Bulaga might be the most polished OT in this year's draft, but I see limited potential.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Ryan Matthews?

Over-rated.

Why is Ryan Mathews overrated. Good mock but Geno Atkins will be lucky to sniff the third round. Benn is a reach and Washington could be too.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Atkins had a great senior bowl, and I think that there will be a run on DT's this year. I think he'll improve his stock even further at the combine.

Washington is another guy that will improve his stock in the combine.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Atkins had a great senior bowl, and I think that there will be a run on DT's this year. I think he'll improve his stock even further at the combine.

Washington is another guy that will improve his stock in the combine.

Atkins looked dreadful during the week of practices up until the game. At his size he really needs to impress. I don't see how Washington is better than Spikes or even Daryl Sharpton.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Spikes is a slow MLB. Sharpton is a little under-sized, and I think Washington is overall a better athlete and player.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Spikes is a slow MLB. Sharpton is a little under-sized, and I think Washington is overall a better athlete and player.

Sharpton is a U linebacker and isnt any smaller than Washington

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm

I couldn't care less what school he comes from.

Washington has 3 inches and a few pounds on him. Plus, Washington is a little faster, and from what I can tell a little more fluid. I just think he's a good fit playing next to Vilma in NO.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Washington has 3 inches and a few pounds on him.

Yeah guys, it doesn't matter what program you come from...it's simply size that makes a good football player.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm

I didn't mean it that way. Obviously there is a difference between a LB coming from USC and one from Hoftra. The last few years though, TCU has been the better program.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:

Washington has 3 inches and a few pounds on him. Plus, Washington is a little faster, and from what I can tell a little more fluid. I just think he's a good fit playing next to Vilma in NO.

Well you shouldnt care less because certain schools send more players to the NFL more than others and the U has a habit of sending a starting caliber linebacker into the draft almost every year. Also Washington has one inch on him.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I didn't mean it that way. Obviously there is a difference between a LB coming from USC and one from Hoftra. The last few years though, TCU has been the better program.

Hofstra no longer has a football program :yay:

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:28 am

There you go....lol

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]