View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The failure of Porter's termination a concern 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post The failure of Porter's termination a concern
Quote:
And this one arose out of one of several possibilities:

A. Somebody in Dolphins management messed up when figuring Porter's cap acceleration as it pertains to 2009. This is hard to do because it really is a simple math issue. The responsible party here would have to be the team's capologist.

B. Somebody in Dolphins management didn't know or fully understand the league salary cap rules as they currently stand. The responsible party here would have to be the team's capologist.

C. Somebody wasn't fully up to speed on the Dolphins salary cap situation. Again, the responsible party here would have to be the team's capologist who is supposed to be able to recite the team's cap situation from memory if need be

D. Somebody in Dolphins management took it upon themselves to release Porter without consulting the team's capologist. The responsible party here would be whomever didn't work with the capologist.

Although it is possible, it is hard to fathom D. Somebody doesn't just get a hankerin' to cut Joey Porter one Friday afternoon and simply do it without consulting anyone. The Dolphins pour over decisions such as these (I hope) and plan the steps to carrying them out. One of those steps is typically to check with the capologist to see what salary cap ramifications the move has.

I'm more inclined to think A, B or C betrayed the Dolphins on this matter. And that points directly to new senior vice president of football operations Dawn Aponte.

More: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... ncern.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:38 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: The failure of Porter's termination a concern
Perhaps the Dolphins knew full well that Joey couldn't be released yet but did it anyways to get him to shut up. They may have thought to make his release public knowledge so that he would shut his yapper about wanting to be released. Its just a theory, I don't know why they did what they did, but that's what came to my mind.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think it's a concern. It's a mistake, and a very understandable one. The rules for this year are nothing like these guys have seen before. I think you'll see this kind of thing a lot before it's all said and done.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:22 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
I don't think it's a concern. It's a mistake, and a very understandable one. The rules for this year are nothing like these guys have seen before. I think you'll see this kind of thing a lot before it's all said and done.

That's exactly how I think what happen

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

19GonnaCsonkaYa73 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

That's exactly how I think what happen

Plus we just hired the new chick for cap purposes like a week ago.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

She probably wasn't intimately familiar with everything yet. SIP said we want Joey gone. And maybe the issue was forced without actually knowing whether or not it was possible. It doesn't matter though. Porter will be cut in a couple weeks when the new league year officially starts.

Not to mention she probably has a lot going on in her life.. Probably finding schools for any children and finding a new home while transitioning into a new position. It's not a good excuse but still might have caused her to overlook something.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Perhaps this move was done intentionally.

It is now public knowledge that dealing with Porter at this time isn't worth any potential compensation. And worth any potential embarrassment for the pleasure of shutting him up. He wants to be traded, so we just cut him. We let him, and the league, know just how much we think he's worth. Other teams will pay attention to that. Add that to his not better than average season and we have sent a very clear message which says "Joey Porter = Massive Headache."

Ultimately we farted by the door on the way out, and Joey has to explain why he stinks (of course this was after he crapped on the carpet in the living room cause we changed the channel).

I'm not necessarily arguing this, but it is possible (however remote).

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

E:leaf....I had the same idea.

Porter is trying to screw us....by doing this, we're lowering his price in FA, and screwin him back.

Shove it Peezy.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:46 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

From PFTv:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/15/pft-daily-the-joey-porter-gaffe/

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]